Linger

Guest bay girl

Hey all; here’s a new chapter for you. Hope you enjoy!!!

WARNING: This story may contain some stuff that isn’t suitable for younger readers. It may contain violence, sexual references, adult themes and a bit of course language. Thanks. You have been warned.

CHAPTER THIRTY-ONE

“I need to sit down. My head is spinning a million miles an hour,” Martha took a few steps forward and sat down at the end of Irene’s hospital bed.

“How do you think I felt when the woman turned up on my door step?” Irene ranted.

Martha blocked Irene’s voice out as she lowered her face into her hands. She rubbed at her temples; her headache hitting full force now. “This is insane. It’s crazy,” she muttered.

“I’m not crazy,” Irene cried out. “You all thought I was crazy the last time, but then look what happened; you and I were nearly killed. And now it’s all happening again,” she continued.

“I’m not saying you are crazy,” Martha reached out and patted Irene’s hand. “I believe you; I do. I just don’t want to believe it. I don’t want this to be happening. I’ve just got everything back on track and now someone is trying to ruin it all again,” she was beginning to get quite upset.

“I didn’t want to frighten you. I just wanted you to know, so that you could watch your back,” Irene apologized. “She already got to you once. I’d hate to see that happen again,” she added.

Martha was confused. “What do you mean ‘she already got to me once’?” she asked. She certainly didn’t like where this was headed.

“She was the one who hurt you Martha,” Irene began. “She’s the reason you were in a coma. She caused your memory loss. She told me what she done to you when she turned up on my doorstep,” she continued.

“Oh my god,” Martha raised her hands to her lips. She couldn’t believe that this was happening.

“I nearly had a heart attack when she told me who she was,” Irene started to explain to her. “She pushed her way into the house and started taunting me; about what she’d done to you and how she was planning on getting rid of you and me. And how she was doing it all for her son. I managed to get outside and got into my car. I drove off, but she was close behind me. Of course by then, it was already too late for me. She’d already messed with my brakes, and before I knew it I was I was heading for a tree,” she trailed off.

“You must have been so scared,” Martha exclaimed in a sad voice.

“I was,” Irene nodded. “But now, all I want you to do is go to the police and tell them. Tell them everything I told you, and hopefully they’ll be able to find her and lock her up,” she said to Martha.

“I’ll go now,” Martha sat up.

Irene lurched forward and took hold of Martha’s hand; squeezing it. “Be careful Martha. She’s dangerous. She could be anywhere. She could be your new best friend, or the nice new lady in town. Don’t trust anyone,” she warned.

Martha smiled at her. “I’ll be careful,” she promised.

She pulled away and left Irene’s room; coming face to face with an anxious Belle. “Well?” Belle demanded to know.

“I’m going to the police station. Don’t leave Irene alone,” Martha ordered as she walked past in a bit of a daze.

“Why are you going to the police? What’s going on Mac?” Belle was clearly upset.

“Irene will explain it all,” Martha kept walking and didn’t bother turning back to look at Belle.

Fine,” Belle huffed as she stormed into Irene’s room; demanding an explanation.

Martha walked down the hospital corridor, with many different thoughts going through her head. This whole thing was just so confusing. As she left the hospital and headed for her car, something Irene had just said popped back into her head. She’s dangerous. She could be anywhere. She could be your new best friend, or the nice new lady in town. Don’t trust anyone.

Martha suddenly came to a realization. That woman from the hospital café! The one who seemed so familiar; it was her. Martha came to a halt. She gasped out loud when it all came flooding back to her. She remembered. She remembered that day as if it was just yesterday.

Months Earlier

Martha was so angry. She couldn’t believe the nerve of Brett Macklin; her father. How dare he just turn up on her doorstep like that, and expect her to just forgive him and welcome him with open arms. He’d treated her like something off the bottom of his shoe. He’d tried his damn well hardest to destroy the town, and had even attempted to kill Josie Russell. She couldn’t forgive him. She didn’t think she ever could.

She didn’t care that he claimed he was a changed man. That prison had changed him. She didn’t care if he begged to see her daughter; his only grandchild. He didn’t deserve anything from her. She didn’t owe him anything.

A knock at the door broke through Martha’s thoughts. Presuming that it was her father back for another round of begging, she yelled out. “I thought I told you to get lost,” she cried as she spun around. She was surprised when she found that it wasn’t her father, but a woman.

“Oh, I’m sorry. I thought you were someone else,” Martha apologized as she walked to the door.

“Quite alright,” the woman exclaimed.

The cold blank look on her face didn’t go un-noticed to Martha. It was making her feel extremely uncomfortable. “Can I help you with something?” she asked her.

“Are you Martha Mackenzie?” the woman asked her.

“I used to be, but I got married. Its Martha Holden now,” Martha told her.

“As in Jack Holden; the copper?” the woman scoffed. “Typical. He predicted that you would run back to him,” she laughed as she stepped inside and towards Martha.

“What are you talking about? Who are you?” Martha was beginning to get scared. There was something about this woman that she did not like one bit.

“My name is Karen,” the woman responded.

“Well, I don’t know you, so I think that you should leave,” Martha tried to sound confident. “Besides, my husband will be home soon,” she added.

Karen laughed. “I don’t care you little bitch,” she sneered. “I’m not going anywhere until I’m ready,” she pointed out as she moved even closer towards Martha.

“Get out of my house,” Martha yelled. “Please just leave me alone,” she begged. By now, Martha was in full panic mode. All she could think about was Alex; who was asleep in her cot in the other room. What if this woman had come to take Alex? Martha couldn’t bare the thought of something happening to her.

Karen suddenly lunged at Martha; grabbing her by the shoulders. “Why are you doing this?” Martha screamed as she struggled to get away from Karen. “I didn’t do anything to you. I don’t even know you,” she cried.

