Another Story About Jack and Martha

Guest Jamey-Maria

• Replies 50
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Well, here it is....Chapter 2. Jamey Maria didn't exactly give me something easy to work with :P and I bet what I came up with was completely unlike what her story was trying to imply, but hey that's what's weird about this whole idea. It was definitely interesting working on from something without knowing what the author had in mind but it was fun! Please review! :)

xGlowingAngelx... you're turn! Enjoy and please update soon! :D

Chapter 2

Slowly, almost cautiously, Martha opened the door to see her parents standing on the doorstep, a slight hint of disapproval in their expressions as they looked at Jack and Martha stood together.

“Mum! Dad!” exclaimed Martha, trying to force some brightness into her smile. “We’re so glad you could come.” Quickly she stepped forward and hugged them both. Then she stepped aside. “Come in.”

“Hi.” said Jack trying to cover his nervousness and yet moving slightly from side to side behind Martha. As her parents walked past them, Martha turned around and looked at the worry on his face. It would have been clear to anyone that Jack wasn’t exactly calm about the prospect of discussing his and Martha’s big decisions over dinner. Martha smiled at him and then lent up, her mouth near his ear.

“Just relax.” she said softly, squeezing his hand reassuringly. Smiling back at her in return he moved towards the dinner table, which had been elaborately set for the occasion.

“Wine?” he asked them. Both nodded and he quickly poured the liquid into their glasses, filling them to the top. In his head, he was only thinking about how the alcohol might just numb the shock that bit more.

Sitting down to dinner, the party engaged in casual chat, Martha’s parents waiting for the news and Martha and Jack trying to work out exactly when to break it to them. The plan was to tell them in a way that would have minimum impact. Quite exactly how they were going to do that, neither were sure, but they had to tell them. Tonight.

Finally as they got onto desert, it seemed that Joan could wait no longer.

“Martha, you invited us here to tell something. What is it?” she asked bluntly. But her pause was only brief. Before Martha could even answer, she continued. “I suppose you’ve finally seen sense and decided to move closer to us? Of course it would make everything a lot easier; we could see you more, not to mention the fact that when you get married I could help you organise the wedding...” Momentarily she paused, smiling at her daughter and then resumed. As she listed off the various pros of her idea all Martha could do was shoot sideways glances at Jack silently crying out for help.

“Erm actually…” started Jack, before he was interrupted by Martha’s father.

“I know!” he said triumphantly. “You’re getting married aren’t you? Of course, it's not exactly what we had hoped but at least you're doing it the right way around! Modern couples these days seem to forget all about the commitment and values of marriage...”

Jack looked uncomfortably at Martha. Leaning in towards her he whispered into her ear.

“Can we chuck them out now?” he joked wryly, as Martha's father continued his rant. Martha gave him a quick smile, before turning to her parents.

“Actually you’re both wrong.” She said as decisively as she could. “I know you guys have only just gotten used to us being a couple. Especially after…what happened last year and you know we’re very grateful for that. However, me and Jack have been discussing this for a while, ever since we found out. We think this is the right decision for us and we hope you will support us in our choices, even though they may not be the traditional ones you were hoping for. You have been so great to me and I really need you to understand where we’re coming from and why we’ve decided to do what we’re going to do.”

Joan looked at them, completely baffled. Next to her, her husband looked at the young couple, just as confused.

“Well…” started Martha. “We’ve decided to move.” Before she could say another word, Ruth had jumped up from the table.

“Wonderful! I knew you would see sense. So you’re moving to Queensland, near us. What road? When? Into one the houses we showed you?”

“Mum…” Martha tried to interrupt gently,

“This is fabulous!”

“Mum!” Martha snapped, sick of trying to get her parents to listen. She decided just to bite the bullet then and there; and face the consequences later.

“We’re moving to New York.” She said hastily. Quiet followed; almost illusionary calm. Jack, thinking it best to get everything out in the open followed on straight afterwards.

“And we both don’t believe in marriage so there will not be a marriage before we leave.” He said, answering Joan before she could even ask the question of whether there would be a wedding. Martha then chose to continue with their final bit of news.

“And we’re going to start our family there because…”

“Martha’s pregnant.” concluded Jack. Silence ensued, before as predicted all hell broke loose.

OMG.... I was looking forward to this and you've ruined it with your fantastic chapter that I know will be impossible to continue from. Fool!

Anyway, as I've only just read it, I need time to think what I should write, which means next chapter will be up tomorrow (UK time) as I'm too tired to use my brain. lol.

OH. MY. GOD!!! Why did i agree to do this, you put me to shame, lol. I was sitting there thinking 'what the hell is the secret' And i was the flippin one who introdced it! :P Wow, this should be good to see what you come up with xGlowingAngelx. Fabulous jackandmartha!!! :D

Archived