Sleepless Nights

Guest carmelle

Yesss Carmelle. You must update soon, and Jacky must not get his revenge on Martha! -Warns- If you do, I will cry. Nobody wants to see me cry, right? Please? lol, great writing, can't wait to see if Jack does cheat on his beloved wife Martha. Hopefully he realises the error of his ways before he does.

• Replies 61
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Yesss Carmelle. You must update soon, and Jacky must not get his revenge on Martha! -Warns- If you do, I will cry. Nobody wants to see me cry, right? Please? lol, great writing, can't wait to see if Jack does cheat on his beloved wife Martha. Hopefully he realises the error of his ways before he does.

:lol: I guess you will just have to wait and see :P

I will have an update within the next few days

So here's the next update. Enjoy and let me know what you think.

Chapter 8 – The Groom hunt begins

As the bride and her maids get ready, and the guests start filling up the church benches, the groom hunt is on.

At the Bachelor Pad Rachel Armstrong was standing in front of the mirror and admiring herself. Leah had helped her choose the dress. It was simple, yet classy, just like her. She held her hair up in the mirror, and decided she was going to leave it out.

The door opened behind her and Kim walked in.

He saw her reflection in the mirror and spoke to it.

“I must be one lucky man.”

“And why are you one lucky man Kim Hyde?”

“Because I have the hottest chick in town as my date to the wedding?”

Rachel smiled

“Does your wife know?”

“If my wife saw how beautiful she is, she would understand.”

She turned to face him

“Really?”

He walked up to her and took her in his arms. “Why, what do you think my wife might say?”

Rachel started fiddling with Kim’s tie. “Hmm let me see…Kim Hyde if you did take this hot chick as your date, your wife won’t say anything”

She smiled at Kim. Kim smiled back at her.

“Do you want to know why?”

“Why?”

Rachel stopped smiling.

“Cause Kim Hyde, there’s no point in talking to a dead man” Rachel had just finished doing up Kim’s tie. It was too tight.

Rachel smiled at Kim, again. Kim did not smile back this time. His face was starting to turn white. Kim loosened the tie around his neck. His colour returned.

“Your wife will be waiting for you outside. She leaned forward and kissed him on the cheek before walking out of their room, closing the door behind her.

Kim sighed. He wanted to go after her, but he knew that Kit was outside. He sat on the edge of the bed. He couldn’t hide in his room forever.

Kim sighed again.

He got up and walked out.

And there she was, just as he knew she would be.

“Hey Kim.”

Rachel popped her head in the door from outside. “Are we going?”

“Yeah I’m coming” said Kim making his way to the door.

“Me too.” Kim stopped and looked at Kit. Rachel was also staring at Kit.

“Coming where?” asked Rachel.

“Too the wedding” Kit rolled her eyes.

“I thought you were going with Beth!”

“I changed my mind, is that a crime?”

Rachel looked to Kim. Kim shrugged. Rachel smiled.

“Well then, we better get a move on, Jack, Martha we’re leaving.”

Rachel held the door open as Kim walked by and was about to follow him when Kit barged past her.

One of these days she knew she was going to loose it; she hoped that day was going to be soon, but until then she was going to hold everything in, she had to, regardless of how much it hurt her to keep her feelings to herself.

Rachel sighed as she shut the door behind her and followed her husband and Kit.

Martha walked out of her room.

“Come on Jack, we are going to be late.”

“I am coming.” He walked out; he was struggling with his tie.

“Here, let me do that for you.” She walked over to him, took the tie from his hands and gazed into his eyes. She knew that she had hurt him. Lucky for her he had decided to forgive her. She vowed never to hurt him again.

Jack gazed back into the eyes of his wife. He knew that he loved no one more than he loved her. He also knew that he hated no one more than he hated her. He smiled; revenge is going to be sweet, he thought to himself.

Martha saw Jack smiling. She knew she was a lucky woman. She smiled back. She wondered what Jack was thinking. Lucky for her she couldn’t.

At the Caravan Park House the dressed-again Alf, his grandson Ric, Cassie, Pippa and Colleen were waiting for Sally and Morag.

“Ok we’re here, lets go” Said Morag.

Sally saw her daughters and son and smiled, a tear forming in her eye.

“What’s wrong Sal?” Cassie was the worried one now.

“Nothing’s wrong Cassie. I just wish Flynn could see you the three of you, just the way you are, right now.” She said quietly.

Ric picked up Pippa, holding her in one arm and walked up to Sally “But he can see us Sal.” He then offered his other arm to Sally.

Sally smiled, and let the tear roll down her cheek. She then took his arm and walked out with him.

Morag and Cassie walked out behind them. Colleen followed. Alf locked the doors behind them and followed as well.

