Always Comes Back To You…

Guest Danifan

• Replies 97
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Glad you like in tamminmad (good name) :)

Chapter 7

I’d managed to avoid bumping into Will and her all weekend. It was quite an achievement in this little town. Unfortunately I hadn’t had the sense to avoid Colleen who filled me in on their plans to return to Queensland that evening. I pretended to be pleased for them and painted on the fakest smile I could muster while inside my heart was breaking and I had a very big urge to punch someone. It was times like this I missed having Brodie about. I could hardly talk to Hayley about any of this; Mom would have just fussed or, even worse, stuck up for that cow. Jade’s views were a little too innocent for them to have been any help whatsoever and as for Kirsty, well put it this way, if she can avoid her then boyfriend because his dad died and she doesn’t want to be depressed then what help she’d be to me is anyone’s guess. Anyway Mom and Dad were throwing a belated anniversary party the same night so I had that to take my mind of the love of my life leaving town and me behind-again. To everyone’s surprise, even my own to be honest; I volunteered to help Dad set up the Surf Club for the party. It was a surprise as before all this I’d rather have chewed off my own arm and have someone beat me to death with it than help out.

“So why the sudden change of heart?” Dad asked in the suspicious tone I had become accustomed too since I had become a teenager.

“Can’t a daughter just help out her favourite father” I told him.

“Yes and very appreciated it is too. You are fast becoming my favourite daughter” Dad laughed “Just don’t tell the twins” he said giving me a little wink.

I laughed with him. It was nice. The first genuine smile I’d had since Gypsy had come back.

“It’s nice to see you smile again” Dad said. “We were worried about you. I just can’t believe he’s hurt you again” Dad said with a bit more aggression in his voice.

“Dad, he hasn’t… This is all down to Gypsy” I said

“Yeah, well I don’t normally condone violence against women but I wish Irene had punched her a few more times”

I laughed. I’d forgotten how good dad was in a crisis and what a daddy’s girl I was at heart.

“Thanks dad” I leaned in and gave him a big hug.

“Anytime sweetheart” he said giving me a little kiss on the head. “We’d better get finished off or your mother may punch me quite a few times as well.

The time flew by. I kept looking at my watch throughout the night. I kept thinking that at ten o’clock Will would have left my life again and that again was going to be crushed and alone. The party was in full swing. Everyone came, even Jude and Shauna who weren’t exactly popular after his treatment of Charlotte. As the party was winding down and the speeches were done the next surprise arrived in the form of Will and Gypsy. The room went silent. I felt like I was on show at the Zoo or something so made my excuses to go and get the cake. Kirsty and Jade followed.

“What the hell is she doing here the evil little...?” Kirsty said

“Kirsty just leave it and help me with the cake will you?” I snapped before she could finish that sentence.

“Dani’s right. This is Mom and Dad’s night, let’s not let her ruin it” Jade said

“Fine but if she says anything I swear I will deck her” Kirsty said

“You and me both” I said

We entered the Surf club. I could see out of the corner of my eye Will and Gypsy still standing near the door way and still receiving icy glances. She looked as smug as ever dressed in a black dress that looked like something a cat might sick up or something.

After blowing out the candles I had a sudden rush of confidence. I marched right up to them.

“What do you want?” I said gruffly hoping they’d get the message and leave. “Because whatever it is you aren’t going to ruin this party for my Mom and Dad”

“We’ve come to wish Rhys and Shelley happy anniversary and say our goodbyes to family and friends”. Gypsy announced clutching Will’s hand for dear life.

“That should be quick then in your case Gypsy as you don’t have any of either around here anymore” I said, I just couldn’t help myself.

Will didn’t smile once. As Hayley, Nick, Noah, Irene, Sally and Flynn said their goodbyes I couldn’t take my eyes off him. I caught him staring at me a few times but it just got too much and I went and busied myself with helping with some tidying up. I went out the back to put some rubbish out. I paused as I felt someone watching me. Will was standing in the door way and made his way over to me.

“Shouldn’t you be going” I said trying to avoid eye contact.

“Yeah Gypsy’s just checking on Lily in the car” he said.

“Well I hope it all goes well and that you and Gypsy, you know sort things out properly” I said awkwardly not really sure what to say to him.

Will went silent. I could see in his big, puppy dog eyes that this was as hard for him as it was for me but I had to remain strong, after all I was the one being left behind, not him.

“Thanks” he said

“Will come on Lily’s getting grisly and mommy can’t deal with her, not with these nails” I heard being screeched from the front of the surf club.

