The Heart Brings You Back

Guest Stevie

Thanks for the comments :D

Chapter 11

Dan was sitting by himself at the local pub, he’d already had four beers and was in the middle of another one. When Amanda got home after her audition they got into another fight, so he decided to go down to the pub and place a few bets. He’d been doing alright he thought, but then he lost all his winnings, and then some, in one big bet. So he decided to drown his sorrows. Suddenly he felt a hand on his shoulder. He turned around and saw a familiar face.

“Hey Pete, how are you going?” Dan asked as he greeted his brother, “you want a beer?”

“Yeah sure,” he replied, “but I think you’ve had enough.”

“Whatever mate,” Dan replied. “Two beers thanks.”

“So how are you?” Peter asked, sounding worried.

“I’m fine,” Dan replied. “I’m fine.”

A guy came up to Dan and said, “tough luck tonight mate.”

Dan just nodded glumly at him.

“What was that about?” Peter asked.

“I just lost some money in a bet, that’s all.” Dan replied innocently.

“How much money?” Peter asked cautiously.

“Just three hundred dollars.” Dan mumbled as he quickly took another sip of his beer.

“Three hundred dollars!” Peter yelled. “What are you crazy?!”

“No!” Dan replied angrily, “just leave it!”

“Well, what do you think Amanda’s going to say?” Peter asked.

“You’re not going to tell her are you?” Dan pleaded.

“Of course I won’t,” Peter assured him, “but you have got to give up this gambling.

“Whatever,” he replied.

Suddenly Peter’s phone rang. “It’s work, I’ve got to take it.” He said as he moved away.

“Sure,” Dan replied.

“Peter Baker.” Peter answered, “yeah, ok, I’ll be in right away.”

Peter walked back over to Dan. “Look, I’ve got to go,” he said. “But promise me you’ll stop this gambling.”

“Yeah, ok,” Dan replied, “see you later.”

“See ya,” Peter said as he began to leave. “Oh, and catch a cab home, you can’t drive.”

“Another beer mate?” The bartender asked Dan.

“Yeah, thanks,” he replied.

“Hey Dan,” someone said behind him.

He looked around and saw who it was. It was Blake Silver.

“I heard about your bad luck tonight.” He said.

“Yeah,” Dan said glumly.

“Well I’ve got a good tip for a race tonight.” Blake said knowingly.

“Nah, I can’t,” Dan replied. “I promised my brother I wouldn’t.”

“It’s just one bet,” Blake urged, “you might win your money back.”

“Go and brush your teeth and get ready for bed,” Amanda told her son. “I’ll be in, in a minute to put you to bed.”

She looked at her watch. Why wasn’t Dan home yet? She looked at her watch again. Frustrated she went to the kitchen and poured herself her third glass of wine. Suddenly she heard the front door open. She went to see who it was. It was Dan.

“Oh, you’re home,” she said disapprovingly.

“Yep!” He replied excitedly, “and I just won us a lot of money!”

• Replies 96
  • Created
  • Last Reply

This one is a short chapter

Chapter 12

Dan awoke the next morning to find the space next to him empty. Not again, he thought to himself. He got up and made his way to the kitchen, only to find a delicious breakfast spread across the table.

“Hey, what’s all this?” He asked pleasantly. “You haven’t been cooking have you?”

“Morning Dad,” Ryan said, greeting him with a hug.

“Morning mate,” Dan replied, hugging him back.

“I just thought we could celebrate, that’s all,” Amanda explained, “and no, I didn’t cook, I ordered in.”

“Oh, good, but I thought we did enough celebrating last night,” Dan replied cheekily, winking at Amanda.

“That’s enough Dan,” Amanda replied, grinning. “Now let’s dig in!”

They all sat around the table and ate their breakfast. They talked, they laughed, and for once, they actually looked like a real family.

Peter sleepily took a sip of his fourth cup of coffee. He was sitting at his desk at the police station when his partner came over to him.

“Come on Pete, you’ve been here all night,” she said. “Go home and get some sleep.”

“I’m fine Sara,” he assured her. “I am.”

“I don’t buy it,” she responded, “Go on, go home.”

“Ok, fine,” he replied, putting his arms up and surrendering. “See you later.”

Peter didn’t want to go home, because at home he would be alone. And when he is alone, he thinks about Amanda.

Another short one

Chapter 13

Dan was relaxing in front of the television when Amanda emerged from the bedroom, keys in hand and her handbag on her shoulder.

“I’m off to the shops now,” she stated, “and I’m also going to stop by to see my agent.”

“Yeah, ok,” Dan replied, not turning away from the TV.

“Ryan is playing in his room,” Amanda explained, “I’ll be back later.”

“Yeah, we’ll be fine Amanda,” Dan replied. “Oh, before I forget, mum and dad have invited us out to dinner tomorrow night, is that cool?”

