Clarissa House

Guest Willz

I think Beth is underused a lot. She is great as the wife and mother and Clarissa is fantastic when she has emotionally charged scenes to play. But she doesn't really have much of a point in the show outside the Hunter/Holden house.

And I think it would be easy to axe Beth as she hasn’t really made a huge impact on the show, purely due to writing as mentioned. Clarissa House is a fantastic actress, I love her style and especially her real heart rendering stuff, she nails it every time. Back to my initial point though, I’ve said it before, and I still think Beth and Tony, most of the adults in fact, are used how Heartbreak High used their adults…purely to be there for the more ‘youth’ orientated storylines - as background characters.

The show has done this to an extent since forever, but the adults used to be a much more important part of the show and its storytelling of the residents in Summer Bay as a whole. Therefore, I find it hard to really get into characters such as Tony or Beth, simply because we don’t get enough from or about them (imo). I’d view Alf, Irene, Morag etc the same way (going off the last couple of years), however as they have had a huge amount of storytelling (compared to the current adults), I see them with a lot more depth and get where they are coming from.

What are your fav Beth storylines? Mine would have to be the break up between her and Rhys - I really loved all of those scenes prior to her finding out (Shelly and Rhys 'affair'...being caught out by Kane...etc) and the climax and aftermath...really well written.

I never saw the episode Scott ‘died’ but I’ve read it was fantastic and Beth did an amazing job. Maybe I'll get to see it one day.

Favourite Beth scenes:

Her dream in which she slapped Shelley across the face.

Explaining to Henry and Matilda on the sofa in Summer Bay House about her break-up with Rhys (very emotional scene).

Crying over Scott's "death"

Crying over Robbie's "death" in his nightmare.

Crying over Matilda's "death".

Crying over Robbie and Kit's "death".

(One of these days one of her kids might actually die!).

Coming to terms with how vile Jack Hunter was and visiting his grave ("Damn you Jack").

Running out of the country house during the bomb episode ("What? What is it? WHAT!")

Confronting Amanda at Graham's wake.

Definately got to agree with you there Ste!

Most of the storylines she's been involved with recently have been reactions to situations her family are in, which have been great, but I think the writers need to develop Beth's own character and give her more personal storylines in 2007 - and by that I don't mean giving her a long lost child :P

Definately got to agree with you there Ste!

Most of the storylines she's been involved with recently have been reactions to situations her family are in, which have been great, but I think the writers need to develop Beth's own character and give her more personal storylines in 2007 - and by that I don't mean giving her a long lost child :P

Lol Dan I wouldn't want that either if it was to be a long lost child then wouldn't be younger or older than them? if they did this silly storyline :P lol yeh Beth slap Shelley was cool and don't forgot the whole Robbie and Kit missing in that chopper crash!!

(One of these days one of her kids might actually die!).

Heh! I remember while they were running the "lost" storyline how Tony and Mattie were giving her a hard time because she couldn't accept that Robbie and Kit were gone. I remember thinking at the time, well why would she believe it? Every time one of her children have died they've been back spitting out babies in no time! I think her kids are like the little kids that cried wolf.

Archived