At the Hunter-Holden house Beth walked out of her room and came face-to-face with a puzzled looking Tony.

He held up his tie

“Bring that here!” He did as he was told.

“You look amazing”

“So does that mean all the other times, I don’t look amazing?”

“No. You know what I mean”

Beth smiled. She knew what he meant. “For your sake, I hope I do know what you mean” she said as she finished with the tie.

Lucas Holden, the younger son of Tony walked into the room. He too was holding his tie in his hands. He too had that puzzled look on his face that Beth had just seen a minute a go.

Beth sighed. Like-father-like-son she thought to herself. “I’ll give you a hand with that Luc.”

Lucas walked over to her and placed the tie in her hands. As she placed it around his neck he smiled at her.

“Beth, you look beautiful today.”

“Thank you Lucas.” Yes, like-father-like-son indeed, she said to herself.

Beth smiled and turned to Tony, who was grinning proudly. Just as Beth had finished with the tie Matilda Hunter, Beth’s youngest daughter, walked out of her room.

“Mattie, you look stunning!” said Beth in awe.

Tony and Luc nodded to show they agreed.

“Why, mother, are you implying that I don’t look stunning all the other times?”

Tony smiled at Beth. “Like-mother-like daughter huh?”

“No sweetheart that is not what I meant!” she answered, avoiding Tony’s flashing teeth.

Mattie started giggling. “Relax mum, I’m just teasing. Lets go, I want to get a good view of Amanda in her wedding dress.”

Luc sighed. What was it with girls and wedding dresses? He thought to himself, as he shut the door behind Beth, Tony, Mattie and himself.

Just as Lucas had shut the door to his house something had just smashed to several pieces in another house.

Irene felt herself smile as the bottle hit the wall and shattered to a million fragments in front of her. She then swept it up and threw what was left in to the bin. She felt good getting rid of her demon. She would have felt better had she got rid of it before it was empty.

She had made a mistake, a big one. But she vowed never again.

She took one final look at herself in the mirror. Her headache was still there. Make-up hid everything else. A smile to go and she was ready.

She grabbed her bag and walked out, shutting the door behind her. Just as the door had shut the phone rang again. Irene did not hear it, again. It was the same voice, leaving the same message, again.

Meanwhile at the Vale Mansion…

Belle was standing in front of the mirror, brush-in-hand, dancing to the music that was playing. Leah walked in.

She started laughing at Belle. Belle turned around. She picked up a brush and threw it at Leah. “Join in, it’s fun!”

“No thank you”

“Come on, Leah, its fun.”

“Ok fine” Leah ran over to Belle and joined her.

They didn’t stop until they saw a reflection of Amanda in the mirror.

Belle stopped the music and the room was filled with silence.

Amanda spoke “Well…what do you think?”

“WOW…you look so…”

“So…elegant…” Leah was lost for words. That was a first.

“Mum, you look magnificent, I think Peter’s gonna drop dead at the alter when he sees you, and the priest too.”

Amanda laughed “Oh dear, I hope not. You two look stunning yourself.”

“We always look stunning, don’t we Leah?”

Leah nodded. She was on guilt overload; she thought she was going to scream. She wanted to cry.

“Leah you have tears in your eyes” said Amanda

Oh crap thought Leah. She had to think quickly. “You look so amazing”

Amanda felt the tears form in her eyes “Stop that, you’re going to set me off, and we’ve had enough water works for one morning!”

She walked up to Leah and hugged her. “I’m glad we’ve become friends. Thank you for everything.”

Leah smiled. She wanted to run around screaming. Leah hugged her back. “Believe me Amanda you have nothing to thank me for.”

They were interrupted by Belle blowing her nose. They broke away from each other and turned to Belle. She was sniffling. Tears were rolling down her cheeks.

Belle and Amanda smiled at each other and then at Belle.

“Why, Belle Taylor, I thought you hated weddings?” asked Amanda

“Yeee-aaah Belle, I thought weddings were stupid?” added Leah.

Belle couldn’t believe that she was being mocked by the joint cult leaders of brides-are-us. She knew that one moment of weakness, and that was it; they would suck her in and never let her leave.

Now she had to think quickly.

She sniffed again. “I hate weddings. They are stupid. I am just happy that we’re all getting along. The two of you will never know what it’s like to feel like you really belong to a family after having gone through what I’ve gone through!” She blew her nose again.

Amanda and Leah both hugged her.

Belle spoke again. “And if you so as whisper to anyone about me crying, I will teach Ryan and VJ all about using a hose pipe and water as a wake up call and plenty more.”

Amanda and Leah knew that Belle was not messing.

“What’s there to tell?” asked Amanda

“Nothing” added Leah.