“You knew my son,” Karen shook Martha. “And because of you, and Jack Holden and that stupid woman Irene Roberts; he’s in prison for life. You all took him away from me, and now you’re all going to pay,” she snarled at Martha.

“Corey?” Martha immediately knew whom she was talking about.

“Two points,” Karen giggled. “This is for him,” she added as she gave Martha one final push.

Martha fell backwards; letting out a scream on her way down. She hit her head and soon everything faded to black……………….

Martha shuddered at the memory. How could she forget something so important; so horrible? Corey’s mother! She was in town and she was coming for her. Martha knew that it wouldn’t be long until she wanted to finish off what she had started.

Martha reached her car and slumped against it. She felt so sick to the stomach; she wanted to vomit. She slid to the ground and started to cry. There was only one thing going through her mind now. Brett. Her father; she had accused him of something awful. And now, because of her, he was back in prison.

“You and Martha are back together?” Joy looked at Jack in sadness.

Jack felt awful. But this had to be done. “Yes, we are,” he nodded. “I’m sorry if you think that I led you on or anything, because it wasn’t my intention to hurt you or anything like that,” he explained.

“Too late,” Joy muttered. “But I guess I should have seen this coming. My brother tried to warn me, but I wouldn’t listen to him. I didn’t want to believe that you were still in love with her. I should have realized when you never tried to kiss me or anything,” she laughed a little.

Jack smiled. “I’m glad you’re not chasing after me with an axe or something,” he laughed.

“I’m not a nutcase if that’s what you’re thinking,” Joy pointed out with a grin. “I’m just, not the type of person to stand in the way of true love. And that’s clearly what you and Martha have. You’ve been through so much, but you still manage to find a way back to each other. If that’s not true love then I don’t know what is,” she said to him.

“Thank you for understanding,” Jack exclaimed.

Joy nodded. “I just hope that I can find that kind of love one day,” she told him. “Besides, it wouldn’t have worked out between us anyway. I’m going back home in a few day, soooo,” she trailed off with a small smile.

“Listen, since I broke your heart and all,” Jack started with a joke. “I’d like to invite you and your brother over for dinner at our place. Martha and I would love to have the both of you over. How about we organize for the night before you leave?” he suggested.

“That sounds great,” Joy accepted the invitation.

Jack was about to speak again when his phone started to ring. According to his caller ID it was Martha. “Speaking of Martha,” he waved his phone in the air.

“I’ll let you go,” Joy laughed. “Just give us a call and let us know the full details about the dinner,” she added as she started to walk away.

“Bye,” Jack waved her off before answering his phone. “Hey Martha,” he smiled sweetly into the phone.

Martha kept her eyes trained on the road in front of her as she waited for Jack to answer his phone. She knew she shouldn’t be talking and riving at the same time, but right now she didn’t care.

“Hey Martha,” Jack’s sweet voice answered at the other end.

“Jack, I’ve done something really awful,” she cried. “It wasn’t my dad who hurt me. But now he’s in prison, and it’s all because of me,” she continued.

“Martha, what’s going on?” Jack sounded worried.

Martha sighed; wiping at her tears before she continued to speak. “Remember that woman at the hospital last night? The one who I said looked really familiar? It was her Jack. She was the one at the house that day. I remember everything,” she explained to him.

“Oh my god,” Jack muttered through the phone; clearly in shock.

“That’s not all Jack,” Martha began again. “Her name is Karen. She’s Corey’s mother,” she cried.

“Are kidding me?” Jack’s voice went hard.

“I wish I was,” Martha tried to laugh. “But, I’m on my way to the police station now. She was the one who caused Irene’s accident too. So she’s come for me and Irene and it won’t be long until she makes another appearance,” she told Jack.

“I’m walking to my car, so I’ll meet you there,” Jack then said. “I’ll see you soon”.

“Okay, bye,” Martha said in return. “I love you,” she added before hanging up the phone.

Martha chucked her phone down onto the seat beside her. She looked up into the review mirror to check to see if her mascara had smudged from her tears, but the only thing she noticed was a car speeding up behind her; a car which was now getting a little too close for comfort.

Before she could do anything about it, the other car was tapping her from behind. “Oh my god,” Martha screamed.

Martha inched the car forward a bit more, but this only made the other driver more determined. The car sped up, and smashed into her side. Martha lost control of the wheel and her car went spinning out of control; sending her straight into a tree with a loud crash.

NEXT CHAPTER: Is Martha okay?

• Replies 36
  • Created
  • Last Reply

WARNING: This story may contain some stuff that isn’t suitable for younger readers. It may contain violence, sexual references, adult themes and a bit of course language. Thanks. You have been warned.

Sorry, but this chapter isn't very long.

CHAPTER THIRTY-TWO

Martha groaned in pain as she lifted her head away from the steering wheel. Her head felt as though someone had just slammed it into a concrete wall. After a few moments of trying to figure out where she was, she remembered what had just happened. Someone had just pushed her off the road.

Moving her hand down to her left, she undone her seatbelt and then pulled at the door handle; opening it. Her head was throbbing and the whole world seemed to be spinning as she stepped out onto the gravel. She took a few steps to the side before eventually falling to the ground in defeat.

“Get up,” a voice snarled at her.

Martha lifted her head and watched as a female walked towards her. Due to the blurriness of her vision, Martha wasn’t quite sure who it was at first. But as the woman got closer; there was no mistaken who it was.

“Karen,” Martha cried as she tried to pull herself along the ground and away from Karen. “Please stay away from me,” she begged.

Karen laughed at Martha’s misfortune. “Why would I do that you stupid silly girl,” she grinned as she looked down over Martha. “I’m assuming that you’ve got most of your memory back, as you now seem to remember who I am,” she then added.

“You’re crazy,” Martha snapped at her.

“No, I’m just pissed off,” Karen glared at her. “Now get up,” she reached down and scruffed at Martha’s jacket; pulling her up to her feet.

