Perfect Rainbow

Guest xGlowingAngelx

Chapter 11

Jack awoke feeling happy and bright. Today was the day Martha was coming back, and he'd decide to definately tell her today. He knew it could all go wrong, and the new found friendship he'd formed with Carl would be in ruins, but he had to take the risk.

Whistling happily, he climbed from his bed and walked into the bathroom to take a shower, emerging half an hour later. After numerous 'umm's and 'ahh's he'd settled for wearing a light blue shirt with buttons all the way down and long sleeves, teamed with a pair of faded jeans.

-------

He sat downstairs, checking the clock every five minutes, waiting for her to arrive. His mobile phone flashed several times and his heart raced thinking it could be her calling. It wasn't.

He walked into the kitchen and poured himself a cup of coffee. The millionth one he'd had that morning. As he drank it, he couldn't help but smile at thoughts of her. So many questions ran through his mind. How would he tell her? Should he tell her gently? Shouldhe just confess everything? Will she turn him down? How will he react?

Questions seemed to be spiining around in his mind, making him slightly dizzy and a lot more uncomfortable than he had been.

Eventually, he recieved a text from her:

Sorry it took so long to get in touch, I was late back after the car broke down. How are you? I'd really like to see you, but Carl's insisting we be alone for a few hours. What are we? Married? Not yet. Anyway, when you get this, can you come round? I don't care what Carl says, I really need to see you. I have something to tell you. See you later. Love Martha xxx

Jack quickly stood up and pulled on his jacket. She'd said she really needed to see him. Better still, she had something to tell him. Was it good news? Was it bad news? Jack couldn't wait to find out. He grabbed his door keys from the table and raced from the house.

Was this the one thing he'd been waiting for?

Chapter 12

As he'd arrived at the house, Jack had held back on knocking for a few moments, whilst he tried gathering his thoughts together. He took a few deep breaths before knocking on the door. He tapped his fingers on the door frame whilst he was waiting for an answer.

'Hey Jack, come in. I'm just going' Carl had smiled, walking past Jack. Jack turned to see him hope down the front steps. 'You not staying?' he asked.

Carl shook his head. 'No. I'm going to meet some of the lads for a drink. If you get bored later, come and find us' he laughed. Jack smiled and nodded.

He watched as Carl walked down the street, his hands in his pockets and his head down. He then turned and walked in the front door.

'Mac, you here?' he asked. No reply. 'Mac?' he shouted again. He saw Martha apper at the top of the stairs, wearing only a towel, and couldn't control the blush creeping on his face.

'I'll be down in a minutes, I'm just getting dressed' she replied. 'Stick the kettle on'

Jack smiled and walked into the kitchen. He poured water into the kettle and placed it on the stand, flicking the on switch. A loud whistle echoed as the water began boiling.

Waiting for Martha, Jack sat down on the table and placed his head in his hands. A few moments later, he heard foot steps and turned to see Martha in the kitchen, dressed in jeans and a t shirt. Her hair was ringing wet and was dangling over her shoulders.

'So, what's up?' Jack asked. His stomach felt like it was spinning around. Martha pulled a chair out and sat on it besides Jack.

'I erm... I have something to tell you' she said. Jack nodded.

'Yes, I know that, but what is it?'

Martha looked down a bit her bottom lip. 'You remember a few weeks back, when Carl was away?' Jack nodded. 'Yes, I remember'

'Well I'm.....pregnant'

-------------------------

flashback - 6 weeks earlier

'Hey, you ready?' Jack called as he walked into the flat. He entered the living room and found Martha curled on the sofa, crying. He carefully approached her and knelt besides her. 'What's wrong?' he'd asked,so delicately.

Martha placed her head in her hands. 'We had a massive row about the wedding. He said he wasn't going to be there if Macca was there, after the fight they had last week. I screamed that if Macca wasn't there, then i wouldn't be. We ended up having a huge row, and I told him that if it was going to be like this, then perhaps we shouldn't get married. He stormed out' she sobbed.

Jack enveloped her into a hug, gently brushing his fingers through her hair. 'Shh' he whispered. 'It will all work out ok. I promise'

Martha continued sobbing. Eventually she lifted her head up. Jack smiled. 'He'd be a fool if he didn't marry you' he said, trying to make her feel better. Martha smiled gratefully.