“Good, now that that’s sorted, it’s time to leave. Our limousine waits.” Belle said as she picked up her bag.

Inside the bag, was three mobile phones, with plenty of miscalls on each.

“Here” Leah passed Amanda her bouquet.

“Wait, I want a photo.” Belle opened her bag and pulled out the camera. She and Leah stood on either side of Amanda. Leah took the photo.

She then turned to Amanda and Belle “Let me take one of just you two.”

“Fine” They both agreed.

Leah snapped away while mother and daughter struck poses. A few pictures later, Belle pushed the camera back into her bag and shut it again. She hadn’t noticed the miscalls.

The bride and her maids of honour made their way down the stairs and outside. No sooner had Belle shut the door behind her the house phone started ringing. Belle, Amanda and Leah stopped.

“Shall I go back and answer it?” asked Belle

Amanda reached out to open the door.

“Leave it, if it’s that important, who ever it is will ring us on our mobiles.”

And that was that. The driver opened the door for them and they got in.

He then pulled out of the drive way and they were on their way to the church.

Even though Dan didn’t have to wait that long for the police to turn up, it felt like he had been sitting there for hours.

The police car pulled up next to Dan’s and out stepped Constable Fitzgerald and S. I. Murphy.

“We came as quick as we could” Murphy tried to explain.

“Well it wasn’t quick enough!” Dan snapped back. Peter is meant to be getting married today.

Murphy and Fitzgerald looked at each other.

Fitzgerald spoke up. “Ok lets take a look”

Dan followed them into Peter’s house.

When they came to the bathroom there was silence.

“Ok, Lara, that looks like blood, but we need to be sure, and if it is blood then we need to know who’s blood it is. Usually when someone goes missing we wait for at least 24 hours before setting up a search team incase they turn up but seeing as this is Summer Bay and Peter and his son are the missing persons I’m going to ring forensics and ask them to come down. We need to get out and seal this house of so that the team can start processing it; you ring the hospitals and see if anyone has been brought in before a call is made to forensics just incase.”

The three of them walked outside. Dan was standing by his car watching and trying to make out what they were saying in hush tones. He couldn’t.

Lara Fitzgerald was on the phone. Murphy walked back to Dan.

“When was the last time you saw Peter and Drew or spoke to them?”

“Last night. We had dinner at my place in the early hours of the evening. They left before it was really late. I spoke to him on the phone later on in the night.”

“I thought Drew lived with you?”

“Well technically he does. He stays with Pete when he feels like it. Nothing wrong with that! He wanted to stay with Pete last night, seeing as after today he wouldn’t have seen him till he got back from his honeymoon.”

“Do you know if they went anywhere before coming home?”

“I don’t think so.”

“Who else was at this dinner?”

“Why does that matter?”

“I’m just trying to establish who were the last persons to have seen Peter and Drew. That’s all.”

“Erm…there was Peter, Drew, myself, my wife Leah, Amanda, Belle and my two boys.”

“You said you were ringing them all morning. Were you meant to meet Pete here?”

“Well yeah…I was ringing to make sure that they were up. Amanda would kill us if we were late and I’m sure Leah would have helped her.”

“Ok. That’s all for now, I can’t imagine what you must be going through, or Amanda for that matter…”

There was a beat of silence

Dan looked at Murphy.

There was another beat of silence.

“You haven’t told her yet?”

“She’s not picking up, nor is Belle or Leah!”

“Well, you better go and tell her, before she gets to that church.”

Dan was confused now. “Why? We can just tell her that we’re running late, the guests won’t mind, well they won’t be mad. I mean weddings always start late, right?”

Dan was rambling.

Lara Fitzgerald came back and joined them.

“Sir, the team are on their way, the hospitals haven’t admitted anyone with what we’re looking for.”

Dan was still confused.

Murphy sighed.

He looked at Dan “At this very moment I know two things. One is that we will find Peter and Drew, no matter what. And two, this wedding is not going to take place this morning, or today.”

“But…”

“There is no but to it. You need to go and tell your family and friends what you know, which isn’t much right now. I will keep you posted”

Lara spoke “We’re going to organise a search team and we’re going to be talking to friends and family. Dan, we will find them. I promise, but now you need to go and tell them what’s going on.”

Dan started to shake his head. He needed to get to the Mansion before Amanda, Leah and Belle leave.

“Let me know if you here anything.”

He turned to his car, opened the door, practically jumped in and reversed out of the drive way. There was a need for speed. He had to get there before they left.

So the guests have started to make their way to the church.

The bride is on her way.

Will Dan find Peter in time to save the wedding?

Only time will tell.

