Christmas Is Here!

Guest ~Rosey~

• Replies 67
  • Created
  • Last Reply
  • 3 weeks later...

Chapter 5

- 2 weeks later -

The day of the funeral had arrived. The day everyone was bidding farewell to Henry Hunter. He had died from cancer, at such a young age. His family were shocked when he first told them.

He had lived until just about 2 weeks after Christmas, which was good. He had lived to see the New Year. He had died, on the 2nd of January, sleeping in Matilda’s arms.

Matilda was taking this really hard. She had just lost her twin brother, the boy she had spent almost her whole life with. She was angry at her mother for making Henry go to a boarding school for 2 years, but she was thankful that he came back and told them all just in time.

Everyone was gathered outside the church, waiting for the doors to be open. Inside were the hunter family trying to organise everything at last minute.

A few minutes later the doors opened. Everyone finally got seated at the service begun.

Robbie walked up to the alter and started reading out the eulogy.

This went on for a while. During the speech, there were some funny, yet sad things said about dear Henry.

Spend all your time waiting for that second chance

For the break that will make it ok

There's always some reason to feel not good enough?

And it's hard at the end of the day

I need some distraction, oh beautiful release

Memories seep from my veins

They may be empty and weightless, and maybe

I'll find some peace tonight

Matilda got up and read a passage from the bible. She got halfway through and stopped. She couldn’t do it. It took her a few minutes, but she got herself together and quietly spoke the rest of it. She walked down to the coffin and placed a rose on top. Then bowed to the alter and walked slowly back to her seat where Tony comforted her.

In the arms of an Angel, fly away from here

From this dark, cold hotel room, and the endlessness that you fear

You are pulled from the wreckage of your silent reverie

You're in the arms of an Angel; may you find some comfort here

The priest said a few prayers, there was another reading and the service was almost over. The family were the first to walk out of the church, followed by the coffin, followed by everyone else. Practically everyone in Summer Bay had come to this funeral, except for Rachel, who was working. But she didn’t seem to mind. She had never met Henry. And anyway, they were short staffed at the hospital. There was nothing they could do.

One by one, everyone got into their cars and slowly drove off to the cemetery. They arrived there before the minister did, so all they could do, was wait.

The minister arrived, and said a few words; and prayed. There were a few minutes of silence, and then the coffin was lowered.

So tired of the straight line, and everywhere you turn

There's vultures and thieves at your back

The storm keeps on twisting, you keep on building the lies

That you make up for all that you lack

It don't make no difference, escaping one last time

It's easier to believe

In this sweet madness, oh this glorious sadness

That brings me to my knees

It was lowered more and more until it hit bottom. The minister left, as he had another funeral to attend. Everyone else stayed back, just for abit.

In the arms of an Angel, far away from here

From this dark, cold hotel room, and the endlessness that you fear

You are pulled from the wreckage of your silent reverie

In the arms of an Angel; may you find some comfort here

Gradually, everyone started leaving. Now all that was left was Matilda, Beth, Robbie, Lucas, Tony, Kit, Scott and Hayley. Scott and Hayley had come down from France just for that day, and were staying there for 3 weeks.

-------------------

Sorry this isn’t a long chapter, but its 1:20 am and my brain is half dead!

I'll update soon!

xxxx

Archived