Coronation Street

Di

It is a shame that Claire and Ashley were chosen for the axe when so many others deserve it more. I don't think Ashley is a huge loss to the show, although I like his history with characters like Fred and Maxine. Claire on the other hand has potential. She is such a nice, caring person, and provides a good contrast to some of the rally brash women on the street like Janice, Carla, Becky, Rosie, Tina, Molly, etc. I suppose Sunita will fill that "nice girl" role now.

If I was in charge I'd get rid of the following: Sean(probably the worst character in soap history), Maria, Michelle, Molly, Tyrone, Kirk, Fizz, John, Chesney, Becky, Julie, Janice and Dev.

I'd keep Rosie because I actually find her funny in how she is such a ridiculous bimbo. Also if Craig ever come back they could pair them up again. I'd keep Steve as well. He HAS to stay for Tracy's return, and also if Karen ever returns.

Even though Corrie is my least favourite of the four UK soaps, I think it has improved this year compared to how utterly dire it was last year.

• Replies 715
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Corrie star in real life cancer fight

Sally Whittaker has reportedly been secretly battling breast cancer at the same time as her on-screen character fights the disease.

The mum-of-three was diagnosed just days after learning that her Coronation Street persona Sally Webster would be put through the same ordeal.

A source told the News Of The World that cast members were reduced to tears when the 46-year-old told them of her real-life tragedy.

"It was utterly horrific. But Sally knew she had to stay strong and vowed to beat it," the insider said. "Many actresses would have pulled out but Sally decided to go ahead. There was never any doubt in her mind that she could battle this.

"It was sad because we knew Sally was going through it all herself in reality, but she was a professional and just got on with it. It was everybody else who fell apart. She seemed so brave. Looking back on those scenes now you can see the true emotion. They're difficult to watch."

Whittaker discovered a lump in her breast last autumn and Corrie bosses scheduled her work in an intensive block in October so that she could take time off for treatment. Following a break, Whittaker is said to be ready to return to work.

"She has finally turned a corner. She is feeling better and now all she wants to do is get back to Coronation Street," the source continued by saying.

The on-screen breast cancer storyline has been credited for a recent increase in awareness of the disease.

^

I was shocked and very saddened to hear this news this morning, and I wish Sally all the best in her battle with her illness.

I also must add my admiration for her to go ahead with the filming while knowing it was so true to life, she was very courageous to do that.

Glad to know she is doing well, and look forward to seeing her back on screen as soon as she feels able, the Webster family is just not the same without Sally to pander to Rosie and tell everyone else on the street how inferior they are to her family

Poor thing, its so brave of her to carry on filming that storyline on Corrie. Its a bit of a scary coincidence.

How boring was this week though? I'm sitting here watching the omnibus and nothing good has happened so far. Can someone answer me this, why are Mary and Norris away together and what is wrong with her? I must've missed the episode last week where it was all explained

God, I'm hating all that Norris and Mary stuff.I can't believe that I see so many comments about what a wonderful character Mary is, she's completely dreary and tedious and I don't know why they brought her back.Hopefully they'll get rid of her soon.I think they just won a holiday together in a competition.

Kind of liking the stuff between Graeme and Tina, he is the complete star of the show at the moment.Natasha really should have given Nick the boot and gone out with him, she'd be a lot better off.The unlikely alliance between David and Gary was a nice idea but the idea of no-one being able to find Gary when he's in the first place they should have looked stretches credibility beyond breaking point.

You suspect that only Coronation Street would be able to handle the death of a character, prompted by the death of the actress, with such humorous affection.The scenes where June Whitfield's character, practically a carbon copy of Blanche, sat around talking about what a wonderful person she was while everyone stares at her in bemusement were perfect.("Are you sure you've got the right person?")Followed up by one of those classic scenes where everyone sits around in the Rovers pontificating.Plus Steve's gag about High School Musical 398, which raised a smile as he fails to notice his daughter looks completely different...

Graeme was great as usual, especially when flirting with David, although I wasn't keen on the way he was with Jason when he brought the couple to see the flat.It was the stuff with Norris and Mary that really let the side down, seemingly aiming for farce but failing miserably and just coming across as woefully overacted.

Today's Corrie was weird. Not in a bad way, but it was just very surreal. I liked all of it, but there was nothing really serious about it, even though Blanche, who is probably one of the most beloved (if not THE most beloved) characters in the show's history, had just died. I'm not sure what to think of this show any more. It's emerging from an extremely bad period into a new very strange one...

• 2 weeks later...

Quite liked the funeral episode.Guess they had to say nice things about Blanche in the circumstances (and perhaps especially the real life circumstances)but Roy's assessment of her as cruel and unpleasant seemed nearer the mark than anything.I liked the running gag about everyone thinking Roy had closed the cafe about respect and I laughed out loud when the prison guard started crying during the eulogy.

Oh yes-panto villain Tracy's back and reminding me why I was glad to see the back of her.Hoping this will just be a guest stint rather than her back permanently.

After the scene Tracy caused at the funeral

I CANT WAIT for her to return back to the street!! Its gona be so brilliant when she walks back into The Rovers and tries to get Amy back

:D I can't wait to see the looks on Becky and Steve's faces!!

• 2 weeks later...

Anyone looking forward to Siege week next week and Tony Gordon's return ?

AND take a look at the new Corrie opening titles which will begin on monday when Corrie debuts in HD for the first time ever!!

I quite like the new titles actually! :D