Support Group

Dan F

When I was depressed...(a few weeks agop...still am), Mercury_Girl told me to write a list of some positives in my life, like friends, family pets ect, and when I feel depreesed, think of these. Maybe try that....But you still should see someone, I ahven't and trust me, it just gets worse. It's better to get it out, and get help. PM me if you wanna talk, and if you have MSN, I'm gonna add you, okay?

• Replies 3.8k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

When I was depressed...(a few weeks ago...still am), Mercury_Girl told me to write a list of some positives in my life, like friends, family pets ect, and when I feel depreesed, think of these. Maybe try that....But you still should see someone, I ahven't and trust me, it just gets worse. It's better to get it out, and get help. PM me if you wanna talk, and if you have MSN, I'm gonna add you, okay?

Same for you Rose.

... No offence to anyone whose feeling depressed and feels like doing what the title says, but I'm finding this a little disturbing, and this is a board for all ages...

I'm no mod or anything, but shouldn't this be moved into the have a moan thread... Or atleast have the title changed... :lol:

I have PM'd you both about this.

If you seriously feel as low as you say then speak to somebody, anybody about it.

As Tess said there are techniques that will help. This is a method I found particulary helpful:

Write a letter. Put down on paper why you think your life is so bad, what your problems are. Tell the people responsible for those problems, on paper, just why they've hurt you so much. Really pour your heart into it and then when you're done bin the letter or burn it. In writing it down you're accepting what your problems are and by binning it you're putting them where they belong, in the past and making a positive statement to yourself that things are going to change from here on in.

Next list all the people involved in your life, family, friends, people on here. Anyone who might be affected by you taking severe actions, write down exactly how they would feel if anything was to happen to you. Be honest, not self pitying and you'll probably realise that if you were to do anything drastic you'd cause far more harm than good.

Next write a list of all the good things in your life, all the positives about you, around you and that you bring to other people. Keep that list close to you, just to remind you of exactly why you're worthwhile.

Only simple things but they'll really boost your PMA and self esteem. Someone once suggested to me that every night before I go to bed I write down ten good things that happened that day. Small things like a stranger on a bus smiled at me, I got a good grade in an essay, I spoke to someone on the phone or added a new contact to instant messenger. Write them down before you go to sleep and then read them again in the morning. It's amazing what such small things will do to boost your mental attitude and make you feel more positive.

If none of that works for you then you're either not being honest with yourself, in that you really don't want your life to improve or you really don't know how and if either of these are the case then you need to see a Doctor and get help.

Hope some of that's useful.

there's things in life that you can't change but there's one thing that you can and that's your own attitude and way of thinking. Our mind is the one thing we really can control.

Archived