See you soon! :P

I loved it, well, except for the fact that Jack intends on cheating on Mac. I was like, nuuuu! Its sad enough in the show, lol. Pwease make them good, for moi? I'll give you a cookie, and if you're ultra nice to them, meaning Jack doesn't cheat, I'll give you a whole bag of cookies. And a whole box if you make her pregnant, and the box comes if she's pregnant when their together or not :D:P lmao.

All in all, very good update. And I certinally hope Peter makes it in time! I love this fic so much, and keep up the excellent work.

Paris.

xx

That was a great update. I still love this fic!

I can't believe that you're still going to make Jack cheat on Martha. I will join Paris and let you have 2 bags of cookies if you don't let him cheat.

Update soon, can't wait to read more!

*mmmmm cookies* :unsure:

To be honest i havent decided where im taking things with them (or many of the other characters)...i just type away and stop when i think "that's enough for now" :lol: There's still a chance that it could turn out how you want...but i guess you're gonna have to wait to find out :P

Thanks guys im glad you like it...im working on the next chapter, it should be up real soon.

OK i've just finished the next chapter, here it is.

Hope you guys enjoy it. Let me know what you think.

Chapter 9 – The Wedding will take place -The wedding won’t take place

The sun beamed down over Summer Bay, a gentle breeze filled the air and the sea threw its waves against the rocks, again and again. It felt just like any other morning in Summer Bay, only it wasn’t. This morning was the morning that Amanda Vale was getting married, again. By nightfall she was going to be Mrs Baker, again. Yes today promised to be an extraordinary day for the residents of the Bay, an extraordinary day indeed.

Matilda Hunter walked into the church with her mother, Tony and his son Lucas. Matilda Hunter, like many other girls, loved weddings.

“Mum, there’s something magical about getting married in a church, don’t you think?”

“Mattie, I don’t think it matters where you get married. It’s about what makes you happy.”

Tony turned to his son. Lucas was already looking at him. Each gave a nod to the other. And just like that they had agreed to not get involved.

“You know I think I would want to get married in a church.”

Beth put her arm around her daughter. “Mattie, when the time comes and it won’t for many years, you will do what ever makes you happy and I will be there for you, besides you will probably change your mind several times by then.”

Matilda smiled at her mum. She decided there and then that she was going to hold her mum to that promise.

Lucas spoke up. “Look why don’t we sit here.” He said walking towards a bench.

“No! We can’t sit there. We have to sit closer to the front, so that we can see.”

“We can see from here”

“Fine you go to the front, I’m staying here”

Tony decided to be the voice of reason. “Luc, mate, lets sit together. We did leave early so that Mattie could sit at the front. Come on, it will all be over soon”

“Fine”

Matilda took Lucas by the hand and dragged him to a bench closer to the front and sat down. Beth and Tony followed.

A few benches in front of them were two little boys.

The younger of the two boys turned around. He saw Lucas and waved. Lucas waved back at him.

The lady sitting next to him turned to him. “VJ turn around” the boy did as he was told.

Lucas turned to Matilda. “No one is here yet, we are so early.”

“Luc stop moaning. If you’re that bored go and talk to the kids.”

Meanwhile…

A car came to a sudden halt outside the Vale Mansion. Out jumped Daniel Baker. He ran frantically to the door and started ringing the bell.

When he got no answer he started banging on the window.

There was still no answer.

“Aah-man-dah. Lee-aah. Beh-elle.” He shouted.

There was still no answer.

Oh great they’ve left. He thought to himself. Dan ran back to his car, started the engine and turned the car around.

In the limousine…

Belle and Leah were having a fit of the giggles. Amanda sat in silence.

Belle put her arm around her mother and drew her into a hug. “You’re not nervous, are you?”

“Of course not…well maybe a little” Amanda smiled.

“You’re not having second thoughts are you?” Leah asked. She wanted to yell at the driver to stop the limo, so that she could jump out and run and if he didn’t stop she wanted to jump out anyway.

Amanda turned to Leah. “No Peter Baker is the man for me. And marrying him is what I want, more than anything. I don’t think you can get married without the nerves.”

Leah smiled. “No, I guess not.”

Belle rolled her eyes and laughed. “Well I guess if anyone knows about getting married, it would be you two.”

There was a beat of silence.

Amanda and Leah turned to Belle and both stared at her, neither said anything.

“Woah, where did all the love go? I was only messing.”

There three of them sat in silence.

“Ok mum, you’re nervous I get it. But I also know how to make you less nervous” She said with a smile.

She pulled out a bottle of champagne sitting in the chillier and took three glasses. “I’ve heard this thing can calm nerves.”

Amanda and Leah shot each other a look as Belle pulled open the bottle and poured it into the glasses and handed one to each of the women sitting with her.

