Love is Waiting

Guest Adia

Type of story: one-shot

Rating: I think T

Main Characters: Martha

Genre: Drama

Warnings: Spoilers for people outside Australia. And a hint at suicide/depression

Is Story being proof read: No

Summary: Martha thinks about what has recently happened to her. Will she end it? Or is there something that will make her change her mind?

I have no idea why I wrote this, but oh well. I've never written a short story in my whole life, so this is my very first one shot type thing. :P I'm really bad at short stories...

Love is waiting…

But still,

She stood lonely.

The violent waves swelled high against the jagged edges of the cliff as if they were reaching out to her. They smacked hard against the rocks, shattering and over powering all the other noises. If she fell, no one would hear her scream…

The breeze, although it gently stirred in the air around Stewart’s Point, left a lasting wound on her cold cheeks. But that was nothing. Ash had hurt her more deeply than any physical wound could. She rubbed her trembling hand over her stomach. What was once there, was now gone. The emptiness that it left, was more painful than anything she had ever felt before.

She walked closer to the edge of the cliff. The wind was stronger now, swirling frostily around her, and the waves were pleading with her to fall into their dissolving arms and cradle her into their ethereal depths.

She slumped down against the cold hard rocks as the memory and pain of the life that was once inside of her came flooding back. The empty whisky bottle slid out of her gaunt hand and innocently rolled over the edge of the cliff; falling free until it disappeared into the watery darkness. Tears streamed down her cheeks and lay themselves on the crumpled up piece of paper she treasured in her other hand, etching her sadness into the last fragment of hope that she had left.

Dear Martha,

If you’re reading this, then that means today is our first wedding anniversary. Even though I will never forget this day, I’m writing this down, so that I can share with you the things that I was feeling when you made all of my dreams come true.

No words can express how beautiful you were today on our wedding day. If I even tried to say it, no description could ever do you any justice. If God has ever sent me an angel, that angel is you. Somehow I always think it has been.

People might say that we rushed into things. But if we have made it through one year of marriage, I can’t wait for the years to come. I promised today that I would spend the rest of my life with you, and I want to go beyond that. I would spend a million life times with you, until the end of time.

I love you Martha Mackenzie. And I always will. Any time that we are apart, or anytime that we come close to losing each other; even if we lose each other completely –

I want you to know that at the end of it all, my love will always be waiting to embrace you. No matter what.

Love,

Your husband,

Jack Anthony Holden

The only man who had ever truly loved her and not used to her to fulfill their own selfish agenda. He had been there for her. He had tried to talk sense into her, but she didn’t listen to him. She pushed him away, just like she had done in the beginning. And now she was alone.

She shook her head furious with herself. Jack had moved on now. He had his own family with Sam and Rory. He had a family...

When she saw them all together, she saw how happy they were. How perfect and intertwined their lives had become so quickly. She’d had her chance and she ruined it.

But Jack had still been her support through everything. Their close friendship had never faltered and the infallible bond they shared was still as strong as ever.

But Martha wondered if it was too late. Had she pushed him away for good? Was it too late for her to find love again? Was it too late to get him back?

As she read his words over and over again, hope began to glimmer in the darkness of her pain. Maybe just maybe… His love was still waiting for her.

Comments

Archived