Spiral III: Mirror Image.

Guest Natasha

CHAPTER TWENTY

Jacob stared at the words. Katherine was his mother? That woman who lives in a mental hospital? The woman who had tried to murder his mother?

“ It can’t be true.” He whispered.

“ But it is, that is a legal document.”

“ If she’s my mother, then you are really-“

“ Your auntie.” Laura smiled at him painfully.

“ But…why?”

“ You haven’t guessed by now?” she asked him and he shook his head.

“ Your mother was in a mental hospital when you were born. She was deemed an unfit mother, she would never take care of you. Samuel loved you more than anything in the world. He wasn’t about to give you up, so we came up with the perfect solution-that I would adopt you. I never regretted it-not once.”

“ Even though I wasn’t really your son?” Jacob asked.

Laura nodded, “ I think of you as my son…no question about it.”

“ Why didn’t you just tell me?”

“ I didn’t see any need to…until now. You must understand that your mother never wanted to hurt you. That was never her intention.”

I’m just taking back what’s mine. His mother’s cold words came flooding back to him. Now it all made sense!

“ She wanted to take your place…as my mother.” Jacob realized, “ She was taking back what’s hers-me.”

“ She hated us when it all happened. She kept vowing she would get you back but at the time I never took her threats seriously. Now I wish I had though.”

“ Mum, you couldn’t have prevented this. No one could have known her plans.”

“ At least one person did, that Dr. Ian Middleton.”

“ The one who was her accomplice?”

“ He confessed everything. She blackmailed into helping him-at first. But when he read about her history, he decided she was the victim in all of this. That she deserved to have her son back and was determined to help her. He didn’t care what happened to him, as long as she got you back.”

“ But even if she had succeeded…what would have happened if Morag discovered she was actually you? It would have been too late…you’d be dead.”

“ Let’s not dwell on that. It didn’t happen. We caught her just in time. When we were younger, she’d pretend to be me without my knowledge and I used to wonder how I used to get into trouble sometimes.”

Jacob nodded, “ But I’m your son,” he pointed out, “ I should have known. That’s all there is to it.” He stood up then, “ I’m getting something to eat…do you want anything?”

“ No, I’m right thanks.” Laura smiled at him. He seemed to have taken the news about his real parentage reasonably well, but perhaps it hadn’t quite sunk in yet.

Jacob left and Morag returned before visiting hours ended. Laura studied her girlfriend, Morag has been pretty quiet ever since all this stuff happened.

“ Nothing’s wrong,” Morag insisted when she asked her, “ Really.”

“ Morag, you can’t fool me. What’s up?”

Morag sighed and rubbed her forehead, “ I have a confession to make.”

“ Go on.” Laura didn’t like the sound of this.

Morag fidgeted, “ A few days ago, you…or rather, Katherine stayed over one night.”

Laura didn’t even blink.

“ I thought I was with you Laura.”

Laura stared at her. Morag slept with Katherine? Jealously swept thought her as she tried to not to think of the two of them together.

“ I really am sorry, but I thought I had the right twin.” Morag insisted.

“ Get out.” Laura whispered coldly.

“ Laura-“

“ Didn’t you hear what I said? Get out.”

Morag did as Laura requested. She leaned against the wall. She had really ruined things this time. And she knew Laura won’t ever trust her again.

• Replies 25
  • Created
  • Last Reply

CHAPTER TWENTY ONE

Two days later, Laura was released from the hospital and went home. She was resting in the lounge when the phone rang.

" Yes?"

" Is this Laura Tate?"

" Speaking."

" I'm Mrs. Mirabelle Taylor and I'm the executioner for your late husband's estate." The woman told her coldly.

Laura gripped the phone tightly. She'd forgotten about Sam's will. He had drawn it up just before Jacob was born.

" I would like to speak to you and your son about the will."

" It may have to be postponed, I just got out of hospital-"

" I can meet you at your apartment," Mrs. Taylor interrupted.

