Support Group

Dan F

I recently just got diagnosed with gastrointestinal eosinophilic disease, or possibly hypereosinophilia. Its a chronic sometimes fatal rare disease. I was wondering if anyone else on here had any hypereosinophiliac diseases or knows of someone, as I'm having some trouble coping with a chronic disease at just 15.

I have a similar chronic illness, Crohn's Disease. I was 15 when I got it also. I was undiagnosed for two months, and then diagnosed two weeks after my 16th birthday. The symptoms of your illness were exactly the same as mine.

I know there are some things you probably don't want to talk about publicly. I've gone through it at your age, so I can relate to it a lot. There will be certain struggles such as nutrition, school, self-esteem etc., but it will all get easier.

If you need a chat about stuff, please feel free to PM me. :)

• Replies 3.8k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

I split up with my boyfriend about three weeks which i was happy about cause both of us were unhappy in the relationship and I went really down hill emotionally. About two weeks ago he said he might get together with one of his uni friends and want to check i was okay with that, which i said i was. Last weekend he went down to his uni town to visit him and yesterday changed his status to into a relationship on facebook. I'm glad he's moving on but did he have to put that status on facebook the weekend he hooked up with her. Kind of belittles what we had for three months and also makes me suspect that sort of hooked up when we were still together.

I don't want to be with him, but it still hurt that he'd announce to the world so soon that he was with someone else.

Lise, have you tried confronting your father about all that is worrying you? It sounds scary but it may work, sorry to hear about your dad.

I will do that if he gets out of hospital and goes back to what he was doing. He's still in hospital (one month on tuesday) and is still very sick. The medication they have him on makes him very groggy so he's hard to talk to. We are going back up there next weekend to see him.

I know people deal with this sort of stuff differently but my sister hasn't even contacted him yet. All I get when I phone him is tell your sister that it would be nice if she rung. She annoys me so much. The longer she leaves it the harder it will get.

rising-flame - That feeling sucks. It's like you can't control because you really don't want to be annoyed at him but you are. I'm not sure what to do about it though. Maybe it will just pass?

I... I didn't want to post in here but I need a soundboard.

For a long time I drifted in and out of suicidal thoughts and I've been okay with that. But lately it isn't just suicide that has been on my mind. I'm in a dark place, with dark thoughts and I have come to a stage where I don't trust myself anymore.

Oh Musie,

I'm not sure what I can say that will help so I can offer a hug. Suicidal thoughts are hard to deal with, but sometimes just admiting they exist can help. Feel free to PM me if you wanna chat to get everything out.

Lise - things are better now. I wrote a letter to him which I'm gonna burn and had a really long chat with my best mate and her fiance on saturday and I think i've finally accepted that I am so much better off without him.

At least you know that the thoughts you're having are dark, and might lead you to do things you don't want to do. That's a big plus, and is probably a good sign that you can trust yourself not to do anything that you can't take back. If you have a counselor, it might help to discuss some of the specific impulses with them to try and work out where they're coming from and why you think you want to do things that you know you really don't. For example, killing yourself, which, if you're anything like me, you can handle the thought of because you believe that it's not hurting anyone but yourself. That's not true, by the way. There are people - maybe even people you don't know - who would hear about a bright young woman ending her life, and become depressed themselves at the thought of it. I didn't know Mark Priestly, but his suicide tipped me over the edge with my own depression, and was the catalyst to making me get some real help to deal with it. I'm one of the lucky ones, because I could have easily stuck with my initial thought of, "if a gorgeous and talented person like him can't handle life, what chance do I have?" and let myself go down the same road as he did. I'm very grateful that I had the opportunity to change my course. For me, it was some very effective anti-depressants called Effexor. They have completely turned my life around, and if you haven't tried them, I would seriously suggest discussing it with a doctor. I was once where you are, and I was terrified that I was going to lose control and hurt someone. It's a very scary place, but I hope it helps you to know that if I can get out of it, anyone can. Seriously. I believed myself to be the most useless, pathetic, and evil waste of space under the sun, but after a few weeks on Effexor, I realised that's not the case, and after a few months of it, I realised that not only am I just as worthwhile as anyone else, but I can be as productive as anyone else, and I can achieve anything I want to because I now have the confidence and belief in myself that everyone else always seemed to have in themselves, and in me, even though I could never understand why, or even believe that what they were saying was true. I thought that self-confident people were deluded, and that supportive people were liars. Well, maybe being medicated is a kind of delusion, but it works for me. Perhaps it can work for you too :) And by the way, this support is not lies! I have faith in you :D And in Effexor :wink:

I agree with what Emmasi said, I'm on plain prozac but it really did help (although after 7 years I'm beginning to suspect it's losing its effectivness).

You've actually got through the hardest point which is recognising that there is a problem. Even if you can't confront it yet, knowing it's there helps.

Talking to a counsellor if you can is a good idea. A really good one will help you get to the bottom of the problem (and stop you avoiding the issues when talking). If you don't do so well with one person see if you can change. It's a bit like friends, one person doesn't suit everyone.

In the meantime, please don't do anything bad, I have confidence and faith in you that you're a bright person who the world would be sadder for not having. :)

Wow ... I just read a few pages of this thread, and had no idea of some of the situations you guys were in ...

I don't really know who to respond to first;

Musie; dark places are the scariest to be in; and I don't believe there needs to be a cause for them to occur. I agree however with the others that, if it's possible for you, talking to a psychiatrist / counsellor would do the world of good, if you found one that you bonded with, and trusted. Obviously trust is important; they'll often be able to unravel the reasons for feeling so lost / unable...

As Emmasi and rising-flame said, drugs can help too when they're the right medication for you. The ones for me were Lexapro, and even though I weaned myself away from them, I don't think I'd be where I am now, or even who I am now, without them...

Do feel free to PM me; to you, or anyone that just wants to chat ... I'm going to be checking in and out of this thread a lot more now!

♥

I have suffered depression for years and am on depressants at the moment. Instead of seeing a therapist (which I have done before) I am attending workshops because my condition is due to anxiety, low self-esteem blah blah blah...

But since christmas it feels different. The voices in my head are turning on me and I'm scared. I'm dodging college, I keep falling asleep and if I had my way I would paint the windows black and write my inner ramblings on the wall.

Did anything happen at christmas?

Have you or your doctor considered SAD - seasonal affective disorder?

I finally got diagnosed with it this christmas, as every winter i get more depressed than usual. I got a light to help out with it and it's made a difference. Don't underestimate the difference the weather can make to your mood.

Do you find the workshops are helping?

Archived