Spiral III: Mirror Image.

Guest Natasha

AUTHOR'S NOTE: I know this fic isn't finished yet but I couldn't help myself and post a litle teaser for my next fic. I had to pull the plug on the original plot and came up with a totally new idea:

Secret Attraction-(Spiral, Part IV)

Morag suspects Laura is devloping feelings for someone in the Bay. Is their relationship about to come to an end? Not if Morag can help it! She will fight for the woman she loves...will she win?

CHAPTER TEN

Kath stared at herself in the mirror as she imitated her sister. It was perfect, she has mastered her sister’s body language, mannerisms, and her personality. She almost believed she was actually Laura.

Its not long now. Kath thought as she brushed her shiny brown hair. She had to get her once long brown hair cut to match her sister’s style. It had to be the right length, the right style. Just be patient and your turn will come. You will get the life you deserve. She wiped off her red lipstick-Laura never wore much makeup. She straightened her turquoise silk shirt and black Capri pants, exactly like the ones she saw her sister wore today. She had gone shopping and have replaced her entire wardrobe. Her sister preferred casual dress-things she felt comfortable in.

Kath picked up her hand bag-which was a leather backpack. Identical to the one Laura owned of course. She gave herself a confident smile before leaving her apartment. It was the first time she’s ventured out without her baseball cap and sunnies.

Kath entered the diner and went straight to the counter. Colleen Smart was at the counter. Colleen Smart, Summer Bay’s Resident Gossip and Busybody.

“ Good afternoon Laura.” Colleen greeted her, “ We have just baked some apple and cinnamon muffins…I know they are your favourite.”

“ I’ll take one.” Personally she couldn’t stand muffins.

“ And here’s a blueberry chocolate chip one for Jacob.” Colleen said as she handed her the takeaway bag.

At that moment, two strangers walked in and stared at Kath. Kath bristled and glared back. They walked away, whispering to themselves.

“ I’ll have one coffee please.”

“ Takeaway?”

“ Yes please.” Kath would have liked to stay but couldn’t risk the chance of her sister walking in. She was taking a big gamble now just by ordering.

Colleen got her coffee and Kath left the diner. That was when she got an idea. She got into her car and drove to her sisters apartment. From her vantage point, she caught a glimpse of her sister and Morag Bellingham walking down the stairs. Her eyebrows shot up when Morag kissed Laura on the lips before climbing into her car and driving off.

Kath knew all about Morag’s affair with her sister and they had broken up…and now it seemed they were together again. Kath cursed herself for being away during that time, but she had urgent matters to attend to.

A few minutes later, Laura got into her own car and drove off. Kath got out and headed for Laura’s apartment. She took a key out of her purse, slipped it into the lock and pushed the door open.

“ Hello?” she called out. It was Friday and Jacob was away at school but he would home in less than two hours. It gave her the perfect opportunity to explore the apartment. After all, this place would be hers soon enough.

And what an apartment! Tastefully decorated with modern décor and plush white furniture…it even had a fireplace. Her sister was obviously very wealthy…and yet she still had a part time job as a freelance writer for newspapers and magazines. Kath knew being a freelance writer didn’t pay all that much so there was no doubt her sister was left a considerable sum of money from their late father.

Kath walked through the living room and into the hallway. The first door was the bathroom, the next one was Laura’s. It was the biggest room of the whole place with a king sized bed, LCD TV, maple oak furniture and a laptop computer resting on a corner desk. The carpet was lilac and felt so soft underneath her feet. She peered through the window, she had a view of the hills.

She began rifling through Laura’s drawers and found something that would help her immensely-Laura’s journal. She opened it to page one, it was dated from Christmas last year. She skipped several entries to the day she and Jacob moved to Summer Bay. She read a few entries until she run out of time. She pocketed the journal and left the apartment, vowing to spend more time there.

“ I’m going to Tim’s tonight.” Jacob told his mother. He was still sulking about the other night and has barely said two words to her since.

“ Before you go…I really want to apologize-“

“ Save it , I don’t want to hear it.” Jacob snapped.

“ There’s no need to speak to your mother like that,” Laura retorted, “ I am trying to set things right.”

“ Can’t it wait until I get back?” Jacob asked, grabbing his backpack and heading for the door.

Laura grabbed his arm, halting him in mid-stride, “ You will sit down and listen to me Jacob David Tate.”

Laura told him her reasons for keeping her relationship a secret and asked what he would do if he was in her shoes.

He dug his toe into the carpet, feeling a bit ashamed. “ I would keep it a secret too.” He mumbled. He looked up, “ I’m sorry Mum. I didn’t mean to go off the rails. It just…you hurt me when you kept it from me.”

“ I know and I’m very sorry.” Laura hugged her son, “ Friends again?”

Jacob nodded and returned the hug. The anger he felt was long gone. He never stayed angry at his mother for long. But that still didn’t mean he liked her with that witch Morag Bellingham. Something had to be done about it…but what?

Jacob left then and Laura received a call from Morag. Laura gleefully told her she had the apartment to themselves. Morag was pleased about the news and told her to wear something nice…they would be going out for dinner. They made arrangements for Morag to pick her up about 7pm.

Laura went into her bedroom and stopped in her tracks. For some reason she had an eerie feeling that someone has been in here.

Don’t be silly. No one has been home and Jacob hardly ever comes in here. He respects my privacy. But as she looked around, the feeling had gotten stronger.

She shrugged and tried to dismiss the feeling as she went into her dresser drawer to get her journal…but it wasn’t there.

Now don’t panic, it has to be around here. She searched her bedroom, getting panicky by the minute when she practically empted her drawers and closet trying to find it. She looked in the other rooms but her worst nightmare was confirmed, her journal-filled with imitate thoughts-was gone.

