Murder on Ice

Guest ~Rosey~

Okay, so.

I've done half of this part.

I'm gonna go have a shower then I gotta go out, and Paris wants me to post this

So here we go :)

Chapter 2, Part B

“Could it have been someone from another lodge just checking the place out?” Belle suggested from the back of the room

“In the middle of the night?” Liz sighed dramatically, “Jack, I’m frightened. I don’t like the idea of somebody poking around here at night. Apart from the Overlook, which is about two miles away, at the bottom of the Big Birch chair lift, we are very isolated around here.

“Its creepy, for sure” Matilda said in a calm tone of voice. “but it doesn’t sound too dangerous. I mean, that women didn’t actually do anything and she hasn’t come back…has she?”

“That’s just it! She has!” Liz shot a apprehensive look toward the door. “Last night – late – I saw a figure skiing away from the lodge. And this morning, it looked to me like the lock had been tampered with. There’s something else too. I’ve received two phone calls in the last 3 days asking for someone named John. The first time I said we had nobody here by that name, and the caller became very angry. The next time she hung up on me”

“Lets go back to those ski tracks you found. Where did they come from? Did you follow them?” Peter asked the terrified women.

“Yes”-replied Liz. “They came from the little ski trail that connects us with the big birch ski area and the Overlook Hotel. Those tracks would have had to been made after the snowstorm finished – possibly around 2am.” Liz looked at Peter. “You’re a detective. You tell me. What was someone doing prowling around at the time of night. I cant think of any pleasant reason.”

Peter nodded soberly. If someone wanted to get inside Webb Cove Lodge, it would probably be very easy – and that meant danger!

“ I don’t scare easily” Liz said “but that face at the window was terrifying

Jack knew what was coming. “And your asking me to do some detective work for you”

“Yes!” Liz replied emphatically. “I want to hire you, but I want you to keep a low profile. I’m not going to get the police unless I have to. Rumours about a prowler wont do my lodge any good.

“This prowler doesn’t sound like a regular thief.” Jack said slowly. “Liz, why do you think she was trying to get in here?”

“I haven’t the faintest idea,” Liz answered. “If she just wanted to steal, the Overlook Hotel has a lot more guests, and richer ones. It doesn’t make sense.”

“Well I’ll be glad to do what I can.” Jack said.

“Thankyou very much” Liz kissed Jack on the cheek and went to go and unlock the door.

“Now, go hit the slopes” Liz sad in a cheerful voice “After last nights snowstorm, there should be plenty of good snow!”

Belle stepped into the entryway where she and Maddy had left their ski things. She buckled herself into her clunky ski boots, then grabbed her skis and poles and hurried outside into the dazzling sunlight.

As she fumbled for her sun goggles, Belle caught sight of a male figure in a blue ski suit silhouetted against the sun. I might aswel get acquainted, Belle decided, especially now that I’m supposed to be checking things out. She walked over to the guy and stood her skis in the snow

“Hi.” She said. “My names Belle”

He turned his face to her. He had blonde hair and blue eyes.

“Hello. I’m Jared Livene, the ski instructor here.

“Oh.” Belle exclaimed. “I’ve heard about you. Liz told me you were really good”

“I am”

That brought the conversation to a crashing halt. Jared never spoke again, nor moved.

• Replies 55
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Note: This is the last part of Chapter 2!

I was gonna make in longer, but i'm so tired, my eyes were closing on me.

Chapter 2, Part 3

Rachel got out on to the snow; not knowing Kim wasn’t following her. She looked back at the lodge, then onto the snowfields, hoping to catch sight of Kim. She waited for several minutes, but he didn’t appear. Finally, she laided her skis in the snow and snapped her boots into them “I guess I’ll head to the chairlift” She thought to herself.

“No!” The ski instructor barked. “I have to check it to make sure its working all right.”

“Is something wrong with it?” Rachel asked

“No but its my responsibility to check it each week and make sure its safe. You’ll have to wair until I’m done before you go skiing.”

Rachel looked down and her skis and made a face. This gut was definitely a pain.

“Isnt there another lift round here? I’m dying to use the slopes” Rachel whined.

“Theres a rickety old rope tow I use when I’m checking the chair lift.” Jared admitted, gesturing toward a small clearing nearby. “But it’s a very steep trail and I’m not letting anyone on it except an expert”

“What makes you think I’m not an expert?” Rachel said hotly, but Jared turned away without answering.

At that moment, Kim stepped out of the lodge.

“Hey Rachel” He called, hurrying up to her.

Then he turned to the ski instructor. “I’m Kim Hyde. Are you Jared Livene.?”

“That’s right” Jared replied briefly.

“I was planning to rent some equipment, but Liz told me you have an old pair of skis and boots you looking to sell. If the boots fit me, and I like the way the skis feel, I might be interested in buying them. How about letting me try them out for the day?”

Jared just nodded and strode back into the lodge

“Obviously a man of a few words.” Kim whispered to Rachel.

“The fewer the better if you ask me” Rachel answered. “Why don’t you go get those skiis and I’ll meet you at the top of the mountain”

As Kim followed Jared into the lodge, Rachel picked up her poles and headed for the tow. She found the start button, pushed it and watched the tow line begin to move smoothly up the mountain. Placing her skis in the faint tracks of snow Rachel grabbed the rope and let her self be pull swiftly up, her skis sliding easily across the packed powder. It had been years since she had been on a rope tow, and she had forgotten it was kinda fun skiing uphill.

All at once, Rachel saw a blue suited skier farther up the slope, waving wildly. Smiling, Rachel lifted up one hand and waved back.

Archived