" All right," they arranged a time and Laura hung up, feeling somewhat unnerved.

" Who was that?" Jacob asked as he bought a cup of tea to his mother.

" Your father's lawyer…she's coming over to read the will."

" Are you even up to it?"

" It's just a reading."

4pm came and the lawyer arrived on time. Laura let her in and limped slowly back to the couch.

" Did something happen?" the lawyer asked.

" It's a long story." Laura replied and they left at that.

Jacob was about to leave but the lawyer asked him to stay-the will concerned them both.

Jacob tuned out when the lawyer when over the boring stuff. His mother poked him sharply in the ribs and he sat up a little straighter.

" I'll now read out his will," the lawyer droned on, and cleared her throat, " I, Samuel Matthew Tate, will leave my son, Jacob David Tate, one hundred thousand dollars. He can do what he likes with the money."

The lawyer stopped reading and Jacob stared at her.

So I get nothing. It appeared Sam changed the will during their marriage and had left his money to his son. It didn't surprise her the least and she didn't care.

" Jacob, you've just become a wealthy boy." His mother smiled at him, " Congratulations."

" How much do you say it was?"

" One hundred thousand dollars. That's his investments he had over the years."

Jacob could scarcely believe it. He came from a wealthy family but the money had belonged to his parents, he never saw a cent. But now he finally had some money of his own-and he knew exactly what he wanted to do with it.

" If it's okay…I'll like to give half to my mother." Jacob told the lawyer. The lawyer raised her eyebrows but didn't say a word.

" Jacob, you don't have to do that." Laura protested, "I don't need the money."

" No you don't need it," Jacob agreed staunchly, " but you deserve it. You've suffered a lot."

" I can arrange it," Mrs. Taylor put in helpfully, " What about the rest?"

Jacob hesitated, " I need to get something from my room first." He jumped up and disappeared for a few minutes. Then he returned with a couple of brochures.

" I want to go to boarding school in the city. It's won awards and everything-it has a great Science program." Jacob waited patiently as his mother skimmed through it. T

" Are you sure this is what you want?"

" We can use my money to pay for fees and stuff. I really want to go Mum."

" But…that means you'll be leaving Summer Bay."

The lawyer began gathering her stuff up together. She was finished her. She said goodbye to her clients and left.

Jacob turned back to his mother, " Mum, I'll only be in the city, not going to Perth! I can come back home during the holidays-the school is closed during those times."

" Well-"

" Please Mum? I think it's a good opportunity," Jacob knew he'd win his mother over with that line. He's been wanting to get out of this place since they arrived-and this was the golden opportunity. He had learned of the boarding school several weeks ago but thought it would just be a dream.

" I'll come with you." His mother decided.

" Where? To the city?"

" Why not? I have nothing to keep me here." Or no one. She added to herself.

" What about Morag?"

" We're finished." She told him and he was surprised at the news.

" So-"

" So, we're leaving Summer Bay." His mother declared. Jacob smiled to himself as she headed for the kitchen. Things were finally turning around-they were leaving this place and Morag for good.

No, not the last chapter, but its almost at the end....

Some scenes you may recognise from the show itself. I pinched a few.

For the disclaimer, see chapter one.

CHAPTER TWENTY TWO

Laura stood in the living room, surveying the chaotic mess that has suddenly erupted. It’s been almost a week since the reading of the will and already she had packed a few boxes. Jacob has helped a bit whenever he could. He kept lecturing her not to go overboard because she was still recovering from her wound.

She wrote Kitchen Appliances on a box before grabbing an empty one from the pile. Give it another two days and they should be all done.

Jacob was leaving for the city tomorrow so he could start school on Monday. The principal was happy for him to start then as they’ve had a few drop outs and needed replacements. He had only missed three weeks of school and Jacob shouldn’t have too much trouble catching up. She would head for the city during mid week-next Wednesday while she tied up a few loose ends.

