Spiral (Part Two)

Guest Natasha

CHAPTER NINE

It was the morning light which woke Morag. She rolled over to see Laura already awake and watching her.

" How long have you been awake?" Morag asked sleepily.

" Awhile."

" And you have been watching me sleep?"

Laura nodded and gave her a good morning kiss, " You are adorable when you sleep."

Morag didn't reply and got out of bed, " How did you sleep after last night?"

" Like a log. It helped with you being here." Laura reached out and grabbed her arm, " Why are you getting out of bed? What's the rush? Jacob won't be back until about 4pm. We have the whole day to ourselves."

They stayed in bed, chatted, exchanged a few kisses but it didn't go any further than that.

" Laura, " Morag began but as soon as she said that, her cell phone on the bedside drawer rang. She glanced at it briefly, it was her niece Martha. Whatever it was can wait. It rang several more times and stopped.

It was around 11am when Laura decided she was hungry. They got dressed and went into the kitchen to make breakfast. Morag suggested the Diner but Laura didn't feel like venturing out just yet.

It was in the afternoon when they went for a walk along the beach. They were at a deserted stretch of beach near Stewarts Point. As the water lapped at their feet, Laura closed her mouth over Morag's….

Click, click, click. Sam Tate eyed his wife as she melted into her lover's arms. He took several more photos and knew just how to get his revenge. He stopped photographing and went back to his rental car. As he walked, a wave of nausea swept over him. He hadn't been feeling well lately…he was off his food and felt weak. He headed for the nearest Kodak shop to get his photos developed.

It was around four when Morag headed for home. She had reluctantly left Laura back at the apartment as she entered checked the mailbox. There was a manila envelope inside with her name on it. She didn't recognize the handwriting. Her phone beeped and she read the text message: I Miss You Already-from Laura. She smiled and went inside.

" Where were you last night Aunty Morag?" Martha asked her great-aunt entered the house.

" I was…in the city overnight." Morag answered, " For work. Didn't I tell you?"

" No actually. I called this morning but it went straight to message bank."

" Oh…I was at a meeting." Morag explained. She hated lying-especially to her family. But no one can know about her relationship with Laura. She just wasn't ready.

" Oh, that explains it. I'll see you later." Martha left then and Morag ripped open the envelope as several glossy photos fell to the table.

Morag picked one up and turned it over and her face went white.

The photo was of herself and Laura on the beach!

" What the hell?" she exclaimed and rifled through the other ten photos. Whoever took them had a field day.

I thought we were alone! Who could have done this? She wondered. She gathered up the photos.

Someone knows. She thought with dread.

Joshua West's secretary handed him a manila envelope with his name on it. He pulled out a piece of paper. He didn't recognize the handwriting and it wasn't signed. The note read: I thought this will come in handy. Do what you wish with them.

Josh took out some photos and his eyes nearly fell out of their sockets. For he was staring at a photo of Ms. Morag Bellingham and her client Laura in a passionate clinch!

Whoever sent these was right. This stuff was gold.

CHAPTER TEN

Early the following morning, Morag called Laura.

" Why, hello. Didn't expect to hear you so soon," Laura greeted her, surprised but pleased.

" Um, we have a bit of a problem." Morag answered stiffly.

" What kind of problem?" Laura asked.

" I need you to come over…this is a private matter."

" Sure, I'll come." Laura thought Morag was back to her normal formal self. And just when Morag was starting to relax a little. Something must have happened. She arrived at the Summer Bay House in about fifteen minutes. Everyone was gone for the day, Morag was in the dining room, nursing a cup of coffee. Her fingers were tapping the manila envelope next to her.

" Good morning." Laura greeted her as Morag let her inside. Morag didn't kiss her good morning so Laura gave her a peck on the cheek instead.

" Do you want a coffee?" Morag asked. Laura shook her head.

" Let's just get straight to it." Laura said.

Morag picked up the envelope and gave it to her. She sat down in silence as Laura opened it and took out the photos.

Laura stared at them in disbelief. " Who…I thought we were alone!"

