How can we improve?

Guest Chris J

• Replies 135
  • Created
  • Last Reply

I'm surprised you don't just match the decor of the forums to the homepage. A lot of sites do that these days, it might be feasible to do. It would link the site and forum a lot better, also provides consistency.

Just an idea.

That's what I plan to do. However, as a lot of members seem to want variety, we'll probably have one theme in the Purple/Blue style of the main site, and some other character-based themes in other colours, as we used to.

The only problem is, I no longer have a large amount of H&A images, so making themes is more difficult.

I guess if I need to, I could always ask some of our more artistic members to design some headers for us :P

Why don't you do a couple, and we do a vote? See which one is better. But keep the original one as an option once the new layout is there, so people can revert to it if they are not keen on the new layout.

Hope that made sense.

But how do we go about encouraging more in-depth discussion and prevent one-word or short responses, especially when we have a large amount of younger members? It's not an easy task, and I for one have no idea how to do it.

...yeah, I think most people just really don’t want to discuss the show in that regard. There seems to only be a few members that like to respond to in-depth discussions, but most seem not too. I’ve written a few longish in-depth topics or character appreciations only to find it has disappeared to the second or third page with one or so responses, never to be seen again…

I think Mercury Girl may have been referring to those 1998 or 1999 episode clips or whatever they were, I remember a few people seemed a bit pissed off about that.

Yet no-one was bothered when episodes were actually uploaded, including the people that were asking about them, who instead just asked when the next ones were going up, so I figured that we could have been doing more constructive things with our time - hence why they've taken a backburner until May, when they will begin to be uploaded again, along with many others. :wink:

I think post counts in the spoiler section should be scrapped. No offence to the genuine members who post in there but the large majority of posters in there regulary have only signed up for the spoilers and post useless one line comments in response. I don't think these people should be allowed to boost their post count in this way.

It wouldn't be fair on the genuine posters if we did that, and may even discourage some genuine posters from posting in there.

How about removing post counts completely? :P

Yes! I think that would encourage more discussion. People won't just post 'I agree', they will give a reason when they know that that post won't count and when they know other people posts won't count.

...My opinion.... *hides*

Well I think one of the reasons why some people care about post counts is because this forum was quite judgemental and unless you have a really high post count no one will notice you,no one will answer you,no one will really care about what you post. Well that was just the impression I got from talking to a few members back last year. Of course that's not to say everyone ignores those people but it seems some would treat you like your just a little newbie that doesn't know anything about this place and kinda look 'down' on you, you know?! I haven't been around here that much lately and haven't payed much attention so I don't know what's it like now.

Archived