Support Group

Dan F

Thank you for your kind words. I will post about how it goes tomorrow afternoon :)

Congrats on getting an interview. That's amazing.

I know how it is to feel anxiety/depression. It's the worst. An interview is a lot of pressure when you struggle with confidence and anxiety issues. It can have you thinking about all the negatives instead of focusing on positives. Do you have anyone you can practice interview questions with?

I went to the hairdressers yesterday and she was giving me loads of advice as well as giving me some practice questions (she has interviewed a lot of people before). My sister was also helping this morning and will be helping me pick out an outfit to wear.

I never thought I would get to this stage in my life. Hell, I would have laughed if anyone had said I would be going for an interview for a retail job.

That is nonsense Of course you could have got here. Because you are amazing. Anybody who goes through something like anxiety/confidence issues/depression and is still here fighting the negative stuff is a hero. Because not only do we have to deal with ourselves telling us how bad, crap, stupid we are there are way too many people out there who will do the same. Everytime you do something that deals with your issues you make yourself a Hero. Focus on that.

Now, retail is just putting stuff out in the shop, smiling at people and taking their money. Take it down to the lowest common denominator and think about how easy it is. How you can do it. Because you can. Admittedly the first few days will be hard whilst you find your feet, but then that is the same way for everyone, and as soon as you get over that you can build on it. There will be bad days. There will be days you don't want to get out of bed. But there will be great days too. Days you can't wait to get to work. And these are perfectly natural.

Take your time answering the questions. Focus on what you can offer them. Because you have a lot to offer. Do your research about the company. They have videos on their website as part of the application process that should help you. And most important of all remember, you are actually AMAZING...

• Replies 3.8k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Thank you for your kind words. I will post about how it goes tomorrow afternoon :)

Congrats on getting an interview. That's amazing.

I know how it is to feel anxiety/depression. It's the worst. An interview is a lot of pressure when you struggle with confidence and anxiety issues. It can have you thinking about all the negatives instead of focusing on positives. Do you have anyone you can practice interview questions with?

I went to the hairdressers yesterday and she was giving me loads of advice as well as giving me some practice questions (she has interviewed a lot of people before). My sister was also helping this morning and will be helping me pick out an outfit to wear.

I never thought I would get to this stage in my life. Hell, I would have laughed if anyone had said I would be going for an interview for a retail job.

That is nonsense Of course you could have got here. Because you are amazing. Anybody who goes through something like anxiety/confidence issues/depression and is still here fighting the negative stuff is a hero. Because not only do we have to deal with ourselves telling us how bad, crap, stupid we are there are way too many people out there who will do the same. Everytime you do something that deals with your issues you make yourself a Hero. Focus on that.

Now, retail is just putting stuff out in the shop, smiling at people and taking their money. Take it down to the lowest common denominator and think about how easy it is. How you can do it. Because you can. Admittedly the first few days will be hard whilst you find your feet, but then that is the same way for everyone, and as soon as you get over that you can build on it. There will be bad days. There will be days you don't want to get out of bed. But there will be great days too. Days you can't wait to get to work. And these are perfectly natural.

Take your time answering the questions. Focus on what you can offer them. Because you have a lot to offer. Do your research about the company. They have videos on their website as part of the application process that should help you. And most important of all remember, you are actually AMAZING...

What she said!!!

Thank you all for your kind words!

A quick update. I went into the interview with my head held high and was honest about my background when a question about achievements came up. The person interviewing me was the nicest person ever which helped loads. Before the interview started I was given the task of picking an outfit for the scenario of 'An evening meal and night out' so after a few seconds of panic I picked out something I would wear. Almost went with high heels but stopped myself because I definitely wouldn't wear them, so went with beautiful flat shoes. Turns out my dress sense ain't as bad as it used to be :lol:

They are interviewing a few more people in the next few days so I probably won't know until end of next week. I am hopeful though because she told me the benefits of working there which I wouldn't need to know otherwise (excellent benefits though :D).

Just thought you guys would want to know.

A quick update. I went into the interview with my head held high and was honest about my background when a question about achievements came up. The person interviewing me was the nicest person ever which helped loads. Before the interview started I was given the task of picking an outfit for the scenario of 'An evening meal and night out' so after a few seconds of panic I picked out something I would wear. Almost went with high heels but stopped myself because I definitely wouldn't wear them, so went with beautiful flat shoes. Turns out my dress sense ain't as bad as it used to be :lol:

They are interviewing a few more people in the next few days so I probably won't know until end of next week. I am hopeful though because she told me the benefits of working there which I wouldn't need to know otherwise (excellent benefits though :D).

Great to hear Jess, fingers crossed for you! :)

Sounds promising.

Sounds like it went really well. You should be proud of yourself :)

Fingers crossed for you.

Just an update.

Got a phonecall about 10 minutes ago to say that sadly they are not offering me a contract at this time but are keeping hold of my CV incase another job becomes available. I was polite and said thank you on the phone but damn, I am a little heartbroken. It took actually applying for a job and getting an interview for me to realise how much I wanted the job.

A taste of freedom snatched away again, I guess.

Just an update.

Got a phonecall about 10 minutes ago to say that sadly they are not offering me a contract at this time but are keeping hold of my CV incase another job becomes available. I was polite and said thank you on the phone but damn, I am a little heartbroken. It took actually applying for a job and getting an interview for me to realise how much I wanted the job.

Absolutely not because now you've got the experience of job hunting/interviews that you can add to your 'I'm actually wonderful' folder.

What? You don't have one of them? Better get one then.... because you'll need it for all the positive things you can do, you have been doing....

Good luck with your next job application.... x

Just an update.

Yep at least you have the experience of having a job interview it will help you with your furture applications . So yeah don't look at not getting this job as a bad thing, Look at it has having an insight into the interview process.

Keep trying and I'm sure your manage to wow them in your next interview :D good luck

• 3 weeks later...

So I have a job interview for wednesday and I can't focus on it, I keep thinking and crying at just how easy it was for him to trample on my heart. Like my heart meant nothing at all to him and stupidest thing is I don't want to lose him. I must be the most pathetic person ever. I have spent all of my bank holiday weekend crying and I have to go to work in the morning. Plaster yet another smile on my face :(

Archived