" So did I." Morag said grabbing the photos from her, " Do you know who would have done this?"

" No…well, the one person I'm thinking of happens to be dead. I can't think of anyone…can you?"

" Our secret isn't a secret anymore. If there are other copies, then my career is as good as over."

" Morag…are you ashamed of us?" Laura demanded, " I know our relationship is somewhat…controversial, but I thought-"

" It's not that. I am not ashamed of us. Its other people I'm worried about. The people of this town can be very narrow-minded and judgmental about these things. Well, there are at least two people I can think of who will be." Morag paused, " they tend to close their ears and eyes to anything controversial."

" But you said your career will be over…"

" Have you forgotten that you are also my client? I'm very high-profiled not just in Summer Bay but also in the city as well. People won't take too kindly if they discover a judge is-"

" Sleeping with their client." Laura finished bitterly.

" Well, I wasn't going to say it that way." Morag frowned at her.

" But people will think that way." Laura pointed out.

" I usually do not care what other people think of me, but in this case its different."

" So…now what?"

" Now we have to keep our eyes and ears open for any other copies. And we also have to find out who took these photos." Morag frowned again, " And two names have just to come to mind."

" Who?"

" Our Esteemed mayor, Mr. Joshua West."

" The Mayor? Surely he has better things to do with his time than follow us around all day…"

" Apparently not." Morag also thought of Bob Radcliff. The man she has hired to take photos of the Mayor. He wouldn't betray her like this…would he? She would sort him out later.

Morag glanced at her watch and realized she was running late, " I have to go but I'll call you tonight." She said. They said goodbye and they both left the house. Laura climbed into her car and watched Morag drive off. She hoped this latest disaster hasn't changed things between them…

That night, Morag called Laura as promised, but Laura wasn't answering her phone. She called the apartment, no one there either.

Joshua West looked up from his files as the door to his office opened. " What are you doing here?" he greeted his uninvited visitor.

Laura Tate walked in, " I need to talk to you." She told him.

" Well, you have to make an appointment with me in the morning. Its way past normal office hours."

" I'm afraid it's a matter of urgency." Laura began. Josh reached into his drawer and came into contact with his gun. He bypassed it and grabbed the photos instead.

" I suppose you want to talk about these?" he asked.

Laura paled when she saw discovered Morag had been right-the Mayor did take them.

" Please…let me have them." She said, trying to not sound desperate.

" Why?" Josh asked as he filed through them, " These are quite steamy you know. Whoever thought Morag would have a passionate bone her in body?"

" Its important none of this can get out-"

" Oh I know. A high profiled Judge sleeping with her client? What a scandal."

Laura snapped then, " Give me those photos!" she ordered, " You have no right to be following Morag and I around!"

" You think I took these?" Josh snorted, " Now don't you think I have better things to do with my time?"

" So…you didn't take them?"

" No…someone sent me some copies." Josh leaned against the desk, " you want these photos, what are you prepared to pay for them?"

" You aren't getting a cent from me." Laura said and lunged for him. Her sudden movement catching the Mayor off guard. He recovered though and grabbed her arm,

" You will pay me…if you want these." He said waving them into her face. He let go and shoved her aside.

" You are…an imbecile." Laura hissed at him, " You won't get a penny from me. You don't deserve it. Not after the way you fixed the custody hearing…I almost lost my son!" she whirled around and stalked from the office, " You'll pay for this Joshua West!" she hurled at him before slamming the door closed.

" There you are!" Morag exclaimed when Laura hurried into Noah's Bar, " I've called you about three times…"

" I'm sorry, I had something to do." Laura explained and decided against telling Morag about her confrontation with Josh. It would only worry her more.

They had a couple of drinks and Laura invited her back to her place. Jacob was staying over at Tim's again since it was Saturday.

They got undressed and exchanged a few kisses…then both fell asleep.

Morag didn't know what woke her. She sat up and discovered Laura was gone. The clock read ten pm. She got out and looked for her…she was in te living room when the door to the apartment opened and in walked Laura. She was fully dressed.

