Support Group

Dan F

Recently, I've got into this cycle of calorie counting, and it's actually driving me insane. I can tell you the calorific value of virtually any food, and I won't eat it if it's over 300. I thought the lack of eating was just down to severe exam stress, but even now they're over it's not back to normal. And, tonight, for example, I went out for a meal and ate a healthy (but didn't finish any of it) amount and I still think I've massively over-indulged. I don't even know why I'm posting this - I guess I'm just scared that it's gonna spin out of control and kinda need reassurance that I'm not going crazy, as I fear I am. :/

I know that probably makes no sense, but it's 00:10 - forgive me!

You are not going crazy, maybe you should to see a counsellor.

• 2 weeks later...
  • Replies 3.8k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

I'm kind of at a turning point. I've been offerred a position in management at McDonalds, and I really want to take it, but I have to sign a contract that binds me for 2 and a half years to them. It's the thing that I have set my sights on, but now that it's coming closer to fruition, I'm having doubts.

That's a difficult decision to make at your age, Dean. Two and a half years is a long time to be legally bound into a business. But you are young and two and a half years would take you to 18/19 years of age. At that age, you'd have good experience and it would look very good on your CV for future jobs.

But I definitely think it's a decision you have to make entirely on your own. >.<

Do you know what's holding you back? Is it just the fact that you have to stay there for the two and a half years? I don't think that's very long, it will go quickly. And if you have nothing else that you want to do, then I think you should go for it. Not many people your age can say that they've had managerial experience. It will get you far later on. And then there's the financial security that you can put towards a car or even property. Saving for a house/flat is something that you should be thinking of at your age. I had a full time job when I was 18 and I wish I had been saving for a house, but I didn't think that far a head because I didn't think I would need to.

It's your decision to make and if you're not sure about it, then you probably shouldn't do it. But I think it's too good of an opportunity to waste.

So lately I've decided I'm ready to go back to work and have been applying for jobs. In mid June I applied for a few apprenticeship with the Railway. Retail and admin are not for me as I've found them boring. And I am interested in Mechanics and stuff, so I applied for them. I got as far as the testing and that was a few weeks ago. I thought I wouldn't hear from them again, but I've been shortlisted and have an interview next week.

Now I know I haven't got the job, but my dilema is I don't know whether to take it if I do get the job. It's for four years and I have no problem committing to that. What my problem is is that I won't have time to have another baby and will have to wait until I finish it. By that time, my son will be five and I never wanted that much of an age gap between children. One of the best parts of growing up for me was having a sister only two years younger plus my other sister and brother. I don't want that for my son, I want a little brother or sister for him to grow up with and I think it will be harder for him to adjust the older he is. Plus he loves other little kids.

I'm only 22 so by the time I finish I'll be 26. It's not old but I'm scared if I put off having more children something will go wrong and I won't be able to have anymore. Or the more I keep putting it off, I won't want anymore, even though I do. And now I've started a family, I don't want to scatter it over 10-15 years. I want to do it all at once, every two - three years. If I do this apprenticeship, our family will be better off in the long run money wise, plus it will give me more qualifications. But then I think my son will be better off with a sibling and I really want another baby now. I'm torn between the two and I know either way I'll regret not doing the other. I just don't know what to do.

If I don't get the job, I know I'll be disappointed because I was feeling disappointed about not getting further and I was really excited when they called yesterday. But every single day I think about having another baby and I have never being one to put my career ahead of my family, I even quit my last job to spend more time with my son. I don't know which one I want more. I've talked to my husband and he wants me to do this so we can get our own house, but I don't think we'll be able to afford one just yet, not if we're paying heaps for child care. He says he wants more children, but he wants the house first. I just want to do what's best, but I really don't know what to do.

So I would really like other people's opinions, no matter what age. Please.

oooh, that's a tough one. The biggest worry I'd say would be you decide to have a child then resent them later on for stopping you taking the job opportunity.

I'm guessing the company wouldn't be willing for you to take time off half way through the apprenticeship?

Make a list of pros and cons. Or flip a coin and if it lands on job and you really don't like that option then have the kid.

Sorry, none of that's probably very helpful

Archived