“To my mum”

“To me”

“To you”

With that the three of them clinked glasses and raised it to their lips. All three of them swigged it in one go.

Leah started laughing again and Belle joined in. Amanda returned to sitting in silence.

Belle once again stopped laughing and turned to her mum. She sighed. Belle once again drew her mum into a hug, but this time she also leaned forward and placed a kiss on Amanda’s cheek.

Amanda was shocked. “What was that for?”

“…well…because you’re my mum…”

Amanda looked at Leah and smiled. Leah smiled back at her. It was now her turn to sit in silence.

Belle’s bag was on the seat next to her. A mobile phone was ringing, but it was on silent. No one was going to hear it.

The limousine came to an unexpected stop.

Amanda, Leah and Belle sat in silence.

The screen lowered and their driver turned around.

“Ladies, I’m sorry about this, but it seems as though we are lost”

Amanda turned to Belle and Leah. They shrugged at her. Amanda turned back to the driver.

“What do you mean we are lost? There is only one church in Summer Bay.”

“Well I’m new with the company. It’s my first time taking a job in this area.”

“Are you not meant to plan the journey before hand or something?” Leah quizzed the driver.

He looked at her like she was a mad woman.

Belle jumped in to help Leah “Hey mister she asked you a question, don’t look at her like that”

Amanda turned to Belle. “It’s ok honey, mummy’s gonna take care of this.”

She turned back to the driver and leaned forward. She yanked the driver to her, by his collar.

“The man of my dreams is waiting for me in that church, so that he can marry me. Now I don’t care how lost we are, YOU are going to take me to that church and I am going to get married. And believe me YOU do not want to be the one that ruins my day, cause if you do…”

“Amanda let go of his collar. I don’t think he can breathe. He’s gone all white.”

Amanda let go at once. The driver gasped for air. He opened the door and jumped out. “I had no idea I was driving mad women!”

“Here are the keys. You get yourselves to the church and have the limo sent back to the company. I’m out of here.”

“Hey I thought you said you were lost, how are you going to find your way back?” asked Belle.

“Anything is better than driving a mad woman anywhere, let alone three. I learnt that from my ex-wife.”

“Get back behind the wheel and drive, that’s what you’re getting paid for.”

The driver saw that Amanda was furious. He turned back around and ran as fast as he could. Belle turned around to see where he was heading, but she couldn’t see him. He had disappeared around the bend.

“Now what?” asked Leah

Belle turned to Amanda.

Amanda held up the keys and smiled.

“I can’t drive”

“And I’ve never driven a Limo”

“But I have”

“But…” Leah and Belle tried to protest.

“But nothing... Do either of you have better ideas?”

“We can ring Dan or Drew and see if they can come out here?” Leah suggested

“No we haven’t got time for that.” Amanda explained as she opened the door and got out from the back.

She shut the door behind her and reappeared again behind the wheel.

Amanda grinned at Leah and Belle from the rear view mirror “Ladies, brace yourselves!”

She then stuck the key into the ignition. Before they knew it they were speeding down the roads of Summer Bay, swerving and turning, where ever they needed to.

The church had filled up with family and friends. The priest, Father Jenkins, was pacing up and down looking at his watch constantly.

Sally turned to Alf “They sure are running late.”

“Weddings always run late”

“No the bride always runs late, where are the guys? Do you think something has happened?”

“No, you’re just thinking the worst. They’ll be here soon!”

Colleen had heard this. She opened her bag, and pulled out a rosary and started praying with her eyes shut.

“Flaming hell woman, since when did you talk to the Big Guy in the sky? I didn’t know he was into gossip.”

Colleen opened her eyes and turned to Alf. “Alfred this is church you know, and I am a woman of great holiness”

Ric burst into laughter as did Lucas who was in front.

“Alfred leave her alone. She probably has many sins to confess; Lord only knows what she has been up to.” said Morag, shooting Colleen a look. Colleen chose to ignore it and turned back to praying.

Matilda turned around. “On that note let me remind you that we are in a church. I think you should stop this childish behaviour now!”

Morag hung her head, ashamed.

“I’m sorry” Alf too felt embarrassed.

“That goes to you guys too” added Cassie looking at Ric and Lucas. Ric and Lucas too hung their heads.

Sally and Beth both smiled. Their daughters had just given them yet another reason to be proud of them.

The door opened. Father Jenkins stopped pacing and looked up. Everyone, including Colleen, turned around hoping that the wedding was about to start.

They were disappointed.

In walked Brad Armstrong, the principal of Summer Bay High and brother of Doctor Rachel Armstrong. He smiled to the people watching him and wondered what he had done wrong.

