Sleepless Nights

Guest carmelle

Ok so here's the next chapter

Enjoy

Let me know what you think :D

Chapter 6 – Wedding Bells Toll

At the Vale Mansion morning had just arrived. Belle Taylor woke up excited. That was a first, for Belle Taylor was a girl that hated getting up in the mornings, and when I say hate, I mean hate with a passion.

For you see Belle Taylor was the daughter of Amanda Vale, and today was the morning that Amanda Vale was getting married, again.

Belle was the maid of honour, and that too was a first for Belle, and as exciting as that would be to any other girl, to Belle it was nothing more than a task. Obviously she didn’t tell Amanda this.

Belle couldn’t work out why she was so excited. Belle hated weddings. To her weddings were nothing more than an excuse for people to spend lots of money on things that didn’t mean anything, to proclaim how much they loved each other in front of lots of people, only to break up a little later and look like fools in front of the people that were there when they got married. Yes Belle hated weddings. She chose not to tell Amanda this either.

Belle decided that she was going to make an effort, even if that meant forcing herself to smile and act cheesy for the whole day. She wanted her mum to be happy, of course she didn’t tell Amanda this either.

She got up out of bed and went to find Amanda.

She made her way downstairs and into the kitchen.

“Morning young lady”

“Hey Mrs S. You didn’t have to come today.”

“I know I didn’t have to, but I know how busy you and Amanda are going to be, so I thought I would come here and make some breakfast before heading back to get ready. I told Leah I would. It’s no problem.”

“Awww Thank you Colleen. So where is Amanda?”

“I think she’s still asleep pet. Well I’m done here. So you go and wake her up, and I’m going to head back home. I want to make sure I look better than that Madge Wilkins. See you soon.”

“Sure Mrs S. Oh and thanks again.”

With that Colleen left the Vale Mansion and Belle ran up the stairs and into the room in which Amanda Vale was fast asleep.

Belle walked up to the bed.

“Amanda, why is it that I’m the one awake and you’re the one in bed, when it’s your wedding?” asked Belle as she shook Amanda awake.

Amanda started to stir. She turned onto her stomach and was now lying with her back to Belle.

Belle sat down on the bed and looked at her mum.

She took a deep breath.

“Ok this is going to kinda sound corny, but I need to tell you this. I know we’ve been through a lot, probably more than most mothers and daughters. And after the thing with Drew I didn’t think I was ever going to speak to you again, let alone become your friend again. I’m not saying things between us are great right now, but they’re not the worst either. You’re my mother and I’m you’re daughter and there’s nothing either of us can do about that. I guess what I’m trying to say to you is that we’re stuck with each other and that I wouldn’t change it for the world. Besides I can’t let Ryan have all the fun of annoying you and spending all your money, can I? Amanda, as long as we’re honest with each other, and you don’t steal anymore of my boyfriends, I think we’re going to be ok, eventually. Right now, I just want you to be happy. There I’ve said it!”

Belle waited for a reply.

It didn’t come.

Belle poked Amanda. Belle was furious.

“I pour out my heart to you and you sleep through it. Typical Amanda!”

Belle started to shake Amanda again, there was still no reply.

It was at this moment that Belle saw the bottle of sleeping pills on the bedside table.

“Oh mum, what have you done?”

She reached for the phone and dialled for help.

At the Patterson-Baker house Leah’s mobile began to ring, waking her up. She picked it up and yawned into it, still half asleep.

“Hi. It’s Belle. You need to come, quick. Its mum, she’s not waking up. I think she’s had some sleeping pills. What am I going to do? Help me”

Leah was awake now. Tired, but awake.

“She what! I mean she rang me last night complaining about not being able to sleep. We talked. I didn’t think she was going to take sleeping pills. Did she take a lot?”

“I’m not sure. Will you come over?”

“Ok, I’m going to get my things and leave now. In the mean time, keep trying to wake her up. And Belle, don’t panic. We’ll sort this out.”

With that Leah once again hung up the phone.

She ran into the Kitchen where she found Dan having breakfast with Ryan and VJ.

“Hey guys. That was Belle. You’re not going to believe this! Amanda has had some sleeping pills. She’s not waking up. Don’t panic. I’m going to take my things over there now and help Belle out. Dan, you need to get the boys ready. Ryan, remember the rings, remember what you have to do. Oh and where’s everyone else?”

“Look you go and make sure Amanda is ok. I will get the boys ready. Ryan remembers. They’re at the beach. Call me if you need anything. Let me know when she wakes up.”

Leah turned to Ryan and VJ.