There is nothing to keep me here. Laura thought. She briefly thought of Morag but the thought quickly vanished.

She supposed she should say goodbye to Irene, Beth and others but didn’t really feel the need to-they weren’t close friends, just people who lived in Summer Bay.

Her stomach grumbled and she decided to have some lunch at the diner, her fridge was completed cleaned out, so there was no food in the house.

You can’t avoid everyone…you have to say goodbye to them. It’s the right thing to do. She lamented as she headed out.

Laura was surprised to hear everyone already knew about her moving. Irene asked her about it when she ordered her lunch.

“ It’s all over town,” Irene replied shrugging, “ You must know how this town works by now. Someone says something to someone and it spreads…kind of like Chinese Whispers.”

You can’t even have a private conservation anymore with someone listening in. Laura thought, annoyed. It was no wonder Jacob always had a grudge against Summer Bay.

Laura left and a few minutes later, Morag entered the diner. She had seen her ex leave and had wanted to say something…but Laura just stormed on past as if she wasn’t even there.

Morag ordered a coffee and sat at a corner table to read the paper.

An hour later, Irene watched Morag from the counter. Morag hadn’t been the same since she and Laura had parted. Now she was sitting there, staring at the same page and not touching her coffee.

I wonder if she knows Laura is leaving? Irene wondered. Morag had been a good friend to her over the past year and Irene wanted Morag to be happy-she deserved to be happy.

Irene decided it was up to her to do something about it-she had to try.

Morag looked up to see Irene putting a muffin down-apple and cinnamon, her favourite.

“ I didn’t order this,” she told Irene.

“ I know…I thought you could use some cheering up.” Irene replied brightly, “ It’s on the house.”

Morag tried not to pull a face. She knew Irene meant well, but since when was it any of her business?

“ Thank you,” Morag picked at the muffin, she really wasn’t hungry.

“ Have you heard the latest?” Irene asked.

“ What is it this time?” Morag asked, bored. She was probably still the main topic in everyone’s conversations.

“ Laura’s leaving the Bay.” Irene said and winced.

Morag glanced up, “ When?” she asked tightly, without expression.

“ Next Wednesday. Apparently Jacob will be starting boarding school on Monday-that one in the city.”

“ Irene, why are you telling me this?”

“ I-I just thought you’d want to know.”

“ Why?” Morag demanded.

“ Um…that maybe you can stop her from leaving.” Irene paused, “ You can tell me to pull my head in Morag, but nothing is really keeping Laura here. Unless you do something about it.”

“ And why should I do something about it?” Morag countered.

“ Because you seem to be giving up. And giving up is not Morag Bellingham’s style. I’ve learned in the past that if you really love someone, you have to fight for them.” Irene then headed back to the counter and glanced back at Morag. She hoped her words got through to her…or Morag could lose Laura for good.

“ I can’t believe you’re really going.” Tim frowned as he and Jacob walked to his place after school.

“ I know…I can’t either.” Jacob said, “ and I can’t wait. I’ve always wanted to leave this place, but mum didn’t. Now she finally sees my way.”

Tim kicked at the sand and didn’t say anything. Without Jacob around, the Bay would become boring. His best friend was dead and Jacob was leaving. Why did everyone have to leave him? What has he done wrong?

You’re a bully that’s why, a little voice reminded him. “ You will keep in touch won’t you?”

“ Sure. Emails and we can chat online.” Jacob nodded. He’d actually miss Tim. Sure Tim had given him a hard time when he first arrived in the Bay but he had turned out to be a loyal friend. When other kids had hassled him about his mother and her choice of partners, Tim had stuck up for him.

“ Cool.” Tim grinned and they headed into the Diner. Morag Bellingham was there and Tim glared in her direction. He hasn’t forgotten her, not by a long shot.