“Yeah, that’s fine.” She agreed as she walked out the door, “bye!”

Peter heard a knock at the door, he dragged himself out of bed and went to answer it. When he opened it he was shocked to see Amanda standing in front of him.

“Hello Peter,” she said.

“Hi Amanda,” he replied, a little confused. “What are you doing here?”

“After our kiss, I haven’t been able to stop thinking about you,” she explained sexily. “I want you Peter!”

She put her arms around him and began to kiss him passionately. This feels great! Peter thought to himself. Being with her like this felt right. It was perfect. She begun unbuttoning his shirt as they fell onto the couch.

“Thud!” Peter awoke with a start as he woke up on the floor next to his bed. Oh no! He was dreaming and he must have fallen out of bed. He groaned to himself as he picked himself up off the floor, and headed to the bathroom to have a shower.

:lol: If only it wasn't a dream :wub::P

Chapter 14

When Dan and Amanda arrived at the restaurant his parents were already there and seated.

“Sorry we’re late,” Dan apologised as he gave his parents each a hug. “Our babysitter was late.”

“That’s ok honey,” Noelene replied, “hello Amanda.”

“Hi Noelene, hi Kevin,” Amanda responded.

Kevin just grunted a reply and Noelene elbowed him.

“Ow!” He screamed. “God Noelene, what was that for?”

“Be polite,” she ordered.

“So where’s Peter?” Dan asked, trying to change the subject.

“He’s not here yet,” Noelene replied angrily.

“Ha, what do you expect,” Kevin added disapprovingly.

Dan and Amanda looked at each other uneasily as they took their seats. This was going to be a long night.

We should just order without him,” Noelene said impatiently when Peter still hadn’t arrived.

“He probably just got held up Mum,” Dan assured her, “let’s wait a few more minutes.”

Kevin let out another grunt. Noelene shot him an evil glare.

At that moment Peter arrived, “sorry I’m late everybody, I got held up at work.”

“So you finally decided to grace us with your presence, did you?” Kevin spat angrily.

“God, I just walked in the door Dad!” Peter replied, becoming annoyed.

“I know that’s the problem.” He shouted.

“Lower your voice Kev,” Noelene said, trying to calm him down.

“I will not lower my voice Noelene!” He snapped. “The boy needs to learn some respect!”

“This isn’t about me coming late at all,” Peter argued, raising his voice. “This is about the fact that I became a cop, isn’t it?”

“You know how I feel about it Peter!” He yelled.

“I still don’t get it!” Peter yelled. “I don’t understand what was so bad about me following my dream and becoming a cop!”

“You walked out on us!” Kevin yelled back, “you thought you were to good for us, for our town, so you moved to the city! Then you moved all the way out here to LA!”

“I wasn’t abandoning you! I was working! But you didn’t care!” Peter spat.

“Ok guys, let’s just let it go,” Dan said, trying to intervene.

Kevin and Peter refused to stop arguing, and while Dan and Noelene attempted to calm them down, Amanda sat silently, drinking her glass of wine.

“You know what Dad?” I’m outta here!” Peter yelled, “I don’t know why you even invited me!”

“That’s right! Walk out on us again!” Kevin roared as Peter walked out of the restaurant.

“Excuse me,” Dan said, excusing himself, as he chased after his brother.

“I’m going to the bar,” Kevin declared, storming off.

Amanda and Noelene were left sitting at the table alone, together.

“I’ve got to say Noelene, this was a great idea,” Amanda said mockingly as she held up her now empty glass of wine.

“You know I can see right through you Amanda,” Noelene warned. “Dan might not be able to see what you’re really like, but I can.”

“You know Noelene,” Amanda began. “Mother’s shouldn’t interfere in their son’s relationships, I’ve seen families torn apart.”

“Is that a threat?” Noelene asked angrily.

“No, it’s a warning.” Amanda replied. “I’ve said it to you before Noelene and I’ll say it again, if you interfere in my relationship with Dan, I’ll make sure that you lose him forever.”

“You are just a manipulative bitch Amanda!” Noelene spat.

Before Amanda could say anything, Dan returned. “Pete’s gone,” he informed them, “and I think we should go too.”

“Why?” Noelene asked sadly.

“Look, it got off to a bad start and no one is in a good mood.” He answered, “so I think we should just go.”

“Oh, ok,” Noelene responded.

“Ok, see you later Mum,” Dan said, kissing her on the cheek, “and say goodbye to Dad for me.”

“Bye Noelene,” Amanda said, giving her a look that showed that she meant what she had said.

“Bye,” Noelene said as she waved goodbye to her son, and the wicked witch.

I'm not going to be able to update for a few days, as I am not going to be home.

Archived