“Behave!”

The boys nodded at her.

She hugged Dan. “See you soon!”

With that she picked up her bags, grabbed her keys, got into her car and pulled out of the drive way.

Dan once again joined his sons at the table. Something didn’t feel right.

“Ok boys, lets finish eating so that we can get ready.”

Meanwhile…

Irene Roberts woke up to what she felt was a hammer hitting against her skull, several times. She stretched and realised she was on the floor. She had no idea how she ended up there. She then felt the bottle in her hand.

It all came back to her now.

She got up to her feet. She felt her legs were going to turn to jelly.

She threw the empty bottle on to the sofa and walked, unsteadily into the bathroom. She stood in front of the mirror and gazed at her reflection.

She was ashamed of what she saw. She slumped onto the cold floor, curled into a ball and started to shake as the tears started to flow.

Back at the Vale Mansion…

Belle was pacing up and down. Amanda still hadn’t woken up.

The doorbell rang.

Belle ran and opened the door.

“She’s upstairs!”

Leah came in with her bags. Belle closed the door and followed Leah up the stairs.

Leah dropped her bags in Amanda’s room and saw Amanda sleeping. The guilt was coming back.

Belle came in.

“Here’s the bottle.” She said as she handed the pills to Leah.

“Hmm, well it doesn’t look like there’s a lot missing. Ok here’s an idea. You go and get some cold water and come back.”

Without saying a word Belle ran out. Leah had never seen anyone run so fast.

Leah sat on the bed. She looked at Amanda asleep. Leah sighed.

“If I knew you were going to knock yourself out on your wedding day, maybe I wouldn’t have had to do anything.”

Leah sighed again. There was a beat of silence. Belle came running back into the room.

“That was quick”

“Ok I had a better idea. I connected the hose pipe to the tap in the bathroom.” Belle was smirking. Water was pouring onto the floor.

Leah raised an eyebrow. She too was smirking now.

“I’ve always wanted to do this to someone; don’t you think it’s kinda fitting that it should be Amanda?”

Leah stepped back. “You do what you have to do”

Belle pulled the hose pipe up and aimed it at Amanda.

Amanda Vale woke up screaming. Leah ran out, turned the tap of, and came running back.

Amanda did not look happy. In fact if looks could kill, Amanda would have just committed double murder.

“What do you two think you are doing? You have just ruined my rug, my bed, everything!”

“Amanda, if we hadn’t you would have ruined your own wedding, by not turning up” Leah tried to reason. There was a beat of silence. Leah hoped that the guilt wasn’t showing on her face.

“Amanda, I tried to wake you up. I saw the sleeping pills. I was scared...” Belle tried to explain to her fuming mother.

Amanda cut in.

“Belle Taylor do you think I’m crazy to take enough sleeping pills to knock myself out on the morning that I’m meant to be getting married?” Amanda was mad. Amanda was really mad.

Belle rolled her eyes. “Well, you have done a lot of stupid things before...”

Leah decided cut in before things turned ugly “Belle, let me explain.”

Belle looked at Leah

Leah looked at Amanda

Amanda looked at Leah “Well, what are you waiting for, EXPLAIN!”

“Belle tried to wake you up. She couldn’t. She saw the sleeping pills. She panicked. She rang me. I panicked. We were just worried. You weren’t waking up. And we didn’t know how else to wake you up. It was either this or a trip to the hospital in an ambulance.”

Amanda rolled her eyes. “I would have woken up, when my alarm rang and that would be…”

Amanda didn’t get to finish. She was interrupted by the sound of her alarm clock. Amanda marched over to her bedside table and switched it of, turning back to glare at her rescue team of two.

There was a beat of silence.

Belle decided it was her turn to speak. “Well look on the good side, we’re all up. Mrs S has prepared breakfast. So lets eat and then we can get ready. You’re getting married mum. By the time you get back from your honey moon this will all be dry.”

Amanda looked at Belle. Did she just call her mum again? A smile was forming on her face. Inside she was screaming for joy while doing cartwheels. Amanda couldn’t have asked for a better wedding present from Belle.

“Yes you’re right I am getting married. But don’t think I’m going to let this slide.”

“Amanda may be you should. We were worried. We thought we were doing the right thing.” Leah tried to be the voice of reason again.

“Fine I will let this go. I’m going to go and change and I will meet you both downstairs for breakfast. Leah you can take your things into one of the guest rooms. Belle Taylor get rid of that hose pipe. NOW.”

With that Amanda stormed out, leaving a trail of water behind her. She was followed by Belle and Leah.