'What am I going to do, Jack?' she cried. 'I feel like I'm being pulled between them'

Jack held her tighter. He remained silent, listening to her gentle sobs, and it broke his heart. 'Look at me' she said, a few moments later, peeling her head away from Jack's shoulder. 'You must think I'm a right saddo' she laughed. Jack shook his head.

'I'd never think that. You're the most beautiful girl in the world. Carl's the jerk, not you' he laughed.

Martha smiled. 'Thank you' she said, looking at him. Jack felt a spark fly between them, as their lips brushed together. He waited for a moment, expect her to pull away. When she didn't he continued. They began peeling one anothers clothes off, all the while, their lips still pressed together.

-------------------

Jack stared at Martha. 'You mean?'

Martha nodded. 'Yes Jack, there's a chance this baby could be yours'

Chapter 13

Jack sat on the sofa, staring into space. Numb. He hadn't said anything since the revelation, and the tense silence was starting to become unbearable for Martha. Quietly, she moved and sat besides him, placing her hand on his shoulder. The silence remained, as they both secretly wished for the other to say something. anything.

'Is it mine?' Jack spoke. Martha looked at him and nodded.

Jack stood up. 'No. It can't be' he said, the anger building inside him. 'It could be Carl's' he said. It was more of a question than a statement. Martha shook her head. 'No. Carl and I haven't 'slept together' for a while. We were having so many rows, that was how we ended up....you know'

'No. I don't believe you. How do I know you're not making this up?'

Martha stared at him in disbelief. 'What? Why would I? It's not like I'd want to have a baby with my best friend. It's not like I want to ruin my relationship with Carl' she snapped, standing up.

Jack had never seen her so worked up before, and it worried him. Her face was red and she looked like she was about to burst out crying.

Realising he'd over stepped the mark, he turned to her, regretfully. 'I'm sorry' he said. 'It's just a shock. I mean one minute we're out looking for wedding dresses, and the next you're telling me you're pregnant'

'I know' she said. 'It was a shock to me too' Jack smiled, sadly. He understood how confused she must be.

'So, I take it you haven't told Carl?' he asked.

Martha shook her head. 'No. I can't. He'll figure it out, I know he will'

'No he won't. Trust me, as a guy, I know we don't think of them things' he said. Martha looked thoughtful for a moment. 'Yeh, but the doctors will know, at scans and stuff. What if they say something?'

'They won't. Even if they did, would Carl really realise?' Martha shrugged. 'I don't know. I'm scared, Jack. I love Carl so much. H'es the one person I've ever truely loved. There's nobody in the world I'd ever want to be with besides him. Now I could lose it all'

Jack remained silent, before replying. 'No you won't. You and Carl are meant to be. A match made in heaven and well....' It killed him to be saying these things to her. 'Well, if you two truely love each other, you can work through it.'

She looked up to face him. 'You really think so?'

Jack nodded. 'Yes, I do' he said softly.

'Thank you' she smiled, resting her head on his chest. 'No problem' Jack replied, gently brushing his fingers through her hair and lightly kissing her head. All the while, his heart aching for her.

Ohhh I lost the fic, it had slipped to page 4, so I thought I'd best update before it goes all together! :P

Chapter 14

'You feeling better?.' Jack asked, handing Martha a cup of coffee. She smiled weakly at him. 'I guess. I'm sorry'

Jack smiled. 'Don't be sorry. I do think we need to talk though' he stated. Martha nodded. 'Yeh, we do' she agreed. Silence fell upon them as they both struggled for what to say. Martha was first to talk. 'I don't want you to feel pressured by this. It's up to you whether you're involved in this childs life or not'

Jack nodded. 'I know. I just....I'm confused'

'Me too' Martha replied. 'Carl and I never really spoke about kids. We never planned anything like that. And now I'm pregnant, and it's not even his baby.'

Jack stared at her. Before he could stop himself, he spoke. 'He doesn't need to know' he said. Martha looked at him, confused. 'What do you mean?' she asked. Taking a deep breath, Jack sat besides her and grasped her hand with his. 'I mean, we don't need to tell him the baby's mine'

'What?' Martha spoke, her mind spinning. What was Jack saying? He looked at the floor awkwardly. 'You love Carl. I know you do. I know you want to be with him'

'Yeh but this is your child' she said, tears in her eyes as confusion swept over her. 'Are you telling me that you can just give up? Watch another man raise your child? Allow that man to believe it's his child?'

Jack placed his head in his hands. 'I don't know Martha. I just.... I know that if you tell him this baby's mine, it'll be the end for you two. Is that what you want?'