" Laura…what on earth?"

" I'm sorry Morag…" Laura said, " but I had to go out and take a walk. I couldn't sleep."

Morag studied her closely, Laura looked calm. " Are you…sure?"

" Yes." Laura grabbed her hand, " Lets get back to bed." She said and lead Morag back into the bedroom.

Laura smiled to herself as she kissed Morag, their problems were over and things could go back to normal.

It was late morning when everyone received the shocking news…their Mayor had been found murdered in his office! Everyone had their reason for wanting Josh murdered so nearly everyone was a suspect. Morag sat in the kitchen and watched her girlfriend make them breakfast.

She had disappeared last night…she had claimed to be taking a walk, but did she? Morag hated to be suspicious of her own girlfriend. Her heart sank as she came to a conclusion…

Did Laura kill Josh West?

Next Update: Thursday night.

That was seriously awesome! Have you already written the whole chapter? Seeing as that you update nearly everyday. Not that I'm complaining. :D

Cannot wait for the update. :)

I've already written the WHOLE fan fic. :P

-----------------

CHAPTER ELEVEN

Morag joined the others in the diner. Laura had some things to do and will meet up with her later. Morag had wanted to bring up her suspicions but held off.

" Well, everyone here has a reason for wanting him dead." Morag was commenting.

" Well, there's no more Project 56…it's nothing now without Josh." Martha replied, " You must be happy about that Aunt Morag."

Morag nodded and glanced at her niece. Was it her imagination or Martha giving her a suspicious glance?

Wonderful, my own family thinks I may have something to do with it. Morag thought with irritation.

" Now that's he's out of the picture, what does this mean for Granddad?" her great-nephew Ric asked.

" I'm already looking into that. I believe we may have some evidence against that crooked judge." Morag assured him, " Alfred may out by the end of next week."

" That's awesome!" Ric said with feeling.

Morag nodded. Laura didn't end up meeting with her at the diner so Morag left them and rang her.

" Where are you?"

" At home, my errands took longer than expected." Laura said, " Do you want to come over?"

" Wouldn't Jacob be there?"

" It's Sunday, of course he isn't here."

" All right then." Morag paused, " There's something I need to talk to you anyway."

She met Laura at her apartment. " How long is Jacob gone for?" she asked Laura while she made them coffee.

" For a while." Laura assured her, " He's been spending quite a bit of time with those friends of his. I haven't met any of them. I must remember to ask him to bring a friend around for dinner."

" Laura…where did you go last night?" Morag didn't want to beat around the bush.

" I told you…I couldn't sleep so I went for a walk." Laura answered.

" And now Josh West is dead." Morag said and Laura frowned.

" Are you implying that I killed Josh West?" Laura exclaimed, " I-"

" And remember at the court hearing, you threatened Mr. West?" Morag interrupted.

" I was angry…I didn't mean anything." Laura said defensively, " You should be giving me the benefit of the doubt."

" I know and I'm very sorry." Morag apologized, " We won't talk anymore of it but if we are suspects, we have to get our alibis straight. "

Over the next few days, Peter interviewed his suspects. He was in the interrogation room with Laura Tate. He had just interviewed Morag earlier.

" Where were you on the night Joshua West was killed?"

" I was alone at my apartment."

" Can anyone confirm that?"

She didn't even blink, " No. My son was with friends that night. I felt like being alone."

" I am told that during your custody hearing, you threatened Mr. West Is this true?"

" Yes but I was angry at the time. I wouldn't act on it." Laura said, " people say a lot of things they don't mean when they are angry."

Be careful what you say. Morag had reminded Laura.

He asked her a few more questions and told her she can leave.

She walked along the pier, wearing a hat and sunglasses. She knew this was risky but she was tired of staying indoors all the time. She pulled the hat low over her eyes as she saw up ahead was a surf club and diner. Curiosity got the better of her as she made her way there.

She had a quick look around and darted away before she was spotted…

That night, Morag and Laura walked along the beach, arm in arm. It was quiet-obviously as it was ten pm. Laura wondered whether or not to confess but decided to hold off for now.

