The Wheel Slowly Turns

Guest AngelRose

• Replies 39
  • Created
  • Last Reply

That was beautiful I loved it, really touching how they called Sally mum and how Sally called Flynn their dad. Brilliant writen a moving chapter. :)

Well if you remember they both called Flynn 'dad' when saying goodbye & I don't think love Sal any less, so hence calling her 'Mum'.

(I was always surprised Sal never did that with Pippa actually; after all Sally was virtually a tot when Pippa & Tom took her in & a big storyline was made of her being adopted and changing her name to Fletcher; it would have made sense).

It also sets Cassie & Ric more as brother and sister which is what they are in this story.

Mattie had stayed with Tasha and Jack until the doctors needed to give Jack some tests and then walked back towards her room with her Mum. She saw the pain in her mother’s eyes but knew she dare not mention it; Beth was coping the only way that she could, by focusing on Mattie and keeping positive. The young girl knew this but all the same it was wearing; fighting to be brave with such UGLY scars was SO hard! It wasn’t until her Mum looked down at her and wiped away the tears with her thumb, that Mattie realised that she was crying.

“It’s ok Mattie, its ok; they’ll find them, you’ll see.” Beth said gently.

Suddenly furious, Mattie broke free of her mother and ran.

Having spoken to his grandfather and been told that the Bay’s search-teams had been sent back on an enforced break, Ric gratefully accepted Sally’s offer of a lift to the hospital to see Mattie. On the way he told about their plan (though not the dream, that seemed too private somehow). Sal listened carefully:

“Sounds like an adventure; we’d miss you though.” She said with a sigh.

Ric was surprised; he’d expected Sal to treat it like a pipe-dream to pacify Mattie and get her through the pain, much as Beth had.

“You’d let me go?”

Sal nodded:

“Sure; as long as you could save the money and Mattie finishes school first. Like I said, we’d miss you and I suspect Beth would take lot more convincing, but a gap year is a once in a lifetime shot and you both deserve that. Forever would be different, but I know how much you love the Bay, you’d come home.”

“Sal…” whatever Ric had planned to say Sal never knew for he gasped: “Oh my God; stop the car!”

_________________________________________________________________________________________

“Tony, Tony! Have you seen Mattie?!” Beth bustled into Jack and Tasha’s room.

Tony looked up from the game of cards he’d convinced Jack and Tasha to join him in. His mouth set in a thin angry line he silently hustled his partner out into the hospital corridor:

“What the HELL is going on now. Have you forgotten that Tasha can’t be stressed?!” He demanded.

Beth dropped her head. She had forgotten. But she now had three missing children to find:

“Mattie ran off.”

Tony sighed heavily: “Tell me everything.” He said.

Beth did so. When she was done, Tony shook his head incredulously:

“Are you seriously telling me you just totally dismissed the fact that your youngest daughter is scarred for life?! I’ll alert the hospital and start a search, you, you retrace your steps. When this is over Beth, find a mirror take a good long look at yourself. Go, and if you see Irene send her back here to Tasha.”

With that he stalked off; leaving Beth shocked.

• 2 weeks later...

Sally did as she was asked, and then leapt out of the car and joined Ric by Kim’s side. By sheer fluke, by luck or by the grace of a higher power Kim Hyde had stumbled up onto the roadway in front of them. Exhausted, Kim collapsed in a heap on the roadside. Ric grabbed the bottle of water from the door pocket and held it to Kim’s lips. All of the liquid was gone in seconds. Sally was already on her mobile:

“Yes Mr Stewart, it’s Kim. No, he hasn’t said anything yet. We’re about 15kms South East of the Long Star Creek. Hang on.”

She knelt down beside her friend: “Kim, its Sally, can you hear me? Are the others alive? When did you last see them? I know you’re weak but you need to tell me; Kim?!”

Kim raised his head: “All alive, dawn.” He whispered hoarsely.

As Sally passed the message on, Ric too was on his phone: “Ambulance? I need an ambulance about 15kms South East of the Long Star Creek; we’ve found a survivor from the helicopter crash. Yes, its Kim Hyde. Yes he’s conscious and speaking. He can walk too.”

Following the instructions he was given over the phone Ric grabbed a blanket from the car and put it around his friend, talking to him all the while:

“Here you go mate, I’m just going to put this around you, that’s it. The medics will be here any minute. Now, I know its hard mate, but can you tell us anything else? Is anyone hurt? Martha?” Ric fought not to sound desperate.

“Her wrist.” Kim coughed. “Kit’s leg is bad, Belle, a spider, Rob ok but weak pilot,…same. Was looking for water.” Another fit of coughing stopped him again.

By now Ric was fighting panic, his cousin and his ex-girlfriend were not only still out there, but now he knew that they were hurt! Ok, Martha didn’t sound too bad but the mere thought of Belle being bitten by a spider made his blood turn to ice. Instinctively, he turned to Sal who by now has passed that on as well, hung up and was trying her best to gently wipe the dust away from the wound on Kim’s face. He could tell from her wide eyes that the awful truth had dawned on her too. For now though, she was trying to appear calm for Kim’s sake.

“Kim, if we help you can you stand? We need to sit you in the car out of the sun, alright?”

Kim nodded his understanding. With his arm around Ric’s shoulder he got up, but staggered. Wishing heart and soul that Flynn were there with them, Sally ran to open the back door of the car and coming back put her arm around Kim’s waist.

Archived