“No,” Martha shook her head and tried pull away.

“Yes,” Karen started to drag Martha towards her car; which was parked only meters away.

“Where are you taking me?” Martha cried out as she struggled to get away.

“Just someplace where you and I can a have a nice long chat,” Karen sneered.

“Bye dad,” Jack hung up his phone and dropped it onto the passenger seat. He’d just been on the phone explaining to his father, that he wouldn’t be able to pick Alex up until later. He’d also filled him in on the recent development; Corey’s mother.

After getting off the phone with Martha, Jack immediately got in his car and headed towards the police station; where he had arranged to meet Martha. He was in total shock; he couldn’t believe that it was Corey’s mother who had been doing all of this. She’d come to his home and had hurt his wife, and then went on to hurt Irene.

Jack never thought in a million years, that he and Martha would come across Corey again. Well, it wasn’t him; it was his mother. But still; Corey was involved. The whole Corey caper had been something that Martha, Irene and himself had put behind them. It was something that they had never wanted to think about or worry about again. But now, when they had least expected it; it had raised its ugly head again. Martha and Irene were in just as much danger as they had been the first time.

Jack was only about five minutes away from the police station, when he spotted something that made his blood run cold; Martha’s car smashed up against a tree. He slammed on his brakes and pulled the car to a stop. He leapt from his car and bolted towards Martha’s.

“Martha,” he cried out as he got closer. “No, No, No,” he muttered to himself. This could not be happening. He had only just got her back.

“Martha,” he yelled out again when he reached the car. He braced himself for something awful, but was shocked when he found nothing. Martha wasn’t there; she was gone.

“What the hell,” he was confused.

But then he spotted it; the blood. It was smeared across the steering wheel. He reached out and dabbed his finger in it. It was still warm. He looked to the ground and spotted more blood; tiny droplets, leading away from the car. He followed the trail until it stopped only a few meters away from Martha’s car.

There were tire marks on the ground, so Jack could only guess that she had gotten into another car. And now, Jack had a bad feeling about whose car it may have been. There was no way that Martha’s accident had been just that; an accident. Someone had hurt her, and then taken her. He could feel it in his bones; Martha was in trouble.

And he knew exactly who she was with; Corey’s mother.

NEXT CHAPTER: What will Karen do with Martha?

CHAPTER THIRTY-THREE

Jack was at the police station; pacing back and forth from one side of the room to the other. He was surrounded by his father, Beth, Alf, Ric, Lucas and Mattie; all of them just as distraught as Jack. They couldn’t believe what was happening.

“Come on Jack; you just need to calm down for a second,” Tony urged at his son.

Jack paused on the spot and turned to glare at his father. “Calm down? You want me to calm down?” he spat out. “Martha’s been taken by some nutcase. I can’t calm down,” he added.

Tony let out a loud sigh as Alex, who he was rocking in his arms, started to cry. “If you can’t calm down for your sake, then maybe you can for Alex’s. She may only be a baby, but she’d not stupid Jack. She can feel your distress, and it’s upsetting her. She knows that something is going on,” he explained to his son.

Jack reached out his arms and started to pry his daughter from Tony’s arms. “Give her to me please,” he almost demanded.

He took Alex in his arms and hugged her tightly to his chest. He cupped the back of her head and placed a soft kiss on her brow. “I’m sorry Joey. I just miss mummy and I want her back. I know you do too,” he whispered so only she could here his soothing words.

“Look Jack; we know you’re worried, but the rest of us too. We just need to be strong and stay positive,” Tony rested his hand on Jack’s shoulder.

“I know,” Jack nodded in understanding. “But I just got her back dad. We’re a family again. I can’t lose her,” he exclaimed.

“Wait, you and Martha are back together?” Mattie butted in.

“Yeah,” Jack answered. “Last night, she decided that she wanted to give it a go. She’s been remembering a lot of things lately, so a lot of her old feelings are returning,” he explained.

“Well that’s great,” Tony smiled warmly.

Jack scoffed. “Yeah, well it’s not going to matter if she’s dead, is it?” he pointed out.

“She’s not going to die,” Alf snapped at him. “So stop talking as though she already is,” he growled.

“Alright folks; lets not fight,” McGrath said as he stepped out of his office. “Unfortunately, I have some bad news for you,” he then added.

“What’s that supposed to mean?” Jack was worried.

“It just means that we have no idea where she is,” McGrath exclaimed. “We’ve called all the hotels, resorts and motels in the area asking if they have a Karen Henderson in one of their rooms, but so far we’ve come up with nothing. I’ve got everybody out searching from top to bottom,” he told the group.

“So what’s next then?” Alf wanted to know. “How are we going to find my granddaughter?”

Jack knew what had to be done. And right now, it was their best option. “I have to go to the prison,” he spoke up.

“Why on earth do you need to go there?” McGrath was a little confused.

“Because that’s where Corey is,” Jack answered. “He’s the reason why this is all happening. He’ll have all the answers”.

Karen scruffed at Martha; pulling her from the car and out onto the hard ground. Martha winced and yet out a small yelp as a rock broke through the skin on her hand. Blood soon started spilling from the cut; and into the dirt.

Martha didn’t like this place. The view might have been nice, but she hated heights. And for someone who was afraid of heights; a cliff face wasn’t the greatest place to be. Martha was well aware of where she was. As soon as Karen had pulled up there, Martha had recognized the place. She’d been there before; with Corey. It was the very place that he had tried to kill her.

There was no doubt that Corey had told his mother about this place, and that was why Karen had brought her here. Martha watched as Karen produced a few ropes from the car. Panicking, she quickly stood up and tried to run. But Karen was having none of that.

“Not so fast missy,” Karen sneered as she flashed a gun in front of Martha.

