Rating: T (VD)

Main Characters: Sarah, Scott, Robbie, Kim, Kit

Genre: Angst

Warnings: Contains slash

Is Story being proof read: No

Summary: What if Sarah had killed

Scott

instead of Noah?

NOTE: I just found this on a disk. I'm pretty sure it was meant to be the start of a much longer fic, but I really don't have time for finishing it now. I think it works as it is, to a degree, which is why I'm posting it... The other problem is, it's set in the middle of 2004, after Sarah has killed Felix she's looking for someone to blame. My memory of things that I don't have on tape (ie, the vast majority of 2004 and everything before it) is... almost non-existent... so it would be kind of hard to go back and finish it with any kind of accuracy... I have a few tapes that I might be able to piece something together from some time, but not right now. In conclusion, don't expect this fic to be added to any time soon :P

It's about three years old and one of the first H&A fics I wrote, so bear that in mind... and forgive the cliche'd title. It was just the first thing that I thought of :P

Life's Too Short

“Looking for these?”

Sarah held Dani and Scott’s passports in her hand. She grinned maliciously as she saw the looks of terror on their faces. Scott reached out to pull Dani towards him, but froze as Sarah raised the gun at both of them.

“I don’t want anyone to get hurt,” she said. “Well, no one but the person who killed Felix.”

“Sarah…” Scott began, but Sarah stopped him.

“I know it wasn’t either of you,” she said, “But you know who did it. Take me to them. Now.”

“Sarah,” Dani cried hysterically, “We didn’t do anything! Our friends didn’t do anything!”

“Ugh,” Sarah sighed, tired of Dani’s persistent lies. “Will you just gag her already?” She threw a piece of material and some rope to Scott. “And once you’ve tied her up, you and I can go for a ride.”

Scott drove down the dark road with Sarah holding her gun at his side.

“This isn’t going to work, Sarah. Even if you kill all of us, you still won’t avenge Felix. We’re not the ones responsible for what happened.”

“Just lead me to your friends,” said Sarah coldly, “And I’ll decide who’s responsible.”

Scott stopped the car. There was nothing but bush land for miles.

“What are you doing?” asked Sarah suspiciously.

Scott turned the engine off and took the keys out of the ignition. “This is as far as I’m taking you.”

“Start the car!” She aimed the gun at his head.

Scott paused, staring down the barrel. Without turning away, he reached his arm out the window and tossed the keys into the darkness.

“I don’t care if you kill me,” he said, “I’m not going to let you hurt my friends.” There was no way that Sarah could find the keys in the dark. Scott had effectively stranded her.

“Fine,” she said, shaking with rage, “If that’s the way you want it…”

BANG!

“Are you sure about this?” asked Kim. “The last time someone told you that Scott was dead it turned out to be a hoax, remember?”

“No,” said Robbie, “It’s real this time. Detective Baker confirmed it. Someone reported seeing Scott’s car on the side of the road, just out of town… There was blood on the windows… and when they looked inside…” Robbie started sobbing. “They found him with Sarah… She’d killed him and then killed herself…” Robbie realised that he was practically bawling now. “I’m sorry.”

“Hey,” said Kim, holding Robbie close, “Don’t be sorry. If you can’t cry now, then when can you cry?”

Robbie nodded appreciatively and cried harder into Kim’s shirt. Kim felt Robbie’s tears soak through to his chest. He closed his eyes and rested his head on Robbie’s. “You’ll be okay,” he said, “I’ve got you.”

Robbie watched as Beth and Dani walked to the edge of the cliff. The sun was setting, making the ocean breeze seem colder than anyone could ever remember it being. Everyone was dressed in black. It was strange to see so many bright people toned down to such a deathly dark shade, but that’s what happened at funerals. Scott wasn’t the first member that the Hunter family had lost, so it wasn’t like they hadn’t done this before.

Robbie looked over at Kit. There was a sort of grief hanging over her that was beyond tears, the same vacant stare that their mother had adopted as she and Dani each placed a hand on the urn containing Scott’s ashes and turned it out to the wind. Robbie heard a muffled cry at his side. Mattie’s arms wrapped around his stomach, squeezing tightly as he made a half-hearted attempt to reassure her. Henry just stood there beside them both, staring unblinking into the sunset, waiting for the whole thing to end.

“Rob!”

Tash put her hand on his shoulder as he and his family walked back from the lookout. He stopped, but he didn’t turn around.

“Robbie, I just wanted to tell you how sorry I am. You know, about Scott.”

“Sorry that he’s dead,” asked Robbie, still refusing to look at her, “Or sorry that it was your gun that killed him?”

