The Difference Between You & I

Guest Pierced Musie

Is there anything you've really loved so far?

Just about all of it. :P But seriously, the overall story and realism is awesome - especially the Johnny/Ric scenes. I love the Matilda stuff too.

Anything you've really hated?

Is that even possible?

I can't wait until the next part! :D

• 3 weeks later...
  • Replies 52
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Easter update. WOOHOO!

Chapter Three

Unsettling News.

She stared at the brown envelope that was being offered, her eyes narrowing. It was as if she thought that it would bite if touched.

"Take the flamin' thing," Alf said, placing the offending envelope onto the table. She stared down, taking in the unfamiliar curved handwriting. There was no indication that what was inside was important, but she knew. She knew that what was contained in that envelope was not just about Ric, but about something much bigger. The only way to know more was to take a look.

She opened the envelope and pulled out the letter, Alf watching as she skimmed over the words. He was used to Morag staying like a stonewall, so imagine his surprise when the default expression on her face shifted to a look of shock. He was not the only one who noticed.

"Is something wrong?" Sally asked.

"Ric is getting a cellmate," Morag replied. The words didn't shock Sally; they scared her. As soon as she heard the words cell and mate, her mind went to the worst case scenario. Her only thought was that, if Johnny could get himself transferred to the same prison block, he could get himself put in the same cell. The thought terrified her. She dropped down onto a chair, waiting for Morag to tell her she was wrong.

But no words came. Morag was too focused on the letter, a look of curiosity on her face.

"Very interesting," she murmured, mostly to herself, as she folded the letter and put it back on the table. They just watched her as she stood and picked up her bag before leaving. Her reaction put Sally at ease and made her just a little bit curious. She glanced at the door once before picking up the letter and reading. With each sentence read, Sally began to understand Morag's reaction. And she knew exactly where she was heading.

\\\\\

She knocked with purpose, waiting for someone to answer. She knew they were awake; she could hear VJ playing. So Morag waited and waited, until finally someone answered. Leah greeted her with her usual cheerful smile, moving to let her in.

"What can I do for you this morning?" she asked, even her voice coming out cheerful. Morag followed Leah into the kitchen, finding both Dan and Peter sat at the table.

"I'm glad you're both here. I received an interesting letter this morning from the prison," Morag told them, her attention solely on the Bakers.

"Is Ric okay?" Leah asked, concerned.

"He is fine but that is not the topic of the letter. It seems that Ric is finally getting a cellmate," she explained. That grabbed their attention. "The man in question has been in solitary for quite a few years."

"What does this have to do with us?" Leah asked, not seeing the smile on Dan's face disappear almost immediately.

"His name is Caleb Baker," Morag finished, ignoring Leah's question. She watched for a reaction and, when Dan looked down at the table with new found interest, she knew that she was on the right path of thought. The reaction from Peter was much stronger. The colour drained from his face, making him as white as a sheet. At that moment Drew walked in, noticing the looks immediately.

"Is something wrong?" he asked. He got no reply.

\\\\\

She didn't know what to do and he had no idea what to say. They had tried to hold a conversation but failed miserably. It wasn't that they had nothing to say to each other. It was just hard to talk with an audience watching.

Matilda tried to keep her attention on Ric but she found herself wandering to another prisoner. And the new bruises this prisoner had inflicted on her boyfriend. She had gone in thinking that he would be fully healed, as Morag had promised. But, as he had walked in, she had seen the fresh bruising on his face and neck. And then, to her amazement, Johnny had walked in and sat in the next booth, giving her the most charming smile. It made her want to vomit.

That had been almost half an hour ago and he still kept aiming that smile in her direction. It didn't just put her on edge; Ric felt equally uneasy. Part of him wanted to be stubborn and pretend they weren't being watched but the other part cared too much. There was only one thing he could do.

"Send them my love," he said, hanging up the phone and leaving before she could protest. She sat in stunned silence for what felt like hours, worry and hurt going through her.

"I thought he had more manners than that," brought her back to life. Her eyes refocused and she stared at the man who had taken the place her boyfriend had been moments before. The charming smile was still in place. She moved to hang up the phone but his next words stopped her.

"It's great news about your boy," he stated, watching for a reaction. She tried to give him nothing but she found she couldn't; she was curious. Her head was telling her it was good news but her heart was telling her a different story. If it was good news she would be hearing it from Morag, not Johnny.

