I Will Never Regret A Second I Spend In Your Arms

Guest PINK

Tony was standing there dumbfounded,

“What” he asked

“She came over here about half an hour after you left and she told me that she is dying and needs me to look after Rory after she’s gone” he said struggling with the last part of his sentence,

“Well what are you going to do?” Tony asked,

Jack shrugged “Talk to Martha I guess, see what she Sais” he said,

“Mate you guys are going to have to be so sure about all of this I mean his mother is just gunna of died you and Martha would have to be there for him twenty four seven and that is going to be one hell of a challenge especially with a your first baby on the way,

“I know” Jack said “I’ll talk to Martha after dinner, speaking of which I better go get the desert” he said standing up and making his way out the door.

“Hello” Martha said as her, Alf, Sally, Ric and Cassie walked through the door,

“Hey love” Tony said walking out of the kitchen, “Jack’s just in his room getting changed, you can go in there if you like” he said,

“Yeah thanks” Martha said making her way towards his room,

“So anyone want a drink?” Tony offered.

“Hey” Martha said walking into his room, “I’m so excited” she said,

“Yeah” Jack said putting on his shirt,

“Yeah, why?” he asked,

“Oh you just seem a little uptight what’s going on?” she asked,

“Sorry, no it’s nothing” he said coming over to her, “I’m excited to. Shall we do this” he said,

“Yep” Martha said taking his hand as they walked into the dining room.

“So what’s this big this you wanted to tell us?” Alf asked as the pair walked up to them,

“Shall I?” Martha asked,

“Sure” he said,

“I’m pregnant” Martha said,

“What, oh my God that’s amazing” Cassie said standing up “Congratulations” she said embracing her friend in a hug, Martha looked over Cassie’s shoulder to look at Sally who was looking at her, Martha nodded and smiled, Sally smiled back relieve,

“Congratulations” Alf said walking over and shaking Jacks hand, “Thanks” Jack said as he shook Alfs hand back.

“So are you coming home with us?” Sally asked Martha,

“Nah, I think I’ll stay here” she said,

“Ok” she said “I’m glad things worked out”,

“Yeah me too” she said “it’s like nothing can go wrong now”,

“Yeah ok seeya” she said hugging Martha before leaving,

Martha walked into the kitchen where Tony and Jack were talking,

“Hey can I help” she asked as she looked at the pile of dishes Tony was cleaning up,

“No love” he said “its fine”,

“Ok well I think I’m going to hit the hay it’s been a long day”,

“Yeah me too, night dad” he said as the pair walked off.

As they walked into the bedroom Martha quickly began talking,

“What’s wrong?” she asked,

“What do you mean?” he asked,

“You hardly said a word during diner and you’re all uptight” she said,

“I’m sorry” he sighed,

“It’s fine, just tell me what’s going on” she said,

“Ok” he said looking for a way to break it to her easily,

“Come on” she said urging him on,

“Sam, she was here today” he started,

“What?” Martha said not liking the sound of this, “what happened?” she asked jumping to conclusions,

“Nothing” he said “The thing is she came here to tell me something”,

“What?” she asked, “She’s not pregnant is she” she asked,

“No” Jack said, “Why don’t you come and sit down” he said leading her over to the bed,

“Ok” Martha nodded,

Once they were sitting Jack started talking again,

“She came here to tell me something” he stopped, “She’s dying Martha she has cancer”,

“What” Martha said shocked, “So why did she come here?” she asked,

“Well that’s the thing” he said, “She doesn’t have much time left and she wants to know that when she’s gone that Rory will be ok, she asked me to take him”,

Martha just stared at him there was silence between them “What did you say?” she asked,

“I told her about us and the baby and I told her that I’d talk to you”,

“Oh my God” Martha said,

“Look we are going to have to think long and hard about this we have to make the right decision”,

“Oh my God” Martha said again trying to grasp everything she had been told in the past five minutes,

“What are you thinking?” he asked,

Martha looked up, “We have to take him” she said,

“What?” he asked,

“Jack he’s mother is dying you are the closest thing to family the poor thing has ever had, we can’t let him get into foster care, call Sam tomorrow and tell her to come back and we’ll talk” she said standing up,

“Where are you going?” he asked,

“For a walk” she said walking out,

Jack sighed and fell back on his bed, this couldn’t be happening…

Martha walked along the beach a million thoughts rushing through her head, she was going to become a mum to a boy that had just lost it’s mother, she didn’t know if she was ready for this but she knew it was something that had to be done, she took in a deep breath and turned around and made her way back to Jack’s place.

“Hey I was wondering where you had gotten to” Jack said as she walked back into his room alter that night,

“Yeah I just had to get out and clear my head it’s been one hell of an action packed day,

“I know what you mean” he said as she changed into a pair of pyjama shorts and a singlet and climbed into bed,

“Are you sure about this?” he asked, looking down at her,

“I’m not sure about anything but I know this isn’t a choice we have to do this, it will be hard I’m not saying that it won’t but we will get through it and at the end of the day we will end up having that perfect little family that we had always imagined,

“You’re amazing you know that?” Jack asked her,

“I know” she said leaning up to kiss him before they both fell asleep in each others arms tomorrow was going to be a big day.