• Replies 25
  • Created
  • Last Reply

CHAPTER ELEVEN

Laura stared at herself in the mirror. She wore something simple but elegant, a red silk dress. She hadn’t worn a dress in a long time. She dug into her wardrobe and found a pair of black low-heeled pumps to go with it. She brushed her hair and was basically ready to go. She grabbed her purse and waited for Morag to pick her up.

They went to an Italian restaurant in Yabbie Creek. It was wonderful spending time with Morag, with no one judging them.

They left the restaurant around 9pm, arm in arm. As they walked out the door they heard a loud stage-whisper, “ So that’s who the other woman is.”

Morag froze and looked around but couldn’t see anyone she knew. She continued walking out, holding her head high.

Laura closed the door and Morag went to turn the kettle on. Laura did another search and still no journal.

“ Are you all right?” Morag asked her as she watched her girlfriend rifle through the drawers in the living room.

“ Something important has gone missing,” Laura explained, “ Its vital I must get it back. I can’t have just lost it…its always been in my bedroom.”

“ What?”

“ My journal.” Laura bit her lip, “ You may think it sounds silly, but my journal is private and if anyone reads it…its like an invasion of privacy.”

“ It’s not silly at all. Where did you have it last?”

“ In my room.”

“ Than perhaps you put in your handbag by mistake or its in the car…”

“ It isn’t. I checked.” Laura sighed, “ The only explanation I can come up with is Jacob. But there is no way Jacob would steal it.”

I don’t know about that. Morag could not help but think. Jacob blew hot and cold and there’s no telling what that boy is up to.

“ I don’t think a stranger would break into my apartment and steal my journal. So Jacob must have…I don’t want to blame him though. We’ve just been through an argument…” Laura trailed off, deep in thought.

Morag bought their cups of coffee and distracted Laura by pulling her into an embrace…

“ Can I ask you something?” Tim asked Jacob as they sat in their room and waited for the others to show. Everyone was coming, and even David. Tim had something in store for David. They were going to humiliate him before officially throwing him out of the gang. It was what he deserved.

“ What?” Jacob asked as he looked through Tim’s massive CD collection.

“ Why don’t you like being called Jake? When I first called you Jake, you nearly decked me one…and people call me a bully.”

“ It’s what he used to call me.” Jacob explained as he put on a Eskimo Joe CD.

“ Oh, you mean your dad?”

Jacob nodded and the subject was dropped. Tim knew not to press when it came to Jacob’s dad.

The other arrived and they all donned jackets before meeting David at the beach. David was waiting for them, looking worried.

So he should be. Jacob thought as they circled him.

“ W-what do you guys have planned for me?” David demanded, trying to sound tough but he was literally trembling.

“ Jacob, it’s up to you.” Tim reminded Jacob.

“ He’s going to do a nudie run.”

There was a long, stunned silence. “ You’ve got to be kidding me.” David finally said.

“ He has to run through the surf club, Noah’s Bar then finish at the diner.” Jacob tried to hid his grin. This was going to be great. And he had bought his camera with him.

Fine.” David said through clenched teeth. So they were going to publicly humiliate him before banishing him. His worst nightmare was about to come true. He stripped , leaving his clothes in a heap on the sand.

Jacob took out his digital camera and clicked. Oh wonderful, they were going to take photos.

David did his run, much to the disgust and amusement from people. He finished at the diner, running through it.

“ Stone the flaming crows, put some clothes on lad!” Alf Stewart shouted at him before he ran out, puffing slightly from the exercise.

David ran back to the beach and put his clothes back on hurriedly, close to tears. He wasn’t about to let them see him cry. He wouldn’t give them the satisfaction.

“ Give me your arm band.” Tim instructed and David handed him the black arm band, worn by everyone in the group. He tore it in half and threw it into the water.

Without another word, David walked off, without a backwards glance.

Kath walked from Noah’s Bar and was about to head for her car when she heard a couple of women laughing. She knew them as Beth Hunter and Irene Roberts. Not close friends of Laura, just mere acquaintances.

“ Oh hi Laura,” Irene greeted her before Kath had a chance to duck into the car. She swore under her breath before plastering a smile on her face.

“ Hello Irene…Beth. What’s so funny?”

“ Oh we just saw one of the boys do a nudie run through the surf club. Colleen Smart almost had a heart attack when she saw him.”

“ Who?”

“ David Young…one of Tim’s mates.” Irene paused, “ I think they have some kind of dare thing going on. “

“ Oh. Well I better be going.” Kath smiled at them before climbing into her car. As she drove away, she felt…exhilarated. This was easier then she thought it would be.

Kath was about to unlock the door when she saw it was already unlocked. She frowned, pushing the door open. She could have sworn she locked it.

Someone’s in here. She thought as she grabbed a kitchen knife. She went into the living room and froze.

“ What the hell are you doing here?” she demanded the intruder.

“ Looking for you Katherine.” The intruder replied. He was calm, despite the knife in her hand.

“ You shouldn’t be here.”

“ And neither should you.” The intruder reminded her.

“ How did you find me?”

“ It was easy…I knew this was the first place you’d look up when you got out.” The doctor replied, “ I’ve seen the room…it’s not going to work you know.”

“ It is going to work-my plan is foolproof. No one in this stupid town knows Laura well enough….” She tightened the grip of the knife as she advanced towards the doctor.

“ What about her son? Think you’re going to fool him?” the doctor wanted to know.

“ Yes!” Kath screamed loosing control .She made a lunge for the doctor and he fell backwards. The knife fell to the floor. But the doctor was dead.

CHAPTER TWELVE

Kath took several breaths as she stormed back into her apartment. After getting rid of the body, she went into the bathroom and washed her hands, watching the clear water turn red. She was furious, who did that doctor think he was, breaking into her home and invading her privacy? Thank goodness she got to him before he told anyone about her.