“You’d better go” I said and kissed him on the cheek “I hope you’ll be happy” I said looking into his eyes.

Will grabbed my hand.

“Ask me to stay and I will” he said

I paused. In that moment I was sorely tempted but over the cold wall of the building I heard Lily start to cry.

“I can’t” I said the tears harder to hold back. “Bye Will”

Will looked at me then softly took my hand and gently kissed it.

“Bye Dani. I’ll miss you” He said slowly turning around and walking back to his old life.

I could hear people waving them off as I sat outside alone in the cold sat on a crate of beer and I sobbed. Mom came out and held me but it was too late. My heart was in pieces again and Will had gone.

Chapter 8

My love life was a mess-that was a fact. It had been just over a week since Will had gone back to his miserable, unsatisfying life with his skanky wife and her daughter and left me with my miserable, unsatisfying life in the Bay. After a few days of moping in self pity (what else is there to do when you’ve been trampled over by the love of your life?) I decided to move on. Not literally as to do that you needed money, but I decided I was going to enjoy my life again. Since everything that happened with Will, Gypsy and Kane I’d become a shadow of my former self. I was no longer: Dani Sutherland-Fighter I was: Dani Sutherland-victim. I wasn’t that feisty little princess that arrived in the Bay three years earlier and could cut someone down to size with one cutting comment. I was pitied by the whole town as some tragic victim and that was not the image I wanted. From this day on, I thought, no one and nothing is going to stop me becoming a success. I decided to kick start my career. I was a 21st century woman; I didn’t need a man to make me happy. I sent out CVs to all the newspaper companies I could think of, even one in London which I saw on the interenet practically begging to be given a chance as an apprentice journalist. I was determined. I wanted to be a voice for the people (well either that or a celebrity gossip columnist, hanging out in Hollywood with the likes of Brad Pitt and George Clooney). Funnily enough this strong stance went right out of the window when yet another bombshell was dropped smack bang in the middle of my life.

To be honest the day started of quite strange. After skipping my final lecture at college I returned home to an empty house. We had 3 new messages on our answer machine. When they were played all three went silent then hung up. For a split second I got my hopes up that it may have been Will trying to get back in touch. I knew in my heart it probably wasn’t, but it was a nice fantasy.

I was snapped out of my day dreaming by Max, Kirsty and Jade arriving home from school.

‘What’s wrong with you’ I asked Kirsty as she walked into the kitchen with miserable face.

‘Nothing Mr Burnett leaving wouldn’t solve’ she replied sarcastically.

‘Kirsty got caught skipping school’ Jade chipped in

‘Jade!’ Kirsty was obviously annoyed

‘What, you were hardly going to be able to keep it secret, Colleen caught you’ Jade reasoned, knowing full well she owned this particular argument.

‘She is such a nosey old cow, like it had anything to do with her. She should get a life, at least that way she’d be less interested in everyone else’s’ Kirsty ranted as she stormed off upstairs to get changed.

‘So why did she skip school then?’ I asked Jade.

‘How should I know, I’m just her twin sister, only useful when Kirsty needs someone to cover for her’ Jade said obviously annoyed by Kirsty’s behaviour of late.

She had been very secretive and withdrawn lately. I put it down to being dumped by Seb. Speaking of which I never did find out why he dumped her, but ever since Kirsty had become a real pain in the neck. The reason for her strange behaviour was about to become clear. When Max and Jade went upstairs to get changed out of their school uniform someone’s phone kept beeping. I assumed it was Jade’s phone, after all her and Nick were inseparable most of the time. I picked up the phone to answer it.

‘Kirst, it’s me babe, can’t wait to see you again, today was great…Kirsty... are you still there?’ the voice said

My blood ran cold. How could she? Again.

‘Kane?’ I muttered trembling with fear just at the sound of his voice

‘Dani’ he said quite startled

I hung up immediately

‘Was that someone’s phone?’ Jade said as she entered the room with Kirsty.

‘Yeah it was’ I said staring directly at Kirsty ‘It was yours actually Kirst. It was your boyfriend’

She knew exactly who I’d just spoken too.

‘Dani, I’m sorry...’ she whimpered like I’d just kicked her or something.

‘What boyfriend?’ Jade asked still in the dark about her twins little rendezvous’ with the local rapist.

‘Are you going to tell her or shall I?’ I said, I was so angry that my own flesh and blood could hurt me like this for a second time.

Kirsty went silent and couldn’t look either of us in the eye.

‘Well our dear sister is seeing Kane again’ I said. Jade looked almost as disgusted as I felt at that moment. ‘You remember Kane don’t you? About this tall, used to live around here, you know raped me.’ I said exploding with rage, frustration and betrayal.

