Icons Inspiration #2

Guest ~Amy~

• Replies 21
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Right well there have only been two entries but ah well...

Entry #1 inspired by moragavatar.jpg

-

Before It All Began

He had me pinned down onto the moist grass, tickling my sides until I couldn't laugh anymore. I reached up and grabbed his shoulders, gently pulling him down next to me. I looked forward, into his deep blue eyes, and felt the most overwhelming sense of contentment. This was how I wanted to spend the rest of my life, lying in his arms and watching the world go by, I was sure of that. Of course I knew that things wouldn't stay the same forever, I wasn't that naïve, but I never thought that the unthinkable would come true. At that moment in time, everything seemed perfect. I pulled him closer to me, wrapping his strong arms around me, and looked up into his gorgeous blue eyes. They gave me everything I'd ever been looking for, love, security and even a bit of surprise. They were so warm and genuine, it almost felt like they were smiling back at you, welcoming you into his soul. And maybe that sounds stupid, maybe all of that sounds stupid, but it was how I felt. And the day that my Man died, the day that I got that piece of paper home, was the day my heart lost any life it might have had. I gave my heart to James, every piece of love I could find, and the day he died so did I. Now I am alone…

Surprise, Surprise!

"Right, now close your eyes" He commanded "And don't open them 'till I say so." His face was glowing with anticipation and I could sense the excitement in his voice.

"No. Not until you tell where we're going…" I folded my arms across my chest and kept my eyes firmly pinned open, with no intention of shutting them. But then next thing I knew the world was plunged into darkness and James's fingers were clamped across my face, blocking out all and any daylight that came my way. He giggled softly to himself before gently pushing forward, forcing me to move with him. I pulled at his fingers, trying to push them away from me, but they wouldn't budge.

"James, you move you're hand right this minute." I told him, desperately trying to keep my face straight.

"Hmm…" He pretended to ponder for a minute, making it perfectly clear what he was going to say. "Nah, I think you can stay like this for a little while longer don't you?"

I opened my mouth to protest but then closed it again. What was the point? He wasn't going to back down, I was sure of that, so I might as well let him have his fun and see what there was to gain out of it. I let my arms flop down by my side, rather reluctantly, and shuffled forward being gently guided by him.

The Big Question

"Okay, open them….now!" he told me enthusiastically. He thrust his hands away from my eyes and I opened them up, the bright sunlight stinging my pupils. I watched in wonder as James slowly stepped forward, his familiar cheeky grin plastered across his face, and put his hand towards mine. I reached out and placed my hand inside his, happily letting his warm palms embrace my cold finger tips. A small smile crept onto my face as I felt him pull me forward, leading me around the corner of a grassy verge. My eyes opened wide with shock as I saw what was before me, soft white sand stretching out as far as the eye could see and the crystal blue ocean lapping at the shore. Then in the middle of the tropical paradise was a tiny white table with two matching chairs surrounding it, nobody else around except for us. James let go of my hand and moved in front of me, looking down at my face. His fingers gently brushed my cheek and he leaned in, placing his soft, tender lips onto mine. The kiss deepened his arms moved down from my face and he wrapped them around my waist, pulling me close into his warm chest. Eventually he broke free and smiled sweetly at me, moving backwards to indicate that he wanted me to remove my head from his chest. He began to walk over the table in the middle of the beach and I followed, still stunned from the magic of his kiss. Fireworks had shot through my body and my head had spun faster than the world itself, and I could still feel it now. The rest of the evening was just as incredible. We ate together, danced together and watched the sun go down together. We spent most of it in silence, just taking in the beautiful surroundings, which is why I don't think he set out to ask me. We both lay down on the soft sand next to the table and looked out over the sea, watching as the sun sank below, leaving the sky behind every shade of red. He played with a tiny lock of my fiery red hair, bouncing it up and down next to my skin, and opened his mouth. At first I thought he was going to yawn but instead words starting coming out, billowing out of his mouth like smoke from a fire. I didn't know how to stop him, how to slow him down so that I could understand, so I simply shoved my finger onto his lips. He was silenced instantly.

"I can't understand you James" I laughed "Try a bit slower?"

"I, I love you" He told me. "And I think the times come to show you, j, just come much I really do. So please, please do me the great honour of becoming my w, wife?" He was actually shaking, no wonder he kept tripping up and stammering over the words. I blinked for a minute, just making sure it was all real. I hoped to God it wasn't a dream, I wasn't going to wake up and be at home, in bed. I didn't. My heart was beating faster than ever before and screamed YES at me, almost forcing the word out of my mouth. But then my head was saying something different. My head was saying no. I loved him so much, more than I ever thought possible, and of course I wanted to become his wife. But what if it was to soon, what if things went wrong because we rushed things? I knew I'd never forgive myself if that happened. Tears burnt behind my eyelids and threatened to fall at any minute so I knew I had to make it fast.