Time flew by and it was Wednesday already. Jacob was in the city, at the new school and he was loving it. He’s already made a new friend- a girl this time. Laura hung up the phone and smiled to herself It sounded as though Jacob had a crush on this girl-her name was Rebecca.

The boxes were packed in the trailer she had hired. The furniture had belonged with the apartment. She left the keys on the counter for the landlord, grabbed her bag and headed out to the car park.

Morag Bellingham glanced at the photograph of herself and Laura. She had been tempted several times to rip it into shreds but always held onto it.

Just admit it, you love Laura…always have. Morag told herself. Irene’s advice came flooding back and she wined. Irene was right, she had to do something.

“ Flamin’ mongrels.” Alf grumbled as he entered the house carrying a newspaper. Things hadn’t been going well for him since he got out of prison. He can’t even go outside without getting a stare or two. It drove him mad.

His sister was standing near the table, gazing down at something. He tried to get her attention but was unresponsive.

“ Morag?” he called again. She looked up this time.

“ What?” she snapped, stuffing something into her handbag.

“ What’s up?” he asked her.

“ Um….nothing. I have to go and…do something. I’ll be back in a little while.” Morag said and left.

Laura wasn’t at her apartment, meaning she had just left. If Morag hurried, she could make it to the outskirts of the town.

CHAPTER TWENTY THREE

Laura sat at the picnic table, near the Welcome To Summer Bay sign and ate her lunch. It was nearly 1pm and she was famished. Driving always made her hungry.

She popped the last bit of her ham and cheese sandwich into her mouth and studied the road map again.

Morag stared at the road ahead, it seemed endless. She had another half hour to go before she reached the very familiar-but tacky-welcome sign. She prayed Laura would be there, or at least on her way there. She kept a close eye out for Laura’s car.

She was startled when she heard sirens behind her. She glanced through the review mirror and groaned, it was the police. What could they possibly want with her?

She reluctantly pulled over and waited til a police officer walked over to her car. She wound her window down and the officer poked his head through the window.

It was Constable Jack Holden.

“ Good afternoon Mrs. Bellingham,” he greeted her, “ Do you have a minute?”

“ I don’t have a minute.” Morag replied curtly. I don’t have a minute to spare! She wanted to shout at him.

“ Are you aware you were going over the speed limit of this area?” he asked.

“ No I wasn’t. I’m terribly sorry…I’ll be more careful.” Morag said, “ Now, if that was all?”

“ Actually, I have to write you ticket, it is the law.” Jack pointed out as he opened a pad.

“ Fine, just do whatever you have to do.” Morag seethed, “ but I need you to hurry. I’m in a bit of a rush.”

He wrote her a ticket an she snatched it from him.

“ Thank you.”

“ Have a good day.” Jack said and didn’t get a reply. Morag drove off-going the right speed limit.

Laura got up and stretched. She had a half hour break and it was time to get moving when her phone rang. It was her brother.

She told him the latest news and he preceded to tell her the latest of his news. He also added their sister was back in the hospital under 24 hour guard.

“ I know it’s not the last I’ll see of her.” Laura told him, “ And I told Jacob the truth.”

“ You told him?” Cameron sounded stunned, “ Whatever happened to the agreement that we were going to wait til he was eighteen?”

“ I felt it was owed to him. It would explain to him why his mother did what she did. He was miffed at first but in the end understood.”

“ I guess it was the right thing to do.” Cameron agreed, “ so when are you coming to see us when you get back to the city?”

“ After I’ve settled in,” Laura told him, “ I’d love to catch up with Linda and the girls.” Linda was his wife, the girls were his three daughters.

“ We’ll invite you and Jacob over to dinner.” Cameron said brightly and they began making arrangements. It was nice to be in touch with her big brother-the first time in a long time. Laura never had much patience for him; when they were growing up he had always been weak-willed.

She glanced at the road and saw a silver car heading her way. It looked very familiar. She frowned. It couldn’t be.