I handed her the mobile.

‘He sends his love’ I said sarcastically before walking right past her and calmly up to my room where I locked the door and I burst into tears.

Not only had the love of my life gone back to someone he didn’t love, my sister had betrayed me and the one person I hated most in the world was back again. So much for moving on.

Chapter 9

As I sat in my room alone I could hear clearly the argument raging downstairs between Kirsty, Jade and Max.

‘How could you do this again Kirsty? What’s wrong with you?’ Jade shouted.

‘You don’t understand, none of you do’ Kirsty said

‘What’s to understand, he raped our sister and you think you’re in some Shakespearean love story where everything will work out fine in the end’

‘It’s twisted’ Max said

‘Shut up Max, what would you know about being in love, your just a kid’ Kirsty said obviously frustrated her.

‘About as much as you know about loyalty and selflessness’ Max shouted back. He was obviously hurt that Kirsty had forgotten about Eloise, the love of Max’s life, dying of Leukaemia.

‘What’s all the shouting about, Colleen can here you in her mobile home’ Dad said as he and Mom must have arrived home from doing the shopping in Yabbie Creek.

‘It’s nothing...’ Kirsty said

‘Stop lying Kirsty, it’s not like your going to get away with it’ Max said

‘Shut up you little pain’ Kirsty was getting angry again.

‘Kirsty they need to know’ Jade said encouragingly.

‘Need to know what sweetheart, is everything ok?’ Mom asked obviously getting worried.

‘It’s just that… Well… I … got caught skipping school today that’s all’ Kirsty chickened out of telling the truth. To be honest I wasn’t surprised. Lying was always a speciality of Kirsty’s.

‘Why are you skipping school? And why the hell are you being so flippant about getting caught’ Dad asked obviously annoyed.

‘Well… the truth is …it was double maths and I just can’t get the hang of it, I feel so stupid sometimes and…’

‘Kirsty!’ Jade shouted

‘What?’

‘I can’t believe you; even now you have no choice you still try to get out of it’

‘Jade…’ Kirsty knew she’d pushed Jade’s patience to the limit today.

‘The reason Kirsty was skipping school today was to spend time with her boyfriend’ Jade announced.

‘I thought you and Seb had finished?’ Mom asked

‘We have’ Kirsty said

‘Then who were you meeting?’ Mom asked but I had the feeling she’d already guessed for herself. There was a long pause before Kirsty blurted out the answer.

‘Kane, but it’s alright he loves me and he’s really changed and Dani…’

‘ Please tell me this is not happening again’ Dad shouted

‘I’m sorry’ Kirsty whimpered.

‘Sorry for what Kirsty, seeing him, getting caught or everything just not going your way?’ the anger in Dad’s voice was reaching its peak.

‘Where is Dani?’ Mom asked obviously worried sick.

‘She’s upstairs in her room, she won’t come out’ Max told them.

‘What?’ Mom said ‘I have to go and see her, Rhys you wait here and whatever you do try to stay calm’.

I could hear her coming slowly up the stairs. She knocked tentatively on the door. As much as I appreciated the support of my family, just the thought of being around anyone made me feel sick.

‘Dani, it’s me can you open the door’ she said

I couldn’t answer her. I wanted to be alone, but at the same time I wanted a big comforting hug from someone who loved me unconditionally. I paused before the door. In the end my desire to be alone to think things through was just too strong.

‘OK sweetheart, I understand. Just call us if you want anything’ she said. She waited outside for a few minutes more before going back downstairs. I couldn’t help but cry. I felt violated all over again. Like I’d been raped for a second time, except this time most of my anger was aimed at someone I loved most in the world.

That night as I lay in the dark alone I thought of Will and what a tower of strength he had been to me when it first happened. He was my knight in shining armour.

I reached for my mobile and scrolled down to his name then before I’d really thought about it I rang his number.

‘Hello’ I heard him whisper. I’d forgotten how late it was

The sound of his voice was enough to give me a little smile.

‘Dani? Is that you?’ he said

I panicked. As much as I wanted to hear his voice I knew it was a mistake to ring him.

‘Dani, please say something…’

‘Erm… sorry... this was a mistake… sorry…’ I spluttered

‘Dani wait, please don’t hang up…’

I hung up. Not only was it a bad idea to ring him it just made me feel worse not better. Now, my rapist was back, the love of my life wasn’t, my sister had betrayed me and now I’d made a fool of myself. I just hoped tomorrow would bring me some answers as at this point I was lost.

Archived