Unless…they were ALL looking for her like he was and knew just where to look? She stared at herself in the mirror. They can't be looking for her…she was released from the hospital on good behavior, they have no reason be worried!

You're safe. Just keep and eye out for anyone from the hospital. Kath assured herself as she dried her hands. She noticed there were a few bloodstains on her shirt. She ripped it off and threw it into the trashcan.

The following morning, Jacob and Tim sat in computer studies talking in low voices. Tim had just told Jacob he hasn't seen David yet.

" No whispering in the back row!" their teacher snapped, clapping once. Jacob straightened and stared at his computer monitor, trying to figure out the morning's exercise…when a picture of David running naked through the diner popped up on the screen-in full view.

" Eww!" one of the girls exclaimed, " David's on my screen in the nude!"

" He's on all the computers." The teacher exclaimed in disgust, " Who is responsible for this?"

There was silence. Nobody was going to own up. Tim glanced at Jacob with a little knowing smile. This was Jacob's last revenge on the guy-it was obvious. But how did he put it on a computer so that it would show up on all the computers in the lab? He was one smart dude-Tim admired him for it.

A few of the kids chuckled. Someone knocked on the door then and the teacher answered it. It was the Principal, and he was angry.

" Who is responsible for putting that…image on the school's server?"

" Is that how they did it?" The teacher asked Barry Hyde.

" Yes, he made it so it shows up on every computer screen in the school." Hyde looked around at the room, " Jacob and Tim. Come to my office."

Jacob had no idea why Hyde signaled them out from the rest of the class, but they followed Barry into his office.

" We don't know how it happened." Tim protested, " Why would we put a photo of him in the computer network?"

" To get some kind of revenge maybe?" Barry studied each boy in turn. He knew David was their friend and this was obviously some kind of prank.

" I'll find out who did this. First the lockers and now the computer network. When I find it out who is responsible, it will be immediate suspension. You are dismissed."

" Good job mate." Tim told Jacob on their way back to class.

" What do you mean?" Jacob asked innocently.

" I know its you who did it…don't try and deny it. It's your final revenge right?"

" Maybe…maybe not." Jacob shrugged.

" Well, I thought it was pretty cool. If only David was in our class, I would have loved to see his face."

" It's not the end of it." Jacob couldn't help but say slyly.

" You have other plans for the poor guy?"

" It's what he deserves." Jacob said firmly.

Jacob and Tim went to the diner for lunch. Tim noticed a few kids were looking at something on the bulletin board and laughing. Tim wandered over to have a look-it was an A4 sized colour photograph of David-in the nude on the beach.

" Jacob, you are cruel!" Tim said laughing as Jacob grinned.

" Here he comes." Someone stage-whispered. They looked up to see David walk in. He looked okay, he probably didn't see himself on a school computer or he wouldn't have showed up at the diner.

" What's everyone looking at?" David demanded Tim who simply ignored him. David looked over his shoulder and went white. For a minute Tim thought David would faint.

" Who did this?" David yelled, loosing his control. He ripped the photo down and tore it into shreds. He glared at Jacob, " It was you wasn't Tate? You were taking photos of me last night."

Jacob just shrugged, " It's what you deserve." He told him, echoing his early comment.

David stormed off. He hated Jacob Tate. Hated him with every bone in his body. He'll get his own revenge one day.

David staggered out of the boys toilets, trying to stem the flow of blood pouring out his nose. He wiped his sleeve across his eyes, they felt sticky with the cut on his forehead. His whole body hurt and knew he'd be black and blue in the morning. He leaned against a wall and the world spun dizzily around him-then he slumped to the ground, unconscious.

Tim and Jacob sat in Science and noticed David not turning up. Jacob wasn't surprised. If it had been him, he'd be lying low too.

At the end of school, someone ran up to them and asked if they heard the latest.

" No, what?"

" David got beaten up!" the kid said breathlessly, " It happened outside the surf club. He's in a bad state…had to go to hospital."

" Who beat him up?" Tim asked curiously.

" Dunno." The kid shrugged and ran off to tell the next group of kids. Tim turned to Jacob.

" What…you think I did it?" Jacob exclaimed.

" It's possible." Tim's eyes widened. Who was this guy? He's changed quite a bit from the nerdy kid who first came to the Bay, " You were away for a bit during PE."

" I went to the toilet." Jacob's eyes narrowed, " I did not beat him up. I got my revenge."

" Okay, okay." Tim held up his hands in surrender. But he'd be watching Jacob very carefully from now on.

CHAPTER THIRTEEN

That night, news spread around the Bay like wildfire-David Young had died in hospital. Tim found Jacob in the diner and told him the news. " How did he die?" Jacob asked.

" It says in the paper, he was suffocated." Tim said, " so he didn't die from his injuries…he was killed."

Jacob glared at Tim, " And you think I did it don't you?"

" I didn't say a word," Tim shrugged.

" But you're thinking it." Jacob said, pushing his plate away. Everyone knew he and David hated each other. So it wouldn't be long for the cops to haul him down to the cop shop to question him.

Tim slid into the booth and swiped one of Jacob's chips. " So anyway, the funeral's next week. The whole school's going to have a memorial service for him."

" But why? It's not if nobody liked him."

" That doesn't matter." Tim said, " I'm not going, are you?"

" I think it's better if went...if we weren't at the memorial service, it might make us look guilty."

Tim frowned, " I hadn't thought of that."

Later that night, Jacob arrived home to find his mother on the couch. Morag wasn't around-for once.

" How was the diner?"

" Same as always. Did you hear the latest?"

" If it's about Morag-"

" It has nothing to do with her. It's about David."

" Your friend?"

" He was never my friend. He got beaten up and he died in hospital tonight."

