Sleepless Nights

Guest carmelle

Thanks guys

I needed a reason to avoid doing the work i'm meant to be doing (with hefty consequences) and this fic was it.

Here's the next chapter hope you like it, let me know what you think.

Chapter Ten – Exploring Options, Hiding Under a Table and Swimming Out To Sea

Jack Holden pushed thoughts of revenge out of his head for the time being, as he walked up the drive way that Dan had driven away from only a few hours ago. Revenge and Martha had to wait; there was work to be done.

He saw Sergeant Murphy and Constable Fitzgerald talking and joined them.

“So what’s the update?”

Murphy spoke first “We haven’t found much to suggest where they could be or who is behind this, if anyone is behind this that is, but we have found that the door at the back has a broken lock which looks very much like a forced entry.”

“So you don’t think that anyone is behind this?”

“I’m not saying that, what I’m saying is at this moment there could be a number of explanations as to what could have happened…”

“Like?”

Lara Fitzgerald decided it was time for her to speak “Well if it was a forced entry Peter and Drew could have run from who ever it was using the front door.”

“Since when did Peter Baker run from someone breaking the law?”

“Since his son was with him at the time”

“This is Drew Curtis we are talking about and if they ran how do you explain the blood?”

“There could have been a struggle…they could have run after that…”

“And where exactly did they run to if they didn’t run to a hospital?” Jack was starting to get annoyed.

“Jack calm down, we have to explore every option possible this early on…”

“And while you stand about exploring options Peter and Drew could be in real danger.”

“We don’t know that…”

“But that’s what we said about Gillan” Jack said getting furious

There was a beat of silence

Fitzgerald spoke up. “So, Jack what do you suggest we do huh?”

“Well I noticed that Peter’s car isn’t here, so we need to track that, then there’s the blood which we need to make sure is blood and find out who’s it is.”

“The car is being looked into as we speak and the blood samples are on fast track to the lab.

“Ok then we need to find out who was the last person to see Peter and Drew”

“I spoke to the brother; it was family at his house.”

Jack looked at his boss and couldn’t decide what to make of his expression-less face and then said “Well clearly there was someone else after that, and we do need to talk to the family and anyone else that could possibly know something, anything at all. We need to keep ringing the hospitals in case some one is brought in.”

Sergeant Murphy stared back at Jack but spoke to Fitzgerald. “Well Lara why don’t you have someone go over to his brother’s house now.”

Jack broke away from what seemed like a staring contest between him and his senior and turned to Lara “No wait, I don’t think he’ll be there, the community want to do their own search, and they’re based at the Surf Club so he’ll….”

“WHAT? They should just let us do our jobs, we know what’s best in these situations and I don’t want there to be any clashes.” Murphy was the furious one now.

“Well they want to help and I think they should. They’ve decided to cover the areas that we’re not covering. We’re going to have to work together on this one boss.”

“Well as long as they’re not going to get in our way…”

“I’m sure they won’t”

Murphy sighed before speaking again. “Ok Lara, Jack, you take some other officers and head to the surf club and start asking questions. I want everyone that was at his brother’s house questioned and then the Vale woman and her daughter. I’m going to stay and supervise here and I’m going to try the hospitals again.”

“Ok we’re on it.”

As Lara and Jack turned and headed towards Lara’s car Murphy spoke out again.

“And I want Peter’s phone records now.”

Jack turned back around. “Dan mentioned that he saw both Peter and Drew’s mobile phones in the house.”

“Yeah I’ve got someone going through both phones now and making a list of all the calls that came and went, lets just say that there were quite a few phone calls coming and going for both father and son. Nothing suspicious though, I’ll make sure you have the details as soon as I have it. I was talking about the phone in his office, the house one has caller ID.”

“Sure thing boss” With that Jack and Lara got into Lara’s car, and made their way to the surf club.

Meanwhile in the Surf Club…

Tony pinned up a map on the board and Alf stood to speak to the crowd gathered before him, as he had done many times before.

