Support Group

Dan F

Well dont worry, just eat well, it doesnt matter as long as you do excersise and eat healthy food you will be ok, maybe you are upset, thats why you feel like this. If you want any help just PM me and Im more then happy to help out. :)

• Replies 3.8k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Hi there, Congratulations on making the first of two steps.

1 Admitting to yourself that you have a problem, That is the biggest hurdle to admit to one's self you have a problem.

2 The biggest hurdle is accualie asking for help, it doen't matter how yo've done it the fact that you did is a start.

I personally suggest you need to be honest with yourself e.g why do i this. tough but to understand the way we do things is that we have to be bluntantily honest with our self.

If you have someone you feel safe to confine in then do so. but if not there are societys you can go to.

I agree with some one it's very easy to say eat healthy and so for but the problem is mental and emotioal this is what this person need's to deal with.

I don't have much to add to what everyone else has said, except that you shouldn't feel ashamed or think that people will judge you. I suffer from anxiety and panic attacks and I hid it from people close to me for years because I was scared that my friends wouldn't understand or that they'd think it was weird. In the end I was glad when I told them because it was so much easier to have things out in the open. I realised that some things, like anxiety and eating disorders, are much more common than you think. If you go to your GP he/she will be able to refer you to a counsellor or a support group and you'll see that you're not alone. Good luck. :)

I've only just seen this. I'm not sure if the person has had all the advice they need, but I thought I'd add a few words just in case they haven't.

I had some eating problems as a teenager. What I really recognise in this person's symptoms are not being able to eat in front of people, and having a tendency to stick to the same food for a long period of time. Eating disorders are usually about control, and people who have them might stick to a particular food as well as being very routine about *how* they eat that food. Like if it's a piece of toast, you might always have to cut it into quarters. So it sounds to me like they probably do have an eating disorder.

I wouldn't be sure which eating disorder they have though. Starving and then binging is usually bulimia, whereas not feeling like you can eat if usually associated with anorexia. But I think you can have elements of both. The amount of time this has been happening is important too, and whether they feel they can stop doing this. It's not specified whether they binge until they are sick, or until they make themselves sick, but either is really dangerous.

What I would say to the person is that they have to talk to someone that they feel will take them seriously. Going straight to a doctor would be a good plan, as they will be able to determine the type of help that is needed. I wouldn't recommend talking to a friend about it first unless there's no other option.

It should be someone you trust completely and who is going to behave responsibly. You can't self-diagnose, so talking to a helpline, a doctor, trusted teacher or a parent (if you have the right kind of relationship) is really important. The type of help needed will differ depending on how long you've been doing this, and what the causes are. It may have started because you think you're overweight, or it may be to do with the rest of your life feeling out of control. But either way you can get past it if you have the right support.

I hope the person will talk to somebody appropriate, and let Dan know how things are going. :)

I have been contacted by a member who would to ask for advice from you all, but wishes to remain anonymous as it's quite a sensitive subject for them....

I would be so grateful if I could have some help and advice on eating disorders/problems in adults.

This is how I have been with my food for a while:

• Do not eat for a couple of days then binge until sick.

• Eat the same food, eg mash, or toast sometimes for weeks on end.

• Do not feel like eating so have to force myself to eat.

• Cannot eat in front of anyone.

I'm Not sure where to start this is one of the hardest posts I have had to write. Di takes a deep breath in here goes. I didn't know what people would think of me or how I'd be judged thats why I asked Dan! to put the post up for me Thanks Dan!. Thank you to everyone for all the advice that everyone has given me and others who might have any kind of eating disorder/problem.

I don't have anyone apart from you guys to turn to, no family all I have is a couple of much older friends. Well there more my mother/sister in my life . As Loz put in here post, it may be to do with the rest of your life feeling out of control, Yes it is Loz!! it's also got a lot to do with my horriffic bringing up to. I feel its the only thing I can control in my life right now.

Maybe it's a point of depression showing itself in a different way.

You have mentioned that you have had other worries i.e upbringing and no strong support group. It's sometimes hard to cope with these things by yourself, even though you think you are handling it OK. You are also raising a young son solely.

A very very close friend of mine suffers from depression to the point of no return almost, but he is getting help through complimentary medicine. Starting with your GP (all on NHS) you can get help using natural remedies and is able to point you in the direction of support groups for people with similar problems. It's also completely herbal and involves massage, acupunture (voluntary) and aromatherapy techniques. Believe it or not but it's working abeit slowly. You will also be able to seek help for your eating disorder in a healthy way. Sometimes taking antidepressants does not solve the problem in the long run, because then it's just something else you become dependant upon.

I don't know if your interested and maybe I'm on the completely wrong track (if so, sorry for wasting your time) but if you are interested in this but if you wish to disuss further you can PM me for information and leaflets I have been sent before.

Hope it all works out OK!

Archived