" Oh, the poor kid. The poor kid's family…such a waste of life." Laura murmured.

Not really. Jacob wanted to say but held his tongue, " He didn't die from injuries…he was killed."

Laura stared at him in shock, " Who would want to kill a fifteen year old boy?"

" He wasn't well liked Mum…he had a lot of enemies." Jacob told her.

Laura glanced at her watch, " I might go for an early night. You'll be ok?"

" I'll just be watching TV. Good night."

The next afternoon, Jacob went to school, Laura was alone. She dialed Morag's number and they made the usual arrangements. She disappeared into her bedroom and Laura sent Morag a text message. They've been spending quite a bit of time together. She had gotten an idea that she and Morag could go away for a weekend. There was a long weekend coming up. She went to her corner desk and opened her drawer. She looked down and gasped-there was her journal. Right where she left it.

It couldn't have been here all this time. Laura thought, picking it up. I searched the whole place for it. I looked in this drawer…didn't I? She turned around and gasped, dropping her book. She was staring into a face identical to her own.

" Hello mirror image." Her twin greeted her and smiled.

CHAPTER FOURTEEN

Laura walked backwards and bumped into the sliding door that lead to the balcony. She had nowhere else to go.

“ What are you doing here?” she whispered, hand to her throat.

Kath stepped closer and took something out of her pocket. Laura stared at it, it was a knife, its blade still had blood on it. Which meant, Kath had killed before.

“ I came to get back what’s mine.” Kath said, “ so if you cooperate, this should go smoothly.”

“ What should go smoothly?” Laura demanded.

Kath just smiled and the last thing Laura saw was Kath’s fist flying at her face. Then there was nothing but darkness.

Kath stared at the still form of her sister, panting. She went to the kitchen and cleaned her knife until it was blood-free. She stuck it in the butcher block with all the other knifes and eyed it. No one will notice a thing. She then went back to the living room, her sister was so still, Kath thought for a minute she might be dead. She knelt and checked her pulse-there was one but it was faint. She smiled to herself as she dialed a number.

“ Yes?”

“ It’s done. You can take her away now.” She told her accomplice.

“ And if I refuse?”

“ We’ve been thought this, if you back out now, I will hunt you down and kill you. Not only that, I will kill everyone you love.” She let the threat sink in for a moment.

“ All right…I’ll be there soon.”

“ Hurry, we don’t want the son coming and finding his mother like this.” Kath reminded her accomplice before abruptly hanging up.

Ten minutes later and no more, her accomplice arrived. They hid Laura and Kath went over the plan one more time. Her accomplice left with her sister.

Kath went into the bedroom to change. She brushed her hair and took off her nail polish, lipstick and mascara. She then dialed a number.

“ Hello sweetie.” She said sweetly. She had Laura’s voice down to a tee.

“ Hello,” Morag replied, surprised but pleased to hear from Laura so soon. “ Anything wrong?”

“ Oh no, I just wanted to hear your voice…and I have a great idea. Do you think you can get this weekend off?”

“ I might be able to pull a few strings…why do you ask?”

“ I thought we could go away for the weekend…it’s a long weekend. And Jacob might be able to stay with one of his friends…or even at Irene’s. I’m sure he won’t mind.”

“ All right, I’ll try and organize it, but I can’t promise anything.”

“ That’s fine.” Kath agreed readily. They said goodbye and hung up. Now the real test was about to begin…

“ Hi Mum,” Jacob greeted his mother, who was sitting on the couch watching TV. Which was surprised, she usually worked at the laptop in the afternoons for the magazine.

“ Hello Jacob.” She patted the space next to her, “ Sit down, I need to talk to you.”

“ About what?” he asked cautiously. Did she suspect him too?

“ Just sit.” And he did.

“ How would you feel if I told you Morag and I might be going away for the weekend?”

Jacob groaned, “ Do we really have to discuss your love life? It’s kind of…gross.”

“ I need to know if you feel ok about it. We’ll be in the middle of nowhere with no communication to the outside world. So I need to know if you’ll be ok staying at your friends or even at Irene’s?”

“ I’ll stay at Tim’s His mum loves having me over, she says the place isn’t so quiet when it’s just her and Tim.” Jacob said, “ I’ll go ask her for permission.”

“ You do that.” Kath nodded, Jacob had accepted his mother’s relationship better than she thought. When he headed for the kitchen to call Mrs. Morally, she hid her smile. The first hurdle was successful…Jacob fully believes she was his mother.

But the time to finish Laura wasn’t planned until after the second hurdle…fooling Morag Bellingham.

Author's Note. Pardon for the lack of updates...been having ISP troubles. :angry:

CHAPTER FIFTEEN

She wanted to stretch her legs to badly. They were getting cramps. She has been in a fetal position for awhile now. She knew she was in the trunk of the car but had no idea where she was heading.

The car stopped suddenly and the trunk popped open. It wasn't Kath but someone entirely different. The accomplice wore a balaclava. How could Kath have an accomplice? Was Kath that determined to take her life and assume it as her own?

She can't fool the ones you love…Jacob and Morag will know she is not you. She tried to assure herself as the accomplice landed down and roughly hauled her out of the trunk. She landed in a heap on the ground and refused to move.

The accomplice grabbed her arm and lifted her to her feet. " I wish you would cooperate," the accomplice grumbled, " It would make things easier on both of us."

Laura glared at the accomplice, " What would you get out of this?"

The accomplice didn't answer, lead her up a gravelly, narrow path. They seemed to be out in the middle of nowhere, there was nothing but trees and bushes for scenery. Ahead of them was a cabin. The accomplice unlocked the door and shoved her inside. The cabin was actually clean inside with nice wicker furniture. It was someone's private property, probably used for holidays.