“Jack has just called and has given me the areas that the police are covering, so we now know which areas we will be covering. We still don’t know what’s happened, but Jack also informed me that they have just found Peter’s car.” Alf stopped before speaking again “It was abandoned on the road heading towards the Yabbie Creek, no one was in there, and there is still no sign of Peter and Drew.”

“How did his car get there?”

Alf turned to face Dan, Amanda was beside him. Alf sighed before answering. “They think that the car was abandoned, but they’re not sure who abandoned it. They’re doing what ever tests they need to find that out.”

Tony came and stood next to Alf. “We are going to split into small groups and each group will cover one area. If you see anything that you think looks like it could be related to the disappearances do not touch it as it could be evidence. Radio back to the base and we will notify the police.”

Alf spoke again “The police may need to speak to some people here, so some you may need to wait before you can join your search team.”

“Why do they want to speak to us, after all we don’t know anything?”

Alf turned to Matilda Hunter who had asked the question but it was Morag that spoke “It’s nothing to worry about, they usually speak to family and friends in these situations, that’s all”

Once Morag had finished Alf spoke again. “We’ve made a list of who’s in which group, it’s pinned up on the board, so check it and go and prepare your search kit.”

Just as Alf had finished speaking Jack walked in with Lara Fitzgerald and two other officers.

Jack walked up to Tony and Alf and faced the group gathered before him.

“We’re going to be talking to some of you. If anyone here spoke to Peter or Drew last night or saw them last night we’re going to ask you stay behind.” He then turned to Dan and Amanda “We also need to talk to everyone that was at your house last night. Everyone else can go.”

Dan and Amanda nodded. Leah gripped Colleen’s hand tighter. Irene put a comforting arm around Belle, while Lucas sat next to her, holding her hand.

As the residents of Summer Bay began to leave with their groups to play their part in the search, Kit Hunter stood staring at the notice board with her face scrunched up.

She turned to Kim who was next to her “My name’s not on the list, why is my name not on the list?”

“I guess they thought it would be too stressful for you.”

“Yours and Rachel’s names are on the lists, and practically everyone else’s as well.”

“Well Rachel and I aren’t the pregnant and nor are half of Summer Bay.”

“So you expect me to sit around on my own while everyone else is out searching?”

“Kit you’re making it sound as though everyone else is out surfing or something while you’re locked in a dungeon. Besides you’re not on your own, you have Colleen to keep you company.” Kim smiled at her, hoping that she would stop nagging him

“You have got to be kidding me, Colleen? I’d rather have you stick around”

Kim wasn’t expecting that. He gave her a confused look. “I want to be out there doing what I can to help. You need to take it easy, if you want to help, there is so much to do here and I’m sure that it’s not only Colleen that’s sticking around here.”

At that moment Beth walked up to Kit. “Here you are, I was looking for you. I was thinking you can help Mattie and me with what needs to be done over here, like helping with the calls and messages.”

“Erm…”

“See Kit, now you have something to do.” Said Kim as he pulled his rucksack onto his back and walked of to find the others in his group. Rachel who was standing a few steps behind had seen and heard the whole thing. She smiled to herself as she gathered her things and joined her group. She was in a different group from Kim, and Kit was away from both of them, she was happy, which meant that she could focus on the search.

Morag walked up to Alf. “Alfred I don’t want you out there searching after what happened last time.”

“Woman, I survived last time and so did the ticker, I’ll be fine.”

“Alfred I am being serious.”

“So am I, a man that has done a lot for this town is missing and his son too. If it was Ric or me that was missing he wouldn’t stop until we were found.”

“Yes as true as that is, he’s not the one with a heart condition.”

“I cannot sit here and do nothing and I won’t, you can’t make me.”

Morag sighed “Fine, but the first sign of trouble and I want you back here.”

“I’ll be fine” said Alf, before swiftly walking away from Morag, before she changed her mind.

Morag walked up to the board and looked at the lists of groups and turned to Lucas who was standing next to her doing the same thing. “I see you and Alfred are in the same group”

Lucas took a closer look “Yes it looks that way.”

