A way with acting

Guest Andy

A way with acting

Sydney MX

Copyright 2007 News Ltd. All Rights Reserved

Soaps are anything but froth and bubble for this Home and Away star.

AMY MATHEWS, HOME AND AWAY, CHANNEL 7

In a land where "serious" actors self-indulgently ruminate and postulate on their own importance, the word "soap" is spat out like a piece of Hubba Bubba that has lost its taste.

A "serious" actor would never consider a role on Home and Away or Neighbours, even though Guy Pearce and Russell Crowe both started on soaps.

But for Amy Mathews, the biggest surprise in joining Home and Away more than a year ago was how hard soapie actors work.

"It is a testament to how great they are," she said. "And it can be a thankless task because of the notions of `a soap'.

"I would say without contest that, working in soap, are the hardest-working actors in the industry in the sense of time, workload and turnover.

"I might get in trouble for saying that, but everyone works really, really hard."

And Mathews is no stranger to hard work.

Over the past 12 months her character, Dr Rachel Armstrong, has had her professionalism criticised, fallen in love with Kim Hyde (Chris Hemsworth), walked down the aisle and found out her hubby is sterile.

More recently Rachel has had to deal with her husband expecting a child with another woman, Kit.

"I am not sure they're (Rachel and Kim) going to make it, but I do hope they hold on to each other," she said. "They love each other very much."

Mathews said she hoped this year Rachel's dodgy past would come out.

"I'd like something a bit shady because she is just so kind of wonderful and lovely and great that maybe she has a chink in the armour, some dirty little secret somewhere or flaw she can't hide any more," she said.

NEED TO KNOW

'All-time favourite TV show?

Six Feet Under. I really love that show even though it is a recent one.

Current fave show?

I get out the DVDs at the video store. I love Scrubs, The Office and Extras. I'm also into Ab Fab, Sex and the City and The Sopranos.

Wouldn't watch if you paid me:

The reality TV boom that is happening. It is lazy viewing - and I am not just saying that because I'm an actor."

Archived