Support Group

Dan F

None other than getting here some help. If her weight is that low it's a miracle she's still functioning at all! (Of course, one can argue that a person that underweight is functioning). What worries me is that her parents don't do anything - at least that's how it looks from your last post. I can't really help with this other than getting a parent's attention and get her psychological help. Sorry.

• Replies 3.8k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

I estimate at that weight she has a BMI or 14/15 which is dangerous and life threatening. The world health organisation says anything below 18.5 is unhealthy. I agree with Mar...how on earth is she functioning? However...we do have to take age into account..I am assuming your friend is 13/14..is this right?

It isn't disloyal...but you have to tell someone...her parents..a teacher at school...the school nurse....anyone...tell your Mum and get her to talk to her Mum...anything.....your friend may be angry at you...she may even not talk to you for a while,...but in the end she will thank you...you could be saving her life by telling someone....with a BMI that low she is risking major organ failure.

As Frankie says, it feels like your disloyal, when in fact it's the opposite. Yes, your friend will be mad and maybe even say that she hates you, but this is because she is sick and might not see the damage she is doing to herself. She will come around when she's better :)

I do...well, double depression really, but my last major depressive episode was last year. It sucks, doesn't it?

I don't really have a diagnosis yet, although I'm working up the courage to go to a doctor to get a referral for testing of a lot of stuff, including bipolar disorder, dysthymia and Asperger's.

Good luck with it. I was diagnosed when I was 15 after being depressed for 2 years. I find that drama therapy really works for me...which is basically just making the whole thing into an entertaining rant for my friends. According to my psych, that's drama therapy. I much prefer it to antidepressants - I won't take them. My sleeping tablets screw me up enough, I don't think I could function on anything else.

I usually post in here every once in a while - so often that I think people are beyond sick of my worries and problems. Oh, and, being a tortured artistic genius is not all that it's cut out to be. :P

Archived