Laura stopped walking and glanced quickly around her. No one was in sight, so she pulled Morag forward.

" What are you doing?" Morag protested.

" No one's around, don't worry." Laura assured her before her mouth settled firmly onto Morag's.

Sam Tate shook his head as he turned away from the scene. He headed towards the car that was waiting for him as he wondered why the photos hadn't made the newspapers yet. He sat in his car and rubbed his forehead.

" Not feeling too good?" the person sitting next to him asked.

Sam glanced over at Dr. Middleton. There was a large bruise on his forehead as a result from Sam knocking him out.

" No. I need more painkillers." Sam said.

" You need to wait. Its dangerous to overdose on-"

" I don't need a lecture. Just give me some morphine."

" You aren't looking too good either." Middleton knew he should be afraid. He sitting next to a guy who just woke from a coma. Sam was sweating profusely, his eyes were bulging and he was as white as a ghost.

Sam didn't answer to that. Instead he rolled up his sleeve and Middleton administered the needles. When the procure was finished, Sam thanked him and handed him the cash before leaving the car. Middleton drove off as Sam walked back to his vantage point…but Morag and Laura had gone.

He heard footsteps crunching along the gravel and he turned. It was someone he least expected to see.

" Laura…what on earth are you doing here?" he demanded her.

Laura just stood there silently.

" Laura?"

" I am not Laura." Laura answered and that's when he noticed the knife in her hand, glinting cruelly….

CHAPTER TWELVE

She was standing on a cliff, holding a knife in her hand. Its sharp blade glinted in the moonlight as she stared at Sam Tate.

Sam's face went white, " What are you doing here?" he demanded her.

She just smiled and made a lunge for him. She stood back and watched as Sam fell from the cliff, the knife embedded firmly in his chest….

Laura jolted awake as the image of Sam falling of the cliff was still in her mind. What a bizarre dream. She knew it was just a dream…Sam was dead.

She rolled over and tried to get back to sleep but sleep was impossible. She went into the kitchen to see her son packing his backpack.

" Is it okay if I stay over at Tim's tonight?" he asked. It was Friday night again.

" Sure….you've been spending quite a bit of time with him lately."

" We are partners in a Science project…its due next week." Jacob said, " Tim's real smart in science."

" So are you." Laura countered. Science was Tim's best subject in school. English was a close second.

" I'll be back on Sunday." Jacob assured her, "I just want to do well on it since I got behind."

" You'll do fine." Laura smiled at him.

Jacob zipped up his bag. He felt a little guilty for not spending time with his mother. He pecked her cheek and promised they'd do a movie night. He left the apartment and ,met Tim at the surf club.

" You made it." Tim greeted him in surprise.

" Of course I did. Why wouldn't I?"

" I thought your mum would be suspicious about you going away a lot?"

" I just made up some lie about us being partners in Science."

" But we're not even in Science together." Tim reminded him.

Jacob shrugged noncommittally, " She doesn't know that."

" I have an idea for us…the gang…to form a club."

" What kind of club?" Jacob asked as they went into Noah's Bar and both ordered mineral waters.

" A Dare Club." Tim said, " We'll pull names out of a hat or something and take turns doing dares."

" Dares?"

" There will be no limitations on dares. If someone doesn't want to do one then they are out."

" Out?"

" Out of the group and labeled a wimp." Tim smiled slyly, " Sounds good?"

" Well…depends on what the dares are." Jacob did not like the sound of this. Even thought Tim had been the one who caused his mother's car crash, Jacob still wanted to be his friend…and part of this group. He did not want geeks for friends and these guys were not geeks.

" And who will be calling the dares?" Jacob asked.

" Me of course. Being the leader and all."

Of course. Jacob sighed, " Well, I'm in."

" Everybody's in. No one has a choice." Tim stood, " It's time to meet up with the guys."

" The only way to get Detective Baker off our backs is to come clean about us." Laura told Morag later that evening.

" I don't think I'm ready for that…" Morag trailed off.

