All That You Can't Leave Behind

Guest Adia

• Replies 736
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Thanks for your comments. They're really nice! Here's the next chapter! Enjoy!

ChapterTwo:

Jack sat at his desk and buried his face in his hands. All he could think about was the fight that he had with Martha the night before. He rubbed the centre of his forehead as if to banish those thoughts from his mind.

“You alright there Jack” Lara asked him. “You look like hell.”

“Gee, thanks Fitzy” he said smiling. “Didn’t sleep well that’s all.”

“Sleep on the couch last night did we? I hope you’re not in the dog box already?” she teased.

“How did you guess?” Jack muttered.

“Aww poor baby,’ Lara laughed. “Don’t worry it’s been pretty quiet the last few days. McGrath might have us on paper work duty.”

“Touch wood Lara” Jack said hoping she was right. He knew in the back of his mind that a comment like that was an omen for something to go wrong. The phone rang almost immediately which confirmed Jack’s feeling.

Jack picked up the phone. “Yabbie Creek Police Station, Constable Holden speaking…” he paused and listened intently to the caller. Lara saw the look of concern on his face and waited for Jack to say something. “What? Calm down Irene… we’re on our way okay.” He put the phone down and looked up at Lara. “There’s been a break in at the Diner.” He said worried. “What else?” asked Lara.

“Madge Wilkins was hit by a car a couple of minutes ago. Possibly the guys who robbed the Diner. She’s critical.” Jack and Lara grabbed their police hats and rushed out the door.

When they got to the Diner, Leah, Irene and Alf were standing around trying to salvage some of the wreckage. The chairs and tables had been thrown around everywhere and there was black spray paint lines all over the walls.

“Oh thank god you’re here darl” Irene said rushing over to Jack.

“Guys, if you don’t mind… don’t touch anything else.” Jack said as politely as he could. “There could be some valuable forensic evidence here. We need to find out what happened and who did it.”

Leah and Alf walked over to where Lara and Jack were.

“I can tell you who flamin did it,” Alf said angrily. “It was Johnny Cooper and that gang of his. Those flamin mongrels!”

“Mr Stewart please calm down,” said Lara. “Now who was the first one here?”

“I was.” Irene said shaking. “I opened up the door around seven and Brad was just coming downstairs. He was off to school.” She wiped a tear from her eye and took a deep breath. “About 20 minutes later these hooligans walk in and start demanding that I give them all of the money.”

“Can you identify them?” Jack asked.

“Sorry love, they were all wearing balaclavas and hoods over their heads. I’d recognise that voice that threatened me though! There were about five or six of them”

“What happened after that?” Lara asked her.

“One guy held me down while another one taped my mouth and my hands together. Then they chucked me in the store room. I only got out when Alf and Leah arrived.”

“What time did you get here?” Jack asked turning to Leah. “About eight. I met up with Alf just outside the door, he was running over here to use the phone because of what happened to Madge. We had no idea what had happened till we walked in. Then we heard Irene yelling from out the back…”

“So whoever did may have been the ones that hit Madge Wilkins?” Lara speculated. “Mr Stewart, what exactly did you see?”

Alf thought for a moment. “I was walking here with Colleen. These mongrels in a green ute almost ran us down outside here. Then about 20 metres up the road they hit old Madge. Colleen rushed over there to help her and I ran back this way to use the phone. Colleen's at the hospital."

Jack and Lara nodded. “Thanks guys,” Jack sighed. “If you think of anything else let us know okay? For now we’ll get forensics in here to take a look around.”

Jack walked around and surveyed the damage while Lara contacted the station.

“Well forensics are on their way” Lara told Jack as they walked towards the main counter.

“Yeah, I’ve questioned everyone that I could. They pretty much took everything and then trashed the place. Money’s gone, a few of the staff’s personal belongings. Some stuff from the kitchen…”

As Jack was talking something on the ground caught Lara’s eye. It was a black leather wallet. “Maybe this should give a clue?” she said bending down to pick it up.

“I don’t understand? Who would do something like this and then run over an elderly lady outside?” Jack asked her.

“I’ll give you one guess” she said flicking through the wallet. She handed him an ID card.