Martha halted at the sight of the gun. She wasn’t too keen on having a bullet implanted into her body. “Okay,” Martha raised her hands in defeat. “I’m not going anywhere,” she promised.

“That’s a good girl,” Karen smiled as she grabbed at Martha; spinning her around. She held Martha’s hands together and quickly tied the ropes around her wrists; bounding her tightly. “That’s to make sure that you don’t go anywhere too quickly,” Karen said as she pushed Martha to the ground again.

Martha looked up that insane woman through her tear filled eyes. “I didn’t do anything to you. Why? Why are you doing this to me?” she cried. “Why?” she pleaded to know.

Karen started to laugh. She got down on her hands and knees in front of Martha and crawled towards her so that they were face to face. “Why? Why? You want to know why?” she squealed. “I’ll tell you why Miss Thing,” she said sarcastically in a high pitched tone of voice.

Martha averted her eye away from Karen. She couldn’t bear to look this woman in the face. She frightened her. She was ready to admit that this woman scared her death.

“You took my son away from me. You’re the reason why he is locked up in that horrid place,” Karen started. “You. Your stupid husband and that snot of a woman Irene Roberts; you put my Corey in that place. I’ll never get to hold my boy again. He’s my baby. My only boy. And you all took him when I needed him the most,” she ranted like a crazy woman.

“Corey was a bad person,” Martha cried. “He was hurting people. He needed to be stopped,” she tried to talk sense to Karen.

“How dare you,” Karen roared as she raised her palm and slapped Martha clean around the face.

The sound of Karen’s palm slapping against Martha’s cheek echoed through the air. Martha fell backwards at the impact. The only sounds that could be heard now, were the soft whimpers that emitted from Martha’s lips.

“Maybe that will teach you to keep your mouth shut,” Karen said to her as she stood up and walked back towards the car. “I’ll give you a few minutes alone to think about what you just said. Then I’ll come back and see if you’re willing to be a good girl,” she added.

With her hands tied behind her back, Martha couldn’t sit back up. So she had to put up with the dirt that she was now lying in. And most important; she had to keep her mouth shut. Who knew what Karen was capable of?

Next chapter: Jack speaks with Corey.

PLEASE REVIEW

CHAPTER THIRTY-FOUR

Jack stood at the door; watching Corey from a distance. He sat hunched at a table, and his hands were in cuffs and he had two police officers standing on either side of him; keeping him in place. Jack took in his appearance; noting that he looked rather thin and gaunt.

Jack took a step into the room; McGrath close behind him. Corey looked up; acknowledging them with a wide grin.

“Well, look what the cats dragged in. Two of my most favorite people in the world,” Corey laughed. “What do I own this pleasure?” he asked.

“You know why we’re Corey,” McGrath exclaimed as he sat down across from him. He for one was not in the mood for playing games.

“What, no hello for me Jack?” Corey sneered as Jack sat down next to McGrath.

“Like you really deserve one,” Jack stared him down.

“You know, I’m sensing a lot of hostility coming from you Jack,” Corey faked a sigh. “I kinda get the feeling that you don’t like me very much,” he laughed.

“That’s coz I don’t,” Jack glared across at Corey. “Now cut the crap and tell me where she is,” he demanded.

“Who?” Corey looked away; clearly uninterested. “I really have no idea who you’re talking about,” he yawned.

“Look, we didn’t come here to play games with you Corey,” McGrath’s voice hardened. “Just tell us where Martha is, and then we’ll leave,” he added.

“Martha. Martha. Martha,” Corey breathed out. “How is the hottest girl in Summer Bay going?” he asked with a smirk; directing the question at Jack.

Jack clenched his fists tight; his nails starting to dig into his palm. He knew that Corey was just trying to rile him up, but it still got to him, hearing Corey speak about Martha like that. The only way he could let the anger pass would be to beat Corey at his own game.

“Martha’s fine. Happily married to me in fact,” Jack grinned across at Corey. “We have a baby too, but I guess you already know that,” he added.

“Happy? I think not,” Corey laughed. “Last time I checked, Martha didn’t remember you or the life you had together,” he pointed out.

Jack took his turn to laugh. “Well, the last time I checked, which by the way was this morning after a night of hot sex, she remembered. I guess she just remembered how hot I could make her, and she just couldn’t resist me anymore,” Jack took pleasure in watching Corey squirm as he spoke.

Hearing a slight cough from beside him, Jack turned his head to face McGrath. “We didn’t come here to talk about your sex life Holden,” McGrath told him.

“Sorry,” Jack said sheepishly.

“So Corey, I’ll ask you again; where’s Martha?” McGrath asked.

Corey smiled again; this time from ear to ear. “So, mummy dearest finally took her, didn’t she?” it was a statement not a question. “What a shame,” he added with no remorse whatsoever.

“Your mother is a nutcase,” Jack exclaimed in anger.

“Jack, stop it,” McGrath scolded.

“It’s true,” Jack yelled at his boss before turning to look back at Corey. “Your mother is insane and needs to be locked up. Like mother, like son, right?” he sneered.

Corey’s lip curled up into a snarl. “Keep talking to me like that and you’ll never see your precious Martha again,” he warned. “And that daughter of yours; she’ll be next,” he continued with his taunting.

All Jack could see was red. He flew up out of his seat and lurched across the table at Corey; slamming his fist into his face. “You son of a bitch,” Jack screamed as McGrath pulled him away from Corey. “You ever threaten my daughter like that again, and it’ll be the last thing you or your mother ever do. You understand that Corey? If that crazy mother of yours hurts Martha in any way; I’ll have no qualms about putting a bullet into her chest, got it?” he spat out.

Corey scoffed at Jack. “Martha will be dead and my mother will be long gone by the time you even find them,” he said harshly.

“Where is she?” Jack tried to launch himself at Corey once more, but was pulled back by McGrath again. “Tell me,” he was starting to lose it.