Tash didn’t know what to say.

“Rob, I…”

“Kim and I begged you to get rid of that thing,” hissed Robbie, turning on her fiercely, “Kim even threw it in the river! But you couldn’t leave it alone; you had to go back and get it. YOU had to bring that murder weapon back into our lives. And now, because of you, my brother is dead. I’m Sorry Tash, but I can’t be around you right now. I just can’t.”

He kept walking up the path, not once looking back at her.

Tasha didn’t follow. Robbie was so hurt and angry about Scott’s death, and he blamed her for it all. She wondered what this would mean for their relationship.

Kit sat slumped at the kitchen table, staring at a lonely bottle of vodka. Footsteps on the staircase indicated that someone was coming, but she made no attempt to hide the alcohol. Robbie paused at the sight of her.

“Where’s Mum?” he asked in an attempt to make conversation.

“Gone,” she said blankly. “She took Mattie and Henry to the city. Thought they could use the distraction.”

Robbie dragged a chair out from underneath the table and sat down.

“And what about you?” he asked, “Do you need a distraction?”

Kit didn’t take her eyes off the bottle.

“Scott’d kill me,” she said.

“Yeah he would,” Robbie agreed. “That’s if your liver doesn’t fail first.”

Kit smirked. “When did you become the responsible one?”

“Well,” said Robbie, “With Dad and Scott gone, I guess I’m the man of the family.” He shrugged. “Gotta step up sometime.”

Kit grinned. “Yeah little brother, you are the man.”

She pushed the bottle away and stood up. “I’m gonna go for a walk. Wanna come?”

Robbie shook his head. “Nah, I’m gonna see what’s on TV. Maybe there’s someone out there with a life worse than mine.”

“Okay,” she said, “But if you change your mind…”

“I’ll find you,” he smiled.

As Kit left, Robbie’s face fell. He went to the TV and stared at it for a while. He picked up the remote control, but couldn’t bring himself to turn it on. The same old things: death, war, and “reality” TV. He didn’t need to hear about any of that stuff right now.

He stood up and walked into the kitchen. Getting some juice seemed like a fair way to occupy his time.

As he picked the glass up from the table, he saw the vodka still sitting there. He thought for a moment about Kit. After everything she’d been through, was he really prepared to go there as well?

Robbie opened the bottle and added the alcohol to his juice. Scott would have killed him for this too, but Scott wasn’t here.

Robbie closed his eyes and sculled the drink. He shook himself free of the taste and took a deep breath. He poured another one, this time with less juice. He threw that back too, enduring the burn.

The glass cracked as he slammed it down on the table. He swept it angrily to the floor where it smashed completely. He took the vodka bottle by the neck and began to drink it straight. He’d probably never be able to taste anything again after this, but he didn’t care.

He couldn’t stay in this house anymore. He had to get away.

He took an old sports bottle out of the cupboard and filled it up with the remaining liquor. The empty bottle rolled off the table and shattered on the kitchen floor, adding to the carpet of broken glass.

Robbie grabbed a jacket and left the house with no particular destination in mind. He walked as quickly as he could, swigging regularly form his sports bottle. He didn’t know what any of this was supposed to achieve, but (as he kept telling himself) he didn’t care. He was just so angry; angry at Sarah, angry at Tash – even angry at Scott. How could he just leave them like that? Why?

Robbie kept walking. He found himself on the side of the road, somewhere near the Diner. Kim, who had just come from the beach, saw him and watched curiously to see what he as doing. Rob wasn’t watching anything at all.

Kim called out, but Robbie wasn’t paying attention.

Robbie wandered onto the road. There was a car coming.

“Rob, look out!”

Kim sprinted towards him. The driver of the car stood on his breaks. Robbie looked up but had little time to react. Kim ran into him, and forced him back to the roadside as the car skidded to a stop.

“Bloody idiot!” yelled the driver from his window before speeding off.

Robbie laid in the gutter, holding the bruise on the back of his head. Kim leaned over him, suddenly very angry.

“What the HELL were you doing?” he asked frantically, “You could’ve killed yourself!”

Robbie couldn’t focus. He tried to lift his head off the ground but he didn’t have the strength or coordination.

“So what?” he slurred, squinting at the daylight. The sports bottle rolled out of his hand and into the gutter. Kim picked it up. He shook the contents and heard that there was barely anything left. He tipped the last few drops onto his hand and smelled it.

“Rob, this is alcohol,” said Kim.

“Well done, Sherlock,” answered Robbie sarcastically. Kim surveyed the size of the bottle; it had to be almost a liter.

“Was this full?”

