Guest Oxidizer

Story Title: No Pulse

Type of Story: One Shot

Main Characters: Zoe McCallister, Peter Baker, Tracey Thompson

Genre: Drama

BTTB Rating: T

Any Warnings: V/D

Spoilers?: No

Summary: What if Tracey raced to the abattoir instead of Jack?

"Drop to your knees and put your hands on your head." Zoe demanded as she aimed the 9mm pistol she stole from the injured detective before her.

Tracey reluctantly did as she was instructed. A slight groan of discomfort escaped her mouth as she slowly collapsed on the ground of the abattoir rooftop. Peter watched on helplessly from the opposite side of the roof where his hands were cuffed in front of him. He could charge at their psychotic captor but would only end up with a bullet in his head and endangering his colleague further, and there was no way in hell he was going to let that happen. Tracey meant too much to him.

"Let her go, Zoe!" Peter snapped from afar.

She unzipped her hoodie and tied it around her waist by the sleeves before liberating a rubber band from the pocket of her pants and tying her mound of curls back loosely, leaving a strand from her fringe to dangle freely before responding. "I can't do that; she's my insurance policy."

"Take me instead!"

Zoe giggled maniacally. "I hate to break it to you, Peter, but I already have you. I'm just keeping your little girlfriend here with me until you've finished."

"Finish what?" Peter twisted his face in confusion.

His nemesis grinned and walked towards him. His eyes widened when she pressed the gun hard against his chest. "If you want Tracey to be left unharmed, you're going to have to do something for me in return."

"What the hell are you talking about?"

"Look over your shoulder, Peter." Zoe mused. "The answer's simple; all you have to do is take one leap of faith and this whole game will be over. Tracey will be safe, you have my guarantee."

Peter swallowed nervously. A rueful grimace played across his dry lips. "What? You want me to jump to my death?"

"It's either that or Tracey gets killed. I would've at least thought that you'd be grateful, I'm actually giving you a chance to win; or would you prefer it if it was me who ended your sorry existence?"

Tracey looked up at him with pleading eyes. "Don't do it, Peter."

Zoe turned around and glared dangerously at the brunette before resuming focus on her nemesis. "I'm not asking twice; now or never. What's it going to be?"

Peter exhaled deeply and collected himself. An apologetic looked aimed at Tracey's direction. "Fine. I’ll do it, but on one condition; you let Tracey go first."

The sociopath titled her head to the side and sucked on the inside of her lip for a few seconds as she mulled it over. She whipped her head around to face a broken Tracey. "Get out of here."

Tracey blinked as she cautiously roused from the gravelled rooftop. She looked at Peter in concern as she stood up on her feet, dusting down her sore knees. "Peter?"

"Do as she says, Tracey." Peter demanded through gritted teeth. "Get as far away from here as possible."

She stared at him blankly as she inched past Zoe who smirked at the minor embrace. Peter snapped. "Run! Get out of here, go, now!"

Tracey followed suit and quickly climbed the steep slope of metal stairs leading down to the lower structure of the abattoir. The noise of a freight train channelling across the rail tracks below tore through the isolated district and deafened those present momentarily until it passed.

"I kept to my end of the deal, now it's time for you to keep yours." Zoe leaned in and sneered. "Jump!"

Peter looked over his shoulder at the fatal drop below. He turned around and his sapphire eyes burned into his nemesis, mutely damning her. "Go to hell."

"Ladies first," Zoe made a gesture with her gun, prompting Peter to turn around and stand on the ledge. All it took was one step and he would fall to his death.

His breathing hardened and became erratic as he clenched his eyes closed and leant forward. Losing balance, Peter plummeted to his demise, where his body broke within impact of hitting the solid concrete below. Blood seeped from his ears and puddled the pavement.

Tracey looked on at his body stunned before looking up at the roof, Zoe shrugged and smirked, making the Senior Detective burst into a fit of hysterical laughter.

Zoe climbed down the metallic stairwell and leaped down to stand by Tracey's side. They both looked down at the fallen hero's reminiscence. "I thought I acted very well, even if I do say so myself."

"You really did. Kudos."

"So what now?" Tracey flipped her hair as she turned to face her homicidal girlfriend.

Zoe smirked. "We disappear."

END

Comments

Archived