Father Jenkins resumed pacing and the people turned back to watch him. Colleen started praying again. Morag was once again watching Colleen. Sally was watching Brad.

As Brad made his way over to join Rachel, he saw Sally and waved at her. Sally returned a frosty half-smile and turned away.

Brad dropped his hand to his side and took his seat next to his sister. He sighed. Ever since Sally had returned from hospital he found that she was distant from him. He couldn’t work out why.

“Hey Bubba”

“Hey, I thought I was going to be late.”

“No it’s only the wedding party that are late.”

The door opened again. Once again Father Jenkins stopped pacing and stood still. Everyone, including Colleen, turned around.

There was disappointment, again.

This time it was Irene who walked through the door.

She too wondered why everyone was staring at her.

Oh no, they know! She thought. Irene gulped and sat in a bench behind Martha and Jack.

At the front of the church Ryan Baker was becoming restless. He turned to the lady next to his brother.

“Grandma, how much longer do I have to sit here? Dad said he would be back soon, where is he?”

“Sweetheart, just a little while longer.”

She turned to a man sitting next to her. “Kevin, where are they? Something is wrong! I can feel it in my bones.”

“Woman, how the hell am I supposed to know where they are? You’re the mother, shouldn’t your mother’s instincts or what ever it is, be telling you where they are? And as for your bones, there sure as hell must be something wrong with them. What ever it is, if it’s contagious, I don’t want it.”

“It is my mother’s intuition that is telling me something is up. And as their father you should try and find out what that is.”

“They’re grown men, I’m sure they can look after themselves. We were asked to watch the boys, and that is what we are doing. Dan probably forgot the rings or something like that; you know what he’s like and as for Peter he couldn’t even bother to wait till we got there last night. He ran out of Dan’s place knowing we were on our way and took his son with him.”

“Dan lost the best-man speech” said VJ, thinking that he had just solved the mystery.

“There you go, Noeline, mystery solved.”

VJ smiled. He had just solved the mystery.

Noeline Baker was sure there was something more to it.

Ryan turned to his granddad. “Grandpa, Uncle Pete didn’t know you and grandma were going to come to the wedding. Dad wanted it to be a surprise, so he was the one that told Uncle Pete that he should go home early. Uncle Pete didn’t want to go, but he only went because Drew agreed to go with him. Drew knew about the surprise. And that’s why Uncle Pete and Drew didn’t stay to see you and Grandma. It wasn’t his fault. It was Dad’s.”

VJ nodded to show that he agreed with Ryan.

Noeline Baker turned to her husband and smiled. Kevin Baker hated it when she did that. He was also starting to feel guilty about having just bad mouthed his son; little did he know that soon he was going to feel much worse, very soon.

“Mum you just missed the church!”

Amanda stepped on the breaks and the limo came to a screeching halt. She reversed the limo and this time stopped outside the church. She turned the ignition of and faced her maids of honour.

“Now that was fun.”

“It sure was” agreed Belle

Leah nodded. It was time for her to find out what had happened after what she had done. Amanda opened the door and got out. Belle and Leah also got out.

Leah handed the bouquet to Amanda.

Belle took her bag and flung it over her shoulder. “It’s show time”

Belle, Leah and Amanda made their way up the stairs, to the door of the church.

Everyone inside had heard the car stop. They hoped that the wedding was about to start. Father Jenkins had once again stopped pacing. He was now in the centre of the alter. He too was waiting.

Everyone turned around again.

Belle opened the door slightly and stuck her head in. She could see everyone. She could see almost everyone.

She pulled her head back out and shut the door again, turning back to Leah and Amanda.

“Looks like we’re early after all”

“No you must be mistaken. We are definitely late. You’re telling me no one has turned up to my wedding.”

Leah felt her heart beating, faster. Faster…faster.

“No, all the guests are here and so is the priest, even Ryan and VJ.”

“So if everyone is here and waiting, how are we still early?” asked Amanda.

“Well, Peter, Drew and Dan aren’t here!”

“WHAT?” Amanda was fuming once again.

“You heard me”

“All three of them?” asked Leah

“Yup”

“Ring them and see where the hell they are! NOW”

Belle opened her bag and pulled out her phone.

“Looks like Dan has been trying to ring us all morning.”

Belle handed a phone to Amanda and Leah.

They dialled away.

There was no answer.

“Peter’s not answering” said Amanda

“Nor is Dan” said Leah.

“That’s a no for Drew too”

“Now what?” asked Leah

“I don’t know” said Belle shrugging her shoulders.

“Out of my way” Said Amanda as she flung open the doors to the church and made her way in.

People started to stand up. The pianist started to play. Leah and Belle followed Amanda.

