Kate in TV Week

Guest ter06

Leaving Home

Monday, December 18, 2006

Home And Away fans across the country were shocked to hear last week that Kate Ritchie will soon leave the popular show.

Although this news came as a surprise to the industry and fans alike, for Kate — who has played the character of Sally on the popular soap for a record-breaking 19 years - her departure was always a matter of when, not if.

"Of course I have plans to leave the show," she tells TV WEEK. "To be honest, I look forward to the day when I'm not on the show because I wonder what it holds."

Her departure comes off the back of what has been a truly extraordinary year for the star. After 18 years on air, Kate was finally recognised for her contribution to Australian TV, picking up a coveted Silver Logie for Most Popular Actress this year.

She also proved she's got what it takes to make it outside of the show that made her a star, joining some of Australia's top acting talents in the ABC telemovie, Stepfather Of the Bride.

For Kate, it had become clear that the time had come to leave the Bay.

"I think everybody has their use-by date, and I think that it's important for me, personally, at some point, not to be there," she explains.

Details of her departure are being kept secret by the Seven Network, but if the season finale was anything to go by, her exit may be sooner than we think. Or will it?

Kate reveals she's set a date, adding, "bit I never know if I'm going to stick to it. And no, I won't tell you!"

Archived