"I love you too. But I don't know. I'll….I'll think about it James."

And with that I was gone, up off the beach and racing towards the grass bank, my dress flying with the wind.

Too Late…

Six days later a letter came in the post, stating the death of a young soldier.

Surname: Woods

Forename/Christian Name: James

DOB: February 4th, 1920

DOD: November 24th, 1939

Nature of Death: Died in battle.

Name and Address of Spouse: N/A

I sat and sobbed as my heart was wrenched from my body and thrown away into nothingness, leaving me in absolute pain and hopeless despair. The only thing left that reminded me of him was the big, beautiful wedding dress that lay out across my dressing table, just waiting him to come home and see.

Now he's gone, I'm in pain forever. Now he's gone, I'm empty forever. Now he's gone, I'm alone forever…

Entry #2 inspired by cassieav.png

-

I looked over at him in sheer disbelief. This couldn’t be happening. Not to him. After everything that had happened in my life, I was finally happy, with a family that loved me and would never hurt me. Why was this happening?

“Are you sure?” I asked, struggling to keep the tears from falling down my cheeks, I didn’t want to cry in front of him. Not now. I stared down at the ground and let out a little sob. Finally gravity took its course and I could see a solitary tear fall onto the tip of my shoe. It seemed to echo, louder than anything I’d ever heard, until my racing heartbeat drowned it out. I screwed up my face with absolute desperation, please let me be strong. But it was too late, I could feel his eyes on the back of my neck, and I could hear him approaching.

He cupped my cheeks, now wet and stained with my tears, in his hands and lifted my face until our eyes met. I choked back the urge to break down in his arms, but couldn’t stop my lip from quivering, hard as I tried.

“Cass, it’s going to be okay” he soothed me with his words, making me believe for a second that it really would. That he would come through the other side of this, we all would. My body reacted before my mind had a chance to and my legs gave way. I collapsed onto the floor, his hands still holding on to me and cried.

After a few seconds, I pulled away from his grip fiercely, and let my head fall into my hands. He kneeled down beside me, waiting. But I wasn’t ready yet. He sat with me though, as I cried, I wanted more than anything to keep him there forever in that moment, but I also wanted to run. And scream. And hide.

“Cassie, please, I know his is hard to take in but …” his voice trailed off and he sighed heavily. I looked at him, turning my head to see through the gaps between my fingers. He laughed and pulled me close to him, and I held on tight, knowing that soon he would be gone. How could he do this to us? As I grasped handfuls of his shirt in my hands, I opened my eyes to see the photo of us sitting on the mantelpiece. My favourite photo. The one that Ric and I were roped into by Sally one day after school, she practically begged us to pose for that photo. Before that was taken I hadn’t really felt like part of the family, not like Ric had.

Sitting there on the floor, listening to Flynn’s deep breathing, I realised that I was envious of Ric. He’d had so much time with Flynn, they had such a great bond. Ric called him ‘Dad’ all the time, when Flynn wasn’t around. An involuntary giggle erupted from my lips at that moment, I was thinking of the time Ric had told me of Flynn’s reaction when I stole his clothes.

Flynn pulled away slightly and smiled, “What are you laughing at?” I looked at his face and tried to picture him on that day. Happy with nothing to worry about. Unlike now. “You know Cassie, I love you. You do know that, don’t you? Without you and Ric this house would be a lot quieter”

Oh My God. I am so selfish. Tears began to fall down my cheeks again. I clenched my fists and pulled them up to my face. How on Earth could I be so stupid. I rocked back and forth and saw Flynn’s face contort with worry. Did Ric know? I hate myself. I worked myself up into hysterics and felt like the whole world was watching.

“Hey Cassie! Cass!” he tried to hold onto me and calm me down, but my head was full of blurred images, spinning round and round. What about Ric and Sally? My cries were becoming more desperate now, I felt like screaming, my head was so full. Pippa would never get to see her Dad, she would probably be too young to remember. I could hear noise coming out of my mouth, but I just couldn’t stop.

Then everything was silent, and I thought maybe I’d blacked out. A few moments passed, and I opened my eyes to see the room as it normally was, as if nothing had changed. But it had. The sound of something dropping to the floor exploded and pulled me back into the real world. Sally and Ric were standing in the doorway, and Sally had her arms outstretched, obviously she was holding the groceries that were now spilled all over the floor. I realised I was still sitting down, cradled in Flynn’s arms, with tears still cascading down my cheeks.

“Cassie?”

-

Archived