I know you love cliffhangers, and they were just for you! :wink:

And who is that female survivor?

Which Summer Bay residant, use to have a drinking problem? :ph34r:

Thanks you 5 :D

• Replies 72
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Part Five

Both ambulances sped off carrying Tony in one and Peter in the other, it had taken them a few hours to cut them free from what was left of the Mercedes.

The woman driver of the other car was still sitting dazed by the roadside hen after both Tony and Peter had been freed from their car. She was wearing a white coat and even that looked clean, which seemed incredible given the condition of the men who were in the Mercedes.

“Isn’t she going to the hospital?” one of the firemen asked the highway patrol men.

“She says she’s ok. There are no apparent injuries. She was damn lucky. She feels terrible about the crash. Were going to run her home in a minute.”

The firemen nodded glancing at her, she was crying softy into her handkerchief, still trying to come to terms with what had happened.

“I have to check her blood alcohol level, we have reasons to believe she had been drinking,” Officer Lara, told the highway patrol man, he nodded and watched Lara walk over to the woman.

At eleven fifty Amanda was watching an old movie on TV. Amanda pulled the blanket up to her chin, it was cold. Peter was twenty minutes late. At midnight there was still no sign of Peter. Ryan was sleeping peacefully by her side, he had, had a bad dream just a few hours before. Amanda thought of calling Tony’s place, but she knew there was no point. If they were still out, it wouldn’t matter anyways. By 1 o’clock she was very worried. She was just deciding to call the Holden house, when the phone rang, at five after one. She assumed it was Peter letting her know he wouldn’t be home for a few more hours.

“Hello?” the voice at the other end said, he sounded confused. Amanda even more so. It wasn’t Peter at all, it was a stranger. She couldn’t even begin to imagine who would call her at this hour.

“Is this the Baker residence?”

“Yes, who is this?”

“This is the highway patrol, Mrs Baker; this is Mrs Amanda Baker isn’t it?”

“Yes,” Amanda replied in a whisper, a sudden fear clutched her throat and held it.

“I’m sorry to tell you… your husband has been in an accident.”

“Oh my god,” her whole body came alive and her mind was filled with terror. “Is he alive?”

“Yes, but he was unconscious on the way to the Northern District Hospital. He was seriously hurt.”

“What happened?” came a pathetic croak from Amanda’s throat.

“It was a head on collision. They were hit by a sound bound vehicle on their way out of Summer Bay.”

Amanda let out a whimper.

“He is at the Northern District Hospital now, I suggest you go their pretty quickly.”

“Oh... god… thank yo,” Amanda hung up the phone and frantically dialled the hospital. They told her Peter was there, and they were unable to give out any information on his condition.

The hospital was about a ten minute drive from Amanda’s home, and she parked in the first space she found. She forgot her keys in the car and ran into the building. The emergency department was alive, with lights flashing and people rushing around. A few people were standing in the corridor waiting for treatment. A woman in labour walked by looking uncomfortable leaning on her husband. But all Amanda wanted to see was her husband. She went to the desk and asked Nurse Julie where she could find Peter. Julies face sobered up instantly as she glanced up at Amanda. Amanda was dead white and shaking.

“Amanda, Peters husband,” Julie said softly. Amanda nodded, feeling her body shake more. “Is he... is he…”

“He’s alive,” Amanda’s legs went weak, as Julie came around the desk and held her firmly.

“He’s very badly hurt Amanda. She has a severe head injury. Our neurosurgical team is with him now, and were waiting for our head of services to arrive. When he gets here we will be able to tell you more, but Peters hanging in there.” Nurse Julie led Amanda to a chair and helped her sit down. It was as though the whole world had been turned upside down in a single moment.

“Would you like a cup of coffee?” Julie looked sympathetically down at her, and Amanda tried not to cry as she shook her head, but it was hopeless. The tears instantly overflowed as she tried to absorb what Nurse Julie had said.

“Are you ok?” Julie asked her. It was obvious that Amanda wasn’t, as she blew her nose and shook her head.

“Was anyone else hurt, Tony?” Amanda finally managed to croak.

“The other passenger, Tony was severely injured,” Nurse Julie informed her. What will Matilda do? Do Lucas and jack know? Are they ok? All these thoughts began to run through her mind. Amanda glanced up and saw a young girl emerge from the emergency room. She walked out the treatment room in a daze, and seemed to stare at Amanda without realizing who she actually was. Nurse Julie discreetly moved away as Matilda approached Amanda.

Amanda looked up at Matilda and suddenly felt angry. Angry that this had happened, why her? After everything Amanda had been through. She wanted to scream at Matilda for hurting her daughter, but instead she patted the seat next to her gently and watched Matilda sit down.

“Hows Tony?” Amanda asked her gently.