" Why is she doing this?" Laura demanded Kath's accomplice, " She can't possibly think she can fool everyone."

" Her plan is foolproof." The accomplice replied expressionless, " She has everything planned down to the last detail. She's taking back what's hers…that's what she told me."

" Taking back what's hers?" Laura's face went white as realization dawned on her.

" Yes." The accomplice nodded and pushed her down onto the couch. The accomplice made sure Laura was tightly bound and taped her mouth. " I'm sick of hearing your voice."

All Laura she could think of was Jacob and Morag. They were in danger and did not know it.

Kath frowned at Colleen who was staring at her as she entered the diner. " Laura, I'm glad I've caught you." She said and Kath relaxed slightly. She should stop feeling so paranoid.

" What is it Colleen?" she asked.

" I just wanted you to know that…some people around here might not be comfortable with the idea of you and Morag Bellingham." She whispered.

Kath glared, " Other people are uncomfortable or is it just you that's uncomfortable with the idea?"

" I didn't say that-" Colleen protested.

" Well, everyone can mind their own business. My private life is just that-private. Understand Colleen?" she demanded coldly, her eyes narrowing into slits.

Colleen stared at her, shocked by her sudden arrogance. Laura never used to be arrogant before.

" Yes, I understand." Colleen murmured.

" Good. And if people around here don't like us together, then everyone can go to hell." Kath added and left without even taking her order.

Colleen looked flustered as Morag walked up to order a coffee. " What's with you Colleen?" Morag demanded, not that she cared.

" It's Laura, she was just in here and gave me an earful." Colleen whined as she made the coffee.

" What did you say to her?" Morag asked sharply.

" How do you know I said anything?"

" Because I know Laura. You must have really upset her if she was rude to you." Morag said, " What did you say?"

Colleen winced and told her. Furious, Morag slammed her handbag onto the countertop, making Colleen jump.

" Colleen Smart, you really don't have much of a life if you keep gossiping about other people's lives." Morag railed, " If people around this town don't accept us, then that's their problem."

" That's what she said." Colleen said huffily.

" And she's right. Forget about the coffee Colleen." And with that, Morag stormed out of the diner.

She met Laura at the apartment, still fuming. " Has Colleen gotten to you too?" Laura asked sympathetically as they greeted each other with a kiss.

" That woman!" Morag said, " Apparently everyone is talking about us and is uncomfortable with the idea. Sometimes I really hate this town."

" So do I." Laura said, " which is why I really want us to get away for the weekend."

" Oh, I have the weekend off. Where would you like to go?" they started discussing several places and Morag was starting to warm up to the idea. A weekend away with her girlfriend was just what they needed

Laura woke up and rolled over onto her back. She had fallen asleep on the couch. The room had gotten dark so she guessed it was late afternoon. She wondered if Kath's accomplice would return to finish the job? She knew she must start thinking of ways to escape.

She's taking back what's hers. The revelation whirled around in her mind. Jacob! She thought, don't be fooled by that woman! She's not your mother! Look into her eyes and you will see.

If she ever got free, she vowed to tell Jacob the truth-the truth about his parentage.

CHAPTER SIXTEEN

Birds were chirping and their chirping woke Laura. She blinked, rolled over onto her back. Her body ached, and her mouth was dry. She more thirsty than hungry. Her hands were still tied behind her back and her ankles tied together. They were numb from poor circulation. She managed to sit up and the room spun dizzily around her. The door opened and the accomplice walked in, wearing the balaclava.

" Please," Laura croaked, " Let me go."

" I can't Laura." The accomplice replied, " You know that."

" Then…untie me."

" And what makes you think I'll do that?" the accomplice demanded, " Don't play me for a fool."

" It appears that we are in the middle of nowhere…so where I would I run to? And even if I did try and run, you'd catch me in a flash."

" Do not patronize me," he growled.

" I'm not patronizing you. You are bigger and stronger than I am. Please untie me…I won't go anywhere. I've gone completely numb."

The accomplice hesitated before slowly untying the ropes. Laura immediately began flexing her hands and rubbing her ankles. The accomplice then sat down opposite Laura.

" Who are you?" Laura finally asked as she searched the room.

" Someone who wants to help your sister. Katherine had a terrible childhood. I've read her case, your family never cared for her."

" You're making Kath sound like the victim here," Laura pointed out.

" That's because she is the victim. When I read what you and your brother has done to her, I wept. You and Cameron are cruel. How could you have done what you did? She's your sister for God's sake! Family!"

" We thought it was necessary…and I never regretted it since."

The accomplice shook his head, " She will have her revenge. I will make sure of that."

" Then why haven't you killed me yet?"

" I'm waiting for orders.."

" What are you, her servant? You don't have to follow orders." Laura refrained herself from rolling her eyes. This was classic Katherine.

" What are you getting out of this? When the cops find out you will go to jail because you'll be an accessory to murder."

" All my life I wanted to help people and I'm doing that right now." The accomplice said, rubbing his face through the balaclava. The darn thing was itchy.

" How can you call this-"she gestured to herself-"helping?"

" Not you," the accomplice snarled, " Katherine. I'm helping her righting a wrong." He stood up then and towered over her, " And I'll relish in killing you Laura Elizabeth Tate."

Laura recoiled. How did this man know her full name?

" I told you, I know everything about Katherine, you and that brother of yours. I've read files. She's told me things too. Things you've probably forgotten."

" I'm not the bad guy here!" Laura shouted, standing so fast, the man actually took a step backwards.

" Kath's clinically insane. She's seen psychiatrists, and was admitted to a mental hospital. How can you refer her to as a victim? Do you know what she has done to me?" Laura yelled, trying to get through to this man, " Probably not. She's only told you about herself." She rolled her eyes, " That's typical of Kath."

