The fiction thread

Guest Eli

• Replies 58
  • Created
  • Last Reply
  • 2 weeks later...

Nessun Dorma

This is the first, and only original piece of writing I ever did. It was my English Major Work, and looked much better printed out of word - It had pictures and everything, which I could try and recreate, but figured it would be too much hassle. Having re-read it a year on, I find it completely confusing, but I'd love to know what others thought about it. For all intents and purposes thought, please ignore the sentence structure and puncuation - it's supposed to be that way.

Authors Notes: Just thought I'd add a little of the background here underneath. I had to write a story (or stories) using themes from one of our topics we studied. Mine became based around King Lear, particulary his madness, and how he finds serenity at the end, when the storm clears his mind (or turns him completely mad).

But more than that, it developed mostly though the simple (or complex) theme of memory, and how our memories of past events shape who we become in the future. And if they are distorted, then we too, feel like theres something missing from out lives.

I actually wrote a 1500 word reflection statement that becomes a justification of my story for part of the assignment too, but thats not a story, rather a critical analysis, so I didn't bother sharing that.

I'd love to know (if people have the time to read) what they thought about it.

In all honesty, it wasn’t that confusing. I figured pretty quickly that the little girl was a memory of the author’s own childhood and of her parents splitting up so it was easy to relate the "visions" with events in the present. I’ve never read King Lear, but I love Emily Bronte (Wuthering Heights is one of my fave books of all time) so loved the quote at the beginning. (I remember reading one of her poems once, something like Sleep brings no joy to me, no rest for weary eyes).

I did think tho that Jane was a slightly older sister, who, being older, had managed to cope with the break up, and I think Jane as a sister might have worked better. The sentence structure and punctuation doesn’t spoil the story at all, it fits in well with the way our speech is often disjointed and frequently very different to the written word. There’s some lovely imagery in this; I particularly liked how you describe the little girl - the memory of her playing in the rain and twirling the umbrella is hauntingly beautiful.

The major criticism I have is that it was long - but I don’t know if had to be, if you had to write a certain amount of words for your assignment? :unsure: Sorry it took so long to review, I only read it today! Well done, it was really well written. :)

How come it’s your only work of fiction? :blink:

^^ ILM, I think Jess means that it's her only original piece of work. I think all her other stories have been created using existing characters (from television shows, etc). That's how I read it, anyway.

^^ ILM, I think Jess means that it's her only original piece of work. I think all her other stories have been created using existing characters (from television shows, etc). That's how I read it, anyway.

I know. I just meant I wondered why it was Jess's only original piece of work. <_<

Archived