A Forgotten Danger

Guest -Annie-

• Replies 91
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Sorry for the delay my little pumpkins! But the next chapter is here. :) A massive thankyou to jackandmartha!!! for her help. Oh, and thanks to Nicole for helping with the last chapter, sorry, I forgot to mention you before! :P

Chapter Two

The steady crashing of the rolling waves filled Martha’s ears as she jogged along the beach. It was only 7.00, but Martha knew that she couldn’t have faced Jack when he woke up. She had just needed to get out. Martha could feel the tears building up as she increased the pace of her run. Now bolting down the beach, Martha let out a strangled sob. Not watching where she was going, she tripped on a sandy rock and fell to the ground. Her hands stinging, her mind ablur, Martha sobbed into her arms.

Warm and peaceful, Jack felt wonderful curled up in the blankets of his bed. However, a stream of light beaming through the curtain was tormenting him. Deciding it was time to wake up, Jack rolled over and whispered,

“Martha.”

The fuzzy feeling that had warmly inhabited his body was instantly gone. The events of the previous night streamed into his mind, causing a frustrated groan to escape his lips.

As the tears slowly subsided, Martha felt a warm hand rub her back. She turned around to see Tasha smiling sympathetically at her. The tears started flowing again as Martha wept into her best friend’s shoulder.

Ten minutes later, Martha and Tasha walked down the beach, the atmosphere fragile with Martha’s current state.

“So what are you going to do?” gently asked Tasha. The question had been biting at the back of Martha’s mind since yesterday, but she still couldn’t figure out the answer.

“I have absolutely no idea,” replied Martha, wiping the tears from her eyes.

“Listen Mac, it might sound a bit blunt, but, do you think you’re overreacting just a tincy bit?” queried Tasha. Although Martha knew Tasha was right, her pride was too strong to agree.

“What?! Tash, who’s side are you on anyway?! This isn’t just about last night! Jack is always the leader in our marriage, and I’m fed up! All I expect is some sympathy and understanding from you! Not a lecture!” Martha exclaimed. And with that, Martha took off again, jogging down the beach.

“Mac! I didn’t mean it like that….” cried Tasha. But she knew her apologies were falling on deaf ears; they wouldn’t change Martha’s mind. Martha could be as stubborn as a bull, and Tasha knew it.

‘She just needs some time. She would never break up with Jack. Especially over this!’ thought Tasha. Her mind still filled with doubt, she walked back up the sandy shores.

Meanwhile, back at the house, Jack stirred his cup of coffee, deep in thought. The familiar scent of Martha’s peppermint tea was absent from the morning air, and Jack felt horrible. Desperate for Martha to return, Jack walked over and pressed the auto dial on his mobile.

“Beep beep,” sang the familiar tone of Martha’s mobile from the coffee table.

‘Dammit, she left her phone here,’ thought Jack.

As time slowly ticked away, Jack knew he had to get to work. He was already late. Despite wanting to apologise to Martha, he knew that she wouldn’t be home in any hurry.

Just before leaving the house, Jack scribbled a quick note, telling Martha he would be home by 6.00. He was tempted to write a small sorry, but he knew no single word was going to make a stubborn Martha forgive him.

“Well, good afternoon Holden!” smiled McGrah, “It’s a pleasure for you to finally turn up.”

“But Searg, it’s only 10.30! It’s still morning,” replied Jack. As soon as the words escaped his lips, Jack realised that McGrah wasn’t giving him a friendly greeting, but a sarcastic one.

“Constable, you were due in at 9.30! Not 10.00, not 10.30, but 9.30! Get your act together boy!” grunted McGrah as he waddled back to the office.

“Bad morning?” asked Fitzy sympathetically.

“Don’t get me started,” replied Jack.

-

“Martha! I’m home!” exclaimed Jack, walking through the doorway, “And, I’m on time too!” Jack got a massive shock when he saw the state of the house. The stuffing from the cushions had been ripped out, and the family photos lay in pieces on the ground.

“What the…?” muttered Jack. However, the mess of the house slipped out of his mind as Jack’s eye caught the bottom of dining table. No shoes. Those fluffy uggboots that Martha always wears. Curious, Jack walked into the bedroom. He opened each wardrobe door, peering at the empty doors. Jack could feel his heart falling into a thousand pieces as he realised the meaning of the stolen clothes and messy house. Martha had left him. Those three words could have haunted him forever. Judging by the mess, she had left in a furious state too.

-

Peering in at Jack’s devastated face through the bedroom window, the masked man let an evil smile fill his face.

“Perfect!” He took a quick glance down at the filled suitcases and another at the unconscious body behind him.

‘At last, revenge,’ thought the man. ‘Jack thought that Martha was gone. Nobody will suspect where Martha really is.’

As the masked man knelt down to stroke an unconscious Martha’s face, her eyes snapped open. The masked man saw a look of pure horror in Martha’s eyes as she caught sight of a face that she knew only too well.

Archived