Music another string

Guest Andy

Music another string

The Newcastle Herald

7 December 2006

ALTHOUGH a NIDA acting graduate, it's the music of Sarah Aubrey that has landed her on Australian soaps.

A former Newcastle University student and CONDA winner, Aubrey has put her studies at Australia's most prestigious drama school to good use.

By day, she voices children's TV shows, station promos and commercials. By night, she emerges as one of the country's brightest female acoustic folk-pop figures playing with her band the Audio Visual Club.

Tracks from her debut EP have been used on TV promotions for Home and Away, All Saints and The L-Word.

"I have a cool job, I do know this," she says.

Aubrey began high school studies in Newcastle after arriving at the age of 10 with her family from Wales. After a detour to Taree, she returned for university.

Most of her family still live in the Hunter, including her parents, an older sister who teaches French and a cellist brother who plays in her band and studies at the Newcastle Conservatorium. Her younger sister Beth is also at NIDA in Sydney.

When she plays Newcastle on Saturday night it will be the first time Sarah's parents have seen her perform as a musician.

She believes her career has struck a perfect balance.

British cop drama The Bill inspired her in a roundabout way to act.

"I wanted to be a police officer like the people on The Bill between the ages of seven and 17," she says. "But then I realised I wanted to be on The Bill."

"Music reminds me a lot of acting," Aubrey says. "You get this lovely feeling of connecting with an audience, making them feel something and getting that feeling yourself in return."

As a livewire Aubrey slips from a killer Welsh drawl to her Kleenex puppy voice, it's clear her shows aren't all navel-gazing and sweet, idiosyncratic laments.

"My band are a complete bunch of geeks, that's why they're called the Audio Visual Club," she says. "But there's plenty of banter, you'll find the audience has to tell me to shut up and play another song."

Sarah Aubrey and the Audio Visual Club, Saturday, Northern Star Hotel, 9pm, free.

Music another string

The Newcastle Herald

7 December 2006

ALTHOUGH a NIDA acting graduate, it's the music of Sarah Aubrey that has landed her on Australian soaps.

A former Newcastle University student and CONDA winner, Aubrey has put her studies at Australia's most prestigious drama school to good use.

By day, she voices children's TV shows, station promos and commercials. By night, she emerges as one of the country's brightest female acoustic folk-pop figures playing with her band the Audio Visual Club.

Tracks from her debut EP have been used on TV promotions for Home and Away, All Saints and The L-Word.

"I have a cool job, I do know this," she says.

Aubrey began high school studies in Newcastle after arriving at the age of 10 with her family from Wales. After a detour to Taree, she returned for university.

Most of her family still live in the Hunter, including her parents, an older sister who teaches French and a cellist brother who plays in her band and studies at the Newcastle Conservatorium. Her younger sister Beth is also at NIDA in Sydney.

When she plays Newcastle on Saturday night it will be the first time Sarah's parents have seen her perform as a musician.

She believes her career has struck a perfect balance.

British cop drama The Bill inspired her in a roundabout way to act.

"I wanted to be a police officer like the people on The Bill between the ages of seven and 17," she says. "But then I realised I wanted to be on The Bill."

"Music reminds me a lot of acting," Aubrey says. "You get this lovely feeling of connecting with an audience, making them feel something and getting that feeling yourself in return."

As a livewire Aubrey slips from a killer Welsh drawl to her Kleenex puppy voice, it's clear her shows aren't all navel-gazing and sweet, idiosyncratic laments.

"My band are a complete bunch of geeks, that's why they're called the Audio Visual Club," she says. "But there's plenty of banter, you'll find the audience has to tell me to shut up and play another song."

Sarah Aubrey and the Audio Visual Club, Saturday, Northern Star Hotel, 9pm, free.

interesting.

Archived