" But it will clear our names." Her lover pointed out, " At least think about it Morag." Her lover kissed her cheek before heading into the kitchen.

Morag stared into space. She has been interviewed twice by the annoying Detective Peter Baker. Asking her questions about the case files he had in his possession and also asked where she was on the night Josh West was murdered. Those files are confidential and I'll be they'll be going through them right now. The thought made her angry. And she also knew it wouldn't be long until they interviewed her friend as well.

I'm not ready to tell anyone. Morag decided, and the people in this town won't be ready for us. That's for darn sure.

Dr Ian Middleton left the second floor and almost bumped into Dr. Rachel Armstrong.

" Oh hello Ian…how's the coma patient going?"

" Oh…no change." Dr. Middleton told her. Armstrong almost never went to the second floor, it wasn't her part of the hospital.

Armstrong glanced at the older doctor. He seemed nervous and a bit agitated. His eyes darted crazily as he pushed past her and left.

Rachel took the lift to the second floor and peered through the ICU window. The bed the patient had been lying in was empty! The machines were gone too.

There was no need to panic just yet, patients were moved all the time. She went back to the first floor and asked about the whereabouts of Sam Tate.

" He should be still there." Nurse Julie told Rachel.

" Well, he isn't." Rachel replied, " He's gone. Has he been moved?"

Nurse Cooper checked the records, " Nope."

" Hmm." Rachel was stumped. There was something weird going on and she had a feeling Dr. Middleton had something to do with it.

Her mobile phone went off and she answered it.

" He's what?" Rachel was stunned when she was told the news, " but…he was supposed to be here in a coma!"

Morag Bellingham wasn't going to be happy about this at all.

CHAPTER THIRTEEN

Morag was very angry…how could they not know Sam Tate had woken from his coma and left the hospital? Something was very wrong here. She must get to the bottom of this before Laura found out.

Laura…if she finds out, she'll hate me. Morag thought. But if she'll let me explain than perhaps she will see reason. She hoped.

Morag burst into the hospital and went straight for Rachel who was waiting for her.

" How could you let this happen?" Morag demanded.

Rachel winced, " Morag…."

" I know that you are a very competent doctor Ms. Armstrong, but how could you not know that Sam Tate would wake from his coma? You told me he would be less than capable of getting out of his bed…and now he's been found dead."

" Morag, I was not in charge of the patient." Rachel tried to defend herself, " that was not my ward. I only knew about Sam just awhile ago. I was just as surprised as you are to learn he'd woken from his coma and disappeared from hospital."

" So who was in charge of him?" Morag asked impatiently.

" Dr. Ian Middleton." Rachel paused, " I can page him if you want me to."

" Yes please."

20 minutes later, Dr. Middleton appeared, " What is it Rachel? I'm in the middle of a consultation."

" Dr. Middleton…what in God's name has happened to Sam Tate?"

Middleton blinked and pushed his glasses up his nose, " I beg your pardon?"

" I've been informed Sam Tate's body was found near Stewart's Point. I was told he had zero chance of ever waking from his coma and even if he did, he'd be in a vegetate state."

" I…" Middleton spluttered but the woman barged on.

Morag crossed her arms, " When did Sam Tate wake up?"

Middleton cringed, this was it. His career was over. He was standing in front of a woman who put people behind bars.

" A week ago."

" And you never thought to tell anyone?" Morag's eyes narrowed dangerously.

Middleton sighed and his shoulders sagged, " I couldn't. Sam threatened to kill me if I told anyone."

" Tell us what happened Ian." Rachel urged him.

" Well…Sam woke from his coma and went I went to check his vitals, he must have knocked me out because I woke up on the floor of the hospital ward." Middleton gestured to the bruise on his forehead, " That's where I got this bruise from. He then blackmailed me into giving him morphine to keep the pain away so that he can get his revenge."

" And did he carry out his revenge?" Morag asked.

Middleton shrugged, " I truly don't know. He told me the best revenge was to hit his wife where it would hurt. This was two days ago."