" She did tell me you would call her the bad guy," the man answered slowly, " she said you would say things you're saying right now."

Laura didn't know who this man was, but he was twisted. It was obvious Kath had brainwashed him somehow.

Don't think, time to act now. Laura told herself. She grabbed the lamp that sat on a table next to the sofa. She smashed it into the man's face and he roared with pain as glass got into his eye.

While he was distracted, Laura wrenched open the door and fled out into the woods.

CHAPTER SEVENTEEN

With her whole body aching, Laura ran headlong into the woods. She had no clue where she was but knew had to get away.

Her hand brushed her thigh as she ran and she felt a lump. She frowned and checked her pocket-her phone was still with her!

The accomplice forgot to check her pockets!

“ Yes!” she whispered. She glanced over at her shoulder as she turned it on. She missed two calls, both from Morag and a message from Jacob. She ignored them and dialed Morag’s number.

The number you are trying to reach is out of range, please try again later. The recorded message told her bluntly.

No! please no! she thought and tried again…she was about to give up the second time, but the phone on the other end started ringing!

She punched the air in triumph and stopped for a brief moment to catch her breath. A voice answered and she babbled, “ Morag, the woman you are with-“

“ This is the phone of Morag Bellingham. I’m unable to take your call but if you leave a message I’ll get back to you.”

“ Morag, the woman you are with is not me. It’s my sister and she’s planning on taking over my life. Please please believe me when I say this, but you and Jacob are in danger. Right now I’m running from her accomplice. I don’t know where I am. But hand Katherine in to the police.” She paused, “ Or better yet, call the River Creek Mental Hospital in the city. They will tell you everything. She wasn’t meant to be out just yet…she escaped.” There was a beep and she glanced at her phone. The battery was about to die.

She heard a noise behind her, it sounded like a gunshot. “ Laura!” a voice roared, “ There’s no where to run. Give up now!”

“ Did you hear that?” she said into the phone, “ The accomplice is-“ there was another beep and then nothing. Her phone died.

Please get my message, she implored and continued to run until she tripped over an exposed root and fell, sliding down a short embankment. She knocked her head against a rock and everything went dark.

Jacob neared the car and stared at the front window. Someone had written: woman lover in felt pen. It was obviously aimed at his mother. He went back into the diner and asked Irene quietly if he can borrow some rags and window cleaner.

“ Someone graffitied our car,” he explained when she asked why. She nodded, she knew the people of this town –mostly kids-would tease Jacob about his mother and Morag. When she had learned who the other woman was, she was surprised but accepted it. She didn’t care about Morag’s relationships, as long as Morag was happy, that was the main thing right?

Laura got up from the table and joined her son, “ Ready to go?” she asked, smiling at him. Irene peered closer at the other woman. There were dark circles under her hazel eyes and there was no sparkle in them-in fact, the eyes were dull and lifeless. Perhaps the past few weeks have caught up with Laura and she was getting no sleep. It was best not to comment on it though, Colleen had warned Irene, Laura had been in a bad mood lately.

“ Um.” Jacob glanced at Irene.

“ What’s wrong?”

“ Come and see.” Jacob sighed. He had hoped to get rid of it before his mother saw it. Lately his mother’s been a little on edge. He reluctantly lead her to the parking lot and gestured to their car.

Her eyes darkened, “ Just ignore them. The people of this town are ignorant, narrow-minded and disrespectful.” They cleaned the markings off before climbing in and driving to school. Jacob waved goodbye to his mother as Kath drove off.

Kath met Morag at her apartment. They greeted each other with a kiss before going inside.

“ I can’t stay all day,” Morag said apologetically, “ I have a meeting with a client in the city this afternoon.”

“ That’s fine,” Kath said frowning a little. Was Morag using this as an excuse to get away from her? Kath had warmed up to Morag-Kath could see why her sister loved this woman.

Morag took her phone out of the bag as Kath made them coffee. Morag had missed a call and listened to voicemail. It was a garbled message broken up with static. Morag replayed it and listened a bit more carefully. She could only make out: “ –not Laura, don’t know—am—police—River Creek Mental Hospital-Kath—taking over--” and that was it. The voice sounded vaguely liked Laura.

Morag stared at Laura, “ Laura…did you call me earlier?”

“ No, why do you ask?” Kath asked.

“ No reason.” Morag sat down on the couch. She remembered hearing the name Kath in the message. Kath being Laura’s twin sister and something about taking over?

Morag sat up suddenly and glanced at the woman who was making their coffee.

That woman wasn’t Laura, but Katherine.

It made sense, it also explained Laura’s sudden erratic behavior. Why hadn’t Morag noticed it before?

The colour drained from Morag’s face. How long has this woman masqueraded as Laura? Last weekend, Morag had slept with one of them-but who?

“ What are you staring at?” Laura-or Katherine-demanded.

“ Um, nothing.” Morag stood up, “ Listen, may I take a rain check on the coffee? I just realized there somewhere I have to be.”

“ Sure,” the woman shrugged and walked Morag to her car.

Morag entered the police station and asked to see Detective Peter Baker. She relayed him her fears.

“ What’s her full name again?”

“ Katherine Cooper. I remember Laura telling me she was in River Creek Mental Hospital. If you check there, they might tell you she’s escaped.”

Peter nodded, “ Are you sure about this Morag?”

“ Absolutely. That woman is not Laura.”

Peter had learned Kath had an apartment under her real name. He went to check that out with Morag. He entered one of the rooms and stared at the wall. It was covered with photos, newspaper articles dedicated to Laura. Her life was on this wall.

“ Morag,” he called and she appeared. Her hand flew to her mouth, “ Oh my god.” She gasped.

He turned to her, “ Do you have any idea where Kath would take her?”