Martha remained silent for a few moments, eventually shaking her head. 'No. It's not'

Jack sighed. 'Right. Then tell him it's his. Ignore the dates, they can easily be wrong. Just concentrate on your relationship for now' he smiled, trying to remain strong.

Martha nodded. 'And you?'

Jack stood up. 'I'm ok. I want you to be happy. That's all I've ever wanted. So...'

'What?'

Jack looked at his feet and looked back up. 'I think it's best if I stay away for a while. Give you and Carl time alone' he said, trying to hide his pain at saying at. Martha, although it hurt her too, nodded in understandment.

----

'So, this is it?' Martha whispered as Jack opened the front door to leave. Jack nodded. Slowly, he puleld her closer to him, and enveloped her into a hug. 'It won't be too long. I will come back. I just think you need a few weeks alone, without me'

Martha smiled, weakly. She watched as Jack opened the front door. 'Jack' she called after him. Jack turned to look at her. 'What is it?'

Martha felt a tear trickle down her cheek. 'I love you'

Jack nodded. 'I love you too' he said, before turning away and walking out of Martha's life....

Chapter 15

Martha awoke the next morning feeling sad and alone. She rolled onto her side and watched as Carl slept beside her. She felt a pain in her heart as she thought of the evnts from the night before. She hadn't wanted for things with Jack to go that far, but they did. Now she felt more alone than ever. Sure, she had Carl and the baby, but what happens when things get a little rough with Carl? Or they have a row and she just needs a shoulder to cry on, who would she turn to?

Sure, she had other friends, but none of them knew her like Jack did. He knew everything about her. From the day they met, they spent little time apart.

Suddenly feeling saddned, Martha climbed from the bed and walked into the bathroom. She closed the door, locking it so Carl wouldn't walk in if he got up. She stared at her reflection in the mirror above the sink. Her face was pale, making the redness of her eyes stand out and her hair hung, lifeless, over her shoulders. She turned the cold tap on and cupped water into her hands, splashing it across her face. The coldness from it sent a shiver down her spine. She swung her head back up and patted her face dry with a towel.

She placed her hand on her stomach. It seemed weird to think there was another life inside her. A life that depended on her. That needed her. She rubbed her stomach gently and smiled. Everything that was going on around her seemed to disappear when she thought about the baby.

She and Carl had never discussed children, although she was unsure of whether it was because they were both afraid of bringing the subject up, or because it wasn't something she thought either of them would ever want. But now they had it and, if the truth be told, Martha was excited. She knew it was a long way of, she hadn't even told Carl yet, but that was something she would do in her own time.

Everything spun around in her head. Her immeadiate reaction to discovering she ws pregnant was to confess her one stand with Jack to Carl, but she couldn't bring herself to tell him. Every time she opened her mouth, she just couldn't seem to find the words and had ended up saying something like she wanted to go out for a meal, or she wanted to visit some friends.

She knew she had to tell him eventually but, deep down, she didn't want to. Alhtough it pained her to admit it, sometimes she just wanted to be alone. Just her and the baby. The rest of the world would fade away. It would be just the two of them. But this was real life, and it was something you couldn't avoid.

-------

A knock on the door snapped her back to reality. 'You OK babe?' she heard Carls voice speak. Martha smiled. 'Yeh, I'm fine. I'm coming' she called back. Turning to the mirror, she gave her reflection one last look and sighed. 'Here goes' she said. Slowly she opened the door and came face to face with Carl.

'Whoa, you OK? You don't look to good?' he asked, placing a hand on Martha's shoulder. She took a deep breath. 'Yeh, I'm OK....I think.'

'You think?'

'Yeh. The truth is, I have something to tell you'.....

Chapter 16 (Another short one. Sorry)

Carl sat back on the sofa, numb with shock. Martha placed her hand on his shoulder. 'Say something' she spoke, desperate to fill the silence. Carl raised his eyebrows.

'I don't know what to say' he replied. He turned to face Martha. 'When?' he stumbled. Martha shook her head. 'A few weeks ago. I know I should have told you straight away but I didn't want to lose you'. She replied. Carl ran his fingers through his hair.

'Without saying a word, he stood up and began walking out of the room. Martha stood too and followed him. 'Where you going?' she asked as he reached the front door. Carl shrugged. 'I don't know. I just need to go for a walk. I just....I just need to be alone'

'Well, don't be too long. Please' she begged. Carl ignored her comment and opened the door. 'I'll see you later' he whispered. As he closed the door. Martha felt tears sting her eyes, falling down her cheek.