“You’re the insane one if you think that I’d ever tell you,” Corey laughed in his face as he stood up. “Take me back to my cell. Now,” he ordered. “I have nothing else to say,” he said coldly.

“Take him,” McGrath nodded at the two officers.

“No, he hasn’t told us where Martha is yet,” Jack was starting to get pissed off. “You can’t let him go yet,” he yelled at his boss.

“Jack, he’s not going to tell us anything,” McGrath exclaimed. “There’s no point in us sitting here with him when we know full well he’ll never tell us. We’re better off back at the station,” he pointed out.

Jack hung his head in defeat. He couldn’t believe this. He had really thought that Corey would do a decent thing and tell him where Martha was, but he was so wrong. Corey was still the same person that he was the last time Jack seen him. He held no sympathy or remorse for anyone. He didn’t care whose life was ruined.

“Hey Jacky,” Corey’s voice broke through Jack’s downer on himself.

Jack looked up at him with hate in his eyes. He honestly wanted this man to rot in hell. “What?” he spat out.

“Is Martha still afraid of heights?” Corey sniggered.

“What’s that supposed to mean?” Jack glared at him.

“I’ll let you figure that one out,” Corey sneered one last time before being led from the room.

So many thoughts were going through Jack’s mind. Corey’s last words to him held some meaning, he juts knew it. Corey knew exactly where Martha was, and he was taunting Jack with it by giving it to him in a question.

The first thing that popped into Jack’s mind was the cliffs where he and Martha had shared their first kiss. But Corey didn’t know about that place, so the cliffs were out of the equation.

But then suddenly it clicked. “I know where she is?” Jack shot out.

“What? How could you possibly know?” McGrath was confused.

“Martha’s afraid of heights,” Jack started. “Remember that cliff face where Corey had Martha the last time. What better place do take Martha, than the last place her son seen her?” he explained.

“Not bad,” McGrath praised Jack. “But don’t get your hopes up. Your hunch could be wrong,” he pointed out.

“I know that,” Jack said as he headed from the room. “But let’s hurry. We don’t have anytime to waste. And no sirens either. If Karen hears them, she might panic and take off with Martha,” he told McGrath.

“Let’s go then,” McGrath led the way.

PLEASE REVIEW

CHAPTER THIRTY-FIVE

Martha shivered in the cold. The wind was strong up on the cliff face, and Martha’s hair was whipping at her face. Due to the restraints on her hands, she couldn’t even wrap her arms around herself to warm herself up. She looked over at Karen, who was sitting on a nearby rock; flicking through a magazine. Martha felt a little relieved as Karen now didn’t have the gun on her. She’d left it on the front seat of her car.

“What are we doing here?” she asked her. “We’ve been sitting here for over two hours doing nothing,” Martha added.

Karen laughed, but didn’t look up from her magazine. “I’m debating on whether or not I’m going to throw you off the side of that cliff, or just take you some place else where you can wait out your impending death,” she answered her.

Martha lowered her head and started to cry. She was going to die. She wasn’t going to see her family ever again. She wasn’t going to get to hold her husband or her daughter in her arms ever again. Thinking of Alex sent her even further over the edge. The tears slipped down her cheeks as sobs started to wrack her body.

Karen stood up from the rock and threw her magazine in the dirt. “It doesn’t feel very good, does it?” she spat out as she stepped towards Martha and leant down in front of her. “Being separated from the people you love. Thinking that you’ll never get to see them or hold them again,” she reached out and brushed Martha’s hair away from her face.

Martha flicked her head away from Karen’s touch. She couldn’t stand the thought of this woman’s hands on her. “Don’t touch me,” she snarled at Karen.

“You’re not in the position to be demanding things Martha,” Karen sniggered.

Martha kept her eyes down. She didn’t dare to look at Karen.

“Now, where were we? Oh yes, the people you love,” Karen started again. “I bet your thinking about your daughter right now. Am I right? It hurts doesn’t it? It’s painful to think that you’ll never get to see or hold you baby in your arms again. Now you know how I feel. Now you know how I felt when my baby was taken away from me; my Corey. He’s in that horrid place and they won’t even let me touch my own son,” she was growing angrier by the minute.

“But that wasn’t my fault,” Martha cried out. “Corey was hurting people. He tried to kill me. He was put in prison so he couldn’t hurt anyone else,” she tried to reason with Karen.

“I don’t care what you think. Those people deserved what they got. They took my husband from me. They sent him to prison and they drove him to the point where he couldn’t stand to live anymore,” Karen ranted on. “They needed to be punished. And Corey did just that. He gave them what they deserved,” she exclaimed.

“No wonder Corey went crazy,” Martha snapped. “With a mother like you; who wouldn’t?” she held her head high.

“That’s it. I’ve had enough of your back chat,” Karen grabbed Martha and pulled at her roughly. She quickly untied the ropes that bounded Martha’s hands and then scruffed her to her feet. “Get up. I’m going to end this now. Once and for all,” she growled as she started to drag Martha towards the edge of the cliff.

Panic started to fill Martha’s body as she struggled with Karen. She flung her arms and kicked at her feet as she screamed out for help.

“Help,” she screamed at the top of her lungs. “Somebody help me,” she cried out.

“Nobody can hear you. Nobody knows that we’re here,” Karen swung her fist at Martha’s face and sent her flying to the ground. “So just stop fighting me and let the inevitable happen”.

Martha clutched at her face as she lifted her head to look at Karen. She towered above Martha and looked down at her as though she was an ant, about to be stepped on. Martha used her hands and feet to push herself along the ground and away from Karen.

“You’re not going anywhere you little bitch,” Karen snarled as she lunged at Martha and grabbed her by the hair and started to drag her back to the edge again. “Actually, scratch that. The only place you’ll be going is over the edge,” she laughed maliciously.