“ I remember Laura telling me about a family holiday cottage down south but-“

“ It’s out only lead,” Peter nodded, “ I’ll send a unit out there right away.”

“ She left a message on my phone but I could barely hear it.” She gave it to him for a listen.

“ I made out the words accomplice-“ Peter said, “ so Katherine is not working alone.”

“ There’s someone else you can call who might help.”

“ Who would that be?” Peter asked as he called the station for backup.

“ Her brother, Cameron.”

20 minutes later, Cameron, entered the police station and saw a red-haired woman waiting by the reception.

“ Morag?” he greeted her and she nodded.

“ I’m glad you can come down. We just got a call from the hospital-apparently your sister escaped several months ago and no one notified your family of it.”

“ Why?” Cameron demanded. He knew someday Kath would seek revenge.

“ I don’t know…maybe it’s the accomplice’s doing. She’s not working on her own. Do you have any idea who would be helping her?”

“ No…but she’s a manipulator, she’s probably blackmailed nurses or doctors. It could be anyone.”

Laura opened her eyes and stared up at the man. His face twisted into a sneer and she recoiled. “ It’s you,” she gasped.

Dr. Ian Middleton smiled, “ Yes,”

“ But…why?”

“ Morag destroyed me. So I thought I’d hit her where it would hurt. You.” Dr. Middleton smiled again, “ Everyone knows Morag loves you.”

The police car came to a stop outside the cottage. Peter and two other cops made a beeline for the door.

“ If you’re going to kill me,” Laura challenged him, “ Do it now.”

Middleton snarled and lashed down with the knife, grazing her arm. She yelped as it pierced her skin. She rolled and drop to the floor, lashing out with her foot. He went for her again, this time the knife embedding into her ribs. She screamed in pain and slumped to the ground.

The door to the cottage flew open as police streamed in. Peter pinned Middleton against the wall and cuffed him.

“ Middleton you are a under arrest!” he shouted. “ Where is Katherine?”

“ I’m not telling you…I have rights.”

“ Take him away.” Peter ordered. He knelt down next to Laura and called an ambulance. Blood was soaking into her blouse, “ You’ll be ok, just hang on.” He told Laura. Then he called Morag.

Jacob stared at the woman who he thought was his mother. How could he have not known? His aunt Katherine had impersonated his mother and fooled him. Tears welled into his eyes.

“ Don’t cry,” Aunt Kath snapped, “ if you cooperate, then you won’t get hurt. Understood?”

“ W-where are you taking me?” Jacob demanded. Kath didn’t answer as they sped out of Summer Bay.

CHAPTER EIGHTEEN

Laura tried to sit up in bed, but Nurse Julie gently pushed her back down and was joined by Dr. Rachel Armstrong. They had to get her into emergency surgery, she was losing a lot of blood.

Morag rushed inside, the doors swinging wildly behind her. " Laura?" she peered down at her lover, " Is she going to be okay?" she asked the nurse and doctor as the orderlies transferred Laura onto another bed.

Dr. Armstrong used her penlight to study her eyes. Laura was fading in and out of consciousness and was mumbling incoherently.

" Laura, can you hear me?" Rachel asked her and she felt the patient squeeze her hand. Julie applied more pressure to her knife wound. Blood was seeping through the cotton pads.

" Is she going to be ok?" Morag asked again, impatiently.

" She's going to need surgery to stitch up her wound." Rachel replied, " She's lost a lot of blood in a very short time. The knife was deeply embedded into her rib cage."

Morag nodded silently. When she learned it had been Middleton, she wasn't surprised. She destroyed Middleton and he made her pay by hurting the one person she loved the most.

If she doesn't make it, he would have won. Morag thought grimly as they wheeled her into theatre. Rachel told Morag to stay outside and Morag tried calling Jacob. His phone was off.

Morag called Dan Baker, he was one of Jacob's teachers. Dan promised to find him, and call her back.

A few minutes later, Dan told Morag Jacob was seen leaving the school with his mother and was seen driving off. They had been arguing.

" That woman he was with isn't his mother," Morag informed him.

" But-"

" Laura has a twin sister named Katherine. Katherine had some absurd idea that she was going to murder Laura and take her place. Laura is now in hospital and now it appears Kath has abducted Jacob." Morag sighed, " Thank you Dan. I will inform Peter. She won't get very far." She hung up and Peter walked into the hospital. She told what happened.

" We have every available police officer looking for her. We've had a few sightings of her car, he will be found."

" I don't think Katherine would hurt Jacob. It wasn't he she was after."

Peter nodded, " How is Laura doing?"

" She's undergoing surgery as we speak."

" I cannot believe we've all been fooled by Katherine." Peter shook his head in amazement, " Those two are completely identical. I can't see any differences."

" The only different is Laura is sane. Katherine isn't." Morag said.

Meanwhile, Jacob looked over at his Auntie Kath. She was staring grimly at the road ahead of them. They were in now in the city. He wondered how long it will be until someone found them.

Then he found the courage to ask her, " What are you going to do to me?"

" You've got to understand I am not going to hurt you." Kath replied absently, " I'm just taking back what's mine. That's all."

" W-what's going to happen?"

Kath smiled at him then, " We'll be starting our new lives together Jacob. Nobody will take you away from me again."

Jacob stared at her, trying to work out what she meant. Kath put her foot down and they sped down the road. He grabbed onto the dashboard as the car skidded a little. Surely someone would have realized Auntie Kath had kidnapped him and they have put an alert out. If a cop would pick them up for speeding, then he would realize he was the kidnapped kid and would help him. Jacob stared out of the window and silently began to pray.

Peter ordered Jack Holden and Lara Fitzgerald to find Jacob. He waited at the police station and an hour later, Fizti radioed in.

" We have spotted them going over 90 kms in an 80 zone."

" Hurry." Peter urged them.