She slowly walked back into the living room. She felt confused. Carls reaction hadn't been what she'd though it would. It hadn't been what she hoped. She knew he'd be shocked, but she didn't think he'd react like that.

Suddenly she felt herself wanting to call Jack. In times like this, they'd turn to each other and help each other, but she knew that involving Jack would only make things more complicated. After he'd walked out of the door, she'd told herself over and over again to forget about him, but she just couldn't.

He was her best friend. He knew everything about her. Without him, sh almost felt like something was missing. She just wanted the chance to tell him how she felt. To tell him that no matter what happens, he'll always be her best friend.

But most of all she wanted to tell him that she did love him. That she always had. But deep down, she knew she couldn't. No matter how big the temptation, she had to resist. Slowly, she slumped onto the couch whilst tears rolled down her cheeks.

Nothing made sense to her. The events of the last few weeks had changed her life, and the truth was, she wasn't sure how she felt any more. One thing she had realised was that she couldn't marry Carl yet, not whilst things were still so complicated...

• 1 month later...

I'm baaacccckkk!!! (For now....)

Chapter 17

Martha sat in front of her dressing table and glared at her reflection. Part of her wanted to cry and the other part of her wanted to tell her how awful she was and that she didn't deserve either Jack or Carl, but the truth was, she couldn't face the harsh reality of being alone.

The sound of the front door opening and then shutting again snapped her ack to reality. Taking a deep breath, she walked to the top of the stairs in time to see Carl closing the front door as he walked in. 'Where you've been?' she asked, trying to remain calm. Carl looked at her blankly and walked into the living room. Martha followed him. 'We have to talk'

'That's funny. I thought you already did. You know, before?' his voice was filled with a mixture of emotions and Martha wasn't sure of whether to walk away from him or beg him to hold her. 'Please, Carl. I am trying here'

'Oh, I'm sorry. Am I being rude?' he didn't seem the least bit sorry. Not that Martha could blame him. He was angry. He was hurting. But she didn't mean to make him feel that way. Martha sighed. 'You know what?' she looked at Carl, as though waiting for him to answer. He shrugged his shoulders. 'No. What?'

'That's it' Martha snapped. 'I'm not speaking to you whilst you're like this. You've not even given me the chance to explain'

'Don't worry. I've heard enough' he muttered. Martha stared at him for a few seconds before shaking her head and walking towards the door.

'Why don't you call me when you're ready to discuss this properly'

'Discuss what, Martha?' Carl voice was quivering. Martha shook her head. 'I wanted to make this work for the baby, but if all you can think about is yourself and how you're feeling, then maybe I'm...No, maybe we're both, better off without you' the words crawled from her lips so easily, yet she wasn't sure if she meant them.

'You can't walk away from me, Martha!' Carl called as he watched her disappear down the street. 'I won't let you. You're having my baby and whether you like it or not, taht's the truth. You go ahead and run to Jack, but I'm telling you now, there's no way I'm letting you take my baby away from me!'

Martha turned the corner and stopped. Leaning herself against the wall, she began to sob hysterically. She felt her head spin. Grabbing the wall, she tried, and failed to prop herself up. She tried calling for help, but her voice was too weak. It was the last thing she remembered, before she blacked out completely...

---

OK, Yes, I know it's short, but I couldn't think of what to write in that chapter.

Chapter 18

Martha awoke some time later in unfamiliar surroundings. A few seconds of deep breaths and she slowly turned her head to see Jack and Carl sat beside her bed. Somebody was gripping her hand tightly, but she wasn't sure of who it was. 'What happened?' she muttered, her throat dry. Carl attempted a weak smile at her. Jack sat brushing her hair away from her face. 'You fainted' she heard Carl say. 'The doctor says from your heart rate, it seems stress related'

Martha remembered the few moments that occured before she left the house. The row she'd had with Carl. Storming out on him. 'Is my baby OK?' She felt the person let go of her hand and realised it was Carl. She looked at Jack, who smiled through his tears. 'Your baby's fine' he informed her. Martha felt a wave of relief spread over her.