Meanwhile…

At the Bachelor Pad Rachel was in front of the TV, flicking through the channels, waiting for someone else to wake up.

She hoped it would be Kim, Jack or Martha.

Unfortunately for her it was Kit.

“Good morning Rachel. I am starving.”

“What’s so good about the morning? And you’re always starving. There’s nothing in the fridge. And Jack hasn’t done the shopping yet.”

“Well Rachel, you’ll find out for yourself when you’re eating for more than one…”

“…Oh I’m so sorry; it just slipped out of my mouth. Erm…I’m going to hit the shower, and then either go to mum’s or the diner before the wedding.”

How dare she, thought Rachel. She was furious now. She wanted to walk over to her and let her hand slip out and whack her one. But of course Rachel knew better.

Rachel smiled at her.

Kit walked hurriedly in to the bathroom, closing the door behind her and wanting to get as far away from Rachel as possible, after that awkward moment.

She got out of her pyjamas and into the shower.

She turned the tap on.

The freezing cold water hit her skin like stones being hurled at her.

Kit let out a scream.

Kim, Jack and Martha were woken up.

Rachel smiled again, maybe it was a good morning after all.

Back at the Caravan Park House…

Ric Dalby, the foster son of Sally Fletcher came downstairs to find his mother sleeping on the couch. Again.

This wasn’t the first time he had found her here. He was worried about her, but he didn’t know what to do.

He went over to her.

“Sal, wake up.”

Sally stirred.

“Hey, I’m going to make breakfast. Granddad and Cass will be down with Pippa in a few minutes.”

“Morag is here as well. She came late last night. I must have stayed here and fallen asleep after she had gone to bed.”

It was another excuse each time Ric thought to himself.

“There will be plenty for everyone.”

Sally got up and stretched. “I am going to go and get ready. I don’t want any of us to be late for this wedding.”

Sally then made her way up to her room.

Ric started to make breakfast, hoping that Cassie would hurry up so that she could give him a hand.

While most people were waking up and getting ready for the morning’s big event Dan Baker was running around the Patterson-Baker house like a mad man.

He was holding the phone to his ear with one hand, and searching for a piece of paper with the other, as well as trying to put his tie on. Needless to say, he wasn’t good at multi-tasking.

“No, I told you I can just about manage getting the boys ready. They look so smart in their suits. It’s just last minute things. Hang on a sec. Ryan, VJ stop kicking that ball around now!”

Dan listened.

“See I told you everything is under control.” He didn’t sound too sure.

Dan listened.

“Yeah Leah called, Amanda is awake now. Everything seems to be going smoothly so far.”

Dan listened

“No nothing is wrong. Trust me! I can understand you’re nervous, but hey you’re not the one getting married.” Dan tried to do what he did best when he found himself in tricky situations, crack a joke. It wasn’t working.

Dan listened

“Look, don’t worry. This will all be over soon. I will see you soon. I’m going to leave the boys with you, so that I can do some last minute best-man stuff and then I will be back before you even know it.

Dan listened

“Love you too” and with that Dan hung up. He couldn’t bare to listen to anymore. He went to find his sons.

“Ok boys, here’s the deal. I have lost the speech. You’re going to help me find it. Then we are going to go.”

As the boys searched high and low for their father’s speech, Dan was on the phone again.

This time there was no answer, again.

Dan felt that something wasn’t right.

He’d been trying to get through all morning. Why was no one answering? He had tried both of their mobiles as well and still no answer. One of them was getting married in a few hours, the other one was also a best man, or best boy as Dan had put it, but the argument for who was really the best man was for another time. Dan had been trying to ring them since the break of dawn. There was still no answer. That can’t be good. Dan thought to himself.

“Ok boys, new plan. We are going to leave NOW. I am going to drop you off and then leave. I will be back soon. Make sure you don’t cause any trouble. Oh and don’t get your clothes messed up or you will have to deal with your mums and you don’t want that and I don’t want that. Got it?”

The boys nodded.

“Dad, if you don’t have your speech, how are you going to know what to say?” asked Ryan curiously

“I will just have to make it up as I go, and hope everyone likes it.”

“Mum is going to be mad” said Ryan and VJ at the same time.

Dan rolled his eyes. “Car now!”

“Ok, 2 boys, Keys, rings, phone and no best man speech. Almost everything” said Dan to himself as he locked the door behind him and joined his sons in the car.

So the bridegroom isn’t answering his phone and he’s supposed to be getting married in a few hours.

That’s never a good sign is it? :blink:

Will Ric voice his concerns over Sally?

