Spiral (Part One)

Guest Natasha

CHAPTER TWENTY

Morag inspected the blood, there wasn't much but just enough to be worried. She checked the rest of the apartment, none of the other rooms remained untouched. She went back into the living room.

She tried calling Laura's phone but got no reply. She wished she had Jacob's number but didn't. She then called Detective Peter Baker and told him what happened. He assured her he'd be there right away.

About twenty minutes later, Detective Baker arrived with a couple of forensics officers. They immediately started to analyze the scene as Baker turned to Morag.

" So what happened here?"

" Sam Tate was meant to collect his son from Laura…I don't know what happened here." Morag told him impatiently. She grabbed her keys and handbag and started to leave the apartment.

" Wait a minute, where are you going?"

" To look for them." Morag replied, " we're wasting valuable time Detective." She said and was out the door before Peter could blink an eye.

Laura opened her eyes and found herself staring at Sam Tate. He gave her his lop-sided grin, " About time you woke up sleeping beauty."

Laura's hand reached out and tried to unlock her door but Sam reached for something on his dashboard and pressed it against her temple. A gun. " I wouldn't even try." He growled.

Laura raised her hand to rub her temple and her fingers came away with blood. The gash on her forehead had split open. She also felt something sticky and warm on the back of her head-she touched it gingerly. More blood.

" Sam….where are you taking me?" she whispered as he drove. They were well out of Summer Bay.

" Wait and see." He said grimly, " We're almost there." He put the gun down in his lap and continued to drive.

Morag started asking people if they saw anything suspicious during the last two hours. One told her a car had been roaring pass the Diner, breaking the speed limit.

" It was a red Mazda." The guy told Morag, " a guy was driving it. It was heading out of town."

Morag turned to Peter, " That's Laura's car. He stole her car."

Peter spoke into his radio, " We've had a few more sightings of a car breaking the speed limit."

Morag started to head for her car but Peter grabbed her arm, " If you do anything stupid, you would risk putting Laura in even more danger. I want you stay put,"

Morag wrenched her arm free, " That's simply out of the question." She said firmly.

" Then you'll be coming with me." Peter opened the door to his car and Morag reluctantly climbed in.

They drove in the direction Laura's car was last seen headed.

Jacob walked along aimlessly, wondering what he had gotten himself into. Obviously he hadn't thought his plan through. He had arrived in Yabbie Creek, but where would he stay and how could he afford accommodation? He had his allowance in his wallet-fifty dollars and he had his bank account but two hundred dollars would not last long.

As he shuffled along the footpath, he realized this idea had been stupid. His mother would be worried and so would his father. He turned and started to walk back to the bus station.

God, I am so stupid sometimes, Jacob cursed under his breath as he checked the bus timetable, I should have just accepted the fact Dad has full custody of me and there is nothing I can do about it. He turned on his phone and checked his messages-one from both parents, from two hours ago but none since. He was a little surprised, he would have thought he would have gotten heaps of them by now.

He rang his mother's mobile but got voice mail. Perhaps she was driving-looking for him.

C'mon, pick up. He urged his mother but gave up. He sighed and sat down at the bus shelter. The bus wasn't due for another hour.

He glanced at the newsagent across the road and wondered if he should get something to eat. He was starving, it was well past lunch time. He got up and started walking towards it.

As he walked, a car beeped loudly behind him, making him jump. He whirled to glare at the driver but his heart soared-the driver was Beth Hunter!

" What are you doing here Jacob?" Beth called, sticking her head out of the window. She had been in Yabbie Creek for a meeting with the bank.

" I don't know." He replied honestly.

She opened the passenger door and he climbed inside gratefully.

" Are you on your way home?" he asked hopefully.

" Yes…fancy seeing you here though. How did you get here?"

" I caught a bus."

" But why?"

" It's a long story." Jacob replied miserably, " Please, can't you just take me home?"

Beth nodded and did just that. Jacob pretended to nod off so he wouldn't have to ask any more questions.

Sam pulled Laura out of the car and pressed the gun to her temple. She started to kick at him but that didn't faze him as he started to drag her towards the end of the cliff.. He looked down at the choppy water and sharp rocks. He turned so that Laura was facing the sea.

" Why?" Laura sobbed as she felt the cold metal press against her temple. The gash was bleeding profusely now, she could even taste it on her lips and it made her want to gag.

Sam didn't answer the question, " It will be Jacob's turn after you." He told her, " My original plan had been to kill him in front of you, but he did a runner. Stupid, stupid boy."

" Leave Jacob out of this." Laura pleaded as tears ran down her blood-slicked face.

" Haven't you figured it out by now?" Sam demanded, " This isn't about us. It's about Jacob, it has always been him. Ever since he was born he was number one in your life. It was never me." Sam replied, " This is why I hate you both." His finger moved towards the trigger.

Laura panicked, " Sam-" she began where they heard a roaring noise. Sam looked up and cursed, it was the cops. How did they manage to find him?

The doors opened and out came Peter Baker, two more cops and Morag Bellingham.

Morag went white when she saw the danger her girlfriend was in. They didn't know it, but they were standing preciously close to the edge. It would only take one slip/

" Sam," Peter began, " I'd step away from the edge, you're standing on some really rocky ground."

" I knew you'd turn up eventually." Sam replied, directing his gaze at Morag, " what are you doing here anyway? This has nothing to do with you."

Morag stared at Sam. He was standing there, pressing a gun to Laura's head, but he wasn't all there. His eyes were cold and hard, there was simply no…spark in them.

" Sam. Just move away from the edge." Peter said again in a more soothing tone. Laura looked at Morag, " Have you found Jacob?"

" No, we came to look for you." Morag replied as Peter started inching his way towards the pair.

" Get back!" Sam shouted, " Get back or she's dead!"

Laura gazed at Morag hoping she would read the sign she was trying to send her way before lashing out and kicking Sam in the shin. He howled out in agony as pain seared through his leg.

Then it happened.

The ground beneath them crumbled and they both fell backward. Laura grabbed at Sam to try and regain her balance but that didn't work. She felt herself fall through empty space and then there was nothing but blackness.

• Replies 21
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Here it is. The last chapter. I will give you a little teaser for Part II.

EPLIOUGE

Everything seemed to happen in slow motion. Morag stood helplessly as her girlfriend stared at her, sending her a message with her eyes which Morag clearly understood.

I Love You.Morag had wanted to return the sentiment but it was too late.

She had lost Laura. It wasn't fair, she had only just found her.

TO BE CONTINUED...

Next time on Home And Away...

Morag and Laura become prime suspects when Josh West is murdered! How far will Morag go to keep her secret?

Comments

Archived