Support Group

Dan F

Hi Di,

I have only just seen this but wanted to add a few comments which i feel are very important. Firstly i want to agree with everyone when they say how brave you are, just taking this first step is a real achievement.

As people have said, getting help from a doctor is the first sensible step, however i know from both my own and friends experiences that it isn't always that easy. When you do speak to a doctor, and they give you ideas dont be hard on yourself if you end up doing something like making yourself sick again. You need to stay focussed, on the fact that you have asked for help, because by punshing yourslef you will make things even worse.

Treat even the smallest step as an achievement, and try to find 5 positive things about life everyday. Not only will you see the good in the world, you may also realise there are things you can do to make changes!

Liam :)

Am hoping things turn out for the better sooner rather than later!

• Replies 3.8k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

I'm not really sure how helpful this will be...

My mother's friend had/has an eating disorder. And like what you've said, Di, it was brought on by a mixture of things. Her up-bringing and her hellish life were all contributing factors. She'd been through hell, and her eating was the only thing she had any control over.

I don't think she'd be back eating again, if she didn't have my mother's support. Having that emotional support really benefited her. Telling one of your friends may really help you (after visiting the doctor), hopefully they'd be able to offer you support.

I'd just like to echo how brave you are for asking for advice here. Taking that first step of acknowledging you have a problem, is the first steps to recovery. It's a positive thing, and you should be proud.

I hope things get better soon.

I'd just like to agree with what everyone else has said and congratulate you on facing this problem and seeking help. Admitting that you have a problem and telling other people about it takes a lot of courage, you should be proud that you have made this step.

I can't really offer much advice since I have never experienced anything like this before. Just try to look after yourself, I know it must be really hard, but you have taken the first step, you have to prepare yourself to take the next step and get help from a doctor.

I hope you get better soon, take care :)

Di, I agree with everyone that you're really brave to tell us that Dan was asking on your behalf. :)

You say that eating is the only thing in your life you think you can control right now. That's how a lot of people with anorexia or bulimia feel, and it's perfectly understandable.

As someone who's been in a similar position, I would suggest thinking of it like this... By not eating, or by binging, you are actually letting your problems / depression control *you*. It's actually by seeking help that you will regain control. And you've taken the first step there by asking for people's advice - you have already started to take back control. Good on you!

By talking to a doctor and asking for actual concrete help - they can advice you about free counselling for your other problems - you can ensure that you don't let circumstances control you any more than they need to. It's not by not eating that you'll stay in control, it's by getting yourself the support you need to deal with your problems.

Good luck Di. You're a strong person and you can deal with this. You just need some support. You'll get there. :)

Yes, it was very hard to come on here and admit it was me who had the eating problem. It was also very nice of Dan to help me, he is a good friend and listens to me moaning about my life Thanks Dan!. I know it will take a while and I will Probably have some ups and downs along the way. I hope I will get back to as near normal me one day. I will call Helen who is my community mental health nurse; she will probably be able to help me as well.

Thank you everyone who has given me advice and wished me luck. It means so much to me thank you

Di :) xx

Yes, it was very hard to come on here and admit it was me who had the eating problem. It was also very nice of Dan to help me, he is a good friend and listens to me moaning about my life Thanks Dan!. I know it will take a while and I will Probably have some ups and downs along the way. I hope I will get back to as near normal me one day. I will call Helen who is my community mental health nurse; she will probably be able to help me as well.

Thank you everyone who has given me advice and wished me luck. It means so much to me thank you

Di :) xx

Di, I can't offer any advice either as I never had any eating problems, I'm just one of those ppl who eat because I have to, the only food I really love is fruit!

I know we don't know each other, but you seem such a nice, genuine person and I worry about you. May it help you to know that so many ppl on this site are wishing you well. :)

*hugs* Di. I'm sorry you're going through such a bad time....as many people have said, I can't give you much better advice than what you've already got, but I think you're very very brave to admit your problem, and I'm sure you'll get over this really soon. Just remeber you're one of the most loved people on this place and...get well soon, k? :)

Archived