" He's been alive for a week and you never told anyone?"

Middleton shook his head miserably.

" Do you realize what could have happened? Mr. Tate could have gone after his son. Killing his son would have been his revenge." Anger boiled over, " Dr. Middleton, you are the most incompetent, corrupt doctor met. And I'm going to make sure you never practice again." With that, Morag stormed out of the hospital.

Sam's death was in the paper. On the first page to be exact. The title read, MAN'S BODY FOUND NEAR STEWARTS POINT and it went on to say he was found stabbed to death, killer unknown.

Morag folded the paper and put it in her bag. Her mobile rang and she answered it.

" Hi…are you still coming over?" Laura asked cheerfully.

" Um…yes, I am." Morag hesitated.

" Great. I'll put the kettle on." Laura said.

I might need something stronger than that. Morag thought, " All right. I'll see you then."

They hung up and for the first time ever Morag wasn't looking forward in seeing Laura.

Laura opened the door and saw her newspaper had arrived. She picked it up and turned it over. The headline screamed back at her as her blood went cold.

" Body found dead…Sam?" Laura stared at the paper, wondering if they have gotten it right.

A few minutes later, Morag arrived. Laura was sitting on the couch, holding the paper in her hand.

" So…you know." Morag greeted her. Laura looked up. Her face was blank.

" How could this be?" Laura whispered, " He drowned! The newspaper here says he was found stabbed to death! Do they have it right? Newspapers are known to be wrong."

Morag was silent.

" Morag?" Laura frowned, " Do you have anything to do with this?"

" No! I didn't kill him. I only just found out today he-" she stopped.

" He what?"

" He fell off that cliff but he didn't drown. He was bought to hospital the same night you were and was put into a medically induced coma. The doctors assured me he had no chance of ever waking up. And if he had, he's most likely be a vegetable."

Laura stared at her, trying to comprehend to what she was actually telling her.

" You…lied to me?" Laura whispered. " You looked me in the eyes and told me he drowned that night. I cannot believe you Morag!"

" Laura please-"

" I love you Morag. I trusted you…and you betrayed me!" Laura stood up and threw the newspaper to the floor.

" I had to do it." Morag held out her hands pleadingly.

" Why?" Laura demanded.

Morag sighed again. This was it, the moment of truth was about to come out. " I did it….because I love you."

Laura glared, " You don't lie to someone you love." Laura said, ' Awhile ago you said you didn't want any secrets between us. Well Morag Bellingham, I believe that makes you a hypocrite!"

The words stung. " I also did it to protect you. To protect you and your son."

" Sam Tate could have gone after me or Jacob. So how can you call that protecting?" Laura took a few steps closer. Her eyes were wild, face red.

" I'm very sorry you had to find out about this. I never wanted to hurt you-"

" You've done more than hurt me." Laura snapped and what she done next stunned them both. She gave Morag a stinging slap on the cheek.

" I never want to speak to you again." She whispered fiercely, " Get out of my apartment."

" Laura-"

" I said get out!" Laura shouted. Morag picked up her handbag and left the apartment.

Laura slammed the door shut. She grabbed the paper and threw it in the bin. Then she sank back onto the couch and started to sob.

Morag sat down on the bench and put her face in her hands. Where did things go so wrong? Why couldn't Laura listen to reason? Why didn't she just listen to her?

She's right though. Morag thought, I am a hypocrite.

Her betrayal had just cost her the woman she loved…

Kath walked along the beach and saw Morag Bellingham sitting on a bench not too far away. Morag looked very upset about something and Kath wondered what has happened between her and her sister? She knew about their secret relationship. She knew what had happened between Sam Tate and her sister. She knew everything that has gone on in Laura's life.

She had to know…every last detail. She studied Morag for a little while longer before continuing on her way.

Kath entered the motel and went up to her room. She cut out the newspaper article about Sam's death and tacked it up on her bulletin board. She couldn't even see it now…it was covered with articles that had something to do with her sister, her friends, family and her lover.

It won't be long now.

To Be Contiued....

Comments

Archived