Michael Beckley

Guest Eli

• 6 months later...
  • Replies 21
  • Created
  • Last Reply

While searching for a Rhys Wakefield thread, I noticed this one.

While I did like Rhys, he was probably my second least favourite Sutherland. I think I kind of went off his character when he married Beth. :angry: Though he did make up for that when he went back to Shelley. Anyways, while watching some of the 2000 episodes I realised how great a character Rhys was. I really liked the conflict between Rhys and Alf and how they later resolved it. As it not only shown what a great actor Michael was, but what a good, family man he was. I wish we heard more about the Sutherlands past.

They could have explored his past with his parents, as i randomly remeber someone briefly say they were dead and that's all that was ever said about them. It would have given him a storyline that didn't involve him acquiring another child (he came with 3 and left with hundreds). :lol:

I loved Rhys and Dani's father/daughter relationship mainly because i loved both characters but it just seemed really realistic. My only disappoint was the way he left the Bay so quickly only saying goodbye to Kirsty (who else, it's not like she was overused or anything :rolleyes: ) and there was no final goodbye scene between Rhys and Dani as they always seemed the closest. I also hated Kane thinking he could now take the moral high ground, like cheating on your wife is worse than kidknap, rape, burglaray, perjury, marrying a minor. Rhys was and always will be remembered by me as one of my favourite ever parents on the show. :)

This week on the Early years, Ken died. After his funeral, Nick and Jade were talking and she mentioned the only person she ever knew who had died was her Grandmother. Jade was so caring to both Irene and Nick. Kirsty was a cow the entire time. I can't wait until Nick and Kirsty break up.

I also must say I love the Rhys and Shelley relationship. They had a certain spark that no other older couple had in my opinion.

EDIT: You forgot forgery. :)

There were still mentions later on, I remember in 2002/2003, Nick mentioned she must have learned to play from her dad...but not a lot about his history. I'm glad the Angie saga opened up a little more about their past...I just wish it didn't break Rhys and Shelley up. :( They were my favourite older couple.

I didn't like the way it split up Rhys and Shelley, but i also didn't like the way it was implied every five minutes that he ended up with 3 lovely daughters (well 2 lovely daughters and Kirsty) but what he really wanted was a son, like he was disappointed with the kids he'd got or something. I was so pleased when Dylan turned out not to be his son, i couldn't stand him.

Rhys and Shelley should have got back together sooner rather tham marrying him off to awful Beth Hunter.

I always felt bad for Shelley, she was a woman who loved her family and husband more than anything...yet Angie was able to give him the one thing she couldn't. I could understand her anger. After that storyline, she became quite cold...and her character was destroyed. I didn't mind Dylan, but it was Beth that I didn't like. <_<

I read somewhere on the forum that Shelley was originally planned to return after the Angie saga.

I read she was supposed to come back and get back together with Rhys too, but Paula Forrest wanted to leave for a bit so the writers split them up, then when she wanted to return she couldn't as they'd already married Rhys off to Beth (so wrong). All they had to do was wait a couple of months and that disaster could have been avoided.

I hated Dylan for being the reason Shelley was driven away and the way evertone just accepted him into the family without any resentment for driving their mother away. Also he seemed too over confident that these people were now his family and that he belonged with them. I was glad when he left and the proper Sutherlands forgot all about him.

Archived