'Who found me?' she asked. Jack nodded towards Carl. 'That would be Carl. He phoned me after you arrived here. I came straight away' Martha remained silent for a few moments, before turning to Jack. 'Can you leave Carl and I alone for a moment please?' she asked. Jack paused for a few moments, before nodding. 'Sure' he said, as he got up and left the room. 'I'm sorry' she muttereed. Carl nodded. 'I know. That's not what's important right now. We'll sort that out when you're better'

'What have you told people?'

'What about?' Carl asked.

'The wedding. It's supposed to be happening in two weeks. People are going to need to know what's going on'

'I've not told them anything yet. I don't know what's happening myself, Martha. It's all too confusing.' He looked away from her for a few moments and then looked back at her. 'You love him, right?' Martha nodded. 'Yeh. I'm sorry, but I do'

'Right, you're having his baby. Me? I'm no part of this.' he stated. Martha shook her head. 'That's not true. I love you too. I always have.'

'Yeh, but not the same way you love Jack. And then there's the baby. I don't want to keep a family apart because of my feelings'

'So, what are you saying?' Martha asked, half sure, half not. Carl held back tears. 'Go to Jack, Martha. Be with someone who you love and who loves you back, not with someone you don't love. And then there's your baby'

Martha closed her eyes to avoid the tears rolling down her cheeks. Carl loosened his grip on her hand and leant over to kiss her softly on the cheek. 'Take care of yourself. Be happy. Oh, and let me know when you've had the baby. I'd love to come and see him...' he trailed off, remembering the arguments they'd had over what sex the baby would be. 'Or her' he concluded. 'If that's ok?'

Martha nodded. 'Of course'. She watched as he left the hospital room, a mixture of emotions running through her.

-----

A few minutes later, Jack walked in. Martha smiled at him. He smiled back. 'I saw Carl on his way out' he told her. She didn't reply. Jack sat on the chair by her bed, and gripped her hand tightly. 'It's good though, right? It means we can be together'

Martha pulled her hand away. Jack looked at her, confused. 'What is it?' he asked. Martha wiped a falling tear away. 'I'm sorry Jack, I can't be with you. The truth is, I think I need to be alone. You can still have everything to do with this baby. And who knows? Maybe somewhere down the line, we can be together. Just not yet' She waited for him to reply.

He didn't. Instead, he stood up and walked towards the door. 'Where you going?' she pleaded. Jack looked at her, his face red and puffy. 'I thought you said you needed to be alone' he said, and turned and walked out, leaving Martha sobbing into the pillow.

Chapter 19

Martha, having been allowed home, had sat herself on the end of the sofa, looking at her empty house. Her head flooded with memories of the two people she's loved, and hurt, the most. Her head throbbing, she decided the best option was a long soak in a hot bubble bath, followed by an early night. Picking up a magazing from the coffee table, she headed towards the bathroom and turned the hot tap on. She poured in some lavender bubble bath and watched for a few moments as it drifted into one, forming a long stream of crisp white bubbles.

Turning off the tap, she was about to climb in, when a knock at the door stopped her in her tracks. Pulling on her thick woolen house coat, she emerged from the bathroom and walked to the front door. She opened it and was shocked to see Jack stood there. 'Jack,'

'Hey, can I come in?' he asked. Martha squinted. 'I was just about to have a bath actually,' she replied, hoping it was obvious she didn't want his company. Ignoring her, Jack walked in. 'It won't take long'

'OK'

Jack walked to her and took her hands in his. 'Look, I know you don't want to see me right now and I understand that, but I won't let you shut me out'

Martha looked at him, unsure of what to reply. Jack continued talking. 'Look, I know you don't want to deal with any of this right now, but if you'll just give me a chance'

'A chance?'

'Yes. I love you, Martha. I don't want to throw away what could be one of the best things ever to happen to me because she's confused'

'But that's just it Jack, I am confused. A few weeks ago I was planning my wedding, not caring. Now, I've lost my fiance and I'm pregnant'

'I'm not asking you to marry me' he laughed. 'I'm just asking you to give us a chance. Please'

Martha took a deep breath. 'I want to, Jack, but we can't'

'Yes, we can' he cut in. 'It'll be a fresh start, just you, me and the baby'

Martha was hesitant. 'How do I know this will work?'

'You don't. That's why we take it slow. Get to know each other again. properly. If we don't think it will work, we stay friends.'

After a few minutes, Martha smiled. Without replying, she leaned in and kissed Jack softly. 'It's a deal' and they kissed once again, sealing it.

----The End----

Ah well, I hope you enjoyed reading it. :)

Comments

Archived