Year 11 and 12 subjects?

Guest Sam =)

I'm only in Year 9..and i dont know but is it true you can drop maths in Year 11 and never do it again?!

If thats true then thats what I'm doing

Our school has composory maths 'till yr 11 I think but that my be beacuse it is private I don't know.

We can get out of maths if we do a tafe course on top of school but I struggle to find enough time for school as it is I wouldn't be able to do tafe as well.

• Replies 20
  • Created
  • Last Reply

I have always wanted to do art and we are picking at the moment. I have went through almost 10 years of art education without getting lower than an A. We have this new teacher she has some kind of vendetta against me and is lowering my grades to C's and if I don't apparently 'pull my socks up' I can't take art and so I can't do art as a career and I just can't come to terms with not doing art! My mum was going to go in and complain about her but I don't want her to get into trouble. She is only a sub-teacher and isn't even trained to be a high school teacher! She teaches Primary school! Sorry I just had a little rant. Apart from compulsory subjects I am taking:

Art (cross my fingers)

ICT

History

Double Science

• 1 year later...

OK, so this is an old thread, but anywho,

i have to choose my year 11 subject by next friday, so for i have;

General Maths

English

Health and Human Development

Psychology 3&4 (i did 1&2 this year)

Physical Education

so i need one more,

i'm thinking of either

Maths Methods

English Literature

Biology

or

Business Managment (although our school recommends skipping 1&2 and just doing 3&4 next year)

did anyone take these classes? if you did which did you like most, or find most useful?

:D

I did both Methods and Lit for my VCE. Hated Methods, loveeed Lit :) But I guess it all depends on what you want to do when you finish. Methods was a great subject for boosting your enter score but at the same time, you should never do a subject just to get bonus marks when you can do one you enjoy and are good at. I've heard good things about Business Management, but then if they recommend you skipping it, maybe you can keep it as your backup for year 12 in case you hate any other subject?

I don't actually do any maths anymore so I can't comment on it. I was lucky enough for it for the first year ever not to be compulsory as a senior subject and we were offered one alternative. I echo ^ that advice. Depends on what you want to do when you leave and what you're good at.

At the moment I take

• *Hospitality- Vocational Education Course, the one offered if you don't want to do any maths- includes workplacement and more hands on ways of learning.)
    *Advanced English
    *Extension 1 English.
    *Art
    *Design and Technology (going to drop it at the end of this term to pick up Extension 2 English for year 12)
    *Studies of Religion (compulsory)
    *Legal Studies

My word of advice: do subjects that you enjoy and that you are reasonably good at, and that will help you with the direction you want to go at uni, if you are planning to go! If you don't enjoy something, then you're just going to spend the two years bored and frustrated, and you'll be even more stressed out by the time the exams roll around! I didn't do maths because I was sure that I wouldn't need it at uni, and if I had done I would have hated my HSC year even more so!

Ok, so I chose,

i took your advice, and i did the one i enjoy more, and am better at which is Lit, even though alot of people tried to pressure me into Math methods, because of ENTER score etc. etc. which in the end just pushed me away from it so that kinda backfired for them.. :lol:

so my lineup is..

General Maths

English

Health and Human Development

Psychology

Physical Education

English Lit

thanks for all the advice peeps :D

Archived