Amanda marched up to the alter and past Father Jenkins. The pianist stopped playing.

He turned to speak to her. She raised her hand ushering him to be quiet. She made her way over to the microphone and tapped into it.

“Does this thing work? Oh good it does. Sit down, please”

Everyone sat, and watched in amazement. Curious at what was happening.

Leah ran up to her. “What are you doing? Get down from here”

“Are you going to make me?”

Leah realised that everyone was watching. She hung her head.

Amanda spoke in to the microphone. “I want to thank every one of for coming. I apologise for this late start. We had a limousine driver that didn’t know where he was going.”

People started to laugh. They thought she was trying to be funny.

Amanda waited for them to quieten down again. When she had everyone’s attention she spoke again.

“So anyway I end up having to drive the limousine to my own wedding, only to find that my husband-to-be and his two best men aren’t even here. And here I was thinking it was the bride that was meant to be late.”

People were laughing again. Once they were quiet again, Amanda resumed.

“The thing is we don’t know where they are...and that’s it”

This time there was no laughing. People started to turn to each other for answers, yet no one spoke. Colleen prayed more furiously than before. It didn’t go unnoticed by Morag.

It was at this moment that Dan came running through the door. “STOP!”

Everyone turned around.

Dan, too, ran past the priest and joined Amanda and Leah.

“Daniel Baker, you sure as hell better have a good excuse and where is that brother and nephew of yours?”

Father Jenkins turned to Amanda “We don’t use the word hell in this house.”

Amanda shot him a glare that was as cold as ice. He gulped and moved towards the benches.

“See that’s the thing…” Dan started as he stood next to Amanda and spoke into the microphone in front of him.

“I don’t know where Peter and Drew are, hey mum, dad, sorry about taking of like that earlier.” Dan said waving at his parents, who looked as confused as everyone else.

There were many shocked faces watching Dan now.

“WHERE IS PETER?” Amanda was fuming.

“Ok as I was saying. I have been trying to ring Peter and Drew since morning. When I didn’t get an answer, I dropped Ryan and VJ with my parents and went to Peter’s house earlier than I was meant to.”

Dan looked at everyone. All eyes were on him. Father Jenkins had made himself comfortable at the end of the front bench. He too was all ears.

Dan continued. “When I got there I was shocked to find the door open with no one inside” Dan stopped.

There were several gasps and shocked faces.

Leah looked up.

Dan continued “I went in, and found their mobiles. They weren’t there. They never leave without their mobiles.”

Dan stopped again.

The church was filled with silence, apart from the sobs coming from his mother.

Amanda had turned a pale colour.

Dan continued again. “That’s not all. The…the… the…” Dan couldn’t find the words. He was starting to get emotional, thinking the worst.

His mother let out a cry and hugged Ryan and VJ.

His father was looking worried.

Ryan broke away from his grandmother’s hold and ran up to his dad.

“Tell them dad, tell them.”

Dan ruffled his son’s hair and spoke in to the microphone again.

“The bathroom walls were covered with blood.”

This time Colleen let out a loud cry.

Leah fainted, Belle caught her.

Tony and Beth got up to take Leah of Belle.

Dan spoke again. “I have rung the police. Forensics are examining the house as I speak. There is going to be a search team looking for them. That’s all I know.”

Dan turned to face Amanda. She hadn’t moved or said a thing since she heard. He took her by the arm and led her down the steps and to a bench.

“Ryan stay with your mum.”

Ryan nodded and sat next to his mum and took her hand.

Dan walked over to his parents as the residents of Summer Bay and the Priest started speculating amongst themselves about what could have possibly happened to the Bay’s detective and his son, again.

“I knew something had happened” His mum sobbed. “I knew”

Kevin Baker stood up. “We have to do something. I can’t just sit here and do nothing while some nut case out there has done something to my son and grandson, again.”

“Dad we don’t even know what’s happened”

“Well are you telling me you think that your brother would do something like this to himself and his son?”

“No that is not what I meant. I’m just saying that we have to let the police do their job.”

“Yes by all means let the police do their job, but as a father and grandfather I am going to do mine, maybe you should do yours as a brother and uncle.”

Alf and Tony approached “We’re thinking of setting up a search team. We can let the police team search and we can also have our own team. We would cover more area that way.”

“That sounds like a good idea to me.” Kevin walked away with Alf and Tony to start putting together the search team.

Dan was furious. How could his own father think that he didn’t care about his brother and nephew?He was pulled away from his thoughts, by someone tugging on his shirt. He looked down to see VJ.

“Where’s Uncle Pete and Drew and what’s wrong with mummy?”

