• 3 weeks later...
  • Replies 38
  • Created
  • Last Reply
  • 4 weeks later...
  • 8 months later...
  • 4 months later...
  • 8 months later...

Hey guys sorry I haven't updated in a while, kinda forgot about it after a while. Anyway I've decided to finish it if enough people want me too.

Chapter number 4. The dates don’t add up

“Tasha love” Beth called out as she followed a very distressed Tash along the beach. “Tash, please, just talk to me sweet heart”.

“It’s just getting so hard” Tash sobbed, dropping her shoes on the sand and plonking herself down.

“Look I know Robbie works long hours, but-“

“It’s not about Robbie… Well not completely”.

“Then what is it love” Beth asked, sitting her-self down next to Tash. “You can tell me”.

“Martha, it more and more like her mother every day” she started, “and …”

“Ohh, Tash” Beth stopped her, wrapping her arms around her, “how long have you been worried about this?”

“I guess I’ve always been deep down” she stopped and paused for a minute. “It’s just… lately, she’s started asking me and Rob why she’s not better at math’s, or why she looks different, I know she’d probably never ask if we were really her parents or not, I just… I love her so much, and all this has been is a lie from the beginning”. And it was true, from day one there had never been any mention of Martha being adopted, infact aside from her and Robbie, there were only five other people in the world that knew the truth. “I mean, how am I meant to live with that”.

“Just the same way you have for the last fourteen years love. You Robbie and Martha, you’re a family, and even if it doesn’t feel like it right now, that’s the only thing that should really matter”.

-*-*-*-*-*-*-*-*-*-*-*-*-*-*-*-*-*-*-*-*-*-*-*-*-*-*-*-*-*-*-*-*-*-*-*-*-*-*-*-*-*-*-*-*-*-*-*-*

“Ok everybody off the bus” Mr Jones instructed once they arrived at the local gravesite. “You’ll have an hour to find a grave and use the information on the grave stone to link that person with atleast two other grave stones”.

“Great” Emma mattered to Martha, “why couldn’t he just make us draw up our own family tree?”

“Any family links, extra points if you can find more than two”, he told them handing worksheets to each student as they walked off the bus.

“Because he’s weird”, Martha answered, “Anyway lets just get this over with so we can get out of here”.

“Sounds like the best idea I’ve heard all day. Hey anyway what was with Sam this morning, he was totally trying to hit on you” Emma giggled, trying to change the subject.

“I have no idea, but it was weird, what is with him anyway?” Martha complained. Sam Brown wasn’t the most popular boy in school, but he wasn’t exactly the kind of guy you’d classify as a nerd either. He was smart, kind of cute, and had had a major crush on Martha since primary school.

“Oh come on, he’s hot for you, and I know you like him too”

“Do not!” Martha protested.

“You can lie as much as you like, But I know you do” Emma told her, “Anyway why wouldn’t you be into him, he’s kind of cute, and he’s not some jerk like half of the other guys in our grade”.

“True-“.

“Ladies” Mr Jones interrupted them, “Get a move on, we’ve only got a hour before I have to get you all back to school, so stop gossiping and get to work”.

“Yes sir” they both responded.

“Actually Emma you can go to that end” he instructed pointing up to the far end of the grave yard, “And Martha you can go to this end”.

“Oh but sir-“

“No buts, It’s my job to make sure you both get some work done for this assignment, and separating you is the best way of making sure that happens, now go”.

Giving in Emma and Martha separated to get some work done. As Martha went along she read each name on the grave stone and their date of their death, hoping to get one that hadn’t died all that long ago, everybody in summer bay knew each other, so her plan of attach was to make this assignment as easy as possible, if she found somebody she knew enough about to then find two other people who were related to them then she’d be done in fifteen minutes. As she read the dates she noticed that they were all from the year 2006, the year she was born, so turning around she began heading to the next row of grave stones, but then something caught her eye:

Martha McKenzie

Died on the 29th of August 2006

Expectant mother

Loving Fiancé, and friend

“That’s my birthday” Martha whispered to herself, looking puzzled for a minute and the brushing it off, then she looked at the grave next to it:

Jack Holden

Died on the 5th of September 2006

Loving son and firiend.

Now rests in peace with his fiancé Martha McKenzie.

She recognized that name, her Grandfather Tony used to tell her about Jack, and how he died before she was born…

Only, this said that he died a week after she was born.

She remembered seeing pictures of him in the photo albums at her grandfather’s place, and her Uncle Luke’s, he was with this girl who was in the picture she found in her mum’s dresser.

“Hey” Emma whispered from behind her.

“She was my mum’s friend…” Martha murmered to herself.

“What?”

“Oh sorry just talking to myself” Martha apologized, snapping out of her daydream. “You finished already?”

“Yeah, heaps of my family are buried here, done in two minutes” she brussed it off, “anyway, isn’t that your birthday?”

“Yeah” Martha began to think again. “Mum always said that she died before I was born”.

“That’s weird”

“Yeah”

“What happened to the baby?”

“Don’t know. Mum never said anything about a baby”.

“So that was her fiancé then?” Emma asked pointing to Jack’s grave next to Martha’s.

“Yeah, he was my Uncle” Martha explained, still off in a daze.

“Wow it’s a small town... So now you only have to find one more”.

“What?” Martha asked.

“The assignment!”

“Oh right” she answered remembering why they were there, “the assignment”.

“Martha are you ok?”

Martha thought for a minute, it all didn’t add up. “Yeah I’m fine” she brushed it off, she probably just heard wrong, “Anyway I think Jack’s Mum is buried up there somewhere” her Grandfather had brought her to see Katie’s grave when she was a kid, she’d be able to find it before they left. “So then I’ll be finished”.

Archived