Is Irene going to get help?

Will Ryan and VJ behave?

Will Amanda get married?

There’s only one way to find out.

See ya back here, soon. :P

• Replies 61
  • Created
  • Last Reply

That was hilarious! This fic is awesome!

I want to make sure I look better than that Madge Wilkins.

Loved it! That was so funny. I also liked the Kit/Rachel bit. :)

Can't wait to see your next update so please update soon!

Isn't Colleen or Mrs S shall we call her just a doll, how cute of her to come over and make breakfast. Colleen is honestly one of my favorite characters on the show, she always means well in everything that she does!!!

How could Dan loose his best man speech and where could the groom possibly be!!!

I loved how they sprayed Amanda with that Hose haha that was great!!!

Does Leah have anything to do with the disappearance of the groom, hmmm what is Leah upto???

Great work!! Please update soon!!!

• 2 weeks later...

I have an update, hope you enjoy it.

Let me know what you think. :D

Chapter 7 – What next?

Previously a daughter told her mother how she felt. The mother didn’t hear her. A son was worried about his mother. He didn’t tell anyone. A lawyer was suspicious of an old lady. But what exactly was she suspicious of? A brother was thinking his sister was going mad. But was she? A doctor was being pushed to her limit by a pregnant woman.

What else was this morning going to bring for the residents of Summer Bay?

Lets find out.

Lying on her bathroom floor, Irene Roberts found that she was all cried out.

Her headache wasn’t going away.

She had a flashback to the previous afternoon.

Irene had just finished her shift at the diner and was about to walk out and make her way home.

“Irene”

She turned around to see Belle Taylor sitting at the table with Amanda Vale.

“Darl, I was just about to head home.”

“You are going to come tomorrow?”

“Well I’m not sure; I have a lot of things to do here and at home”

“You are on the guest list. I invited you personally. You’re practically family to Belle, and that makes you my family as well. That means you have to be there.” Amanda added.

Ever since Amanda and Irene called a truce for Belle, they had both gone out of their way to be nice to each other when ever possible. At first, Irene had found it hard to keep up the act, but she found it got easier each time. Amanda was a professional actress, it came naturally to her.

Leah walked over. “I hear that the caterer is fantastic, so it might be worth going to after all.”

Amanda, Belle and Irene laughed.

“Hmmm, fine since you girlies need me there; of course I will be there.”

“Thanks Irene” Belle stood up to hug Irene.

She then sat back down to finish her food.

Back in the bathroom

She had made a promise to Belle and Amanda that she would be there.

She had to be there.

There was nothing worse than a broken promise.

Irene dragged herself to her feet.

She once again looked at her reflection.

There was a lot of work to do, before she was going to be able to leave the house.

Meanwhile…

At the Caravan Park House Cassie was washing the dishes.

Morag was reading the newspaper.

Ric was playing with Pippa.

He turned to Alf, who was watching Morag.

“Granddad, have you noticed anything weird about Sal?”

Alf broke away from his observing. “Weird? What do you mean weird?” Alf was now worried.

Great thought Ric, he had now made his granddad worried.

“It’s just that she seems really tired these days.”

Cassie walked over and joined in. “Ric, she hasn’t been out of hospital long. She is bound to be upset after what happened, and scared knowing that who ever is responsible, is still out there. You would be too!”

“Cassie is probably right. Things will be much better once this flaming mongrel is caught.”

Morag looked up from her paper. “Alfred, mind your language in front of that child!”

“Oh don’t you start with me Morag!”

“Cassie, Ric will you go and get ready. Alfred, I think you should as well”

Cassie and Ric knew better than to not listen to Morag. They did as they were asked.

“And what may I ask is wrong with what I am wearing?”

“In case you haven’t realised, it is a wedding and not a boat excursion”

At that moment Colleen walked in.

“Yoo – Hoo. Only me”

Morag looked at Colleen. Her expression was not friendly.

“Why Alfred, I must say that you look rather handsome.”

Morag shot her brother a look and smiled.

“Well woman you must be going mad, cause I’m not even ready yet.”

With that Alf at once stood up and made his way up the stairs. If Colleen liked what he was wearing, that meant he had to change.

Morag had a sudden urge to interrogate Colleen there and then. But she had to keep her cool. Morag got up from the table.

“Colleen, make yourself useful and mind Pippa for a while. I’m going to go and check on Sally. Once we’re all ready we can make our way to the church, together. Won’t be long and do be nice to the kid”

“Of course I can mind the little pet” and with that Colleen made herself comfortable at the table, and started playing with Pippa.

