Summer Heat

Guest Chop_e

• Replies 45
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Thankyou all for your great comments - i can't promise anything bout them getting back together anytime soon though :P haha please don't hate me!

Anyway here is the next bit - it's a bit shorter then the others but i just wanted to get something up

Hope you enjoy because here comes the twist!!

xox

Chapter 4 – (Note: Belle and Luc never broke up in this fic)

It had been a long day at work for Matilda, so having a glass of wine at the surfclub with Belle and Lucas was just what she felt like. Belle and Matty had become friends quite out of the blue in high school and the pair had grown very close after Ric left. For first few months after he had gone Belle had been Matilda’s rock, they had stayed up late watching chick flicks and eating popcorn, they talked about everything except Ric when Matty just couldn’t go there, and they talked about Ric when Belle sensed Matty needed to.

Belle had also been the one who convinced Matilda to give Kim a chance.

She had moved back to Summer Bay after graduating from university and was now renting a small bungalow just off the beach with Lucas.

Matilda thought it was strange she and Luke were once an item as she had never seen him happier then when he was with Belle. He had also stepped very easily into the step-brother role – he was furious when Ric had left Matilda so upset and had become very protective of her.

“Come on Matty cheer up I know it’s tough having him back in the bay but just have a night without thinking about him a?” said Belle as she sat across the table.

Matilda pulled a fake cheesy grin for Belle.

“Haha see that’s what I’m talking – you look stunning!”

“Seriously though Matilda, are you ok? I’m worried bout you, you seem to have taken a step backwards today…” asked the always caring Lucas.

“I’m fine Luc honestly. Thank you guys so much, having a drink with you both was exactly what I needed,” said Matty. “But while you are both excellent company I think I should head home. Kim is in the city for the night so I think it’s a bath and an early night for me.”

“Ok but if you need us just call, or pop over whenever you want, ok Matty?” said Belle.

“Even at 4am?” laughed Matilda.

“No not at 4am! I’m not cool with that!!” cried Lucas, who received a swift kick from Belle under the table.

“Ok, Ok even at 4am,” said Luc rubbing his shin.

Her sweet laughter echoed through the surfclub as Ric entered. He had missed that sound. He often remembered how she use to tease and play with him – she had had a special laugh that was reserved only for those times.

Ric looked across the room and saw Matilda getting up from having drink with Belle and Lucas, and just for a second there eyes met.

“I really better go guys, I’ll see you tomorrow k?” Matilda said to Belle and Lucas as she quickly gathered up her things.

But before Matilda could turn to leave Ric had walked over to the table.

“Hey Luc, Belle. How are you both?” said Ric trying to sound casual.

“We’re fine,” said Belle. She didn’t need to say more, her tone said it all – ‘how dare you come over and pretend everything’s ok?’

“Bye guys,” called Matty as she excited the surfclub. She had seen Belles stare and thought that now would be a good time to escape.

The cool night air was refreshing on her face. Matty had felt claustrophobic with Ric that close to her and she needed to think, to breathe and to calm her racing heart.

Matilda walked onto the beach and took off her shoes to let the sand, still warm from the sun, move through her toes.

The calming sound of waves breaking on the shore was soon interrupted.

“Matty, can we talk? Please?” Ric had followed her again.

“No.”

“Please about what happened in the other day….you kissed me back you know?”

“Don’t. Just don't.”

Ric took hold of Matilda’s arm, determined to not let her get away.

She spun on her heels.

“No Ric. Not today, you don’t get to talk to me, or try to be nice to me, and you definitely don’t get to try and patch things up with me…. NOT TODAY.” The final words hissed through her teeth.

“Wha….O, o f*ck, what’s the date? Is it today? O god Matty I am so sorry, does anyone else know??”

Tears of anguish appeared on Matilda’s face. “No they don’t…….it appears I am the only one in this whole town who remembered that I was supposed to give birth to our baby boy today.”

Archived