Morag whispered into Luc’s ear making sure no one else heard, especially Alf. “Here’s what I want you to do, stick close to him, make sure he doesn’t get stressed. If he looks like he’s struggling or starts clutching at his chest with the look of pain on his face, make him stop and you get him back here. If he refuses you let me know where you are and I will get down there and drag him back here myself, do you understand.”

Lucas smiled nervously, with fear showing on his face “Yes I do.”

“Good.” With that she turned and walked away and Luc joined Alf and his group.

Jack watched as the people left the Surf Club in groups and found that the only people remaining seated were the people he had asked to stay behind so that he could speak to them. He was about to speak when he noticed Martha, Beth and Mattie busying themselves on the far side of the room. He remembered what Martha had done, and what he had to do, anger started to boil in his blood as it had done many times before when he thought of her. He then realised this was not the time and shook his thoughts away.

He turned back to speak. “Ok with the exception of Irene and Mrs Smart everyone here was at the Patterson-Baker house last night with Peter and Drew, right?”

They all nodded

Lara spoke up “Ok we’re going to have to speak to you individually. So Dan if you talk to Jack, Amanda I’ll speak to you, Leah constable Martin will come to you and Belle if you can speak to constable Adams.” She said introducing constables Nate Martin and Lucy Adams in the process.

Colleen freed her hand from Leah’s tight grip, got up from her seat and walked over to where Beth was pouring some drinks into plastic cups. She picked up a tray and filled it with the cups and headed back to the other side of the room. She slowly made her way towards Lara Fitzgerald and Amanda making sure she heard as much as she could.

“Yes that’s right.” answered Amanda

Colleen didn’t hear what the officer had asked so she decided to get closer.

“Was anyone else there?”

“Belle and the boys, Ryan and VJ”

“Do you usually all hang out together at Dan’ house?”

Amanda sighed “No I can’t say we do. Peter wanted to see Dan and Drew as he wouldn’t have seen them till after our honeymoon after today and I wanted to spend time with Ryan and Belle for the same reason, but it was Dan’s turn with Ryan and we all agreed that if everyone got together it would just be easier and no one would be left out. Leah organised to cook.”

“One big happy family huh?”

Colleen hadn’t realised that she was now standing right next to the table. Lara Fitzgerald turned to her. “Is there something you want?”

“Oh me, no, I just wanted to ask if would like a drink?” she said pushing the tray out in front of Lara.

“No thank you”

Colleen turned to Amanda, who shook her head.

When they didn’t speak Colleen realised that they were waiting for her to leave and she turned around as Lara faced Amanda once again.

Colleen realised that they had resumed speaking again but she could no longer hear. She saw Belle and Irene sitting next to an officer that she hadn’t seen in the Bay before and headed towards them, straining her ears to pick up what ever they could.

“So did Drew mention anything that was bothering him?”

Belle thought hard about the question before she answered “Nope”

“How about Peter?”

Once again Belle thought before she answered “Nope”

It was then that Irene saw Colleen hovering about. She shot Colleen a look and Colleen instantly turned around and saw Jack and Dan engaged in what seemed like a heated conversation. She tried to get closer to hear better, but there was no need.

Dan gave Jack a cold and distant stare “What are you trying to suggest Constable Holden?” his voice getting louder with each word.

Jack blinked with surprise; he wasn’t expecting Dan to call him that, he sighed before asking “What if Peter didn’t want to get married?” asked Jack in a hushed tone that Colleen managed to hear.

Dan couldn’t believe what he was hearing, he was furious “Let me tell you something, Constable, I have never seen my brother as happy as he as been in the last few months and nothing would have made him more happier than marrying the woman that he loves with his family and friends present. Sure he was nervous, but who isn’t nervous on the morning that they are meant to get married? So if you’re asking me do I think my brother has done a runner with my nephew in tow the answer is hell no!”

Dan was shouting at the top of his lungs now and the entire room came to a sudden silence as Dan’s words bounced of the walls. Amanda got up from her seat and ran out, followed by Belle, followed by Irene.