The silver car got closer and her face fell…it was Morag. She had found out after all and had come to stop her. Morag got out of the car and hurried over.

“ I’m glad I caught you,” Morag said, relief written all over her face, “ I came to-“

“ To stop me?” Laura interrupted, “ I’m sorry but nothing you do or say will make me change my mind. I’m going.”

“ I came to apologize.” Morag continued, “ I should have realized I had the wrong twin that time. It was foolish of me and I’m very sorry I hurt you.”

Put yourself in her shoes, Laura told herself and did. She winced, it wasn’t Morag’s fault. It never was. She had just been jealous and over reacted.

She told Morag this, “ I’m sorry I got angry,” she said and her face softened. Morag felt a small glimmer of hope.

“ Do you forgive me?” Morag took her hands in hers and Laura didn’t pull away. “ Can we start over?”

“ I’m not sure…there’s been so much hurt, “ Laura said softly, “ It may be too late.”

“ It’s never too late.” Morag said and firmly believed this. Before Laura could utter another word, Morag put her arm around Laura’s waist and drew her closer.

“ I love you.” She said simply before covering Laura’s mouth with her own. Laura body melted, and so did her heart. She loved Morag-she never stopped. “ I forgive you,” she murmured between kisses, “ I love you too.”

They stood by the cars, talking things through.

“ I’ll delay a week,” she told Morag, “ while you finalize things in the Bay. Then we can both head for the city.”

“ You still want to live in the city…even though we are back together?” Morag asked in surprise.

“ Of course. Jacob’s there. Unless you don’t want to leave the Bay?”

“ No…I’ll come and live with you and the City. I’m getting a bit tired of Summer Bay. A new start would be good for me too. As long as it’s with you.” Morag realized she sounded a bit mushy and her face flushed.

“ All right then. In one week, we’ll be living in the Bay-together.”

Second last chapter...then I'll start thinking about the fourth part. Some scenes you may recongise again, because I borrowed a few-when Morag was involved with Bob Radcliffe.

----------------

CHAPTER TWENTY-FOUR

Jacob was not happy to hear Morag had weaseled her way into his mother's life.

" So, I'll be delaying the trip to the city for a few days."

" Why?" he winged.

" So Morag can finish things here." His mother sounded happy.

" Oh…well as long as you are happy." He said lamely.

Laura always put her son's needs first, but this time she felt as though she should put herself first for a change. Jacob didn't really need her anymore-he was at boarding school and living in the dorms on campus. She wondered why she was even moving to the city-he could always come home during weekends and holidays.

Why am I leaving? Morag has family here. She's giving up a lot by coming with you-you owe her to stay.

Morag answered her phone and was surprised to find it was Bob Radcliff calling her.

" Why did you call?" she demanded him. She'd been doing some paperwork in the living room waiting for Laura to call.

" I called, because I want your help."

" With what?" she didn't like the sound of this.

" You want to find out who killed Josh West…well, I have the evidence. I was at the council chamber that night he was murdered."

" Doing what?"

" Taking photos like you asked me too. But not just of Josh…someone else left the offices that night. He's the killer."

" Are you sure?"

" Positive."

" And you want my help because…?"

" You want your named cleared don't you? I can give you these photos for three thousand bucks."

" Three grand!" Morag exploded, " I won't give that much to you Bob."

" Oh yes you will-if you wanna clear your name." Bob sounded pretty darn smug. He was right-the police still thought she had something to do with killing Josh-getting these photos will be just the thing to prove them wrong.

" How soon can you get the money together?" Radcliff asked her.

" I have three grand in the apartment safe…I can get it to you this afternoon."

" Good-meet me at the picnic spot on Gordon Street. And don't be silly enough to bring the cops-or I won't be a very happy chappy."

Alfred stood in the living room, puzzled. Morag had acted very bizarre when she left just now. He hope she was ok.

There was a knock on the door and he looked up, " Laura, come on in." he greeted her.