NOTE: Cam's bits with Cindy will be coming back they just didn't fit in with this chapter

• Replies 96
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Jack had the phone in one hand and the piece of paper that Sam had given him the previous day in the other; he took a deep breath and began to dial the number, he waited for a few seconds and then there was a voice at the other end,

“Hey mate” Jack said as Rory’s voice came on the other end of the phone,

“Jack” you could hear Rory’s excited cries through Jack’s phone,

“Yeah is your Mum there mate?” Jack asked,” Thanks”,

“Hey, Sam” Jack said as Sam came on the line,

“Yeah come down today me and Martha have talked we wouldn’t have it any other day, say about two, see you then” Jack said hanging up and walking over to the couch and flopping down,

“Hey, did you ring her?” Martha asked as she walked out to find Jack flopped ion the couch,

“Yeah she’ll be here at two”,

“Cool” Martha said as she walked over and sat down on Jacks lap,

“I can’t believe this is all happening” Martha said,

“Your still ok with it aren’t you?” Jack asked,

“Yeah, of course” Martha said reassuring him,

“Ok” Jack said “It’s not going to be easy is it?” he asked,

“Not in the slightest” she said,

“Yeah” Jack sighed,

“I guess we better start looking for a house” Martha said,

“Oh yeah I completely forgot, Sam’s coming at two it’s only nine now we have four hours to kill you wanna go house hunting?” he asked her,

“Sure she said” standing up “Let’s go”

“It’s perfect” Martha said turning around, I want it” she said,

“Are you sure this is the one you want?” he asked,

“Yes it’s just right, four bedrooms, one for us, one for The nursery and one for Rory and the other can be the spare room for if anyone ever comes to visit they don’t have to go to a hotel, I want it”,

“Ok” Jack said turning to the real estate agent, “We’ll take it”,

“Lovely choice, Come down to the Office and we’ll do up the paper work”,

Martha squeezed Jack’s hand tight, it wasn’t going to be easy but they would make it work.

KNOCK, KNOCK,

“Coming” Jack said as he walked towards the door,

“Jack” Rory squealed,

“Hey mate” Jack said as he looked at Sam, she looked run down and tired but at the same time more determined than ever,

“Hey, Sam” Martha said walking into the lounge room,

“Hey Martha” Sam said looking at her,

“Hey mate do you wanna into the other room and play on the XBOX?” Jack asked,

“Yeah” Rory said making his way into the other room.

Once Rory had left there was an awkward silence between the three before Martha spoke,

“He doesn’t have any idea does he?” Martha said,

“None” Sam said breaking down,

“Hey come here” Martha said scooping her into her arms,

“No” Sam said determined “I have to stay strong, for Rory”,

“It’s ok to cry, just know that we will be here for him after” Martha stopped,

“Thankyou” Sam said “Both of you your amazing I know it’s not going to be easy especially with your own baby on the way”,

“We’ll manage” Martha said,

“Thankyou” Sam said again, “Oh I brought these” she said digging in her bag,

“What are these?” Martha asked as Sam handed her some papers,

“There adoption forms for Rory, I assume that you will eventually want to make everything official”,

“Wow” Martha said, she hadn’t been expecting this,

“You want us to adopt him” Jack said,

“Yes” Sam said “I’ve signed everything so when you think it’s the right time for you guys and Rory just call this numbers, it’s my lawyer and he knows everything.

“Hey Mum” Rory said walking through the door “Can we go to the beach with Jack?” he asked,’

“No sweaty” Sam sais standing up “we have to get home”,

As they were walking towards the door Sam started to lose balance and collapsed on the floor,

“Mum” Rory screamed worriedly as Sam started to shake,

“She’s having a seizure” Martha said,

“Oh my God” Jack said,

“Call the ambulance” Martha told him as she turned towards a frantic Rory screaming and crying as he watched his mother on the floor,

“Hey it’ll be ok” Martha said bringing her into his arms,

“What happening?” Rory screamed.

Martha and Jack were waiting in the waiting room at the hospital, they had been waiting for a few hours, Rory had gotten tired and fallen asleep on Martha’s lap, suddenly Rachel started to walk towards them,

“Martha, Jack” Rachel said,

“Yeah” Martha said, her sudden movement waking Rory,

“Mum is Mum alright?” Rory asked Martha as his eyes opened,

“Rachel?” Martha asked,

“Rory I need to talk to Jack and Martha quickly, could you just go and wait over there for me” Rachel, said pointing towards some chairs on the other side of the room,

“Ok” Rory said making his way across the room

“So” Martha asked, once Rory was out of hearing distance

“Sam was very sick she’s in a come, we have run extensive test and they show that there is no longer any activity in her brain, I will let you take Rory in if you like so he can say goodbye and then we’ll talk about what the next step is” Rachel said,

Martha and Jack remained quiet as they thought about how they were going to break it to the ten year old that his mother would never be able to hold him again, that she would never be able to kiss him goodbye again.

“Ok” Jack finally speaking,

“Ok” Rachel replied walking off,

After a few more seconds of silence Martha turned to Jack “I guess we have to do this” She said,

“Yeah, sooner rather than later I guess” he said,

“Yeah” Martha said turning around and making her way towards Rory with Jack behind her.

“How’s mum?” Rory said looking up at Martha,

“Martha took a deep breath and crouched down to meet his level while he was seated,

“Rory your mum was very sick” Martha started,

“But she’s going to get better right?” Rory asked,

“I’m sorry Rory, You mum, your mum is” Martha tried again,

“No” Rory said as he realised what Martha was trying to say “No” he cried again as tears flowed down his cheeks,

“Where will I go?” He asked,

“You going to live with us Mate” Jack said crouching down,

“But mum won’t be there it won’t be the same”,

“No but Martha will” Jack said,

“I don’t want her there I don’t like her I just want it to be Me mum and you like it’s supposed to be” He screamed as he started running away and crouched down in a corner crying but Martha and Jack could still see him,

“Well that could have gone better” Martha said sitting down “He hates me”,

“No he doesn’t he just doesn’t understand why his mother I isn’t here anymore, he’s grieving”,

“Yeah I know I’m being selfish”, Why don’t you take him in to say goodbye, I’ll wait here”,

“Ok” Jack said standing up and kissing her lightly on the lips then making his way over to Rory.

Archived