Support Group

Dan F

Thanks for your advice, I really appreciate it! I'm scared of consuming too many carbs and too many calories only because I'm worried it may be bad for my body. But you make a good point about ensuring the calories are high, which may lead to weight gain. If any a diet they used uccess in gaining muscle mass by a diet they used I would love to hear from you. I actually have a punching ball at home, its like a punching bag but a ball :lol: I have boxing gloves, so I do boxing as my form of excerise. But I am thinking of doing Tae Kwon Do soon, so that might be helpful. It's just really hard when it comes to work, because unless I'm working over 5 hours they won't give me a break. I don't get ten min breaks at all. So if I eat every two hours I'll be starving when it comes to work. Unless I'm working 5-6hrs that day I won't expect a lunch break, which makes it harder to stick to my diet plan.

• Replies 3.8k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Thanks for your advice, I really appreciate it! I'm scared of consuming too many carbs and too many calories only because I'm worried it may be bad for my body. But you make a good point about ensuring the calories are high, which may lead to weight gain. If any a diet they used uccess in gaining muscle mass by a diet they used I would love to hear from you. I actually have a punching ball at home, its like a punching bag but a ball :lol: I have boxing gloves, so I do boxing as my form of excerise. But I am thinking of doing Tae Kwon Do soon, so that might be helpful. It's just really hard when it comes to work, because unless I'm working over 5 hours they won't give me a break. I don't get ten min breaks at all. So if I eat every two hours I'll be starving when it comes to work. Unless I'm working 5-6hrs that day I won't expect a lunch break, which makes it harder to stick to my diet plan.

No worries. If you think about it, you can say it’s math – To put on weight you need to consume more calories than you use up.

Boxing and martial arts can be great forms of exercise but the problem is they are primarily cardiovascular – Good for building up your fitness level and burning calories, not so good if you want to build muscle mass, although if you want to do weight training you should do some sort of exercise beforehand to warm up. I understand that it must be difficult because of work. I was lucky because I was primarily office based at the time so didn’t need to take breaks because I could just eat at my desk. Can I ask if your work is physical? The only reason I’m saying that is because you will also have to factor that in. Before I worked in an office I used to work in a shop and I remember quite often having to arrive really early in the morning to do the delivery from the truck and it involved shifting heavy pallets of stock and help putting the goods into the warehouse. After then I had to spend the rest of the day going up and down the stairs carrying stock, putting it onto the shop floor and filling shelves so I would have been using a lot of calories. Furthermore like yourself there were only two breaks throughout the day – a lunch break and an afternoon break so I would have found it very difficult to put on weight if I’m being honest. Again when I was office based I remember during my lunch I would always take a bag of peanuts with me and eat them on the way to the supermarket where I would buy something to eat when I got back into the office.

I only get one break, which is 30mins :( You're lucky you get two! :) My work is physical, and yeah to me building muscle mass is like a formula, I'm always reading the labelling for protein, carbs etc. Just worried about the risks of having excessive amounts of calories, carbs, I don't want it to negatively impact my health. Thanks for your reply.

• 1 month later...
  • 2 weeks later...

I've not been well recently, fainted at Mind in Febuary (the place where I go to build up my confidence) and had dizzyness ect, had to have all sorts of tests done by my GP, I had a blood test done, chest x ray, ECG, a 24 hour ECG, and I have to have a Echo Heart Scan tomorrow, it's a bit like an ultrasound. I seen my GP about two weeks ago, and he asked how I was, and told him still been getting the dizzyness, and he said until he gets all the results back from the tests he wanted me to have done, he has diagnosed me with anxiety. So he prescribed me with Diazepam, got to go back to see him on 10th of May. Well last week on Wednesday, I was at my mums and I didnt feel well at all, felt like my heart was beating too fast, and nothing happened to cause it, it just happened out of the blue. Then Thursday at my aunt's house where I live I was only watching TV in the front room and I started crying when my aunt asked what was wrong, I couldnt answer her as I didnt know, then she told me to see the doctor again, thats why I've got the appoinment on 10th of May. I know its a while away yet, but there's only one Dr who I can really confide in about this sort of stuff. On Saturday, I went to Trinity Mind, the drop in which is in town, and there was this man who I didnt recognise, he kept coming over and asking to sit next too me, so I panicked and my heart was beating too fast, had an anxiety attack as I felt so nervous because I didnt know him, so I had to get out of there, even though it's a safe place to be, and Liz the voulenteer had to come outside and calm me down, also Maddie the staff who runs the drop in on Saturdays, she hugged me for ages.

I think my type is social anxiety (You feel an extreme fear of being around people that you dont know) - so was struggling to cope with the anxiety last week.

Got told I might need to have my medication changed or be put on anti depressents. Aswell as going to Mind, also need more support for my confidence and low self esteem so the Dr has refferred me to this place called Chase and Emotional WellBeing.

Anyone got any advice, on how to deal with social anxiety and how to cope, and what else will the doctor be able to do to help me?

Zoe, like I said in the PM. You need your friends and family at a time like this, it might not feel like it now but you will get through this and with treatment and/or counselling, you will come out the other side a lot stonger.

Archived