Colleen dropped the tray and the drinks and stood still in the middle of the room not knowing what to do or where to go.

Dan turned back to Jack “Happy now constable?”

Jack hung his head low and when Dan had calmed down he spoke again “I think that’s all for now, but Dan you should know that it is part of our job to explore every possible explanation.”

“Well what ever happened, Peter did not do a runner.” Dan said as he ran out after Amanda, Belle and Irene.

Constable Nate Martin was twice the size of Leah, maybe even more and he towered over her while speaking to her. His black beady eyes noticed Leah’s every action and his ears picked up on each and every single word she said.

“So Mrs Patterson-Baker when was the last time you saw or spoke to Peter Baker and his son Andrew Curtis?”

Leah looked up towards Constable Martin and felt like an ant that was about to be stepped on. Beads of sweat were beginning to form on her forehead and her breathing was becoming heavier. Constable Martin had noticed this.

“Drew…it’s Drew…well...erm…the la…la…last time I spoke to them was last night when they were at my house. I haven’t seen or sp…sp…spoken to them since.”

“Do you usually stutter, Mrs Patterson-Baker?”

Oh crap thought Leah, she was acting suspicious, but she found that she couldn’t control the words.

“N…No, only when im nervous or sc…scared….or…”

“Why are you nervous Mrs Patterson-Baker?” asked the constable, not giving her a chance to finish what ever it was she was trying to say.

“I’m n…not nervous, I’m s…scared for Peter and Drew and w…worried about them, th…that’s all.” She said with a nervous smile.

Constable Martin noticed the nervous smile.

“So Mrs Patterson-Baker did you notice anything strange or weird about Peter or Drew?”

“N…No I didn’t”

“That’s all for now.” He said as he headed towards the door, almost bumping into Colleen who had just walked back into the Surf Club. He looked at her oddly before saying “Good-day ma-am” and walked out to join his colleagues.

Colleen walked up to Leah and tired to comfort her by putting her arms around her. Leah held on to Colleen as she whimpered into her ears.

“Oh Colleen what have we done?”

“We? we haven’t done anything, you have”

Leah pulled away from Colleen and looked at her shocked

“No pet, what I mean is yes you have done something and I know about it, but no one else does and no one else will.”

“No Colleen you helped me and….” Leah couldn’t believe what she was hearing

“Leah the important thing here is that what we did, or what you did and what I knew about and may have helped you with, has nothing to do with what’s happened to Detective Baker and young Drew, so we have nothing to worry about.”

“But we don’t know that, they think he’s done a runner, and if he has it could be because of what we have done.”

“You, well if he has done a runner, all the best to him and a lucky escape from that hussy if you ask me…”

“Colleen, don’t say that, I did not want him to leave and what about Drew?”

“There’s nothing wrong with his son leaving with him…”

“But Drew lives with Dan and what about all that blood...”

Colleen saw that Beth and Kit Hunter were standing near “Come here pet” she said as she pulled Leah into a hug and whispered into her ear “Now you listen to me, and you listen good, we have nothing to do with what’s happened to detective Baker and young Drew. If you feel the urge to confess to something that you think you may have done, by all means go ahead, but don’t drag me into it, after all I’m but a mere old lady who lives in a caravan.”

She pulled away from Leah “Now pet, I’m going to go to the diner, but I will be back here soon.” With that Colleen walked back out of the surf club leaving a shocked Leah lost for words for the second time in the same day.

Leah decided she needed to get some fresh air and to think about what she was going to do next. She walked out of the Surf Club. As Leah walked out of the Surf Club Beth Hunter was surprised to see Morag crawl out from underneath the booth in which Colleen and Leah had just stood in front of.

Morag lifted herself up “I..er…dropped my earring…I mean it fell out…found it now…go to go” and with that she too made a hasty exit from the Surf Club.

Beth decided that after the morning’s events anything was possible and thought best not to ask anything and returned to her daughters and awaited some news, any news.