Jack sighed and put his notepad back in his pocket. “It’s a lead I guess. Let’s go then.”

ChapterThree:

The bell rang and as all the students filed out of the classroom, Cassie attempted to catch up with Lucas and Matilda but they quickly made their way through the crowd to get away from her. She bumped into Rocco and gave him a foul look. “Watch where you’re going!” she yelled at him. He brushed off her attitude and just smiled. She was more of an out cast now than he was.

As he walked away Lara and Jack made their way to Sally’s classroom. Jack knocked softly on the door and was glad to see Sally there alone.

“Hey Jack” Sally said cheerfully. “Is everything okay. I take it this is not a social visit?”

“Sorry Sal, not this time,” said Jack. “The lady at the office told us that Rocco would be here.”

“Rocco? You just missed him. All the kids have gone off for morning break. Is something wrong?” Sally asked concerned.

“We just need to ask him a few questions” said Lara.

Just then, Brad poked his head in the door. He was a little shocked to see Jack and Lara there, and the smile he had quickly disappeared.

“Hey guys, is everything alright?” he asked.

“Mr Armstrong, we need to talk to one of your students.” Lara told him. “Rocco Cooper? Do you know where we could find him?”

“Not at the moment? What’s this all about?” Brad asked worried.

“We need to know where he was this morning” Jack answered. Sally and Brad looked at each other.

“He was a little late this morning, but he was here,” said Sally.

Brad looked out the window and frowned. Sally could see the concern on his face. “Rocco’s just out there” he said motioning to the window.

Sally was fidgeting anxiously as she waited for Brad to bring Rocco in. “You alright Sal?” Jack asked her.

“Yeah, fine” Sally said laughing it off.

Brad finally came back with Rocco and told him and the officers to go into his office.

As Brad was about to walk in Sally grabbed his arm. “I think I should be in there as well” she said worriedly.

Brad put his hand on her shoulder. “Sally, I don’t think it’s a good idea given how close you are to Rocco. Look if anything happens I’ll be in there with him. I’ll take care of everything okay?”

Rocco sat down in a chair in Brad’s office. He knew what was coming. Jack and Lara walked in, and then finally Brad who sat down at his desk.

“What’s this about?” Rocco asked calmly.

“We just need to ask you a few questions mate,” said Jack.

“Where were you around 7.00 this morning?” Lara asked him.

Rocco thought for a minute. “I was out having a swim at the beach.”

“Were you alone?” Lara asked.

Rocco sighed. “Yeah…” he said slowly.

“Did anyone happen to see you?” Jack asked.

“I don’t know there weren’t many people around.”

“What’s happened Constable?” Brad interjected.

“There was a break in at the Diner this morning?” Jack said hesitantly.

“You’re kidding!” exclaimed Brad.

“Do you recognise this?” Lara said holding up the wallet.

Rocco patted down his jeans. “It’s mine,” he admitted.

“Ms Fletcher told us you were late for roll call this morning can you explain that?” Jack asked.

Rocco looked sullenly at the ground. There was no way he could get out of this. He was criminal after all, and they wouldn’t take notice of anything he said.

“I had a word with Rocco this morning before class” Brad said suddenly. “I had a talk to him about his geography assignment that’s why he was late. As far as know Rocco was here at school about 7.45. That’s when we started talking.”

Jack raised his eyebrow. “Okay then. So how did your wallet end up at the Diner?”

“I don’t know?” Rocco said still shocked at what Brad had said. “I went for swim this morning, someone could have come along and taken my wallet then?”

Jack nodded. “We’ll need to keep this as evidence from the crime scene. You’ll get it back when we’re done.”

Jack and Lara stood up and thanked Brad and Rocco for their co-operation. “We may need to talk to you again, but thanks for your help.” Jack said.

Brad breathed a sigh of relief as the officers finally left.

“Mr Armstrong, I’m not sure what to say?” said Rocco.

“Don’t say anything, I saw when you arrived at school anyway, but any slight suspicion on your where abouts could get you into trouble. I know we got off to a rough start, but Ms Fletcher believes in you and I’m willing to give you a chance. Just don’t let her down okay?” Rocco nodded as Sally entered the room.

