Bad Mistake

Guest -ParaisGal-

• Replies 106
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Chapter Four

Martha ran her fingers through her hair. She was upset, nothing seemed to be going right today. It was three weeks after the accident so she was home, she was happy to that she was home. Jack had minded Jaysen and Lin for a week, then she’d gotten her kids back, to her absolute relief. Now, she was wishing she’d had help. Lin was a bit clumsy, often falling over, but she’d started having trouble with her legs so she was worried, she knew she’d have to get her legs checked, she hoped it was nothing serious. But now she was at the shopping centres at Yabbie Creek, doing her shopping. Ric had lent her his car, and she’d moved the kid seats into Ric’s car. She had both the twins with her, and she was feeling rather hassled by the whole ideal. She’d never gotten used to shopping with young toddlers, it was hard. She put a fussy Jaysen back into the trolley, he’d been trying to get out. They’d discovered that his arm was actually fractured, so they had to put a different bandage on it, but he either didn’t feel the pain or didn’t care. She had Lin in her arms, and Jaysen in the trolley and both seemed determined to get out of her grasp.

------------------------------------

“How about we try a new sauce?” Lucas asked innocently.

“Yeah mate, as long as it’s not green.” Jack said grimly, putting the bottle of green tomato sauce back.

“Jack, come on, don’t be so boring.” Luc said, smirking at his brother as he grabbed it again.

“Why did I ever agree to go shopping with a five year old?” Jack asked his father. The pair had offered to go shopping with their dad for the Christmas Eve dinner tonight.

“Are you going to invite Martha, mate?” Tony asked him “She’s family, and none of us have really had that big a chance to know Jaysen or Linden.” He pointed out.

“I’ll ask her.” He promised, happy to spend time with Martha.

“Maybe you should ask her now and see if she needs help. She appears to be struggling a bit mate.” Tony pointed out, pointing to her struggling to manage two kids and her shopping.

“Sure.” He said, hurrying off to help.

Lucas uttered a sigh of relief “We’re rid of him.”

-----------------------------------------------

“Need a hand?” A voice asked Martha.

Martha heard a voice asked her if she needed help “No, I’m fine.” She said, even though she knew perfectly well she wasn’t.

“Well I’m helping you anyway.” He said.

She looked up, to see it was Jack “Oh it’s you.” She said with a smile.

“Is that a good thing or a bad thing?” He asked, picking Lin out of Martha’s arms.

“It’s a good thing.” She admitted “I need help. Managing two children and shopping isn’t easy.” She said, her frustration showing.

He took Jay out of the trolley “You concentrate on the trolley, I’ll manage these two.” He said, tickling the pair of them as he put Lin on the ground. Lin ran to her mother, and sure enough, fell over.

Martha hurried to her “This is starting to worry me, her legs are proving to be a problem.” She said grimly “I’m going to have to take her to Rachel to get checked out.” She said, sighing as she picked up her upset daughter.

Jack looked at the girl “Maybe we should go now?” He asked.

“No, I’ve got to do the shopping, after.” She said, stressed.

“We’ll get dad to finish it. I want to make sure she’s okay.” He told her firmly.

“We can’t dump it on your dad.” She tried to dodge it.

“Yes we can.” He said, hurrying over to fill in his dad and brother. Soon Jack and Martha were headed to the hospital, kids in the backseat.

---------------------------------

“Martha, Jack, the reason that Linden is having trouble is because Lin has cerebral palsy.” Rachel broke the news to the pair as gently as she could.

“What?” Martha asked, stunned.

“Cerebral palsy, was she premature or anything? Any conditions at birth?” Rachel asked her.

“No, but she had a pretty bay fall when she was about 16 months.” Martha told her “Would that affect it?” She asked.

“During infancy and early childhood, the child is completely dependent on others for his or her safety and protection. Protecting the child from injury is one of the most important responsibilities of the child's caregivers. One such injury is asphyxia, which can damage the brain in a variety of ways, and is the number one cause of CP in this age group. The three most common causes of asphyxia in the young child are choking on foreign objects such as toys and pieces of food, poisoning, and near drowning. The brain may also be damaged when it is physically traumatized as a result of a blow to the head, which is obviously Linden’s case. A child who falls or is involved in a motor vehicle accident or is the victim of physical abuse may suffer irreparable injury to the brain. One form of child abuse is the shaken baby syndrome, in which the caretaker is trying to quiet the baby by shaking too vigorously, causing the brain to strike repeatedly against the skull under high pressure.” Rachel explained.

“What is cerebral palsy?” Jack asked.

“Cerebral palsy is the name given to a condition which affects the way the brain controls the muscles of the body. This results in difficulties in movement and posture. Cerebral palsy has different causes, and affects each person differently, therefore people with cerebral palsy have varying individual needs. Cerebral prefers to the brain, and palsy refers to the weakness, paralysis or lack of muscle control. Cerebral palsy is the most common physical disability in childhood. It is estimated two to three people out of every 1000 will have cerebral palsy. The condition is not hereditary and there is no cure.” She explained further “Spasticity occurs when muscles are high in tone (tension) but weak in strength. A person experiencing spasticity may have difficulty moving their limbs and adopting stable posture. Athetosis refers to uncontrolled movements, which are often most noticeable when a person with this type of cerebral palsy commences movement. In addition, children with athetoid cerebral palsy often have very weak muscles or feel floppy when they are carried. Ataxia is characterised by unsteady, shaky movements or tremor. People with ataxic cerebral palsy and related disabilities have difficulty using muscles to achieve balance and coordinated movement. This is the least common type of cerebral palsy and related disabilities. It is important to note that the movement difficulties each person has will be unique. Often a person with cerebral palsy will have a combination of the characteristics of the different types described above and postural characteristics may change as the person matures.” She informed them “By Lin’s signs, and the testing, I’d say that she has mostly spasticity, in her legs. Her arms are pretty good, but from what you’ve told me she can be clumsy with things in her hands.”

“So there isn’t a cure?” Martha asked, trying hard to remain strong as both her kids were in the room.

“No, there is no cure.” She said softly “It is hard but you can get through this. I’m nearby, if you go into trouble, day or night, feel free to ring me, no worries. I understand it will be hard but everyone will help you.” She assured her.

“I’m going to stick around.” Jack told Martha firmly.

“Thanks.” She said, smiling.

NEXT CHAPTER: How will the Bay react to the news? And Tony’s Christmas Eve dinner!

PLEASE RATE AND REVIEW!

lol yea go paris with the medical stuff lol even if you are getting them mixed up it still sounded really smart lol :) that was such a good chapter but poor lin i feel bad for her.

i didnt know rowan could be a girls name but then ive never heard of a boy by that name either lol :P i like jaysen better anyways lol :P aww i love the little kiddies there sooo cute lol

aww and martha is starting to trust jack again more and letting him in thats good :)

update ASAP :)

<3 Tiff

Archived