This is it, Martha thought to herself. This is the end. It’s all over for me. “Please, don’t do this,” she begged at Karen. “Please, I’m begging you to let me go,” the tears were freely falling down her face now.

“Begging is not going to get you anywhere,” Karen said to her as they both reached the edge. “Now, this won’t hurt. It will be over in a se…..,” she started but was cut off by roaring voice.

“Martha…….

Karen stopped what she was doing and both women spun around to see who it was. Martha felt relief wash over her when she spotted Jack and McGrath standing only a few meters away. And even better, McGrath had his gun at the ready.

“Jack,” Martha cried out as she reached a hand out to him.

“Let the girl go, and put your hands in the air,” McGrath demanded.

Karen let out a high pitched laugh and shook her head as she tightened her grip on Martha. “No, this is all ends today. She needs to be punished,” as she pulled Martha even closer to the edge.

“Let her go, please,” Jack begged.

“If you don’t let Martha go, I will have to shoot you Mrs. Henderson,” McGrath warned her. “I don’t want to have to do that,” he added.

“No,” Karen exclaimed. “No, I will not”.

Martha looked back at her husband and she could see the fear clear in his face. He was just as frightened as she was. She didn’t want to be the cause of his pain. So, she knew she had to fight for her life. Knowing what she had to do, she stomped her foot down hard on Karen’s own foot.

Karen let out a loud wail and loosened her grip on Martha. Martha then took the chance to try and step away from Karen. But Karen wasn’t stupid. She latched onto Martha again and a struggle ensued.

As the two women struggled Jack and McGrath ran towards them. Karen had a firm grip on Martha’s arm and was taking her closer and closer back towards the edge. Martha gave a hard tug at her arm and Karen went flying forward; letting Martha go. Martha took a step back and watched as Karen also straightened herself up. Relief washed over Martha, but that relief was soon gone.

Karen’s face was tinged with anger. She let out a growl as she took another step at Martha. But then that relief that Martha had felt only seconds before disappeared. And it was replaced with a look of horror.

Everything in Martha’s eyes went into slow motion. She watched as Karen lost her footing and her balance. The older woman’s piercing screams echoed through Martha’s ears as she toppled backwards and over the edge of the cliff.

“No,” Martha cried out as she lunged forward and tried to grab hold of the woman. But her efforts were for nothing.

It was too late. Karen was gone.

CHAPTER THIRTY-SIX

Martha felt a strong pair of hands wrap around her waist and pull her back; away from the edge.

“Martha,” Jack’s voice whispered in her ear. “You’re okay now. It’s all over,” he soothed.

“Jack,” Martha started to cry as she turned in his arms to face him. “She, she fell,” she stuttered. “She fell over the edge. She’s dead,” she added with a whimper.

“I know,” Jack cupped her face. “Let’s go back to the car. Get you warmed up, okay,” he suggested as he cupped her face.

Martha just nodded and let Jack lead her to the police car. As they walked away, Martha turned back to look at the cliff face. McGrath was standing there; looking over the edge whilst talking on his mobile phone. “She fell,” Martha muttered again.

“Hey, it’s not your fault,” Jack helped her into the passenger side seat. “It was an accident. She lost her balance and she tripped,” he assured her.

Martha nodded. She knew it wasn’t her fault. “I know that. But what a horrible way to die,” she started. “That could have been me Jack. She tried to push me over the edge,” she whispered.

“I’m just thanking god that it wasn’t you,” Jack brushed her hair away from her face. “I don’t know what I would have done if something had happened to you,” he gently leant forward and placed a soft kiss on her lips.

Martha let out a small smile and pulled him in for a warm hug. She felt so safe now with his arms holding her tightly. She then pulled away and looked at him. “I want to see Alex,” she told him.

“Of course,” Jack nodded as he grabbed the seat belt and buckled Martha in. “I just have to go and have a word with McGrath and then we’ll go to the station. That’s where the others are waiting for us,” he explained.

He gave her another kiss before closing the door and walking back over towards McGrath. “Martha wants to see Alex. Do you mind if I take her back now?” he asked his boss.

“Yeah, sure,” McGrath nodded in Jack’s direction. “I’ll be fine here by myself until the team get here. I’ve just been on the phone organizing for some people to come up and get Mrs. Henderson. I think they’ll have to go down the side of the cliff to get her,” he explained to Jack.

“It’s not going to be a pretty sight,” Jack sighed.

“No, it won’t,” McGrath agreed. “But don’t you worry about that. Just get Martha back to the station so she can be with her daughter. I’ll give you a call and let you know how everything unfolds,” he said to Jack.

Jack gave a short nod and then slowly turned; making his way back to the car.

Martha sat curled up in a chair; Alex resting gently against her chest. She was so glad to be back with her daughter. The thought of never seeing her again had been scary. She never wanted to feel like that again.

Martha sat alone in McGrath’s office with Alex; waiting for Jack to come in with a hot drink. He’d been gone for a while now, and she wanted him to hurry up and get back to her. As if he had heard her wishes, Jack soon returned.

“Hey,” Jack whispered as he sat down in the chair next to her. “I made you a coffee,” he placed her hot drink on the desk.

“Are we allowed to go home soon?” Martha asked him.

“Yeah, we’ll head off shortly,” Jack answered. “I’ve already sent dad and the others home. As soon as McGrath gets back, we’ll go home and we can put Alex to bed,” he told her.

Martha nodded in acceptance. “So, what did McGrath have to say when he called you before?” she was curious.

Jack sighed before answering Martha’s question. “They found Karen’s body,” he told her as he looked won at the floor.

“Oh,” Martha said in a hushed tone. “I never wanted her to die Jack. I never wanted any of this to happen,” her eyes started to well up with tears again.

“I know that,” Jack squeezed her hand. “None of us wanted it to end this way,” he pointed out.

“How did you find me?” Martha suddenly spoke again.

