Support Group

Dan F

• Replies 3.8k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

A 5/6 year age gap between kids might not be that bad. My mum had her first child when she was 20, then she had me when she was 25. My sister was 5 years older than me and we still had a great time growing up together. I enjoyed having an older sister and she enjoyed having a younger brother, and she always looked out for me.

If you decide to have another kid now instead of taking the job, there will be a 2(?) year gap between your son and your newborn. From what I've seen from extended family, the older child (your son) will probably feel left out when the new baby arrives, that's not saying you will ignore him, I know you won't and I'm sure you'll love your children equally, but a child needs everybody's attention.

I know that won't help you in the slightest, but it was worth a try :rolleyes::P But I think it's a real "sit down and talk" issue that you need to discuss with your husband. Sorry for being no help at all! >.<

No, thanks Cal and everyone, it does help. There's a five year difference between me and my other sister, we get along but we're not as close as I am with the other one who is only two years younger. If she wasn't there, then we probably would be closer. All my family, there's not much of a gap between kids so that's how I've grown up wanting them two or three years apart.

If we were to have another one at the end of the year/start of next, then there would be 2 1/2 - 3 years between my son and the newborn. What I'm worried about is that if I do leave it for five, I think it will be harder for him to adjust. I know there's going to be a certain amount of jealousy when a new baby comes along, but he has no cousins and won't for a long time most likely. He's not spoilt, but he does get all of the attention. If that goes on for five years, who knows how he'll react. Like when I was pregnant, my brother told me if I had a girl he would kill it. He was eight and had been the youngest for a while and he wanted a 'little brother'.

Rising-flame (sorry I don't know your name), I know what you mean about the resentment. I think most parents will feel that in some way. I know I resent my son at times because I had him at a young age and I feel like I've missed out on things. But having him outweighs any negative. And I've never wanted a career, the only thing I have been sure of is that I wanted to have children. And if a career comes, then it can come later.

I know I might be getting ahead of myself, but I want to fully think this through and consider every option. I find myself wishing that I won't get the job so I can have another baby. But I know I'll be upset if I don't get it. Whatever happens, I'll see it as a sign. Oh well, I guess I'll know in a few weeks.

I'm kind of at a turning point. I've been offerred a position in management at McDonalds, and I really want to take it, but I have to sign a contract that binds me for 2 and a half years to them. It's the thing that I have set my sights on, but now that it's coming closer to fruition, I'm having doubts.

Thanks for the help guys. :) I decided to do it..signed the forms today. I feel better about it now that I have.

My orientation course is tomorrow. Have to be there by 7 so up at five thirty am for me. Yay....<_<

• 2 weeks later...

Ok so I found out yesterday that I didn't get the apprenticeship because I didn't pass one of the apptitude test. I was more upset than I thought, but I think it was because I failed and I hate failing. I'm peeved too because they say you don't need any previous experience or knowledge and the test I failed was for Mechanical Comprehention. It was all about stuff that you would know if you had previous experience and there was nowhere in the test where it explained the basics. The other two I passed easily. Anywho, I thought they picked people for interviews based on whether they passed the tests. So what I want to know is why I got dragged in for a 45 min interview when I didn't even have the minimum requirements. But I guess It was good experience.

So I guess I'm glad that I didn't have to chose. I've now decided what I want to do now and in the meantime my sister's boyfriend has given me a job in his store. It's low stress and decent money and hours. So after my husband and I get our own house, I've decided I'm going to start up my own Family Day Care business so I can stay home with my son. I know of a few mothers who will be going back to work next year, so I know I'll have no trouble finding business. This way I get to stay home with my son which is all I've ever wanted to do. And I don't have to wait another four years to have another baby. So hopefully things will work out.

Archived