Dan smiled at his son and crouched down. He took VJ into his arms. “Uncle Pete and Drew are lost. So we’re going to go and search for them. And as for mummy, she was just upset about Uncle Pete and Drew being lost. But we’ll find them and when we do Uncle Pete can get married. Ok”

VJ nodded.

“I need you to stay with Grandma, ok”

VJ nodded.

Dan lifted him back up on to the bench. He then sat next to his mum and turned to her. “I don’t know what’s going through your mind right now. But I need you to look after the boys, while I go and help with the search. We will find them.”

There was so much that Noeline wanted to say, but she knew this wasn’t the time or place. She continued holding on to VJ while trying to control her sobs.

Dan noticed Beth and Sally with Leah. She was conscious again. Dan made his way over to join his wife.

Alf approached the microphone with Tony and Jack in tow.

“I think it’s a good idea if we all left the church now. There is going to be a search team set up, our base will be the surf club. So those who can help should make your way over there now. We will meet you there.”

Then Jack spoke. “I have talked to the officers at the scene and my seniors. So far they haven’t found anything that could be of any significance. However they have asked me to tell you that if there is anyone who knows any information that could be relevant to these disappearances you should come forward. They may be approaching you with any questions if they think they need to.”

Hearing this Noeline once again burst into tears and held on to VJ for dear life. Sally made her way over to Noeline and sat next to her and tried to console her. People were starting to make their way out of the church and to the Surf Club. Sally took VJ out of Noeline’s grip and he ran to his mum.

Noeline turned to Sally “I hate that this keeps happening to him and now Drew as well. He is meant to be getting married right here right now, not missing. Oh what if he’s…” She let out a wail.

“No don’t think like that. He’s survived through everything that’s happened before, and he will this time as well. He’ll be back here where he belongs before you know it” Sally hoped she sounded more convincing than she felt.

Noeline looked up at Sally “We don’t even know what’s happened. Last time we thought he was dead but he wasn’t. What if this time…”

Sally sighed “Why don’t you and the boys come with me and my family we can go back to my house…”

“No I want to help in the search as well, it’s my son and grandson, and I want to do what I can”

“But what about the boys?” Noeline once again burst into tears. Sally held her again.

“Lets take the boys to my house and once they’re settled we can go over to the Surf Club if you still want to. Someone needs to be with the boys and right now Amanda and Leah aren’t up to it.”

Noeline sighed and dabbed at her eyes with a tissue. “Ok lets go”

They got up and walked over to Ryan who was still sitting with Amanda, who still hadn’t said a word.

Noeline talked to Ryan “Sweetheart I want you to come with Grandma and VJ”

Ryan looked up at his grandma and Sally. “NO! I want to stay with mum. Dad told me I had to and I want to”

Sally crouched down in front of Ryan “Well may be your mummy could come with us too” she said turning to Amanda.

There was no reply. Ryan nudged his mum.

Noeline put her hand on Amanda’s shoulder. “Amanda”

Amanda looked up at Noeline.

“Why don’t you come with us and the boys to Sally’s house.”

Amanda turned to Ryan and then back to Noeline and Sally “...No you take the boys I want to stay and help.” She said sounding as though she was trying to hold back tears.

“But mum…”

Amanda turned to Ryan “But nothing. Do as you’re told.” She snapped at him.

At once Ryan got up and followed his grandmother to VJ. Sally sat next to Amanda. “We will find them.”

Amanda turned to Sally “I know”

Sally then got up and joined Noeline, the boys and her family and started to make their way back to the house.

Dan walked over to Amanda and was joined by Belle. Dan spoke first. “Colleen is going to take Leah back to the surf club, the boys are going with mum to Sally’s, Alf, Dad, Tony and the others have already started organising the search. Jack is heading of to see what else he can find out. We’re the last people left here. How about I take you back home?”

Amanda didn’t answer

Belle sat next to Amanda. “Mum lets go home.”

“No I don’t want to go home; I want to help in the search.”

“But you’re too upset, you’re not going to be much help searching in this state.”

“And if I go home I’m going to go mad worrying about what could have happened.”

Belle interrupted “How about we go back to the surf club. If we’re there we’d be the first to know if there is any news.”

Amanda took in a deep breath and held back some tears. “Ok lets do that” She managed to whisper.

Dan and Belle followed Amanda and together the three of them made their way out of the church and into Dan’s car.

There was only one person left in the church.

Father Jenkins watched as the last three people left the church. In all his many years as a priest he had never seen what was intended to be a wedding end up like this. He shook his head and decided to do what he did best at times like this. He knelt down at the nearest bench, closed his eyes and prayed.

So the wedding didn’t take place and as the morning draws to a close the residents of the Bay head of to begin their search.

What will they find, if anything?

There's only one way to find out.

Come back soon. :P

Archived