Summer Heat

Guest Chop_e

• Replies 45
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Hey all

Thankyou for all your wonderful commments they make me want to write about Ric and Matty even more.

Anyway just a short update - an insight into Ric!

Hope you like it.

Much Love xo

Chapter 3 –

Ric was walking back to the caravan park after dropping Pippa off when he decided to take a shortcut through the park.

It was a beautiful morning. The dew on the grass played at Ric’s feet and the air fell softly, calm and undisturbed. His thoughts drifted to Matilda. “I bet she went running this morning. She loves Summer Bay on mornings like this,” he thought.

It was a strange thing. As a young teenager Matilda had been so against exercise but once she started university she couldn’t stop. Ric knew it was her escape. He knew that she loved the clarity it brought and that she felt completely free when she reached the top of the look-out and felt the sea-breeze against her face.

He wondered if Kim knew.

As Ric neared the edge of the park his memory flashed and he wandered over to an old Oak that had stood in Summer Bay for as long as he could remember.

The oak was the tree that all high school sweethearts wrote there names on. He glanced over it – there was Robbie and Tasha, Belle and Lucas, even Sally and Flynn had put their initials on the tree. Ric let out a laugh. Apparently even Pippa had a boyfriend – Ric noted that he would have to talk to Pip about that (and threaten the guy is case he ever felt like hurting her).

Ric looked up to check it was still there. At just above eye level were his and Matilda’s names, big and clear and surrounded by a star – Matty had said a heart was too cheesy.

His mind flashed back to that the afternoon of Matty’s final exam.

Ric chased Matilda. She had just playfully pushed him and he had been seconds away from falling into the duck pond at the far end of the park.

Matty squealed with delight. She loved playing games with Ric and her childlike joy made him fall in love with her all over again.

She hid behind the oak and tried to catch her breath but Ric, who was not far behind, caught her and pulled her to the ground.

“Ric stop, please stop” laughed Matty as he tickled her. She writhed underneath him as he pinned her down. He knew her weaknesses. She was only 17, he 19, but he felt he knew everything about her.

Calmest swept over the pair and as Ric was suddenly still. He couldn’t stop looking at Matilda.

“What? What Ric? Why are you looking at me like that?”

“How do you do it? You have spent the day in exams, you’ve just been chased through the park and tickled yet you take my breath away. You’re beautiful.”

Matty blushed as Ric moved off her and onto his side. He gathered her into him and kissed her deeply. It was not lust-fuelled, it was love and Matilda knew it. Ric kissed her with such intensity that her body became weak.

“I love you Matty. I know we’ve said it before but I just wish I could explain exactly how happy you make me. I wake up in the morning and you’re the first thought on my mind – it makes me smile so much.”

Matty was taken back. “I love you too Ric, you know I do.”

Their lips met again for a delicate kiss before Ric jumped up and started fishing around in his pockets.

“What are you doing? Get back here,” laughed Matilda.

“In a minute, now I know you’ve said you think it is silly but I think it is about time we make it official, after all no relationship truly exists in Summer Bay until it is written on the oak tree.”

“Ric you softy! Thought you said the oak tree was only for saps and romantics?”

“Well you’ve made me a sap haven’t you,” laughed Ric. “Come one babe we’ll do it together.”

Ric smiled at the memory. They had been so happy, for such a long time. Five years had seemed like forever then, but Ric thought that the last six months felt like an eternity. Without Matty at his side Ric could not begin to think about the future. Time didn’t move forward and he didn’t understand how the world could turn when he didn’t see her smiling face when he woke in the mornings.

He needed her and he could tell that some where deep down she needed him too. He saw it her eyes at the Landromat and Ric just hoped he wasn’t too late. Too late to make up for the pain he caused when he left her to deal with everything on her own.

Archived