“We went and spoke to Corey,” Jack replied.

Martha’s gaze snapped onto Jack’s at the mention of Corey’s name. “He actually told you where I was?” she was in disbelief.

“No, he didn’t,” Jack growled. “He spent the whole time goading me on. But just before he left the room, he made some snide remark about you being afraid of heights. After that it just kind of clicked,” he explained to Martha.

Martha gave him a sweet smile as she reached out and cupped his cheek with one of her hands. “You’re so smart,” she exclaimed with a teasing tone. “My smart, handsome man,” she grinned.

“Shut up,” Jack laughed as he leant forward and quickly kissed her cheek. He then looked down at Alex, and smiled at her tiny frame. He placed his hand on her head and combed her soft girls away from her eyes as she slept. “I’m so lucky to have you two,” he looked up into Martha’s eyes.

“I love you,” Martha told him.

“I love you more,” Jack smiled as he leant across and placed his mouth on hers. Their lips lingered as they shared a soft and tender kiss.

Martha wrapped her warm woolen robe around her body, before picking up her comb and walking out into the lounge room. She unwrapped the towel from around her head and then hung it over a chair. She used the comb to gently brush out the knots in her wet hair.

She walked over to the couch were Jack was waiting for her; fresh from his own shower. “I made us some sandwiches,” he said as Martha sat down next to him.

Martha curled up beside him and rested her head on his chest. “Alex is asleep?” she asked Jack.

“Yep, like a baby,” Jack laughed.

“You’re so funny,” Martha said sarcastically.

“Hey,” Jack tried to sound offended, but couldn’t pull it off.

They sat in silence for a few moments; slowly eating the sandwiches that Jack had previously made. “What’s happening with my dad?” Martha suddenly asked.

Jack swallowed the mouthful of food that he had in his mouth and then straightened himself up into a proper sitting position. “They’re releasing him as soon as possible,” he answered Martha.

“So, he’ll be out before tonight?” Martha looked at him hopefully.

“Yeah,” Jack nodded as he looked at Martha’s discomfort. “You shouldn’t feel bad Martha. You were just going with what you remembered,” he said to her as he placed a hand on her knee.

“I accused him of something so awful Jack. I screwed up and he got sent back to prison for something he didn’t even do,” Martha was clearly upset.

“He won’t blame you. He knows that it wasn’t your fault,” Jack reassured her.

“How can you be so sure?” Martha frowned.

“Well, the only way you’ll know for sure is if you speak to him,” Jack told her.

“I know,” Martha sighed. “Do you think you could give him call in the morning and ask if he’ll meet with me?” she asked Jack.

“Of course I will,” Jack smiled at her. “Does this mean that you’ll be willing to give your relationship with your father another chance?” he was curious.

Martha shrugged. “I don’t know yet. I guess it’s something I’ll have to think about before I see him tomorrow,” she flopped back down onto Jack’s chest. But right now, all I want to do is sit here with you. I just want to be with you,” she hushed.

“I like that,” Jack wrapped his arms around her tighter as she snuggled into him.

FINAL CHAPTER: What decision will Martha make about her relationship with Brett?

PLEASE REVIEW.

Hey all. Well, here it is; the last chapter. Hope you enjoy!!!!!!!!!!!!!

CHAPTER THIRTY-SEVEN

“He should be here soon,” Jack exclaimed as he took Martha’s hand.

Martha took a deep breath and nodded. Jack had organized for her father to pop around to the house before he headed off back to the city. She was nervous about seeing him. She didn’t know what he was going to say to her; especially after she had accused him of such a horrible thing.

Martha had thought long and hard all through the night. She had been unsure of whether or not she wanted to have him in her life from now on. But she knew that she had come to the right decision.

“Now, are you sure that you don’t want me to stay?” Jack asked her.

“Yes, I’m sure,” Martha nodded. “I think it should just be me and Alex,” she told him.

“Alright, well I’m going to head down to the station and work on a bit of paperwork for a while,” Jack started. “How about we meet for lunch down at the park? I’ll pop into the diner and organize a basket of food. How does that sound?” he suggested.

Martha smiled. “Sounds great,” she agreed.

“Okay, well I’ll go now. But if you need me to come home, just call me alright,” Jack pulled her in for a hug, and kissed her gently on the lips.

Martha kissed him back for a few moments before pushing him away with a small laugh. “Now go. Get out of here,” she pushed him towards the door.

“Okay, okay, I’m going,” Jack held his hands up in defense. “I’ll see you later,” and with that he disappeared out the door.

Martha leant against the door and watched as Jack got into his car and drove away. She then turned around and headed towards Alex’s room. She needed to get her ready for her first meeting with her grandfather.

Martha was walking into the lounge area when Brett arrived; knocking softly on the door.

“Hi,” Martha smiled lightly as she invited him in.

“Thank you,” Brett gave her a short nod as he brushed passed.

“Please sit down,” Martha told Brett as they walked into the kitchen. “Thanks for coming,” she then told him as they sat down at the kitchen table.

“No worries. I had time before I had to go back to the city anyway,” Brett told her.

“Look, I just want to apologize for what I done. I feel so bad about accusing you of hurting me. I should have known that you would never hurt me like that. I should have believed you when you said you didn’t do it,” Martha started as she looked down at her hands in shame. “I just; I was in a really rough spot at the time, and I only remembered bits and pieces from that day. And the things that I did remember, it made it look as though you were the one who hurt me. But I’m sorry. I’m so sorry,” she apologized.

“It’s okay. Really, it’s okay. I don’t blame you,” Brett reassured Martha. “Like you said, you were having a rough time and you were just going with what your head was telling you. You couldn’t help the way that things panned out,” he said.

“I’m glad you don’t hate me,” Martha smiled a little.

“You’re my daughter. I could never hate you,” Brett exclaimed.

