Support Group

Dan F

Personal opinions from anyone, either via here on the forum, PM, etc.

An osteopath or chiropactor?

I suffer major back pain. If I sit down for too long, it aches. If I stand up for too long, it aches. I have gone through loads of reasons wondering why and I assume that it can be hereditary? My dad suffers extremely bad back pain. He usually sees an osteopath and says it works really well but all they do is massage your back?

And apparently, a chiropractor is meant to click the bones to change the structure in your back or something? Isn't that better?

Sorry, I just need advice because no matter what else I seem to do, I am in pain with it. And being at university in a lecture for two hours is very uncomfortable for my back too. Any exercises that I do, etc, don't work and my back aches so much.

Any advice? It'll be much appreciated! Thank you :)

• Replies 3.8k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

I cant seem to do anything right, I cant even get a stupid piece of work done right & I swear my lecturer hates me. I get it all done with time to spare, and I might as well have not done it! Now I have to get it done & I literally havent got time to get it done, I spend so much time getting everything done for it all to be for nothing, I might as well give up espeically since none of my lecturers are helping, they cant even answer emails! :(

I suffer major back pain. If I sit down for too long, it aches. If I stand up for too long, it aches. I have gone through loads of reasons wondering why and I assume that it can be hereditary? My dad suffers extremely bad back pain. He usually sees an osteopath and says it works really well but all they do is massage your back?

And apparently, a chiropractor is meant to click the bones to change the structure in your back or something? Isn't that better?

Sorry, I just need advice because no matter what else I seem to do, I am in pain with it. And being at university in a lecture for two hours is very uncomfortable for my back too. Any exercises that I do, etc, don't work and my back aches so much.

I have no idea if it can be hereditary or not but do you and your dad have the same complaints? If you do, then going to an osteopath may be good if it works for him. I have had some back problems and had to go to a physiotherapist. She made me do some exercises but she also gave me a back maassage at the end. Not only did it feel great, I also thought it helped me. I first told my GP about it though and she sent me to a physiotherapist so maybe you should go see your GP and they will be able to tell you what kind of doctor you need.

Thanks for replying Barbara!

I'm (luckily) nowhere near as severe as what my dad is. His back can often go into spasms and he has to do the hot and cold treatment.

With me, it's general ache and dullness in the middle and lower part of my back.

I did recently go to my GP because I have a hip complaint.

My left hip often locks out of place and the bones feel like they grind together.

So whilst I was there, I did mention having back pain. She checked but didn't say anything but sent me off for an x-ray on my hip.

Just waiting for the results to come through now so whether or not the two of them are related, I don't know.

Carina, I don't know what support services you have at your uni, but there might be the ability to get a more supportive chair for lectures/tutorials which is solely for your use.

It's hard to believe that someone could lie to you but if you have the proof then you should talk to the person & make it clear that you are aware of the situation and if you want answers to ask for them.

I know what it is like to be lied to and it's horrible so personally the quicker you put a stop to it the better.

Hope that helps in some way

• 2 weeks later...

Archived