“Of course not,” said Robbie. “I already drank half the vodka before I put the rest in there.” He started to laugh at himself.

“It’s not funny, Rob. You could have really hurt yourself.”

A line of salty water rolled down Kim’s cheek. Robbie didn’t know if it was left over beach water, or if Kim was actually crying.

“Okay,” said Robbie, realizing that Kim was serious, “I’m sorry.” He tried to sit up, but began to fall back. Kim caught him.

“Easy,” he said dragging Robbie up slowly. “Just take your time.” Robbie fell into him as he tried to stand up. “Why don’t I take you home?” said Kim.

Robbie shook his head. “I don’t want Mum to see me like this. Not after everything she went through with Kit.”

“Okay,” said Kim, “I’ll take you back to my place then. You can sleep it off there.”

Kim walked into his room and saw that Robbie was already passed out on his bed. He sat down next to him and smiled. He looked so peaceful, so innocent. He hadn’t even had time to take his glasses off.

Kim untied Robbie’s shoes and slipped them off. Robbie opened his eyes.

“Thanks,” he said groggily.

“I thought you were asleep,” said Kim.

“Nah,” said Robbie, “Just resting my eyes.”

He pulled himself up against the headboard and patted the space of quilt beside him. Kim crawled to the top of the bed and took a seat.

“Are you feeling any better?” Kim asked.

“Well, I think I’m starting to sober up a bit,” said Robbie. “So no, not really.”

Kim laughed. “Dreaded hangover huh?”

“Mmhm.”

Robbie put his hand on Kim’s. “Thanks for looking after me.”

Kim instinctively wrapped his fingers around Robbie’s. “Any time,” he said with a smile.

They looked at each other for a second, and then Kim looked away.

“What?” asked Robbie.

“Nothing,” said Kim nervously. “I’m gonna go get you a glass of water.” He turned to get off the bed, but Robbie held onto him.

“You don’t have to go,” he said. “You could just…” He locked his fingers into Kim’s. “Stay with me for a while.”

Kim looked at Robbie holding his hand. “You’re still drunk,” he concluded.

“It doesn’t matter,” Robbie smiled. “I still want to thank you. I care about you Kim. And you care about me too, don’t you? I mean, really care about me.”

Kim took a deep breath and nodded.

“Then what’s the problem?”

Kim felt Robbie’s thumb rubbing gently against his hand. He couldn’t think of any problem with this situation, except…

“I’d be taking advantage.”

Robbie laughed at him. “No you wouldn’t. Well, maybe a little,” he grinned. “But that’s okay. I want you to.”

He leaned into Kim, but Kim turned away.

“Robbie,” he said seriously, “I don’t want this to be something you regret in the morning. I’ve liked you for too long. I haven’t had the guts to tell you because I didn’t think it was what you wanted. And the last time I told someone how I felt, I had to leave town. That’s why Dad and I came to Summer Bay. He didn’t want everyone at our old school to know that the principal’s son was gay.”

“But I thought Brooke…”

“She was just a cover. Dad insisted that I be with her to keep up appearances. And then when she got pregnant, well it all kinda of went to Hell after that. I couldn’t have a baby with her knowing it was a set up. I couldn’t.”

“She turned out to be the one with the set up.” Said Robbie darkly. His smile returned as he thought about how sensitive Kim could be. “You’ve really liked me for that long?”

“Since the first time I saw you,” said Kim. “I mean, at first I went after Tash because I didn’t want anyone to know, but it was you I wanted. It was always you.” He looked deep into Robbie’s eyes. “Promise me you won’t regret this.”

“I won’t,” said Robbie, stroking Kim’s face, “You’re my best friend. I could never regret anything we do together. I love you.”

Kim scanned Robbie’s eyes for any trace of insincerity, but as usual, there was none.

“Okay,” said Kim in agreement.

“Okay?” asked Robbie to be sure.

Kim nodded with a nervous smile.

Robbie leaned into him again and kissed him. Kim kissed back, drawing Robbie closer.

Kim laid Robbie down. He moved over him slowly, placing butterfly kisses on his neck and shoulders.

“Kim,” said Robbie in a breathless whisper, “You know how I said I wanted to wait to…you know, ‘be’ with Tasha?” Kim stopped, ready for Robbie to back out. “Well I don’t want to wait anymore,” he said, closing his eyes. “I don’t want to wait for anything. Life’s too short.” Kim nuzzled Robbie’s cheek and kissed him softly on the forehead. Without saying a word, he moved down Robbie’s body and kissed him again. Robbie pushed his head back into the pillow and sighed. He was finally beginning to understand what all the fuss was about.

The End....? :unsure:

Comments

Archived