Morag made her way up, quickly.

Meanwhile…

Dan Baker pulled up in front of a church.

The back door opened. Out stepped Ryan followed by VJ.

Dan turned to the boys.

“Now make your way inside the church and they will be inside. You must behave or I’m going to be mad at you, and your mums too, and I …”

Ryan and VJ finished for him.

“…I don’t want that and they don’t want that.” They said together.

“Dad we get it. We’ll be good, but you gotta make sure you come back real quick because we can’t be good forever” Added Ryan. VJ nodded to show that he agreed.

Dan rolled his eyes at his sons.

“I will be back soon!”

Dan heard voices call to him from inside the church.

“Dan, is that you, are the boys here?”

He couldn’t bare to listen to them or talk to them, not now, when something was surely wrong. If he felt it, surely they must too.

“Behave boys, I mean it!”

And with that he once again took of. Through the rear view mirror he could see the four of them stare after the car. He felt bad, but at least he knew that his boys were in good hands until he came back.

Dan drove as fast as he could, until he came to where he wanted to go.

He came to the drive way of the house and came to an abrupt stop.

He got out of his car and ran up to the house.

Dan reached out to knock on the door, only to find that it was already open.

“Anybody in?” his voice was shaky.

He walked in and was greeted by an eerie silence, he half expected someone to jump out at him.

No one did.

After having searched both bedrooms and the living room he walked into the bathroom.

He felt physically sick. He started to feel dizzy. Beads of sweat began to form on his forehead. He wanted to throw up, but couldn’t. He was starting to panic. Really panic.

He was sure it was blood.

“You’re getting married, where are you?” Dan asked, although there was no one to hear him.

There were so many thoughts rushing through his head at the same time, that he didn’t know what to think.

He tried the first mobile.

He heard it ring.

He then tried the second mobile.

He heard that ring as well.

He followed the sounds back to the kitchen.

He saw that both mobiles were on the table.

“Where are these two, they never leave without their mobiles”

Dan had no choice.

He looked back to his mobile again and dialled away.

Someone picked up.

Dan listened.

“Erm…I would like to report a break in. At least I think it was a break in.”

Dan listened.

“I don’t know if anyone is hurt, but there is blood all over the room and…”

Dan listened.

“But no one is here”

Dan listened.

“No this is NOT a prank” Dan was getting angry now.

Dan listened.

“No, you listen to me! I’ve been trying to get through to them all morning. They weren’t picking up their phones, so I drive out here to find that door is left flung wide open, and a room covered with blood. Their mobiles are still here. They never leave without it. If that doesn’t sound like something is wrong then you need to get your head checked. Send someone here NOW. And hurry up he is meant to be getting married in a few hours”

Dan listened.

“Oh sorry, I’m not thinking straight. The two that seem to be missing are Peter Baker and Andrew Curtis, my brother and nephew, they live at…”

Dan didn’t need to tell the person on the phone where his brother lived.

The person on the other end had hung up.

Dan walked back outside to his car. There was nothing he could do until the police arrived. He slumped to the ground and sat there trying to think.

He couldn’t. He felt useless. He wanted to cry, but that was no use either.

Amanda. He had to tell her what had happened.

He hated being the bearer of bad new, but what else was he to do.

He pulled out his phone again and rang Amanda.

The phone rang. It rang and rang and rang.

No one picked up.

Great, just great! Thought Dan, just what he needed.

His frustration drove him to get back on his feet. He let out a scream. “Aaaaarrrghhhh” and then before he could stop himself he was kicking his car. Several times

When the pain in his foot caught up with him, he stopped. He slumped back to the ground again, wincing and did the only thing he could, at that very moment in time; sit and wait for the police to arrive.

So now we know that Amanda’s groom is the one and only Peter Baker.

He seems to be missing, along with his son Drew.

Where could they possibly be?

And was that really blood on the walls?

Who smashed the windows?

Will Dan have to tell Amanda that her husband-to-be is missing, or will Peter be found in time for the wedding?

And just how long will Dan have to wait for the police to turn up?

Want to know the answers to those questions huh? :P

Well then make sure you come back soon.

This is fantastic! And I really like your writing, it's amazing.

Oooh Peter and Drew are missing and Irene is totally messed up...

“And what may I ask is wrong with what I am wearing?”

“In case you haven’t realised, it is a wedding and not a boat excursion”

At that moment Colleen walked in.

“Yoo – Hoo. Only me”

That was my favourite bit. This is an awesome story so please please update soon!

Archived