Jacob craned his neck when he heard the sirens. Auntie Kath glanced through the review mirror and snarled. How they have found them already? She cried out in desperation and slammed her hands against the wheel, startling the boy.

She put her foot again and Jacob braced himself when they went around a sharp bend. Kath lost control of the car as they went down an embankment. Jacob cried out in terror as a tree loomed ahead. Kath swore as she swerved, managing to avoid it. The car came to a complete stop and she revved the engine. Beads of sweat dripped down her forehead as she turned the key. Nothing.

" C'mon!" she wailed, " I can't go back! I won't go back."

Jacob undid his seatbelt and before she could react, he pushed the door open and jumped out of the car, his feet landing in mud.

" Jacob, no!" he heard her cry as he ran up the embankment. He waved his arms at the two police cars as four cops climbed out of their vehicles.

Jack reached him first. " Are you okay?" he asked the younger lad and he nodded.. He watched as they apprehended his aunt.

Lara Fitzgerald assured him he was safe. They took him back to the station and that's where he learned about his mother.

" She's in hospital Jacob. I'll give you a lift."

Morag stood up as they wheeled Laura out of the surgery. It's been over an hour.

" We've stopped the bleeding. She'll be fine. She's awake but she's still drowsy." Rachel told Morag as they wheeled her into a room.

Morag sat down next to the bed and took Laura's hand. Laura opened her eyes, " Jacob," she whispered.

Morag sighed, " There's been a development-"she began when she heard a commotion in the hall. She stood and looked out. Jacob had arrived with Peter and was demanding to see his mother.

Rachel lead him to the room. Morag was relieved to see Jacob safe.

" We've arrested Katherine. She won't be going anywhere them again." Peter assured him.

" I want to see her."

" I don't think it's a good idea-" Peter began but Morag glared. Peter reluctantly took her to the station where they were holding her.

Author's Note: Sorry for the lack of updates. Still having ISP troubles. Its driving me crazy.

CHAPTER NINETEEN

Morag entered the interview room where Katherine sat at the table, handcuffed. Her expression was unreadable.

“ Why?” was the first question she asked her.

“ All I wanted was to take back what’s mine.” Katherine replied bitterly.

“ And what exactly does that mean?”

Katherine didn’t answer, “ Ask Laura. She knows.”

“ Just answer me this…was it you that time?” Katherine knew what Morag was asking, it was quite obvious.

“ Who do you think it was?” Katherine challenged. Morag was in no mood to play games. Katherine wasn’t going to cooperate, so she left the interview room. Well, this was a waste of time. Morag thought but she wasn’t angry with Katherine. She was angry at herself. She had betrayed Laura.

The following morning, Laura learned her sister was back at the hospital with better security being enforced. But Laura knew she hadn’t seen the last of her sister.

Jacob sat beside the bed. It was nearly 9am, he was going to be late for school.

“ I’m not going.” He declared when his mother pointed this out.

“ Yes you are. I’ll be fine. Morag is on her way.” Laura paused, “ Rachel says I’ll be going home in a couple of days. If the wound doesn’t get infected. In the meantime, Irene says you can stay over at her place.”

Jacob nodded, he didn’t want to, but he will, for his mother’s sake. From now on, he vowed to be a better son.

Jacob left for school and Morag arrived with Laura’s toiletries, nightgowns a few other things.

“ I really don’t see how I should stay here…I feel fine.” Laura protested as Morag deposited the bag on the floor. “ I shouldn’t be taking up this bed when someone else can use it.”

“ You just got stabbed,” Morag reminded her, “ you could have died. You’re staying here…I’ll make sure of it.”

“ Yes ma’am.” Laura sighed. They fell silent and Morag watched her, wondering. She was wondering if she should tell Laura that it had been Katherine she had slept with and not her. She was furious with herself for not realizing she had the wrong sister. She should have known instantly something was not right. But at the time she didn’t pick it up.

“ Is anything wrong?” Laura asked her suddenly.

“ No…why do you ask?”

“ You’ve been quiet.”

“ I’ve got a few things on my mind that’s all.”

“ I know what you mean.” Laura sat up, and Morag straightened her pillows, “ I think I should tell Jacob.”

“ Are you sure?” Morag stared at her, “ You’ve been determined to keep it a secret…”

“ I know but it’ll make him understand why his auntie did what she…did.”

Morag stroked her hand, “ If you think it’s best.”

Laura nodded firmly, “ He may hate me for awhile but he will come around. I know Jacob.”

“ I can get the paperwork from your apartment for you.” Morag offered.

“ Thanks.” Laura felt tired but didn’t want to sleep. Every time she closed her eyes, she could see that knife lashing down. Morag leaned over and kissed her before she left.

Jacob arrived at the hospital straight after school. He had declined Tim’s invite to hang after school. He preferred to spend time with his mother.

He was not happy to see Morag there. She was handing his mother a manila folder.

“ What are you doing here?” he asked her grumpily as he took the nearest chair.

“ I was just leaving. I’ll see you in the morning.” Morag didn’t make a move to kiss Laura in front of Jacob. They’ve done it earlier. Morag left the room.

“ I’m glad you’re here. There’s something I have to tell you.” His mother began.

“ What?” Jacob asked. His mother sounded so serious. He didn’t like it.

“ You might not like what you’re about to hear. You might even hate me for it but in time I hope you will understand.”

“ Understand what?”

She handed him the folder, “ Read these. They will explain everything.”

He stared at her before opening the folder to the first page. It was his birth certificate. He’d never seen it before. He scanned the page and the colour drained from his face.

JACOB DAVID TATE

BIRTH DATE: 14 MARCH 1991

FATHER: SAMUEL MATTHEW TATE

MOTHER: KATHERINE ELLA COOPER

Archived