Amanda Vale wanted to get as far away from everyone as possible. She saw the waves and ran straight for them and did not stop running until the waves brought her down to her knees. She sat in the water and watched as it soaked and ruined what was the most beautiful dress she had ever worn in her whole life. She hung her head and letting her tears fall into the sea.

She could here a voice calling from behind but it was getting fainter and fainter. She turned around to see Belle screaming something, but she couldn’t make out what Belle was saying. She tried to get closer to Belle, but the more she tried the further Belle went from her. It looked like a dream or a nightmare but it felt too real. She couldn’t understand what was happening and it wasn’t until she felt water about her shoulders that she realised she was being dragged further out in to the sea. She tried to swim back to the shore but the weight of her drenched dress held her back.

She tried to scream but she couldn’t bring herself to scream. Then all of a sudden a thought came to her. She thought to herself that maybe drowning would be less painful than what she was feeling now. She stopped trying to fight the pull of the water and was about to lie back into it and let it take her to wherever it wanted to take her, when she felt two strong hands grab her by the waist and pull her away from the water’s grip. As the hold of the hands around her became tighter she felt the water let go of her. She was now well and truly out of the water, but drenched. She tried to feel the sand beneath her feet, but she couldn’t and realised that she was being carried by someone.

She tried to make out who it was, but her blurry eyes didn’t show her much apart from what seemed like some blonde hair on a man’s head. Her heart skipped a beat, hoping that she was in Peter’s arms. She tried to blink several times in an attempt to see if it really was him. For a moment she thought she could see, but before she knew it everything went black and her eyes shut tight, as silence crept all around her.

To Be Continued

• Replies 61
  • Created
  • Last Reply

I haven't read this in a while, Sorry. I have decided to limit my use on the computer now :)

In the chapter that wasn't the last one (if you follow me) I loved the beginning bit with Kim and Rachel (nearly wrote Kit then :P).

Jack, your moron don't cheat on Martha!

Peter, now wanting to marry Amanda, do you blame him?

• 2 weeks later...

Here's an update...Hope you guys like it, let me know what you think...

Chapter Eleven – In a Caravan Park, On a Cliff Top and Outside a Surf Club

Colleen moved hurriedly through the streets as she made her way to the caravan park, stopping only to hide behind a tree when she spotted Madge Wilkins and caught her breath. Once Madge Wilkins was out of sight Colleen resumed her journey.

On entering the Caravan Park she noticed that the door to Sally’s house was open. She didn’t want to be seen so she chose to go to her caravan the long way round, stopping to exchange hellos with a few of it’s other residents that were also outside making her actions seem less suspicious to anyone that was watching her, if there was anyone watching her that is.

When she got to her caravan she opened the door and got in shutting it behind her but not before she took one final glance around to see if anyone was watching, and just as she had thought there was no one watching. So she shut the door.

Morag leaned against the Caravan at the end of Colleen’s row and caught her breath. She had no idea that an old bag like Colleen could move so fast, and put it down to all the years of her being such a busy body. She had heard the exchange of words between Colleen and Leah, and after having followed her back to her caravan and having witnessed her actions from the night before Morag was convinced that Colleen had something to do with Peter and Drew’s disappearances, but she had no idea what that could be. She decided there and then that she was going to make it her business to find out, and bring down the old bag one way or another. She said to herself that this round was Morag Bellingham’s to win, and not Colleen-big-mouth-Smart’s. Yes Colleen may have won the last battle but the war of the battleaxes was far from over.

Morag walked up to her Caravan and went in. She checked on her boxes and the bag that she had pulled out from Colleen’s garbage can. She then pulled up a chair and placed it in front of the window and took up her position and began “Colleen-watch”. She was sure that Colleen would make her next move soon, and when she did, Morag Bellingham wasn’t going to miss it.

Leah stood at the cliff’s edge and watched as the waves crashed against the rocks blow her. She sniffed her nose and tried to stop the tears from falling, but she couldn’t. She took a step closer to the edge and shut her eyes. There was only one more step between her and a watery grave. She began to raise her foot but an image of VJ flashed across her mind and she faltered backwards and away from the edge and fell to the ground in tears. A few moments later she pulled herself up into a seated position and stared out into the distance.

