Love is Waiting: Part II

Guest Adia

Type of story: one-shot

Rating: T

Main Characters: Jack

Genre: Drama

Warnings: Spoilers for people outside Australia.

Is Story being proof read: No

Summary: Sequel to Love is Waiting...

Jack finds a letter Martha has written him.

Love was waiting…

but still…

He was alone.

He walked despondently through his front door like a zombie ready to fall and sleep the nightmare away. He sat down on the couch and buried his face in his cold, trembling hands. Sam and Rory were gone. He was alone. He’d given his heart to two women and they had both left him. He knew deep in heart he may never see Sam again and as much as he still cared for Martha, the distance between them had become as hostile and divergent as the polar ice caps. Some where along the way they had lost touch with each other, and their love had suddenly transformed into a small feeling of revulsion. But deep down he still loved her, he still cared.

He stood up and searched the kitchen for something to cure his heart break. As he delicately picked an apple from the fruit bowl on the table, an envelope with his name carefully printed in the middle caught his attention. He opened it carefully as he walked to his room, wondering what words could possibly filter out.

Dear Jack,

If you’re reading this, then it’s possible that I may never see you again. I wish you were here. I wish that I had the courage to get through this, but I can’t. I know that I’m hurting my family but if I end it now, but maybe I can spare them more pain in the future.

I watch as the world passes me by. I see couples who are happy and in love holding hands as they walk down the beach. I miss that Jack. I miss having someone that loves me.

I miss loving someone back.

I’ve lost everything in these last few months and I don’t think that I can go on. The pain is just too much. I know that you have done all that you can to help me, and I love you for that Jack. You’ve stuck by me even during my darkest times. But it’s too dark for me now. I really can see no light at the end of all of this.

I know that you’ve moved on with your life, and I don’t want to hurt you; but I need you to know that deep down I’ve loved you since the day I met you. I wouldn’t have gotten this far if it wasn’t for your friendship. I am so glad that I got to know you. I am so glad that I had the privilege to love you.

I wish you all the happiness in the world Jack Holden. You are always in my dreams and more importantly in my heart. Maybe we will meet again, perhaps not in this life, but the next. When you come… I will be there waiting…

Love always

Martha

He sunk down on his bed, clasping the letter against his chest. A single tear rolled down his cheek, eventually dropping on top of the tears that stained her letter. The more he read her words, the more he could feel her pain building up inside of him. If only he’d been there for her… He wondered how long it had been since she’d carefully poured her heart out. A part of him wanted to go and find her, save her from whatever it was that was pulling her down, but the other part of him was tired. Tired and dwelling in the same darkness that she was. He lay down and buried his face in the pillows, trying to suffocate the sadness away.

Out of the corner of his weeping eyes he saw the distinguished wedding album that they had carefully put together. Remembering that day was hard for everyone, but Jack took solace in the fact that it was the day that he joined his soul with Martha’s. He picked it up, vigilantly turning the pages, remembering the happiness he felt when the images appeared before him. As if the world he was looking at in the album was permeating in the air around him.

And then he remembered. The letter he had written Martha right after the ceremony as he waited alone in the car. He flicked to the back pocket of the album where he had secretly hidden the deed that proclaimed his love for her.

It was gone.

Martha was gone.

But if she'd read it, he had hope.

And he knew that if she had read it she was waiting…

Comments

Archived