" Hi Alf. Is Morag home?"

" Actually, she just left."

" She did? Do you know where she went?"

" No-she left in a bit of a hurry." Alf explained, " do you want to wait for her?"

" Thanks-we were meant to meet here-why would she take off like this?" she asked as Alf made them both a cuppa.

" I have no idea." He was about to add Morag was up to something but thought better of it. He didn't want to get his sister in trouble with Laura-they just got back together.

Her meeting with Bob had backfired when the cops caught them out. She had sat in the interrogation room being blasted at by Peter During the interview, Bob called, demanding to know what happened. They arranged another meeting, but this time, Peter and his partner Lara Fitzgerald would be nearby, listening in. She wasn't happy to be wearing a wire, but really had no choice. In exchange for her help, Peter had agreed to drop all charges against her.

The second meeting didn't go well either-Bob discovered she had a wire and could have hurt her but ran when he heard the cops coming.

" Damn it!" Peter swore, kicking at the rubbish bin in his office, " We were so close!" he whirled on Morag, " What happened in there?"

" You heard what happened-he realized I was wearing a wire. I did the best I could!"

" Well, your best wasn't good enough was it?" Peter answered back, furious.

" Detective it wasn't Mrs. Bellingham's fault." His partner intervened.

" Thanks to you, there's a killer out there walking free!" Peter yelled at her before he was told there'd been a sighting of Radcliff.

Morag sat in the waiting area, furious with herself. She had stuffed up completely-they were nowhere near close to solving the murder case. Then she was told there was no sign of Bob and there was blood at the scene.

Oh my God. She thought, I killed him.

Morag slowly entered the house and checked her phone-Laura had called twice and she felt guilty for ignoring the calls-more guilt on top of everything else.

" Morag!" Laura jumped up when she saw her, " You look awful. Are you all right?"

" Yes…you ran out of here like the house was on fire." Alfred added, " What's going on?"

" I'll tell you what's going on-because of me, a man could be dead." She sat down, kicking her shoes off.

" What do you mean?" Laura asked and she told them the whole sordid story.

" You were only trying to help." Alfred assured her but she could not be consoled.

Morag was still shaken up the following day as she walked downstairs, carrying some luggage. She was even more determined to leave-she needed to get out of the Bay to clear her head.

" But you have family here." Alfred protested.

" I'll only be going to the city Alfred. I'll call." Morag reminded him as she gathered her work files together. Last night Laura had said she'd stay for her-but Morag was adamant about moving.

" So there's no chance of changing your mind?"

" Nope. I need to get out of this place Alfred." She paused, " I'll be staying with Laura-she's what I need right now."

" The kids will miss you." Alfred said gruffly.

" Hmm." Morag will miss them too, but she'll keep in touch. She'd even miss her brother but wouldn't tell him that.

" Who the Flamin' hell I'm going to argue with now?" he complained after a moment of silence.

" Oh, I'm sure you will find someone."

Author's Note: Last chapter!

EPILOUGE

Morag carried her luggage to the car where Laura was waiting. Laura's car was in the city, at her new apartment. Morag had not told everyone she would actually be living with Laura. The only people who knew was Alfred and Laura's son. At least Jacob wasn't going to live with them full time-just during the holidays. He would be living on campus.

" I'll call and let you know we got there safely." She told her brother. They said goodbye and she climbed into the car. Laura was at the wheel.

" Are you sure about this?" Laura asked, " You can always change your mind." Morag just gave her a Look, then leaned over to kiss her on the cheek. Laura started the engine and they drove.

The Come Back Again Soon sign whizzed past them-they were now officially out of Summer Bay-and Laura didn't give the town a second glance.

She was not going to come back here in a hurry.

------------------------------

She stared out of the window as memories plagued her. They had not won, she was going to get free and finish what she started. She was going to claim back her son-no matter the cost.

Link to comments thread.

Archived