Coronation Street

Di

• Replies 715
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Oh God I just read the worst thing ever!!

Coronation Street actress Maggie Jones died this morning, aged 75.

The actress, who played the much-loved soap character Blanche Hunt, passed away in hospital after losing a long battle with illness.

Jones, who studied at the RADA drama school, first appeared in Coronation Street in 1961 as a policewoman. She was granted a full time role as Blanche, the mother of Dierdre, 13 years later and remained on the show until 1976.

She made several reappearances in the shows for events such as Deirdre's marriage to Ken Barlow in 1981 and the birth of her grandchild Tracy 1977. Jones was made a full-time cast member in 1999.

In 2005 and 2008, Jones won the British Soap Award for 'Best Comedy Performance' for her role on the ITV1 soap.

Her other TV credits included Dalziel and Pascore, Peak Practice, The Barchester Chronicles and Heartbeat.

Earlier this month, Jones was said to be in a critical condition after being rushed to hospital for life-saving surgery. However, producers later said that the 75-year-old was starting to improve. An ITV representative later added that the soap star was "continuing in the same direction" as she continued to be cared for at Hope Hospital in Salford.

Oh gosh.Even though I never liked the character she played, Maggie Jones dying is tragic, in interviews she always struck me as a true professional and a nice person.

Slightly macabre sidebar, Maggie only played Blanche because the original actress who played the role died a matter of weeks later, prompting a hasty recast after only a few appearances.Cruelly ironic that she dies while playing the role as well.

Maggie Jones R.I.P

I,m so glad Rosie Webster had to eat her words and that Sally took her down the police station pity they didnt have her up for wasting police time.

Ken as FATHER CHRISTMAS what a laugh but why did he keep it so secret its nothing to be a shamed of, but Simons other Grandad George is rolling in it and you can see why the child will be swayed by money

• 2 weeks later...