She thought about what she had done and tried to justify her actions. All she had ever wanted was to keep her family together and make sure that no one broke them up again, after everything they had all been through in the past. She was never Amanda Vale’s biggest fan, but if marrying her was what made Peter happy then she was willing to accept Amanda into her family, but she needed to be sure that was what Peter really wanted. She and Colleen had thought that their fool proof plan would make Peter think about what he really wanted and make his final decision, but now Peter was missing and his house was covered with blood and Drew was no where to be seen.

What hurt the most was not knowing if he was missing cause of what she had done or if someone else had done something to him and Drew. If he was missing cause of her, running away wasn’t how she expected him to react and she certainly didn’t expect Drew to leave if Peter left as well. If someone else had done something to either of them, she knew she had more to be scared of.

It was then that she remembered the last time Drew had tried to leave. He only changed his mind because Peter came back. As all her thoughts collided into one another in her mind Leah realised she didn’t know what to think anymore.

She tried to work out what would happen if Peter and Drew didn’t return. All of a sudden she remembered the call she made last night and jerked up. She knew that if Peter didn’t return soon there was evidence that could link her to his disappearance, but worse than that, it was evidence linking her to Amanda Vale’s wedding not taking place. She had more reasons to fear Amanda Vale scorned that the law. But the question was where was this evidence, was it with Peter or was it still in his house. She knew she had to find it before someone else did. The future of her marriage and family depended on it. Leah got up and started walking towards the road that would take her to Peter’s house.

The silence gradually began to fade and she saw a glimmer of light coming from somewhere above her. She tried to see where she was, but realised her eyes were still shut. As she slowly opened her eyes the blurriness returned. She then felt the sand beneath her and realised she was lying on the beach. She tried to speak but she couldn’t. She felt something in her mouth and rolled onto her side and spat out the water that was in her mouth. She then let herself fall back onto the sand. She blinked once, twice and on the third time her vision started to become much clearer as the blur started to transform into people, people that she recognised.

She then remembered being carried by someone and called out his name. “Peter”

Although no one answered she heard people mutter amongst themselves.

She pulled herself up so that she was now sitting on the sand and once again felt the weight of her once beautiful and elegant dress. She had never thought that it was this heavy, when she first brought it. She then felt someone throw herself on to her.

“Oh mum I was so worried about you.” She said as she sobbed into Amanda’s shoulder. Amanda looked down and realised that the sobbing mess on her shoulder was her own daughter. Amanda held her and tried to console her.

“I’m ok sweetheart, mummy’s ok.”

She then felt someone pull Belle of her. She looked at him and he smiled back at her. It was not who she had hoped it was.

“You gave us all a fright there. If Brad hadn’t jumped in the water and dragged you out when he did…”

“Brad?” asked Amanda sounding confused. It was then she realised that there was someone sitting next to her. She whisked her head around and her eyes met the gaze of Brad Armstrong; the school principle, water drizzled from his hair and onto his already soaking clothes.

He offered a nervous smile as he said “I saw that you were having some trouble in the water and jumped in to help...”

“So it was you that carried me out of the water?” asked Amanda, almost accusingly.

“..Well…yeah…You had us all worried when you passed out. We’ve asked Rachel to come back and make sure you’re ok.”

“…But Peter…” Amanda said sounding more confused.

Dan took her hands in his “We still haven’t heard anything. Why don’t we get you back in to the Surf Club where it’s warmer while we wait for Rachel to arrive?”

All Amanda heard was that no one had heard anything about Peter’s whereabouts. She tried to stop herself from sobbing. “You know I’m ok, I don’t need a doctor, really.”

“Well she’s on her way here now and you might as well let her check you. She’s a really good doctor too” said Brad, hoping that Amanda would smile and agree to let his sister make sure she was ok.

