Madeline McCann

Guest ~Angel~

• Replies 222
  • Created
  • Last Reply

^^ 'Cause they can still get money for her. All they have to do is release a video of her and demand money to bring her home safely. :angry:

Yer there is some sick people in this world!

If shes brought home safely the bloddy people who have got her will serve what 5 years of their sentance!

This is has really threw me, i feel so sorry for Kate and Gerry. I know they made a mistake but i hate the way that some people are slagging them of, they need our support!!-i watched a really horrible video on youtube! Im just glad that everything possible is being done or seems to be, the Mcanns have flown lawyers out to Portugal to try and set up a public fund so people can donate money to help them remain in Praia da Luz to find Maddie-hopefully everyone on this site will donate! I hope to god they she returns with all my heart!

I think these parents are going through the worst kind of hell...so criticising their actions is hardly supportive...or constructive. Whatever the rights and wrongs of the situation they are clearly loving and caring parents..and are desperate to have their little girl home. We...who do not know the facts...only a version of them produced by the media...who after all are not the most reliable sources of information.....have no right to condemn. They need support at what must be the most terrifying and tormenting ordeal any parent can face.

What will help is if people act constructively to help... e mail the story to every person you know in every corner of the world, America, Africa, Australia, Europe, Asia...... anywhere..... someone somewhere knows where that little girl is.

They reckon when a child goes missing the first 24 hours are the most crucial. I believe in America, when a kid goes missing, they immediately flood TV, radio etc etc with details and there's much, much more chance of someone recognising the kid and them being reunited with their family. I was shocked watching the news the other night when they were asking Spanish people if they recognised Madeleine and only about 50% of people did - Spain is, if my geography's correct, the closest country to Portugal so there's a strong chance she could have been taken there - so why didn't the Portuguese police publicize her picture and details all over Spain?

Apparently in the 1990s a little boy called Ben Needham went missing in (not sure of country, Turkey or Greece). He was never found but the family still believe he's being brought up by a childless couple and that he was snatched to order. I guess the best case scenario would be for Maddie to have been snatched by a childless couple, but it's not looking good. :(

Let's hope she's found soon.

Apparently in the 1990s a little boy called Ben Needham went missing in (not sure of country, Turkey or Greece). He was never found but the family still believe he's being brought up by a childless couple and that he was snatched to order. I guess the best case scenario would be for Maddie to have been snatched by a childless couple, but it's not looking good. :(

Let's hope she's found soon.

Yeah, Ben was taken in January '90. The reason I know is 'cause my mum got really worried 'cause I was a newborn baby at the time. There's been sightings of him, and they found a male matching his appearance who was then DNA tested, but unfortunately it came back negative.

It must be horrendous, though, because if you know your child's dead (as in the cases of Milly Dowler and Jessica Chapman and Holly Wells, whose bodies were found) it is probably possible to go through the grieving process. If you child's death is never confirmed, however, it must be like being in some eternal limbo. Although no parent wants their child dead, at least they know where they are and that they're not suffering anymore. The unknown must be horrible. :(

It was greece I googled it!!!!!!

But I hope to god that whoever has her is taking care of her! :(

What I find most facinating (what a grotesque word to use in a case like this) is how this makes people really aware of it.

I don't know about other countries, but here in Norway there have been some news coverage of trying to track down paedophile networks. These are networks all over the world, having millions and millions of pictures and videos, and the police is trying to track down the offenders by for example looking at signs on the children that can tell them where they are located (for example they saw a bracelet from an amusement park in Spain and assumed the offender was located somewhere in the area).

Madeline is far from the only one, but it's only when we hear stories like this one we really can see things in perspective and realise that all the faceless victims we hear about on the news have a story.

I kind of got the same feeling with WTC. You were gazing at the TV, almost facinated by this extreme events, and how far people would go. It was sad of course, but a number is just a number, so even though I knew what happened that day the movie "World Trade Center" really took my breath away, because I realised that behind those numbers there are stories, and so many people involved. Perhaps more than we can ever imagine, and they all have their own, tragic story.

Back to the Madeline case; of course I think this is horrible. This case really makes me think of something I heard a while ago. Unfortunately I can't remember who said it, or where I heard it (help appreciated), but it was something like "All fantasies are harmless and not evil themselves, it's just if or when you choose to act out those fantasies they can become evil."

I don't think that was exactly what it was, but anyway, I think it's very true.

I think I might have heard it on Criminal Minds or something...

What I find most facinating (what a grotesque word to use in a case like this) is how this makes people really aware of it.

I don't know about other countries, but here in Norway there have been some news coverage of trying to track down paedophile networks. These are networks all over the world, having millions and millions of pictures and videos, and the police is trying to track down the offenders by for example looking at signs on the children that can tell them where they are located (for example they saw a bracelet from an amusement park in Spain and assumed the offender was located somewhere in the area).

Madeline is far from the only one, but it's only when we hear stories like this one we really can see things in perspective and realise that all the faceless victims we hear about on the news have a story.

I kind of got the same feeling with WTC. You were gazing at the TV, almost facinated by this extreme events, and how far people would go. It was sad of course, but a number is just a number, so even though I knew what happened that day the movie "World Trade Center" really took my breath away, because I realised that behind those numbers there are stories, and so many people involved. Perhaps more than we can ever imagine, and they all have their own, tragic story.

Back to the Madeline case; of course I think this is horrible. This case really makes me think of something I heard a while ago. Unfortunately I can't remember who said it, or where I heard it (help appreciated), but it was something like "All fantasies are harmless and not evil themselves, it's just if or when you choose to act out those fantasies they can become evil."

I don't think that was exactly what it was, but anyway, I think it's very true.

I think I might have heard it on Criminal Minds or something...

Eli, I totally understand what you're saying. You only have to look on milk bottles to see the sheer numbers of missing people. Okay, so they may not all be beautiful four year-old girls, abducted whilst on holiday, but all the victims' families are affected - they all have their own stories to tell. I think the saddest thing that we can learn from this is the sheer perverseness of some humans in this world. :(

They reckon when a child goes missing the first 24 hours are the most crucial. I believe in America, when a kid goes missing, they immediately flood TV, radio etc etc with details and there's much, much more chance of someone recognising the kid and them being reunited with their family.

Last summer when I was in Canada I saw this infomercial that really facinated me. In BC (I don't know about the other provinces) they have something called Code Amber, or something like that. It's named after a little girl, and it works like when a childe goes missing digital roadsigns and stuff like that will read "AMBER" or "CODE AMBER". I also think it displays a phone number for people to call to get information about what and who to look out for, so people away from TV or internet can have the opportunity. I also think they display the license plate number if they have a suspect. I think this is very clever, cause in only a few minutes they will let people all over the area know what's going on, people who otherwise wouldn't have known anything for hours. These people might even have important information because they can see things on the road.

I found the website for it, I haven't had time to read it though: http://www.codeamber.org/

Jess - I agree! We only hear a very limited number of stories, but if you ask me the stories about the families and how happy they were can be just as important as hearing the police telling you people are missing and they want people to look out over and over.

It's a horrible thing to say, but after the tsunami it was practically the only thing we saw on the news, and as horrible as it is we got tired. You just got sick of hearing the numbers getting higher every day, because no matter how much you tell yourself 10 or 100 000 is a lot of people you don't really see how horrible it is. By telling their stories people care about these victims, and they want to do something about it, if nothing else to prevent it from happening again.

According to wikipedia 2,749 died in the 9/11 attacks, I didn't cry a single tear until I heard the story of one of the families who lost a son and brother in a documentary more than five years later.

Archived