"What news?" she asked finally, her grip on the phone getting tighter, her fingers going white from the pressure.

"Ric is getting a cellmate. The word in here is that he is one hell of an inmate. Solitary confinement, mental wards," he explained. "He makes me and my boys look like the perfect prisoners."

"You're lying," Matilda mumbled, all the colour draining from her face.

"You have every reason to not believe me. But how about asking Detective Baker? Or his brother? I'm sure they would both be willing to tell you about their own cousin," Johnny replied. She sat back in silence as he gave her one last grin before leaving.

Hours later, when Leah opened the door, she found a fragile looking girl. When Dan saw Matilda, he knew exactly why she was so upset.

\\\\\

He sat on his bed, his back resting against the wall and his legs drawn to his chest, his hands resting on his knees. His head was bowed, his forehead resting on his hands. Long dreadlocks of black and red fell, giving his face a veil. Though he had headphones on, his favourite music filling his ears, he had heard the squeak as the metal window in the door had opened . But he didn't look up to see why they were bothering him, not really caring.

He was used to his own company, being in solitary for longer than he wanted to admit. So when a voice came through the little window and into his lone cell, his head came up and he took notice. His eyes opened and he stared at the little window, seeing someone staring back.

"Stay where you are seated," he was warned before the eyes disappeared. More than a little confused, and curious, he stayed still. The sound of keys turning locks echoed in the room and he tilted his head, not used to the sounds. He wasn't used to being bothered unless on certain days. And he was pretty sure that day was not on the schedule.

The door slowly opened, as squeaky as the metal window, He just watched as a prison guard walked into the room and stood in the corner, watching him like a hawk. The prisoner was about to say something when another man walked into his cell, this one dressed in a suit. As soon as he noticed the suit, he knew he was face to face with the Governor. He switched off the music and took off the headphones, running a hand through his deadlocked hair.

"A visit from our ever faithful governor. This must be serious," he said, his voice deep and rough. He slowly stretched out his legs, knowing what would happen with any sudden movement. He stared up at the Governor, waiting for him to say what he wanted and leave. The words that came from the Governor were not what he expected.

"I've been going through your file recently and discussed your case with a few others. Did you know that your parole hearing is coming up soon?" he asked, looking at the man. The prisoner glanced at the guard before looking down at his bed. The Governor noticed the move, understanding the problem. He looked at the guard, giving him a nod.

"Leave," he instructed. The guard was about to protest, but when he saw the look being sent his way, he did as he was told. When it was just two of them left, the Governor sat down on the bed as the prisoner scooted forward, his feet planted on the floor.

"I'm going to take a stab in the dark and say that one of those people you discussed my case with was my doctor. And I can see where this is heading so please, don't say anything and just leave," he said, not looking at the Governor. The silence that the prisoner was used to was becoming more deafening to him and he closed his eyes, counting to ten.

"We voted against your doctor. You'll be getting a parole hearing," the Gov said, watching the reaction. The prisoner looked at him, not believing. "Your last trip to the institute was nearly a year ago and we've been monitoring you."

"Why tell me now?" he asked, confused.

"Because I think you need time to prepare. It's been almost 10 years since you have been near anyone but doctors and prison guards," the Gov explained.

"So you mean..." he said, coming to a stop when the Gov nodded.

"Pack up your things, Caleb. It's time to move to the main prison."

To Be Continued...

Great writing as always, and it fills the Johnny void. Yes indeedy... even when he's being a jerk, he is charming... lol but I'm biased...

We finally get to meet Caleb. I wondered in the beginning if he was related to Peter and Dan, but I really thought nothing else of it. I've been very intrigued with this character since you mentioned him in the first post. If he can give Johnny a run for his money and make him look like a boy scout, then I am very interested.

Can't wait to see more!

• 3 weeks later...
  • 3 weeks later...
  • 2 weeks later...

TEASER

“So that is the guy they have been whispering about,” Johnny murmured. Ric refused to look at Johnny, keeping his attention on the newest inmate as he got closer. He took in the long dreadlocks, noticing the flashes of red that was weaved. From where Ric was standing he could see something glinting above his eye, due to the sunshine flooding in. It was only when the newcomer, as if sensing he was being watched, glanced at them that Ric saw the metal ring through his lip and the two small rings on his right eyebrow.

26th May...

This isn't against the rules, right? :P

Archived