Amanda realising what he was trying to do, attempted a half-smile and agreed “Fine” She then pulled herself to her feet as the crowds began to disperse. She let Belle and Irene fuss about her as she made her way into the Surf Club, where she was greeted by an awaiting Martha and Matilda with blankets in their hands, followed by Dan and Brad.

So our favourite Summer Bay vixen lives

Morag V Colleen...just who will win?

What is Leah looking for?

The search continues…

Make sure you come back soon

Awesome! Great writing carmelle. You really set the scene and I can just picture it in my head.

Morag leaned against the Caravan at the end of Colleen’s row and caught her breath. She had no idea that an old bag like Colleen could move so fast, and put it down to all the years of her being such a busy body.

:lol: that was great. I can't wait to see what happens!

• 2 weeks later...

I finally have an update...hope you enjoy it!!! :D

Chapter Twelve – Caught In The Act

The sun shone high above in the clear blue sky, as the waves continued to crash against the rocks, making the seagulls fly from one rock to the next. What had already been a long day for the residents of Summer Bay, only seemed to get longer.

Lucas made sure that he was never more than two steps away from Alf and tried his best to keep a close eye on him, just as he was instructed to do so. Alf was starting to get annoyed.

“Look mate, we are out here trying to find two missing people, if you’re just going to follow me about the whole time, you’re wasting valuable time.”

“…Erm…but you’re the group leader…”

“Yes, and you need to be looking somewhere that I and the others don’t look within our area, we need to cover as much area as possible.”

Lucas needed to come up with something quick or he was going to have to deal with Morag “Well this is all still new to me, so I’m just trying to make sure I do the right thing, I thought by sticking with some that knows what they’re doing, I would make less mistakes...Like learning from the best…”

Alf took a minute to consider what the youngster had just said “I suppose there’s nothing wrong with wanting to do that. Come along then.”

Luc smiled to himself, thinking that this was going to be an easy task. His smile soon disappeared, as Alf lumbered him with the extra equipment and rucksack and continued to walk on ahead. Keeping a close eye on Alf Stuart was a much harder job than Lucas Holden had anticipated.

“Do you think we should go back and check on Sal?”

Cassie turned to Ric “Why would we do that?”

“Cass I’m telling you, something is not right”

Cassie sighed before answering “Look the only thing that is wrong right now is that a friend of ours and his father is missing. We need to do what we can to help and even if there was something wrong with Sal, at this very moment I’m sure she is busying herself with looking after Mr and Mrs Baker and the boys.”

Ric thought about what she said “Maybe you’re right” he said, even though he thought she was wrong and he was right. He knew something was wrong and he intended on finding out what that was and fixing what ever it was if he could, but for now he had to focus on the search and picked up his pace to catch up with Cassie.

Cassie came to a standstill all of a sudden and Ric walked into her and fell backwards. “Hey why did you stop for?” He asked as he pulled himself back up.

When he got no answer from Cassie he followed her stare and only saw a truck drive by. He couldn’t see who was behind the wheel.

Ric nudged Cassie and she came out of her trance.

Cassie turned to Ric, with an expression that was half confusion, half fear. If Ric hadn’t been so pre-occupied with thinking about what was bothering Sally, he would have seen Cassie shaking and her eyes filling with tears.

“What were you staring at?”

“….Er…I thought I saw someone”

“It was probably no one” Said Ric as he walked ahead of Cassie.

“No…but…”

“Come on Cass, we haven’t got all day!”

When Cassie saw that Ric was now much further ahead of her, she shook her thoughts out of her head and tried to push her fears to the back of her mind. She had been taught to face her fears, but she learned when that didn’t work, it was better to make sure you were somewhere safe, when your fears surrounded you. With that thought she ran to catch up with Ric, knowing that she was always safe when he was around.

What felt like several hours later, Leah arrived at the bottom of the drive way to Peter Baker’s house. Looking ahead she saw that the entrance to the house had been sealed off with tape and an officer standing in front of the house. Leah dropped to her hands and knees and silently crawled her way round to the back of the house, making sure that she stayed behind the bushes and trees so that no one would see and hear her.