“What happened?” she asked.

“There was a break in at the diner,” Brad answered picking up the phone.

“What? Who are you calling?” Sally said conflicted.

“Alf… I just hope everything in the flat is okay.” Brad looked over at Rocco. “You can go now, tell Mr Baker that you were here, and if asks questions tell him to take it up with me.” Rocco nodded and left.

As Rocco rushed out of the office he saw a young girl in the hallway being pushed by a man. At first he mistook the guy for Johnny but as he walked closer he saw that it was someone else.

“Don’t touch me” the girl said angrily.

“You’ll do what I bloody well tell you too. What are you looking at you freak?” the guy said callously to him.

“Nothing” said Rocco. He looked on as the guy pushed the girl into the office. He knew exactly how she felt.

The arrival of the new student causes more tension in the community.

Rocco confronts Johnny at the worst possible time.

Jack accepts a proposal.

Great chapters. Im glad Brad covered for Rocco, i like Brad in this fic :) Stupid Johnny and gang *slaps them* Poor mystery girl :( Poor Jack, still in the dog box/house. I wonder what proposal he accepts :unsure: Cant wait for more :D

Please update soon :D

I thought i'd have time to get through what i wanted to write, but i only had time to do the first part. Here it is though...

ChapterFour:

Jack and Lara sat in McGrath’s office discussing the events of the morning.

“Well check out this mystery green ute before you go any further” McGrath said sternly. “Johnny Cooper and his gang may be criminals, but they’re not idiots.”

McGrath handed them some files. “It’s some of the things they’ve done in other towns, see if you can find some sort of pattern.”

Jack and Lara nodded in agreement. “What about Rocco?” Jack asked. “Maybe he can help us catch them?”

Lara scoffed at him. “Jack, when was the last time somebody’s brother turned them in? It’s not likely to happen, even if we try and force it. Look, I’ll get onto this green ute. It might be a really good lead.” McGrath nodded. “Don’t try any of your super cop tactics Jack,” he warned. “It’s not a good idea in this case.” Jack flashed him a confused look.

As they all walked out of the office and into the main foyer of the police station a rough looking guy came into the station. He wore baggy dark blue jeans and a black leather jacket that covered his dirty and torn white shirt. The gel in his dark brown spiky hair looked like it had never been washed out. His eyes were his softest feature, but you would have to look close to notice. He was rough, but his eyes seemed to have a brilliant sparkle about them.

McGrath took one look at him and sighed. “You’re actually on time today. Are you feeling sick?” he asked the guy.

“Oh shut it old man,’ he said viciously. “I’ve done what you asked. I took my sister and enrolled her at school. What else do you want from me?”

His tongue rolled over his lip piercing and he looked directly at Lara. “I think I might like it in this town” he grinned. Lara rolled her eyes and McGrath quickly pushed the guy away. “My office, NOW!” he yelled at him. The guy licked his lips before taking a last look at Lara and walking into the office. McGrath walked over to the main desk. “Can you pass me those files over there Jack” he asked.

Jack reached around to where McGrath was pointing. “Senior, who is that guy?” he asked handing him the files.

“You don’t know?” McGrath said stunned. “Jake Rogers. The guy is on parole, committed some serious violent crimes, drug dealing, you name it. He makes Johnny Cooper look like a saint. If they get together, it could spell serious consequences for this town.”

“So he’s here to do his parole checks?” said Jack.

“I think I may be able to get through to him. He has a younger sister – she’s been in a fair bit of trouble as well, but he cares a hell of a lot about her. I think if keep on his case, he might come to his senses and change for the better.”

Jack nodded. “Well good luck with that Sir,” he said hopeful.

McGrath’s explanation hadn’t cured Jack’s curiosity about Jake Rogers. He walked over to the computer and typed in his name. He skimmed over Jake’s criminal record. It was as bad as McGrath had said. He went into another screen and pulled up Jake’s sister’s record. He read over it carefully. He was almost in shock. He could believe that someone like Jake Rogers was capable of violent crimes, but he could not believe a seventeen year old girl could do the things that were on her record. If that really was the case, the students at Summer Bay High were in a lot of trouble.

Archived