Martha started to laugh as she stood up. “And now that makes me feel like even more of a *****; especially after what I’m about to say,” she started to pace a little.

“What are you getting at?” Brett looked at her with concern as he stood up to stand next to her.

Martha looked up at her father; tears starting to sting her eyes. “I can understand that you’ve changed and that you’re not the same person that you used to be. I can see that you really do care for me and that you want what is best for me and Alex,” she started to explain to him. “And having said that; I think that it’s best that we don’t be a part of each others lives. Not right now anyway,” Martha added.

Brett looked at Martha; shock evident on his face. “Why? I mean, I don’t understand why we can’t start over,” he frowned.

Martha sighed. “My life is still a little hectic at the moment. There are still so many things that I don’t remember. You know; things about Alex and my life with Jack. My memories are slowly starting o come back to me, and I’m sure everything will become clear to me again one day soon,” she began. “Right now, Jack and Alex are my top priority, and I need to be with them. I can’t be worrying about other things. I really hope that you can understand that,” she said.

“Of course I understand,” Brett turned away from her.

“But one day, I hope that we can start over,” Martha assured him. “And just because we aren’t a part of each others lives, doesn’t mean you’re going to be kept out of the loop. I’ll keep you updated on how things are with Alex. I’ll send you photo’s of her and I’ll let you know how she is. It would be unfair if I took away that privilege from you,” she said.

Brett started to smile. “That would really mean a lot to me,” he told Martha. “And I do look forward to the day when we can start over,” he added.

“I really would like for you to meet Alex before you leave,” Martha then said.

“Really?” Brett grinned at her with hope in his eyes.

Martha nodded. “She’s in her room. I’ll go and get her,” she exclaimed as she turned and walked from the room.

Martha was really glad that her father understood her reasons for everything. She knew that she had come to the right decision. She needed to do what was best for herself, and right now this was what was best for her. Letting him see Alex was her thank you to him. After all, it was only fair that he get to meet his first grandchild. Martha didn’t want to take that away from him.

“Come on, lets go back meet your other poppy,” Martha cooed as she lifted Alex from her cot. “He’s really looking forward to meeting you,” she smiled down at her daughter.

Martha neatly lay out the blanket across the soft grass. She unclipped Alex from her pram and pulled her out and gently sat her down on the blanket; giving her few toys to play with.

“Let’s hope that daddy doesn’t take too long; because I am starving,” Martha said to Alex as she sat down herself.

Martha rolled over onto her back and shielded her eyes away from the bright sun. The day was beautiful. It was the perfect weather for a picnic, and Martha was excited to be spending time with just Jack and Alex. They’d never really had the chance to have some real quality family time.

“Would you look at that view,” a deep voice called out. “The two prettiest girls in the world, and they’re both mine,” he laughed.

Martha looked up and smiled when she spotted Jack walking across the park towards them. “You don’t look too bad yourself,” she grinned as Jack kicked off his thongs and sat down to her.

“Hi,” Jack winked at her as he leant across and kissed her. “So, how did it go with your dad?” he asked.

“It went well,” Martha nodded. “He understood my reasons for everything and he accepted my wishes. He was very happy when I told him that I would keep him updated about Alex,” she explained to Jack.

“Well, I’m glad everything went well for you,” Jack said.

“Me too,” Martha began. “But, lets’ put that behind us for now. Let’s eat, coz I’m famished,” she laughed as she reached out for the basket.

“Not so fast,” Jack snatched the basket away from her grasp. “We have some unfinished business to attend to first,” he informed her.

“What are you talking about?” Martha was confused. “If it’s something dirty, don’t you think that it would be best if we waited until were inside and away from prying eyes?” she wiggled her eyebrows at him.

Jack started to laugh at her. “Get your mind out of the gutter Mrs. Holden,” he taunted a little. “For your information, I’m actually talking about this,” he reached into his pocket and then produced Martha’s wedding ring.

“I still haven’t put it back on,” Martha started. “We kind of got caught in the moment the other night and forgot about it,” she pointed out as she reached to take it from his hand.

Jack pulled his hand away before Martha even had the chance to touch it. “Allow me,” he exclaimed.

Martha giggled a little before giving her hand to Jack. He took it gently in his hands and softly caressed her fingers. “Don’t you ever dare take this off again,” Jack smiled at her.

“I don’t plan on it,” Martha whispered to him as he slipped the ring onto her finger.

Martha touched Jack’s face and moved into kiss him, but was interrupted by a baby giggle. Martha and Jack quickly pulled away and looked across at the daughter.

“Come here you,” Jack laughed as he pulled Alex into his arms and brought her in between himself and Martha. “Don’t worry, we haven’t forgotten about you,” he kissed her soft cheek.

Martha loved the tenderness Jack displayed when he was with his daughter. It was one of the most beautiful things she had ever seen. And she loved him so much for it.

“I’m so lucky to have you,” Martha said to Jack.

Jack averted his eyes away from Alex and looked back up at Martha. “Pretty lucky,” he agreed with her as he smirked.

“Very lucky,” Martha nodded as she cupped his face and brought him in for a kiss.

“Love you,” Jack told her as their lips met.

“Me too,” Martha deepened the kiss.

Even though she still had a long way to go until she remembered all the details from her missing years, Martha was happy. She had a husband who loved her dearly, and the most beautiful baby daughter. They were what mattered. And as long as she had them; she’d be fine.

Martha let out a small sigh as she pulled away from Jack’s kiss. She looked deeply into his eyes and smiled. “Can we eat now?” she laughed.

Well Well Well, it’s over. It’s finally over. I really hope you enjoyed my story, and hope you tune into my next one ‘Return to Innocence’.

I’d really like to thank all those that read and reviewed my fic. And a big thank you to those who encouraged me to continue with my stories. It’s great to know that there are people out there who enjoy them and really look forward to my next updates.

So, once again; thank you.

Comments

Archived