Peering through the bushes she saw that the back of the house too was sealed off, but there was no officer standing in her way.

She stuck her head out of the bush and peered left, then right. Seeing that no one was around she darted for the back door, ducking under the tape and through the, already-open door.

She sighed for relief once she was inside. As she crept around the house, a house that she had been in many times before, she realised that it had never been this dark or silent before. She came to an abrupt stop when she found that she was now standing in front of the bathroom. She felt her mouth and throat go dry as her eyes saw the blood stains and a pool of blood on the floor. Her heart started to beat much faster. She then heard footsteps approaching and scurried back into the kitchen and hid behind the side of the fridge.

She watched through her hand-covered eyes as Constable Martin walked out with Lara Fitzgerald. Once the coast was clear, she headed for the living room.

Standing alone in the small and dark living room she looked around and realised that there wasn’t

really much in there apart from a sofa, a TV, a DVD player with a few stacks of DVDs next to it, a few pictures on the walls and some boxes that looked like they should belong in Peter’s office and not in his house. She also noticed a bag that belonged to Drew. She headed for the front door where she saw two piles of post.

She crouched next to it and picked up each envelope and held them up, hoping that she would come across a brown envelope with the name Peter handwritten on it in black marker pen.

Leah scrunched her face up in frustration as she placed the last envelope back in to the pile. She got back up, turned around and headed towards the bedroom.

She opened the door and hoped that no one heard the creek. She waited for a few seconds and when she heard no footsteps coming towards her she stepped into the room. She looked around, and noticed that the bed next to the window and the desk looked very unused, a few clothes were all over the floor, and a few posters were stuck on the walls. She realised that she had seen this very bedroom in her house, only the one in her house was much more messier with more clothes on the floor, more posters on the wall and the bed actually looked like it was slept-in than the one in the room she was standing in, both desks looked as unused as the other one. She turned back around and stepped out of Drew’s room closing the door behind her.

She opened the door to the room next to Drew’s and seeing that it was completely empty shut it behind her and turned back around to find the door to Peter’s room. She noticed that the only door she hadn’t opened was one the one opposite the bathroom. She took a gulp and stepped forward, trying to ignore the fact that there was blood in the bathroom. She walked up to the door, opened it, stepped inside and closed the door behind her.

Leah leaned against the door and looked around the room. It seemed as empty as all the other rooms in the house, with only a bed and a bedside table on each side lamp on it and a phone on one. Leah was starting to panic. She was running out of time and she had to find that envelope. She walked up to the bedside table and pulled open the drawer. Apart from a tube of pain killers it was empty. She walked over to the other side of the bed and opened the drawer to the bedside table and found that drawer empty too.

Leah, feeling lost, fell back on to the bed wanting to cry. When she realised that the tears weren’t going to come she rolled on to her stomach and that was when she noticed that there was another door in the wall of the bedroom. Leah got up of the bed and walked up to it. She opened the door to reveal a walk-in closet. Leah chuckled to herself, as she realised this was the only room in the house that wasn’t somewhat empty. Leah started searching, starting from the bottom and working her way to the top. It didn’t take her long before she had looked everywhere and had found nothing. She collapsed to the floor, tired and worn out. She looked up and realised that Peter’s tux was hanging in front of her. Then all of a sudden it came to her.

Leah looked around the closet and found a hold-all. She unzipped it. On the top of the bag were two flight tickets and two passports. As Leah held them in her hand, she once again felt a pang of guilt. She dropped them back in to the hold-all she rummaged through its contents, mainly clothes. She felt something graze against her hand and she grabbed it and yanked it out. She let out a breath of relief as she looked at the brown envelope with the name Peter handwritten in black marker. She zipped the hold-all back up and walked out of the closet.

Taking one last look around Peter’s bedroom, she made sure that everything was how she had found it, well almost everything.

She decided it was time to get out of there. She made her way to the door and opened it, and came face to face with Constable Nate Martin.

Archived