“He has multiple compound fractures of both legs, a shattered hip, a broken pelvis and internal injures. They are removing his spleen right now, and he may have damaged his liver. They have to replace the hips, put the pelvis together with pins, he may never walk again…”Matilda trailed off. Suddenly Amanda had all the sympathy in the world for Matilda, first her mum now maybe Tony. For a 16 year old she had gone through so much. Much more then Amanda had.

Who's the other passenger?

It was only Tony and Peter in the car. :)

Thanks to everyone who comented.. I hope your enjoying it! :D

Part Six.

Matilda and Amanda had been sitting in the waiting room for the past hour. Tony was still in surgery and there was no word yet on Peter. Lucas had briefly joined them, but left shortly after to go home and get some rest. There had been no sign of Kit. Even though Kit was still living with Tony; she had been very depressed since Beth’s death. She had given Kim and Rachel her baby son, which they named Bobby. Amanda had called Dan and filled him in on what happened. Dan wanted to come, but Amanda had told him she would ring him if anything happened and to go over to her place and keep an eye over Belle and Ryan.

Matilda and Amanda had hardly said a word to each other since Matilda told her how Tony was. Matilda was too scared to ask about Peter, she could only imagine how he would be. Amanda was still crying when a man in jeans and a stripped blue top walked towards them. He had on a plastic tag from the newsroom and a cassette recorder in his hand.

“Mrs Baker?” he asked very directly, he stood close to her, watching his directions.

“Yes?” Amanda was so dazed she didn’t realize who he was, and for an instant she thought he might be a doctor. She looked up at him as Matilda watched on, in suspicion.

“Hows Peter doing?” he asked, sounding as if he knew him. He had gotten Peter’s name from the nurse.

“I don’t know… I thought you would know,” Amanda said slowly. And then she noticed the mans badge, with his photograph, name and network.

“What do yo want from me?” Amanda asked, she looked confused.

“I just wanted to know how you are… how Peter is… Do you know the other man involved, Tony Holden?” he pressed as hard as he could until Matilda cut him off.

“Tony Holden, is not just a name or a thing, he is a human being. Also I don’t think this is the right time,” Matilda stood up.

“Did you know that Kit Hunter was the other driver, she doesn’t have a scratch. How does that make you feel Mrs Baker?” He pressed on. Matilda’s eyes grew very large and her mouth was now open shocked.

“Did you say Kit Hunter?” Matilda demanded him. He nodded. Amanda grabbed Matilda’s wrist, but Matilda pulled away and ran down the hall. Amanda was going to chase after her before she did or said something she would regret. But changed her mind almost instantly when she remembered the man she loved may not make it.

Amanda looked up at the reporter and took a deep breath.

“You have no right to be doing this, not now. My husband may be dying right now, and you want to know how I am?! Well I will tell you, I’m terrified, I’m scared and I’m pissed off. I’m pissed off that an insensitive reporter won’t leave me alone!” Amanda shouted at him, he took a step back from her and she began to sob.

“Just leave us, leave me alone,” she sobbed, forcing the words to come out. She dropped down and put her head into her hands, leaning forwards. He and his cameraman were in the waiting room for just over an hour, before they left. It was half past 3 in the morning and Amanda was drinking her 5th coffee. Jack came in; his eyes were red and puffy. He took a seat next to Amanda and turned towards her.

“Amanda,” he said softly. Amanda looked over towards him.

“I’m so sorry about Peter,” he said gently. Amanda didn’t know how to react to that, so instead she took her anger out on him.

“Don’t talk about Peter like he is dead,” she snapped,” he is not dead, he is… I don’t know where he is, but don’t talk about my husband, like he is dead!” Jack was rather shocked about her outburst. Amanda opened her mouth to apologize, but nothing came out. Jack took that as a hint to leave her be. He stood up and left. Matilda passed Jack on her way back in, she gave him a small smile and he returned it. Matilda gently sat down next to Amanda. She studied her face for a few moments before taking Amanda’s hand and putting it in her own.

“I’m sorry about before, I’m just so scared,” Matilda apologized. Amanda nodded gratefully.

“I’m scared too; I’m scared of what is going to happen to Peter, whether he will live or not,” Amanda admitted. Matilda nodded, she knew what she meant.

Amanda was grateful to have Matilda there for her, although herself and Matilda weren’t close and their history wasn’t the best of ones. Especially the part about marrying her grandfather. But the nevertheless they needed one another. They needed someone to help them through this. All Amanda could think about at this moment was the condition Peter was in, and how badly she wanted to see him. It was another hour before the nurse approached her again. The neurosurgeons were ready to see her.

“Can I see my husband?”

“Not yet Mrs Baker. The doctors would like to see you first to explain his condition to you.” the Nurse replied. Amanda stood up, as Matilda gave her a worried expression.

“Do you want me to go with you?” Matilda slowly asked her, Amanda hesitated then nodded.

Archived